Cameron Bruce (ouch)

GRUN DEE

Granted somewhat hearsay but such a stance has appeared in quite a few dispatches out of the media. All a bit 'offf the record- I didn't tell you - etc' but he himself hasn't dispelled that view.

Granted, but I don't recall him saying anything about anything.

Reminds me of the Ball situation last year. He didn't dispel all the false rumours of things he was supposed to have said

So far we have Bruce allegedly saying:

Not happy how McDonald was treated

Its not the money, its the contract length

Its not the contract length, its the money

The fact he has not gone on record to dispel these reports means nothing (I think)

I suspect in the wake of the handling of Jnr's retirement is that Cam may have been told next season will be his last no matter what happens.

I certainly don't suspect such thing. I don't think the club would have gone to such lengths in telling Cam that he will finish next year. That is ludicrous. If anything, they would assess that next year if required, not this year.

The club prefers to put in place one year term contracts for players over 30. Or for other cases that may suit both club & player. ie. Jamar and Miller.

Clearly - as outlined by various media reports - the sticking point isn't financial it is the length of contract. One or two years. The club wants one year, Bruce & Manager want two years.

It is prudent by the club given it's list, given the circumstances of GC & GWS entering the competition, given the management of the list over the forseeable future, given the form and age of Bruce himself, given the playing positions considered by the FD and Coaches, given the youth that are to be given games, and given the fact that the club is on a straight line and they won't deviate from it in pursuit of a flag - that they won't budge on their offer.

It is most likely prudent by Bruce's manager to secure the best welfare for client Bruce.

That's where it is at, we'll see soon who bends over for who. Or whether one seeks something entirely different.

Why contract a bloke for two when one will fit your requirements? Many are fast and loose spendind the clubs money !! :rolleyes:

I could mount the same argument for a large number of players. It would have been better for the club to have tied Strauss and Blease to one-year deals this year. In previous years we have given longer-term deals to Cheney, Newton, Maric and Meeson. There is/was an element of risk in all of these deals.

The risk with Bruce is that his form slips away and that he is being overpaid in the second year of the deal. There is no major risk in him clogging the list, as he is only taking the place of a rookie. Given his durability and consistency I think two years is a reasonable risk to take.

Probably agree many players get longer paper than ought but don't forget the rationale with 2 and 3 year deals for upcoming kids is to keep them out of the clutches of gc and gws. Such worry doesn't apply to Bruce. he's on the last laps so why throw any more choccies his way than necessary? If he wants better then off you go Cam with our blessing.. .. Good luck with that

I saw Cam in Melbourne last week so I doubt the hold-up has been him being overseas. Really hope the club holds firm on a one year deal - we don't want a scenario like Brad Johnson (or David Neitz for that matter). I realise he's concerned about being shipped off for being too old but if he deserves a contract after next year, I'm sure the club will offer him one (especially given his veteran status). If he doesn't then one year was a fair call anyway. No benefit to offering two IMO.

I repeat- Ricky Nixon ,his Manager stated this morning Cam is overseas.

Seems to be a more common scenario these days that players with outstanding contract issues seem to be "overseas". I expect most players would ensure all messy paperwork is tidied up with important career issues at stake soon after the end of the season unless there are some difficulties. And Deemolition did say he saw him last week.

Edited by america de cali

and a manager would never bend "convenient ' truths ?? Hows Ricky going with trams these days !!

I could mount the same argument for a large number of players. It would have been better for the club to have tied Strauss and Blease to one-year deals this year. In previous years we have given longer-term deals to Cheney, Newton, Maric and Meeson. There is/was an element of risk in all of these deals.

The risk with Bruce is that his form slips away and that he is being overpaid in the second year of the deal. There is no major risk in him clogging the list, as he is only taking the place of a rookie. Given his durability and consistency I think two years is a reasonable risk to take.

Why not give him 1 year with an option for another if he finishes top 10 b&f ?

Why not give him 1 year with an option for another if he finishes top 10 b&f ?

That sort of arrangement would mean we'd have to give a contract for 2011.

Not a wise decision.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Bruce won't be going to the gold coast. On Afl Trade Week Radio, Scott Clayton (list mgr at the Suns) has said the last two uncontracted players they'll be signing are Josh Fraser and Jared Brennan.

They planned to add just 8 uncontracted players, and these two would give them that 8. So it looks like Melbourne now becomes Bruce's only real option (unless some other team is trying to get him) and Richmond becomes Brad Millers main option.

I would have expected his contract issues to have been long resolved unless there was some interest in him elsewhere. Being in his twilight years, he's is in no position to stonewall on length of contract without some external leverage. This brings up the question. Does he still really want to play with us or not?

I would have expected his contract issues to have been long resolved unless there was some interest in him elsewhere. Being in his twilight years, he's is in no position to stonewall on length of contract without some external leverage. This brings up the question. Does he still really want to play with us or not?

Yes he does- the issue is a 1 year or 2 year contract.He will agree to a one year IMO. possibly over the weekend.

No need to repeat, but thanks. I am not disputing the fact that Cam is overseas, just that his contract negotiations have been at a stalemate for some time and he has been overeas for at most a few days. There are clearly other issues involved.

SpyandSource on Twitter nominates that GC deadline for naming uncontracted players is 2pm with Fraser a likely and Bruce a possibility.

I'm paraphrasing, cos I can't copy & paste.

I'm not sure why so much worth is put in his tweets or who he/she is, but it seems a credible source.

Edit: here we go

Expect a bit more action today with the deadline for GC to name any uncontracted player signings at 2pm. Tip is Fraser and maybe Bruce

Edited by E25

SpyandSource on Twitter nominates that GC deadline for naming uncontracted players is 2pm with Fraser a likely and Bruce a possibility.

I'm paraphrasing, cos I can't copy & paste.

I'm not sure why so much worth is put in his tweets or who he/she is, but it seems a credible source.

What will we get in return? Played over 200 games, high in the best and fairest, leading brownlow vote getter.

I have thought it quite strange, heading into trade week with Bruce still uncontracted and we've not really heard a peep about him.

I imagine, considering his age, but also his b&f finishes of recent years and games played...

2nd round pick. Possibly an end-of-1st round if we're really lucky. That seems to be the standard unless you're a really poor player (Krakouer)

Bruce won't be going to the gold coast. On Afl Trade Week Radio, Scott Clayton (list mgr at the Suns) has said the last two uncontracted players they'll be signing are Josh Fraser and Jared Brennan.

They planned to add just 8 uncontracted players, and these two would give them that 8. So it looks like Melbourne now becomes Bruce's only real option (unless some other team is trying to get him) and Richmond becomes Brad Millers main option.

Just thought i'd repost this because some of you seem to be thinking Cam is still a chance to go to the GC.

Collingwood, Brisbane and the GC have just announced a 3 way trade that send Fraser and Brennan to the GC giving them there 8 vet players they wanted.

BRUCE, therefore could not be going to the GC.

Just thought i'd repost this because some of you seem to be thinking Cam is still a chance to go to the GC.

Collingwood, Brisbane and the GC have just announced a 3 way trade that send Fraser and Brennan to the GC giving them there 8 vet players they wanted.

PHEW!!!!

Not one player shuttled off to Gold Coast. Well done Dees. Great list mangement. :)

They can take more than that pm24, it's just whether they choose to or not. I too heard Clayton on the radio, but I wont be convinced until 2pm passes.

On the other hand, they can still get him via a trade. So, until the end of trade week, Bruce is still a chance of going to the GC.

On the other hand, they can still get him via a trade. So, until the end of trade week, Bruce is still a chance of going to the GC.

Theoretically true billy, but why would they waste a pick in trades when they can get him for "free" via uncontracted rules?

Repost it all you like, he's still a chance until 2pm.

Clayton could be (shock horror!) lying.

I can't see any motives to, but it's still a possibility.

Carlton are also into Brennan. It could be Bruce.

We'll know by the deadline today regarding the uncontracted players for the GC. So fasten your seat belts and back the FD either way.

I wonder if NM are waiting to see if we get the compo pick to release Hale ? Or pick 32 ? Hawks seem to have other priorities.

Theoretically true billy, but why would they waste a pick in trades when they can get him for "free" via uncontracted rules?

Maybe because negotiations are stalling, the GC may not be offering Bruce exactly what he wants and that may not be too different to what Melbourne are offering. therefore, after 2pm today, if they haven't signed him up, they still have to possibility of the remainder of trade week.

I do believe they have traded a pick already (in the Brennan deal I think - not sure if he was uncontracted or not).

From previous posts you have on this matter, it's obvious that you're a Bruce lover, I'm not knocking that, but I replied to a post stating facts, so that people understand how this CAN unfold, not based on a posters personal opinion. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it CAN happen.