Will Bruce go to the sunshine?

beelzebub

Bruce to Suns (or other)  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love to see him be our player to GC for a second round pick. No disrespect, he's been a good player for this club. However he's not going to be in our premiership side so lets open up a spot for someone who is.

Very fair summary. However, I sincerely believe he has 3/4 years left in him.He finished of the season really well.Why would GC want to have him around- to assist and help develop the kids- shouldn't we?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 year is all we should give him. Wouldn't mind if he didn't take it.

Has been a pretty good servant over the years but the game has really caught him out.

Or his skills have just gone backwards. Brucey doesn't cut it for me and is a liability when

he has the ball most of the time.

You worry me sometimes.

2010 has been one of the best years of his career. He's been wonderful, particularly in the second half of the season where he's been absolutely superb.

A one year contract is what you do with players 29 and up. So that's par for the course. But saying the game has "caught him out?" Who the hell have you been watching? Be as biased as you like hating whatever players you want to hate, but you've got rocks in your head if you think he's not still a quality player. Not a star, sure, but as always, no-one's actually saying he is one...

You worry me sometimes.

2010 has been one of the best years of his career. He's been wonderful, particularly in the second half of the season where he's been absolutely superb.

A one year contract is what you do with players 29 and up. So that's par for the course. But saying the game has "caught him out?" Who the hell have you been watching? Be as biased as you like hating whatever players you want to hate, but you've got rocks in your head if you think he's not still a quality player. Not a star, sure, but as always, no-one's actually saying he is one...

I like Bruce and think he has been a very good player for us but his hospital handball has killed us this year. His turnovers in the first quarter of the drawn game against the pies led to 3 pie goals and hurt our chances of winning. This was not the only game where his disposal killed us. There is no point in looking at players through rose coloured glasses, his disposal has gone downhill badly, I am nervous whenever he has the ball. At 30 I would give him a 1 year deal and if he wanted to go to the Suns for a longer contract and more money he could with my blessing.

Now this is simply to ask the question. It's been reported widely Cameron has been feted by other clubs including GC. He's none too happy with the handling of good mate Junior. Essentially he's up for grabs. Dees only to offer him one year deal. Will he stay ?

Source of the alleged one year deal please! Where did you read it , hear it?

If Bruce goes, I'll be concerned.

Why? Because Junior deserved another year and I reckon they didn't offer him another year in order to keep Bruce. If Bruce goes, we need McDonald for one more year. Simple stuff really.

No he did not. His Hamstrings would not have got through another season. Junior left the arena at the right time.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

No he did not. His Hamstrings would not have got through another season. Junior left the arena at the right time.

Yep. I loved Jnrs work over the years but we can't go down the road of keeping players past their use-by date as we did. All good things come to an end and the club is always bigger than the player. The idea of the MFC is to put the best 22 on the ground for the ultimate aim of a flag, and if the club decides that other avenues will help us realise that dream then so be it. Harsh but at the end of the day it is about the MFC having success.

If Bruce wants to go I will miss him but players come and go all the time, and his needs should never be greater than the needs of the Melbourne Football Club.

we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think Bruce is holding anyone back.

Garland, Grimes and Bartram played every game this year that they were fit to play in, because they are good players and deserve their spot in the team.

Strauss, Blease and Cheney will also have a spot waiting for them if they're good enough. If they work hard, perform at vfl level, Bruce will not be keeping them out of the team. It's not like Bruce, or Bartram, of Joel McDonald are superstars of the afl. If they play well enough, the spot is theirs for the taking. They haven't been played till now bc they haven't developed to the required level to deserve a spot at afl level (or injuries have prevented them).

Plus, the good thing about Bruce is that he is versatile. If Strauss has a break-out season next year and takes his spot at half back, Bruce will simply change his position where the team needs, whether that be on a wing, of half forward, or as a tagger. He's a clever player and has performed in our top10 players each and every year for the past 8 years. that should count for something!

MFC has come into its next stage of development. No longer is the sole priority to pump games into young player. We have evolved from that. Now we still want to pump games into players, but we are now also considering whether they deserve their spot in the team and whether they are performing to an adequate level to deserve their senior spot in the team. We saw that in the latter half of the year with Morton and Bate being dropped.

Totally disagree. 2011's sole priority WILL be to pump games in to the kids. Have a look at Bailey's Whiteboard Wednesday from the other week, he spent a considerable amount of time on the exact matter. Some supporters need to realise that playing 22 games with each other is far from what the Club means by playing games together, they are talking 50+ games, which is obviously getting up to 3 years of footy together.

And another point you raised in regards to Strauss having a breakout year allowing Bruce to go to the wing or another position that we need him...This is the exact reason why a 1 year contract is fully justified. Sure, shift Bruce to the wing, but then he will be stopping Trengove/Scully/Blease/Tapscott/Morton/etc development.

If Bruce was as important to our team as Davey and Green are, I would say give him 2 years, but it's been too long since he's been able to step up, take the game on and put us in a winning position off his own performance. Flash has done it, Green did it numerous times this year, Bruce hasn't. The role he plays onfield is easily filled with Morton or Strauss, or even Gysberts, and even if these young blokes don't step up every time, it's not going to hurt us too much.

Am blown away by the people saying he has 4 years left too. Seriously guys, look at all the 30+ year olds in the AFL, there aren't too many of them that perform week after week at their previous high standard.

You worry me sometimes.

2010 was one of the best years of his career? And you say I worry you sometimes?

Dappa. You must try and take a step away from your romantic attachment to players that play for our great club. I realise that it's difficult to do as a passionate supporter, however there is a line which I feel you never cross for some reason. I have been watching the same player as you Dappa. I don't hate Bruce. You seem to make it out as if I have some personal issues with a few of our players.

I definitely don't think he is a quality player any more Dappa. You can call me what you like. I understand the MFC has needed to keep some older players to balance the team and to inject some experience and knowledge to our young brigade, however he still struggles getting the basics right and for someone who has played football for as long as him, well, it's a concern for myself and many other supporters of our team.

Dappa, I challenge you to watch a couple of games this year and take note of Bruce's disposal, decision making, handballs, unwillingness to take a tackle etc. Not dinky little 15 meter kicks to a team mate who is unmarked. (Although sometimes he still makes those easy kicks look seemingly difficult).

As I have said, Bruce has been a good player for us and at one stage of his career, he almost looked like he was going to blossom into a gun midfielder of the AFL. Injuries are a sad part of our game and since then it has seemed he has just kept losing confidence in his ability to perform the basics of our game. One only need compare him to Green and see how far apart these two are in terms of being a "quality" player as you say.

As a player in our starting 22, Bruce doesn't have a lot to give I'm afraid to say. Off the field, at training, mentoring young guys etc... I'm sure that's where the club have benefitted.

We will see what happens anyway.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

We will still be pumping games into our talented core of youth but that doesn't mean that you can't maximise what the system allows - the Vets List.

We won't have anyone eligible for the VL outside of Macca, Bruce, and Greeny until Jamar in 2013 and Davey in 2014.

I wonder if Bruce realises that he has a free spot that they would be more than willing he keep as long as he can stay fit and effective - even if he were on the fringes of the 22.

If he is given a one year deal, he will most likely be given another for 2012.

All bets are off after that though...

Decisions, decisions...

We will still be pumping games into our talented core of youth but that doesn't mean that you can't maximise what the system allows - the Vets List.

We won't have anyone eligible for the VL outside of Macca, Bruce, and Greeny until Jamar in 2013 and Davey in 2014.

I wonder if Bruce realises that he has a free spot that they would be more than willing he keep as long as he can stay fit and effective - even if he were on the fringes of the 22.

If he is given a one year deal, he will most likely be given another for 2012.

All bets are off after that though...

Decisions, decisions...

If a player is on the vets list it may not impact u on the salary cap, but, we still have to find that money to pay that player.

Thats money that could go into the footy dept, or for Gym equip, etc.

Also, if there's no one on the Vets list, we can have another rookie listed.

Edited by dee-luded

No answers yet! BBub sounding off with unsubstantiated facts?

calm down ... try doing your own research or does it all need to be sppon fed sunshine.

Was reported in a couple of articles in the herald.

will find links when bothered.

take a valium

calm down ... try doing your own research or does it all need to be sppon fed sunshine.

Was reported in a couple of articles in the herald.

will find links when bothered.

take a valium

I can vouch for it. Was in Hun, either online or printed, can't remember

Gist was MFC offered 1 year and pay cut

GC offered 2 years and about 450k extra (presumably over 2 years, i.e. 200k approx more per year).

Doesn't mean it was accurate though.

I can vouch for it. Was in Hun, either online or printed, can't remember

Gist was MFC offered 1 year and pay cut

GC offered 2 years and about 450k extra (presumably over 2 years, i.e. 200k approx more per year).

Doesn't mean it was accurate though.

Correct. Was in Jon Ralph's online daily piece called 'The Buzz'.

People who say Jones is going anywhere have their heads up their.......you know.

Dunno about Bruce but I see no one is concerned. I suspect he will play on with us but he would be next in line after Junior to be pushed into retirement at the end of next year.

Who is Bruce's manager?

He is worth every cent Bruce pays him.

Last time Cameron's contract was about to get renewed there were rumours flying left right and centre.

Brucey got a good deal then and is holding out for a better one now.

He won't be going anywhere.

Who is Bruce's manager?

He is worth every cent Bruce pays him.

Last time Cameron's contract was about to get renewed there were rumours flying left right and centre.

Brucey got a good deal then and is holding out for a better one now.

He won't be going anywhere.

Hope he stays because we already moved Junior on. :/

We need one or both of Bruce and Junior to stay for 2011. Need to keep Bruce now.