Jack Viney - Age article

Jonesy!!!

I haven't totally kept up with the moveable feast that the AFL has given GC and GWS, but GC were able to name 17 year olds last year, 10 from memory, that committed them to GC this year. I presume that GWS will be able to do something similar. The point being that, if Jack Vivey is so highly rated, GWS would surely want to grab him ASAP. Does he then have to commit to being a father/son selection a year ahead of time, because of the GWS concessions?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't totally kept up with the moveable feast that the AFL has given GC and GWS, but GC were able to name 17 year olds last year, 10 from memory, that committed them to GC this year. I presume that GWS will be able to do something similar. The point being that, if Jack Vivey is so highly rated, GWS would surely want to grab him ASAP. Does he then have to commit to being a father/son selection a year ahead of time, because of the GWS concessions?

Yes, I believe he has that option i.e. nominate next year as a FS, but get drafted in 2012

Only a personal observation but as the Vineys are obviously keeping options open it might come

down to how well we go next year. Continue our march and he'll be a Dee. lose momentum and I think they'll cast wider.

Edited by belzebub59

I said it before and I will say it agian.

No need for concern with JV. According to the Connors camp who he has either signed with or is poised to sign with, he will become a Dee. They have met with him and this is the feedback.

Whilst I'll ackowledge the sentiment nothing is anwhere near a definite til papers are signed. We all just have to wait.

The people in the know are saying he's becoming a Demon and let's face it, why the Hell wouldn't you want to play for this club these days. His choice is playing for Melbourne at the MCG with 2 of his school mates or playing for GWS in shitsville. And you reckon he's not going to be a Demon. Put the thinking cap on and settle down...Done Deal.

Sorry but I got thoroughly sick of reading the negative title to this thread so I dumped it in favour of the new one.

That I did but it's always a good thing to emphasize a point.

Worth emphasizing too consider that consideration is generally irrelevant when it comes to drafting of players. Unless the Hawks are wooden spooners in 2011 it shouldn't be an issue at all where Jack's concerned.

Surely the pull of the club where his father was captain and where two of his teammates from his school team in Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott are young up and comers would be well and truly enough to sway him to the Demons?

Good piece in the Sun today about Chris Connolly and Jack Viney at the Freo Cats game last week. It said that Chris put the "hard tag" on young Jack all afternoon.

We apparently brought his family over for the game.

It is clear how important we view this boy and there is no doubt we are putting in the big effort to get him.

Given all of the circumstances I feel confident he will become a Demon in a couple of years.

PS. He was also pictured in a red and blue jumper as well.

Has this been posted on the web anywhere?

Nice pic, but I didn't know he was a Hawthorn supporter. Last paragraph:

His father was an assistant coach at Hawthorn while he was growing up here hence he followed the Hawks.

He does support hawthorn, BUT, I believe the only reason he does is because of the old mans involvement with them at the time. When the hawks were absolutely putrid, Todd went to them. I can clearly remember a radio interview with him and he said "I had offers from Melbourne and hawthorn but chose hawthorn cause I see them as more of a challenge for me personally". Melbourne were playing finals then and hawthorn were cellar dwellers. Our bad luck Todd chose hawthorn, hence why Jack follows them

I haven't totally kept up with the moveable feast that the AFL has given GC and GWS, but GC were able to name 17 year olds last year, 10 from memory, that committed them to GC this year. I presume that GWS will be able to do something similar.

If we get Jack FS, surely we can get him to the club ASAP, start training him and playing VFL nxt year even though we still have to wait another 12 months before we can actually draft him.

Surely we can do that considering David Swallow.

If we get Jack FS, surely we can get him to the club ASAP, start training him and playing VFL nxt year even though we still have to wait another 12 months before we can actually draft him.

Surely we can do that considering David Swallow.

Hopefully the club enquires into if this is possible. Won't he be in year 12 next year? Don't think he would want to move schools in year 12 just to play VFL... He will still play in the SANFL...

Has this been posted on the web anywhere?

It was an article in The Hun on Friday Sep 17 in the "Confidential" section.

Hopefully the club enquires into if this is possible. Won't he be in year 12 next year? Don't think he would want to move schools in year 12 just to play VFL... He will still play in the SANFL...

He is currently 16 years of age so if his birthday is still to come this year, then yes he will be in Yr 12 in 2011. If he's already turned 16, he'll be Yr 11 next year.

It was an article in The Hun on Friday Sep 17 in the "Confidential" section.

He is currently 16 years of age so if his birthday is still to come this year, then yes he will be in Yr 12 in 2011. If he's already turned 16, he'll be Yr 11 next year.

He turned 16 in April this year, so I assume he is in year 10 now, although he could be in the young-for-year category?

That would mean 2012 would be his year 12 and F/S draft year to MFC

I believe he can nominate next year as a F/S (to avoid special 17yo GWS draft) and then still be drafted in 2012

An interesting precedent will be Jimmy Buckley's son Dylan at Carlton.

He has already declared more than a year in advance that he'll go to the Blues father-son so that GWS don't take him as one of their 12 x 17 year olds this year.

What they have young Buckley do with Carlton will be setting a precedent for what happens with young Viney the following year when he declares he will come to us a year in advance, to avoid the must-trade 17 year-old draft pick scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

He turned 16 in April this year, so I assume he is in year 10 now, although he could be in the young-for-year category?

That would mean 2012 would be his year 12 and F/S draft year to MFC

I believe he can nominate next year as a F/S (to avoid special 17yo GWS draft) and then still be drafted in 2012

When Jack was at school in Melbourne he was at the same school and in the same year level as my daughter - he is in year 10 this year. So year 12 in 2012.

Cheers

When Jack was at school in Melbourne he was at the same school and in the same year level as my daughter - he is in year 10 this year. So year 12 in 2012.

Cheers

That would be right because last year he became the first Prince Alfred College student to make the school team while in year 9. That's how he became a teammate of Jack Trengove and Luke Tapscott.

I'm concerned about his height, or lack of it. He's rumoured to be 175cm and 16yo. A lot of kids stop growing at 16 and he may stuggle to match it in AFL unless he adds a bit of size. The average height and weight for AFL top teams is approx 188 cms and 87 kgs, although Joel Sellwood does well at 182cms.

The reports on his game indicate he physically imposes himself at the contest; that he's a high contested possession winner who dominates the midfield in junior footy. That's fine for U16s but I doubt if he can play the same sort of game at senior level if he stays at 175cms. He may dominate the under-age competitions simply because his body is better developed than the rest of his competition.

He can still be competitive if he's quick like David Rodan, but the reports don't highlight any massive leg speed from Jack. To use Jack Dyer's famous quote - 'A good big man will always beat a good little man'.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

stop growing at 16 ???? ummmmm NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a ridiculous worry

I'm concerned about his height, or lack of it. He's rumoured to be 175cm and 16yo. A lot of kids stop growing at 16 and he may stuggle to match it in AFL unless he adds a bit of size.

Alternatively, he might put on a growth spurt and end up 192 191.

Edited by maurie