Ashley Hansen

Range Rover

Ashley Hansen

* Is a 27yo, 198cm and 95kg mature bodied KPF and can pinch hit in the ruck;

* Others favoured at the Eagles but still kicked 46 goals in 10 games for Swan Districts in 2010;

* Fills an immediate need for us while our gangly new talls develop; and

* Keen to get a second chance elsewhere and says his body is up to it.

Worth a punt in the PSD?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't. Not with all the height we have now. He'd be only a pickup for 2011, maybe 2012... and during this time we have to squeeze in Gawn and Fitzpatrick who are highly rated at the club, along with one or two of the big four we just picked up that might come on quicker than expected.

Gone are the days of having an old and tired Neitz/Robbo/Ooze/White and needing to top up. There's no room on this list for outside chances, as good as Scully would have made him look. MFC spots are getting rarer and rarer all the time.

Oh. And we already have Juice.

For starters, we don't have a psd pick and even as a rookie I am not keen. But how is west coast's form delisting him this late making it almost impossible for him to find a club, and just as a final kick in the nuts they announce that his body was the reason.

In the end though, probably wouldn't have made much difference, an average footballers who had a better career than most, and a premiership to go with it.

3 years ago I would have taken the punt. But now I would suggest that we put time and development into the big lads we have drafter over the past 2 drafts.

Nothing against Hansen, but we need to keep building for the future. If James McDonald is sent off into the sunset at age 30, then a 27yo Ashley Hansen has no place on our list.

There's always one isn't there? As long as saying that makes you feel superior, good no you pal.

I was genuinely bemused that someone who's obviously keen enough to post on a footy forum could honestly believe that we'd take an injury prone, one dimensional, forward that's been cut by the wooden spoon team when we've just jettisoned our very own 'not quite right' 27 year old forward in Brad Miller.

That said, I do apologise. Your stupidity briefly got the better of me.

Based on his performance in the WAFL Grand Final this year- hell no! He missed 3 or 4 unbelievably easy shots on goal almost costing Swans the flag!

If he's a shocker at WAFL level how could we possibly expect him to win a game for us at AFL level?

I was genuinely bemused that someone who's obviously keen enough to post on a footy forum could honestly believe that we'd take an injury prone, one dimensional, forward that's been cut by the wooden spoon team when we've just jettisoned our very own 'not quite right' 27 year old forward in Brad Miller.

You almost got through that without resorting to a personal barb, but alas, your ego got the better of you again.

The general consensus is we need a mobile forward/ruck option to support Jamar and alleviate pressure on Watts and Jurrah. Someone to to do a job for two seasons while Fitzpatrick, Gawn, Cook et al develop and fill out.

I'd love to start a thread with, let's get Jared Roughead or Jonathan Brown but that's not quite realistic is it. I've heard John Anthony and Mitch Thorp mentioned in dispatches on this forum, as well as bush league full forwards that no-one has even heard of. So what makes the suggestion of Ash Hansen a 'sick joke' (to use your words) by comparison? He played some excellent footy on the WAFL last year and sorry I don't think you're over the hill at 27. How ridiculous.

Ross Lyon continues to confound critics by giving second chances to blokes delisted by other clubs. Several of them have been more than serviceable for the Saints. I wonder if someone over at Sainsational suggested last week that they should pick up Dean Polo in the draft. One can only imagine the response. Then look what happened.

It's a suggestion. Debate it, criticize it, have a laugh if you want (ie. Redleg), but spare me the 'I'm smarter than you' personal insults. Very weak.

Edited by Range Rover Realism

West Coast doing it like this is shocking. At least we tell the blokes they are no good and get out at the end of the season.

To wait to see what you drafted to see if someone is expendable is...... well words can't describe. Typical Wet Toast through and through, a dog act if ever I saw one.

Feel sorry for him

West Coast doing it like this is shocking. At least we tell the blokes they are no good and get out at the end of the season.

To wait to see what you drafted to see if someone is expendable is...... well words can't describe. Typical Wet Toast through and through, a dog act if ever I saw one.

Feel sorry for him

And some people think we treated Cameron Bruce badly!!! Wet Coke what a disgraceful club. To delist someone 2 days after the draft, cold Heartless and downright nasty.

Hope they claim another spoon next year (they know how to use spoons so well...)

You almost got through that without resorting to a personal barb, but alas, your ego got the better of you again.

The general consensus is we need a mobile forward/ruck option to support Jamar and alleviate pressure on Watts and Jurrah. Someone to to do a job for two seasons while Fitzpatrick, Gawn, Cook et al develop and fill out.

I'd love to start a thread with, let's get Jared Roughead or Jonathan Brown but that's not quite realistic is it. I've heard John Anthony and Mitch Thorp mentioned in dispatches on this forum, as well as bush league full forwards that no-one has even heard of. So what makes the suggestion of Ash Hansen a 'sick joke' (to use your words) by comparison? He played some excellent footy on the WAFL last year and sorry I don't think you're over the hill at 27. How ridiculous.

Ross Lyon continues to confound critics by giving second chances to blokes delisted by other clubs. Several of them have been more than serviceable for the Saints. I wonder if someone over at Sainsational suggested last week that they should pick up Dean Polo in the draft. One can only imagine the response. Then look what happened.

It's a suggestion. Debate it, criticize it, have a laugh if you want (ie. Redleg), but spare me the 'I'm smarter than you' personal insults. Very weak.

The player we need as a rookie for insurance against Jamar getting injured is not a forward (of whatever quality) who can fake it in the ruck, but a genuine ruckman who can step up if Jamar is injured and front for Sepencer/Gawn/Fitzpatrick for two years. Ideally, Jamar will stay fit, and this rookie will never play a senior game for us. But Hansen just doesn't have the right profile. At best, he could be a forward who helps out in the ruck. We need someone who can go in as first ruck.

The player we need as a rookie for insurance against Jamar getting injured is not a forward (of whatever quality) who can fake it in the ruck, but a genuine ruckman who can step up if Jamar is injured and front for Sepencer/Gawn/Fitzpatrick for two years. Ideally, Jamar will stay fit, and this rookie will never play a senior game for us. But Hansen just doesn't have the right profile. At best, he could be a forward who helps out in the ruck. We need someone who can go in as first ruck.

I agree, but if we can't find the right backup ruckman then they should consider bringing in a workmanlike mature bodied KPF for a while. It was extremely frustrating last season watching us enter the forward 50 with no big man option.

Certainly all eyes will be on Spencer during the first few rounds of season 2011. That kid has a huge opportunity to make a name for himself.

Edited by Range Rover Realism

We need to find a back-up ruck who can play forward.

Long term it might come from Cook, Fitzpatrick, or Gawn.

2011 is a different story and the new sub rule doesn't make it easier to take a ruck who doesn't do much else.

Spencer better come on in leap and bounds with his marking and/or one-on-one ability, otherwise we wil have Dunn or Bate as the back-up ruck. I hope not to see Sylvia, but he will be there before Watts for those that think ruck is an option for Jack.

Hansen is a crock and I don't recall much ruckwork from him. He is worth a rookie spot, but might not be worth the time.

Still looking but Spencer might have to do.

Hell, you can always sub 'im...

- 27yo, 198cm and 95kg mature bodied KPF and can pinch hit in the ruck

- Others favoured at the Eagles but still kicked 46 goals in 10 games for Swan Districts in 2010

- Fills an immediate need for us while our gangly new talls develop

- Keen to get a second chance elsewhere and says his body is up to it

Worth a punt in the PSD?

I think that would steal valuable game time & spots from some players that really Need the opportunities & games to develop themselves.

I'm not against rookie-ing a older ruckmen who is on his last legs, who wants some money to sign on & play @ Casey, to be a backup, in case Jamar goes down. BUT if Jamar stays sound,,, I'd be wanting for Spencer & or Martin to get as many chances as we can give to promote there respective games.

We do want wins,,, but much more than that, we need these boys to realise there best form.

Unbelievable. I don't understand why someone such as yourself with your oh so wisdom & insider knowledge of worldly events such as AFL footy,, would bother rubbing keyboards with Riff Raff tragic footy postors such as us.

Your obviously way above this level, but I can't understand Why you venture here when you could be chatting with Vlad Demetriou, or Mike Fitzpatrick or maybe a Kennett would be in your league.

So, why?

Feel sorry for him

And some people think we treated Cameron Bruce badly!!! Wet Coke what a disgraceful club. To delist someone 2 days after the draft, cold Heartless and downright nasty.

Hope they claim another spoon next year (they know how to use spoons so well...)

Garbage. He's 27yo and is out of contract and not getting a game in the wooden spooners team..... Ummmm what would Ashley be thinking.."I'll be right for next year" :wacko:

FFS. Some people on here really need to harden up or get a dose of reality about life in the AFL. :rolleyes:

1) We don't have a pick in the PSD

2) Hansen is a terrible player

3) We don't have a pick in the PSD

We should rookie him because he barracked for MFC as a child.

Feel sorry for him

24 games in three years, two only in 2010.

Does anyone think that every other club in the country wouldn't be aware of Hansens's fragile body, and that he'd have more hope of being picked up if they'd got rid of him earlier (and Worsfold hadn't said he was being delisted because "his body wouldn't hold up")?

The guy's a physical wreck and the whole world knows it. Few would take a risk on him, whether now or a month ago.