Changes for next week vs Hawthorn

titan_uranus

Won't happen, but on today's performance

IN: Frawley

Out: Rivers

Totally agree. It should happen. Rivers needs time at Casey on how to man up and kick to a target (by that I mean a team mate not the opposition). He was useless today and has not been the same since his injury. Jones could use some kicking practice too but love the way he tries his heart out and his aggression. Great to see Maloney in good form with effective disposals.

IN: Warnock, Frawley

OUT: Rivers, Davey (based on the past of the tribunal will get 1 or 2 weeks, SOFT)

Frawley on Budd Face

Warnock on Roughnut

Garland on Hale (if needed)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought MacDonald was good. But it seems I'm the only one...

He may get suspended from the MRP. Given that Frawley seems to be right, that might be the change. If he's not suspended, I'm not sure who would make way for Chip. Rivers was worse than MacDonald IMO. Maric didn't live up to the pre-season form either, but that's not exactly a like-for-like swap.

I'm actually thinking Chippa on Buddy, like last season. Best defender on best forward.

Garland will do well on Roughead, because he is a lot stronger than he looks and should be able to match him in the air and on the burst.

Rivers could take Hale, but he'll struggle in the air. If you put Martin on him you are basically making Jamar ruck for 98% of the match, and that's risky.

I'd look at Warnock for Hale, but gees he was horrible in the pre-season and he is "poo your pants when he has the ball" type of player.

In the end I think they'll go with Frawley, Garland and Rivers and McDonald will get the chop. He doesn't have an immediate match up that comes to mind, and he has to stop the brain explosions. When he's good, he's great, when he's bad, he's damn right woeful and he really really hurt us with his stupidity.

To be honest though, the Hawthorn midfield is going to be the issue for us, as it is every time we play them. They always smash us, and I would seriously consider giving Maric the dodgy sub vest and bringing in Gysberts. Even if he doesn't do much, it'll be a great learning experience for him.

I don't think Chips gonna be up for next week, & I don't think we'll need him the week after.

http://www.finalsiren.com/Fixture.asp?SeasonID=2011&TeamID=16

So, I think we may go with Warnock for Roughead.

Garland for Buddy.

Grimes for Burgoyne.

Martin to Hale

Grimes for Burgoyne.

hurts to look at, think that wouldnt be too gooder idea, possibly bail.. i would like to see grimes on the worst forward so that he can run off and not be as accountable, not someone who will punish us on the turn over or punish grimes if he was 2-3 m away from him!

hurts to look at, think that wouldnt be too gooder idea, possibly bail.. i would like to see grimes on the worst forward so that he can run off and not be as accountable, not someone who will punish us on the turn over or punish grimes if he was 2-3 m away from him!

I'd want someone to stop him (Burgoyne), getting the ball and hurting us with his possesions. The turnover factor is after that fact.

Grimes can kick, he just needs to settle and make better decisions with the ball.

I'd want someone to stop him (Burgoyne), getting the ball and hurting us with his possesions. The turnover factor is after that fact.

Grimes can kick, he just needs to settle and make better decisions with the ball.

yeh i wasnt refering so much to grimes turning it over, but rather he is a lynch pin in our set up and attack and is not very accountable for his man, and as burgoyne needs close attention this would not be ideal, i would rather bail does a job much like he did on josh kennedy today, and follows him all over the field and runs hard to negate him.

ohhhh tapscott, tappy on burgoyne!!!!

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

Anyone that says Warnock on Roughead should be banned.

Warnock plays Roughead into form whenever he goes near him.

I just hope Chip plays so every Hawk forward has to play on him.

Out: Joel MacDonald

In: Frawley

Macdonald is physical and courageous but offers little apart from that. Can't really play on a genuine tall and not really quick enough for mids and does not make great decisions or execute well.

Rivers at least reads the play well and spoils well. But much like Macdonald his decision making and execution are mediocre. Should not be given a licence to be creative because too often it leads to a turnover.

Great Tapscott's decision making and execution were fantastic. Strauss was an emergency and he is another who executes well by foot so we need to get games into him.

Frawley hasn't played a single game and has been out for 8 weeks.

I'd be surprised if he played next week considering there are now only 3 on the bench. Even Hodge played a whole game at Box Hill this week. It's hard to carry unfit players with a 3 man bench. It's even harder when people are picking him to play on Buddy in his first game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Warnock is brought in for Roughead, with Rivers taking Hale and Garland getting Buddy.

Hard to think Gysberts would be totally decisive but I'd like to see him if he's fit enough. Good at stoppages & against Hawthorn especially we struggle in that department.

Frawley in.

I just can't see the confusion. Rivers infuriates the s@$* out of me. Gotta go, permanently would be nice. But the FD seem to love him and it's just not gonna happen for some reason. He just has such suspect intent in a contest, can't kick to save himself and makes dodgy decisions. Joely Mac may not be the best out there but does some good stuff (mixed with some rubbish) but he has a mongrel our team needs. I want Maric to get a chance as I loved his preseason and I'd like to see him have a little time to settle. That said I don't believe we can afford to hold back Petterd. Not certain how to solve that conundrum, but they need to work it out. Just as a joyful aside, how good was Tappy? What a debut that was, something we can all really get excited about I reckon.

Rivers could take Hale, but he'll struggle in the air. If you put Martin on him you are basically making Jamar ruck for 98% of the match, and that's risky.

Hale has to have stints in the ruck so Martin could simply play on him when he plays up forward then follow him into the Ruck thus allowing Jamar a sufficent rest.

Bailey still seems to be a few weeks away for the Hawks so they will have to go again with Renouf and Hale. We should definitely have an advantage in the ruck against the Hawks.

Maric deserves and needs a few games in the senior team. He will never develop if he is always in and out of the team. He has talent, let him show it for 4-5 weeks at least

In Frawley

Out: Rivers or Macdonald

people calling for maric to be dropped i feel are harsh, didnt have the best games, but had 3 direct goal assists?

One of them was a beauty. City end. Great vision to see Green, top choice not to attempt to kick it himself (he was 20 metres out directly in front) and good skills to hit him with the handball

yeh i wasnt refering so much to grimes turning it over, but rather he is a lynch pin in our set up and attack and is not very accountable for his man, and as burgoyne needs close attention this would not be ideal, i would rather bail does a job much like he did on josh kennedy today, and follows him all over the field and runs hard to negate him.

ohhhh tapscott, tappy on burgoyne!!!!

The Hawks have many players to be watched closely anywhere forward of their defensive 50Arc.

Not many that don't damage.

Maric deserves and needs a few games in the senior team. He will never develop if he is always in and out of the team. He has talent, let him show it for 4-5 weeks at least

In Frawley

Out: Rivers or Macdonald

Players do not deserve a game when they do not do the basics like put their body on the line and apply pressure.

The changes I would like to see for next week are:-

A lot less kicks getting smothered - we need to push back harder after a mark before playing on and more awarness in general play.

Better set shot-kicking for goal.

Less clangers.

Oh, you mean team changes...

/shrug

The changes I would like to see for next week are:-

A lot less kicks getting smothered - we need to push back harder after a mark before playing on and more awarness in general play.

Better set shot-kicking for goal.

Less clangers.

Oh, you mean team changes...

/shrug

I agre completely

The thing that most disapoints me even though a draw was good is the fact that we havent improved in these areas since last year

Decision making

Inside 50s

Clearances

Forward tackling pressure

Kick ins

I dont know what DB has to do but he hasnt done it

One of them was a beauty. City end. Great vision to see Green, top choice not to attempt to kick it himself (he was 20 metres out directly in front) and good skills to hit him with the handball

Agree bin man and if watts can get a season of games surely maric deserves two in a row.

I thought he was very stiff last year to get dropped after the last swans game.

Edited by old dee