• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Ashley Hansen

Range Rover

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What irritates me is his statement :-

"The Demons are in the market for an experienced tall forward to help protect rising young stars Liam Jurrah and Jack Watts."

Surely no official at the club would have said that to the press - it must be speculation on his part put as a fact.

Rhino you are amazing, Hansen still had a year to run on his contract, so why should he walk?

He has been injury prone, but still deserved to be treated better than what he was, but feel free to have your own views. We all know them!! B)

Rhino aside, this aint hard.

1. Hansen has a year to go on his contract with the weagles

1a Weagles must have someone they want in the PSD

2. Hansen is a significant contributor in a good/top side

3. Hansen has little or no impact in a bottom side

4. If a side picks him up (wherever - PSD or rookie), he will be cheap - weagles paying the 1st year of any contract

Thus:

* surely only a top 4/6 side would be interested

* not MFC

I would expect that any diligent recruiter would 'think about him' - they would be failing on their duty were they not to.

IMO though, MFC BP et al would say along the lines of ' maybe a year or few back ' but no way now.

This means West Coast will receive a pick in the PSD now, right? (or another PSD pick).

Since they opted out of the draft early, it says to me that a player or 2 in particular that they expected to be picked up, either wasn't, or they've changed their minds on someone.

I imagine they'd be fairly keen on a bloke like Blayne Wilson, in spite of his horrible name.

Or even Tyler Chalwell.

That's the only logical reason I can think of to delist any player, at this stage, when they have another year remaining on their contract.

Edit: in fact, having checked the full draft, they pulled out at 29 as the rest of their spots were allocated to 3 upgraded rookies and a F/S pick that no other clubs wanted to bid on.

Looks like they rated someone highly enough to knife Hansen so they could get the kid in the PSD.

Edited by E25

The Eagles are not going to delist a KP Forward who has something to offer

Woosha said his body isn't able to sustain the role they need him to play

His career so far suggests that Woosha is correct

Its a NO from me

Besides i have a feeling we might recruit Mitch Thorp

Edited by Swampfox

Fair dinkum fellas, every single prospect gets shot down here, if it was up to the majority of Demonland posters we would have about 4 players on our list...

Teams don't always look to pick up superstars, or even players who will be in the best 22, depth is massively important in modern football, if we pick up Hansen and he never plays a game who cares?! Not really losing anything, and if it turns out we happen to need him and he has a few good games then it's a win. He wouldn't be around for long anyways, just long enough for some insurance so our young forwards aren't rushed ahead of time.

I totally understand the points about Miller, but how often do we see a change of scenery, opportunity, and motivation get a players career back on track.

Sick of the argument about "will he be in our premiership team?", would Hansen be? 99% no, but are we realistically setting ourselves for a premiership next year? No. So who knows? Maybe he can fill a role, even though it would be a very small one, but every bit helps.

Fair dinkum fellas, every single prospect gets shot down here, if it was up to the majority of Demonland posters we would have about 4 players on our list...

Teams don't always look to pick up superstars, or even players who will be in the best 22, depth is massively important in modern football, if we pick up Hansen and he never plays a game who cares?! Not really losing anything, and if it turns out we happen to need him and he has a few good games then it's a win. He wouldn't be around for long anyways, just long enough for some insurance so our young forwards aren't rushed ahead of time.

I totally understand the points about Miller, but how often do we see a change of scenery, opportunity, and motivation get a players career back on track.

Sick of the argument about "will he be in our premiership team?", would Hansen be? 99% no, but are we realistically setting ourselves for a premiership next year? No. So who knows? Maybe he can fill a role, even though it would be a very small one, but every bit helps.

Excellent post.

It has nothing to do with what I know

Good. It shows. You already made a judgement on his termination without the facts. Well done.

Its also a fact that the coach made unnecessary and damaging (to his prospects) comments when he didn't need to say anything other than thanking Hansen for his contributions etc and wishing him the best etc.

So what if Hansen saw it coming or not, we are talkimg about how the CLUB handled it

Worsfold has said his body wont hold up to the demands WCE will place on him. The guy has played 24 games in 3 years. Less than half a dozen in 2 years. Damaging comments please. You take other Clubs for fools :rolleyes:

Anyway, carry on with your hardening up

You could do with some precious.

Rhino you are amazing, Hansen still had a year to run on his contract, so why should he walk?

Do you actually know if he had been told some time ago that he was not part of the Weagles picture and if his manager had made enquiries elsewhere for a trade?

1. Hansen has a year to go on his contract with the weagles

1a Weagles must have someone they want in the PSD

2. Hansen is a significant contributor in a good/top side

3. Hansen has little or no impact in a bottom side

4. If a side picks him up (wherever - PSD or rookie), he will be cheap - weagles paying the 1st year of any contract

Thus:

* surely only a top 4/6 side would be interested

* not MFC

Have the Eagles paid Hansen out? I dont think they can cut a contract without paying it out. Anyone taking him in the PSD will take on a new contract with Hansen.

Hansen was a good contributor in 2006. Was being the operative word. Your conclusions are flawed.

Good. It shows. You already made a judgement on his termination without the facts. Well done.

Worsfold has said his body wont hold up to the demands WCE will place on him. The guy has played 24 games in 3 years. Less than half a dozen in 2 years. Damaging comments please. You take other Clubs for fools :rolleyes:

You could do with some precious.

Do you actually know if he had been told some time ago that he was not part of the Weagles picture and if his manager had made enquiries elsewhere for a trade?

Have the Eagles paid Hansen out? I dont think they can cut a contract without paying it out. Anyone taking him in the PSD will take on a new contract with Hansen.

Hansen was a good contributor in 2006. Was being the operative word. Your conclusions are flawed.

As usual Rhino you TOTALLY miss the point

The discussion had nothing to do with whether Hansen was washed up or not. It was just about how WC handled it.

Its not a capital case, but it was just poorly handled

Why you would defend a basket case club like WC is beyond me

You have just speculated and added no facts to the discussion (whats new)

I don't know why I even bother responding to a cyber bully like you

Why you would defend a basket case club like WC is beyond me

You have just speculated and added no facts to the discussion (whats new)

I am not defending them at all. In fact I dont like them anymore than other posters here. But I am not going on a torch lighting effort like you based on info. snippets in the media.

But a number of posters like you have come out and boiled WCE for its handling when yours and others grasp of the all the facts is superficial at best and overplaying the anguish.

He did have a year to run on his contract.

For which he would be paid.

"I thought my body was good enough to play a role for side, but the club sees it differently. That's a tough call, but I respect it and look forward to the next opportunity wherever that may be."

"I have had a terrific time at the club, and feel privileged to have played with so many champions of the game. I would also like to thank all the staff that have supported me so I could achieve what I have."

"The next chapter now begins and I will take time to assess what lies ahead both in and away from football."

Doesn't sound like he's too bitter or the axing was unexpected.

For which he would be paid.

"I thought my body was good enough to play a role for side, but the club sees it differently. That's a tough call, but I respect it and look forward to the next opportunity wherever that may be."

"I have had a terrific time at the club, and feel privileged to have played with so many champions of the game. I would also like to thank all the staff that have supported me so I could achieve what I have."

"The next chapter now begins and I will take time to assess what lies ahead both in and away from football."

Doesn't sound like he's too bitter or the axing was unexpected.

He sounds absolutely crushed by it. How could West Coast do such a terrible thing? :rolleyes:

The problem I have with Hansen (apart from his body and the lack of any exposed form for 3 - 4 years) is the question of how many KPF's can you fit into one club? With so many eggs in the same basket he might be hindering the development of some of the young blokes by keeping them in the Casey twos.

I think that if you're picking players who are no chance of being part of your best 22 then you're setting the bar too low. The only people outside the best 22 that remain on the list are those who the FD would believe have the potential to be part of the best 22 at some stage in the future. Once that starts looking unlikely then you're gone. That could be youths who have fallen short after having a few years to give it a shot (McNamara), or senior players who have been pushed out by better players (Miller, Bell).

Basically, the recruiting policy should be to improve your list, all the time, every year. I don't see adding Hansen to be enhancing our list in any way, because there's not much chance of him challenging for a spot in the side. Who's he going to push out?

Excellent post.

No it wasn't. Not every prospective recruit gets shot down on here, only ones that make no sense - Ash Hansen is one of those. He is a 27yo with a body that's shot and was a very average footballer even when fully fit. Why would we even look at this guy when we just delisted Brad Miller - he is worse. And I'm not buying the "he's a premiership player" or "he just had a great WAFL season" arguments either. Plenty of pretty marginal footballers have premiership medallions and Miller (and even PJ) manage to dominate at the next level down.

I'm all for looking to improve our list but improve is the operative word here. Someone like Hale may have been able to provide that but just because we couldn't get him doesn't mean we need to chase down every rejected tall going around. Our forward line this year is likely to see Green, Jurrah, Watts, Petterd, Bate, Dunn, Jamar and maybe Martin or even one of the new draftees spending time as marking targets. IMO that's enough depth without chasing another NQR for insurance. If, heaven forbid, our entire swag of tall forward options go down, we may as well give Howe or Cook some time like we did for Watts. There's nothing to lose and everything o gain by making sure the players we actually expect to be around in three years are, by then, ready to play their role. The bandaid mentality that some people advocate on here absolutely astounds me.

End rant.

I reckon it's wrong to delist a contracted player at this stage of the process. The only clubs with live primary list picks appear to be Essendon and Gold Coast. Maybe one of them has an interest. Otherwise it's straight to the rookie draft.

I reckon it's wrong to delist a contracted player at this stage of the process. The only clubs with live primary list picks appear to be Essendon and Gold Coast. Maybe one of them has an interest. Otherwise it's straight to the rookie draft.

I aree. I have no issue with the decision itself, but the timing is a bit off IMO. As a club, they're not giving the player a fair opportunity to restart his career. He might not have much possibility of restarting it anyway, but that's the player's decision to make.

I can not see one logical reason (apart from the fact he was a demons supporter as a kid :) ) to draft Ashley Hansen.

I find it bizarre that we are even discussing it at this length

Two words daisy....off season

I understand all of the above comments, however we also now have 3 tall forwards under 21, and although Howe may be of size Watts and Cook are still lean. Hanson is a premiership player and to have him on the rookie list to try and guide and teach our young forwards isn't the worst idea.

That said, if there is young good talent available for the FD to pickup in the rookie I would certainly suggest taking that first. Sorry just abit of devil's advocate