Lucas Cook

Brayshaw Self

I thought Lucas Cook was absolutely fantastic and showed he is a genuine CHF with a high work rate; collecting several balls up the ground and making second and third efforts capped off with strong marking and beautiful kicking and was unlucky not to kick a goal. I haven't noticed anyone else give him a rap and was just wondering about other people's thoughts?

really like the look of him.

Makes good decisions, good skill execution, seems like a smart footballer.

He won't make a real impact until 2013 because he's so skinny, but looks like he's got a build to really fill out big time.

Love the way we've recruited recently- Jurrah, Watts, Cook, Bate and Howe and suddenly I believe our tall forward options are pretty good going forward

really like the look of him.

Makes good decisions, good skill execution, seems like a smart footballer.

He won't make a real impact until 2013 because he's so skinny, but looks like he's got a build to really fill out big time.

Love the way we've recruited recently- Jurrah, Watts, Cook, Bate and Howe and suddenly I believe our tall forward options are pretty good going forward

Is Bate recent?? :P

He is a guy that could really find himself in the deep end if guys like Cook and Howe (and even Tapscott) shine through in seasons to come.

Bate looked in good nick last night too, a lot more mobile than in recent years.

Agree. He is ready to go (currently) this year, unlike the last couple where I have thought he was 'short of a gallop or two' in the early rounds of the regular season.

edit: pretty much Nasher's assessment.

I thought so too. It's especially early for him too - historically I've seen him as being very slow to get going early in the season.

Bate has always had lots of injuries, and he's always taken a really long time to get back consistency and mobility coming back from injuries. He's had a full pre-season so hopefully he has a good year.

Bate is someone who is particularly vulnerable to a bad preseason. But fit i think he can be very damaging. After last night it seemed to me that he has addressed the iissue of his turning circle.

Cook looked impressive to me, hard to see exactly what his weaknesses are from just last night, looks to have a lot of bases covered.

Whilst I'm not sold on Bate, he definitely looked better last night than for most of 2010. He needs to keep that up through the pre-season to ensure he's in the Round 1 side.

Like JA says, if he plays like that and stays fit he adds another dimension to a forward line that is starting to take real shape. Jurrah, Watts, Green, Petterd, Bate, Dunn and add Wonaeamirri, Davey/Jetta at times, even Maric who kicked a couple, and the paths to goal are a lot more obvious than in 2007-2009.

As for Cook, I haven't seen the Port Adelaide game but maybe he's the cherry on the top (not this year, but in the next 2-5).

Bate - still got work to do before round 1. Just doesn't have the agility to put on the forward pressure so needs to take advantage of every opportunity with the ball. That doesn't just mean kicking long bombs but also linking up effectively by hand. He's looking very trim but has serious competition in Jurrah/Dunn/Petterd/Green as marking mid size forwards. You couldn't play all 5 of them in the same side. Howe is another in the same category.

Cook - very promising start. Moves nicely, uses it well and showed a decent set of hands. I wonder if he can show a bit in the VFL this year whether he is worth getting into the side very early (end of this year and 2012) to play along side Watts as true tall forwards. I don't think you can win a flag just with Jurrah/Watts/and a resting ruck. I think you need a permanent marking forward with a big body and for that reason I'd think of fast-tracking Cook if he shows enough.

The other 2 young guys to impress were Dan Nicholson and Michael Evans. Both made enough of a first impression to make me think they are a good chance at getting off the rookie list at some stage. Evans looks a clean player, similar to a mini Trengove. Athletically he might be a trick short, but he looks a naturally classy type. Nicholson reminded me of a first year Bartram with his speed and hardness. His kicking looks acceptable as well. With Bruce gone there is a spot to take in the backline and being a bit older than most recruits he could be a chance to grab it.

Bate has to keep his feet in contests because he has all the agility of a turtle so once he's down, he's out.

That really is my one big problem with him, he's too lumbering and slow for a non KPF player. At best he's a third tall. It'll be interesting to see how he, Dunn, Cook and Howe line up in seasons to come.

cook was very vrey impressive! alot better then that other bloke that was gunna be number one couple of years ago.. john butcher? lol anyways cook seemed real mobile and quick to. got good clean hands and his kicking skills is top notch. will form a very dynamic duo with watts and jurrah and howe aswell.

Bate was impressive aswell. as alot have said he did look alot agile and seems to be moving freely. bate has that x factor to snag goals when pressure is on. i rate him very highly and would like to see him get a bit of [censored] about him.

Cook was All Australian CHF last year so it should not surprise that he is a player of quality. Before last night I expected that he would be kept in cotton wool for a year or two to allow him to grow physically into an AFL footballer's body. The schedule might be pushed forward a little in view of his game yesterday. Compared with PA's Butcher who was also a top notch young KPP, I think he's in front.

Bate - still got work to do before round 1. Just doesn't have the agility to put on the forward pressure so needs to take advantage of every opportunity with the ball. That doesn't just mean kicking long bombs but also linking up effectively by hand. He's looking very trim but has serious competition in Jurrah/Dunn/Petterd/Green as marking mid size forwards. You couldn't play all 5 of them in the same side. Howe is another in the same category.

Cook - very promising start. Moves nicely, uses it well and showed a decent set of hands. I wonder if he can show a bit in the VFL this year whether he is worth getting into the side very early (end of this year and 2012) to play along side Watts as true tall forwards. I don't think you can win a flag just with Jurrah/Watts/and a resting ruck. I think you need a permanent marking forward with a big body and for that reason I'd think of fast-tracking Cook if he shows enough.

The other 2 young guys to impress were Dan Nicholson and Michael Evans. Both made enough of a first impression to make me think they are a good chance at getting off the rookie list at some stage. Evans looks a clean player, similar to a mini Trengove. Athletically he might be a trick short, but he looks a naturally classy type. Nicholson reminded me of a first year Bartram with his speed and hardness. His kicking looks acceptable as well. With Bruce gone there is a spot to take in the backline and being a bit older than most recruits he could be a chance to grab it.

Bate, Dunn & Howe are all tall forwards at 192cm+.

They don't belong grouped with Jurrah, Petterd & Green as mid-sized forwards.

Bate looked in good nick last night too, a lot more mobile than in recent years.

I have never thought mobility was an issue. His kicking is one of our best. For a shot on goal after the siren, I'd give it to him. His problem is one sidedness, but lefties often get away with that. It's his marking that is a problem. He rarely takes a competative overhead mark because he cann't jump. Probably the smallest vertical leap in the AFL. Now that we have Jurrah and Watts and sometime resting ruck this problem is not as bad as it used to be. Bate and Miller as high marking forwards was a joke. Thank goodness that era is well and truly behind us.

I'm liking Bate as a leading high half forward, leading several times and using his running ability to take marks around 70m out from goal and kicking the odd long bomb.

We've got enough quality now that we can let him play to his strengths, don't need him to play as a tall marking forward.

Our forward line has plenty of options loving that.

I think Watts and Cook will be a ripper combination in years to come

The thing that most stood out for me with Lucas Cook was a lack of panic. The first time I spotted him (being certain it was him, anyway), he fumbled a little, suddenly was in a bit of trouble with a man on him, but kept his head and got the ball out to a teammate. Little things like that make me like a player.

Meanwhile, Bate did the Bate thing - he hustled, he bustled, he made a lot of good efforts. He didn't always have things go his way and didn't always deliver brilliant moments, but he is a hard worker with a few handy weapons and I'm hoping he gets to play out another 100+ games in our forward line. He's the kind of player who delivers top value for salary cap space taken - he isn't the flashy matchwinner or star attraction type that sees salaries fly up, but his contribution is solid and he won't often 'fail'.

It's funny, there's a little cluster of that type all in a row, sorted by age. Bate, Dunn, Jones and Bartram. All 23 years old at the start of the season, all closing in on 100 games. All would have to be a little nervous about where they'll be in another 100 games, but have shown enough that it will be in their hands to shape it.

Guest DeesPower

Bate, Dunn & Howe are all tall forwards at 192cm+.

They don't belong grouped with Jurrah, Petterd & Green as mid-sized forwards.

I think you can say Jurrah plays tall and can therefore hold down

a key position. He is listed as 188cm although he looks much taller than that. I'm told by a doctor who has been close to the club that he has unusually long arms hence combined with his amazing vertical leap make him so difficult to match up on, more difficult IMO than most so called power forwards. Being so quick, like Watts also helps as well.

I really enjoyed it when colin Sylvia sent a long bomb in and three Power players jump on the Russian and big Jack casually outmarked them from behind. If the Russian can get thatsort of attention up forward, it is going to make LJ's, JW's, and RP's job so much easier and potent.

The fact that the Russian consistently takes powerful pack marks all over the ground will only make the opposition so much more conscious of him when he goes forward as well.

Overall, having watched the games again tonight on Foxtel IQ, I must sayit was overall a very encouraging performance. By the way, does anyone know who we are likely to play in the quarter-finals?