Pre Season/Rookie Drafts

DeeVoted

Does anyone know of anylocal players who aren't in the mainstream (national draft) and who should / could be considered to be a rookie listed Demon?

Perhaps the next Podsiadly or Barlow?

I came across a youngish full forward that hasn't drawn a lot of mention anywhere. Grant Weeks, 22 yro, plays in the Bendigo League, Kicked 157 goals this year.

We have 5 spots on our rookie list, might be worth a punt?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Simpson -- I was tracking earlier this year

As a possible to be a rookie for 2011.

Apart from getting rubbed out for burying a guy in a tackle

in a Casey Game this year. (still digging out body parts)

Didnt do a lot to impress.

I thought maybe they put him under wraps as not to

draw too much attention from other clubs.

Now reflecting back, not sure if he warrants a rookie spot.

Big strong , the type we need up front. Still young enough

With Miller gone, Maybe he could be the hard guy we want in the forward setup

http://www.footypost.com.au/geelong/players/scott-simpson

Scott Simpson -- I was tracking earlier this year

As a possible to be a rookie for 2011.

Apart from getting rubbed out for burying a guy in a tackle

in a Casey Game this year. (still digging out body parts)

Didnt do a lot to impress.

I thought maybe they put him under wraps as not to

draw too much attention from other clubs.

Now reflecting back, not sure if he warrants a rookie spot.

Big strong , the type we need up front. Still young enough

With Miller gone, Maybe he could be the hard guy we want in the forward setup

http://www.footypost.com.au/geelong/players/scott-simpson

I was only a few feet away from that tackle. I kept an eye on him when I could and really liked the way he moves. I agree he hasn't torn any games apart which you'd want him to have done at that level, but he has all the physical attributes we want.

What's the latest on Robert Campbell?

He was touted as a GC snare but I can't for the life of me remember if that happened or not.

Would be happy to have a rookie spot for him over the other discarded rucks like Taylor or Skipper....

What's the latest on Robert Campbell?

He was touted as a GC snare but I can't for the life of me remember if that happened or not.

Would be happy to have a rookie spot for him over the other discarded rucks like Taylor or Skipper....

Ex Hawk Robert Campbell?

AFAIK has nominated for this years (2010) ND.

Could be a bit proppy - originally retired with a knee injury.

Well the national draft's over. Time to move on ...

We have six more picks in the rookie draft and it should be a lot more interesting that last year when we regurgitated Juice Newton and John Meesen.

The interest factor in this draft will be heightened by the fact that clubs can pick mature age rookies and very few recycled players went in the national draft. In addition, Cameron Bruce's defection means that one of our rookies is automatically eligible to be placed on the senior list.

Some big names are likely to be taken in both the PSD and the Rookie Draft.

We just need Redleg or someone else on here to tell us how many days to go :)

Some big names are likely to be taken in both the PSD and the Rookie Draft.

We just need Redleg or someone else on here to tell us how many days to go :)

Happy to oblige WJ, 19 days to go. Enjoy your holiday up north and see if you can find a potential rookie up there for us.

I still think we need insurance on the Big Russian. If Jamar cops a bad injury, we are in some king of trouble. Spencer is the next best, and while I would like to see him play a bit as 2nd ruck to Jamar, the idea of him as first ruck (with maybe Fitzpatrick or Gawn as second) does not inspire confidence. In that scenario, we may well miss the finals.

I'd like to see us rookie a mature bodied ruckman. Needs to last for 2 years, until Spencer/Gawn/Fitzpatrick can really step up. This rookie may never play a senior game if Jamar stays fit, but if required should be able to step in to take the hard bruises if Jamar isn't there.

One prospect I see is Orren Stephenson from North Ballarat. But I haven't looked at a full list of rookie hopefuls, and there may be some recycled gems lying in wait. But some such big tall toughie is needed. For two years.

I thought Walker, Andreoli and Fitzgerald were all good enough to get drafted.

Let's hope at least one gets to us as a rookie.

With the type of player we drafted last night you would think the likes of Walker and Fitzgerald are out of the equation. It would be handy to pick up a ruckman, some running defenders and midfielders. Perhaps, one or two mature age players of which there are likely to be plenty about.