Jack Viney - Age article

Jonesy!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

stop growing at 16 ???? ummmmm NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a ridiculous worry

Not so. It does happen, and often. Sadly i'm speaking from personal experience.

There are also too many examples of star juniors that dominate under age football but stop growing at 16. There was a C Judd who played 2 games for Hawthorn in the 70s. Great ruck-rover type at U15s but to short for VFL in that position at about 175-178 cms.

You're right that many kids keep growing past 16. Jack is possibly mid range height and above average weight in U16 football. So let's judge Jack Viney in 2 years time, when a 175cm midfielder will be on the short side in U18 footy.

How about we just wait and worry then !!! Unlikely these days to be shorter than your old man . If only ends up Todds size all is fine

Close 183cm 5'11 in the old :) weight .. Well approx 90 on his day .. Can of course vary

Not so. It does happen, and often. Sadly i'm speaking from personal experience.

There are also too many examples of star juniors that dominate under age football but stop growing at 16. There was a C Judd who played 2 games for Hawthorn in the 70s. Great ruck-rover type at U15s but to short for VFL in that position at about 175-178 cms.

You're right that many kids keep growing past 16. Jack is possibly mid range height and above average weight in U16 football. So let's judge Jack Viney in 2 years time, when a 175cm midfielder will be on the short side in U18 footy.

A mate played in the Under 19s at Essendon against Garry Lyon and he tells me that he would have grown at least 10cm from when he came down to play for the MFC U19's to his final height. Used to play against him on a wing in those days.

A mate played in the Under 19s at Essendon against Garry Lyon and he tells me that he would have grown at least 10cm from when he came down to play for the MFC U19's to his final height. Used to play against him on a wing in those days.

Not typical but Royce Hart played Rover when in the U16s

Me . . . I'm still waiting for my growth spurt

And Belzebub, 183cm is exactly 6'0" in the old scale (every 2.5cm approx, less or more is an inch)

I'm concerned about his height, or lack of it. He's rumoured to be 175cm and 16yo. A lot of kids stop growing at 16 and he may stuggle to match it in AFL unless he adds a bit of size. The average height and weight for AFL top teams is approx 188 cms and 87 kgs, although Joel Sellwood does well at 182cms.

Mate... this is how it goes:

Females start their growth spurts earlier and stop growing by age 18.

Males start later and end their growth spurts at age 21.

Obviously everyone's body is different and some males will start their growth spurts earlier and some will finish theirs later etc.

Don't be worrying yourself sick about Jack's lack of height just yet.

If his growth rate has slowed for the past 18 months then he might be one of those unlucky kids that towers over everyone in school years 7-8, then refuses to go to school reunions in case they call him shorty. Has he added any inches in 2010?

Be happy if he can reach his dad's stats - 183cm and 90kg, and can kick!

I'm concerned about his height, or lack of it. He's rumoured to be 175cm and 16yo. A lot of kids stop growing at 16 and he may stuggle to match it in AFL unless he adds a bit of size. The average height and weight for AFL top teams is approx 188 cms and 87 kgs, although Joel Sellwood does well at 182cms.

The reports on his game indicate he physically imposes himself at the contest; that he's a high contested possession winner who dominates the midfield in junior footy. That's fine for U16s but I doubt if he can play the same sort of game at senior level if he stays at 175cms. He may dominate the under-age competitions simply because his body is better developed than the rest of his competition.

He can still be competitive if he's quick like David Rodan, but the reports don't highlight any massive leg speed from Jack. To use Jack Dyer's famous quote - 'A good big man will always beat a good little man'.

This post is one of the reasons I don't post as much as I'd like.

I can't be bothered getting private pms from moderators.

Why?

If you disagree with someone else's views are you unable to answer with a logical and reasoned response?

Surely, that's what a forum like this is all about.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate... this is how it goes:

Females start their growth spurts earlier and stop growing by age 18.

Males start later and end their growth spurts at age 21.

Obviously everyone's body is different and some males will start their growth spurts earlier and some will finish theirs later etc.

Don't be worrying yourself sick about Jack's lack of height just yet.

Interesting news story from Europe - 'Early onset of puberty means choristers voices are breaking early'. Apparently boys are starting their growth spurt earler than ever, partly due to a diet full of proteins (too many chooks?).

I hope Jack still has room to move. At least he wont get drafted by the Vienna Boys choir.

I have to disagree Hannabal, we have to worry about all these things....I mean I worry about the fact that on the way to school he might be stopping to buy a coke what happens in the next two years if he drinks a lot of coke...we know the danger to people's teeth when you drink a lot of coke...

so as well as not growing after the age of 16, i want to add the coke worry as well to the list of worries I have about young Jack.

But why stop there, i also worry that he might stay up watching too much TV, which could affect his eyesight, then how would he know where the ball lands after its bounced, let alone be able to spot our forwards if he is streaming out of defense.

I mean there are so many things we need to worry about.

I think the best thing for us would be to not draft him, so that we can stop worry and stressing for the next two years

As the old adage goes - It is no so much about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Nothing to worry about here, move on.

I don't know what everyone is worried about... his Dad wasn't playin Ruck along along side Jimmy or a tall key position player!!

I think it's great he'll be undersized for the ave Afl footballer, means we'll have no competation come trade week next Year!!

The crows certainly won't look at him seeing Dad has left and come home to Melbourne!!

Not typical but Royce Hart played Rover when in the U16s

Me . . . I'm still waiting for my growth spurt

And Belzebub, 183cm is exactly 6'0" in the old scale (every 2.5cm approx, less or more is an inch)

Well you have been waiting a bloddy long time- my old trooper friend- like me..

We will get him the same way carlscum got Buckley , well make the call early and cough up our first round pick come the relevent draft. All any other club can do really is drive up his price. He'd likely go first 5 anyway so well be paying a discount effectively but assured we have him.

As to height he'll end up 5'11" - 6' . More I

portantly he'll make Arny look like a kid ! Improve ( if poss) his core and he'll be untackleable ( new word ? Lol )

stop all ya worrying and fussing. He'll be a Dee .. And a gun, just like his old man. Can't wait :)

Well you have been waiting a bloddy long time- my old trooper friend- like me..

Never give up pal. I think I stopped growing just after MFCs last premiership. Maybe I'll get that late spurt when we win the next flag :unsure:

And more trivia - Doc (mr. Magic) Baldock held down CHF in a premiership side at 177cm (5'10") - think about it, that's Marric playing CHF!