Petterd, Garland and Rivers - signed!

She Devil 64

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, looks like the GC17 will have to look elsewhere for talent.

I believe the following are out of contract:

Bail

Bartram

Cheney

Bate

Watts

Blease

Miller

Maric

Dunn

Bruce

Bell

PJ

Martin

Newton*

Meesen*

Hughes*

Healey*

Spencer*

Spencer will be offered a contract on the seniors, leaving us with a clean slate for the rookie list. The dees will look to re-up Blease, Maric, Dunn, Watts, Batram, Bail and Bruce. I think Cheney might be asked to to a "Jordie" and play on the rookie list next season. This may also be the path for Maric who has much to prove.

I have it on good authority that they are all going to the GC

Phew, great news Ricky has signed, I must admit I was worried he would go. Reading the articles he certainly considered it. But thanks to the people who play for and manage our club he, Rivers and Garland are in the Red and Blue. Still a few important signings to come.

Ricky Petterd signs new deal.

Not only that but Colin Garland and Jared Rivers have also signed on for new two year deals.

Great news on the signings particularly with Petterd and Garland.

I'm surprised Rivers got two more, I don't think he is in the best 22 now, so by 2012 we could be in the same position we are in with Newton and Messon.

He is playing each week but I agree that its debatable whether he is LT best 22. However that should not dictate whether he gets more than onw year. His position is completely different to Newton and Meesen.

Newton*

Meesen*

Hughes*

Healey*

Spencer*

I'd be OK with all buy Hughes and Healey leaving.

I take it you're not Tim Harrington.

Great news all around.

"A two-year deal for Rivers is an enormous show of faith. After a horror run with groin injuries, Rivers has enjoyed a consistent season." to say the least

2 out of 3 as they say. To be blunt I think this is some sort of insurance stop-gap until another defender gets up to speed. whilst Jareds season has indeed been far more consistent it really isnt at a level where we want it or the level he used to play at. granted teh games picked up a pace and thats soethinghe hasnt got.

Still good luck to Riv..and well done to other lads. Buckle yourselves in for the ride :)

To all you doubters- here it is -OFFICIAL. I told you that he told Deeluded and I that he would be there next year. Hr stuck to his word .

Edited by jayceebee31

Pay your regards to Twitter updates!!! It seems that the tweet (is that what they're called) the weekend after Ricks injury was THE ONLY reliable source.

Remember this is also about Garland and Riv!! Great work by the club to have signed up the four key defenders of the last month, Chip, Col, Riv and Ricky.....

To all the Rivers haters...you state he isn't in the best 22? He has missed how many games so far? I would suggest that in the coaches eyes he is well and truly entrenched in the best 22 currently. I agree with some sentiments that he is struggling in some area's currently but he is a valuable asset for our club. Not sure that he would command a high draft pick but the majority of clubs would come for him if let go.

He deserves a 2 year contract with this club.

Well done MFC and well done Riv, Col, Ricky and Chip!!

Great news to wake up to indeed! I also take heart in the players positive views on where the club is headed, which makes some of the negative viewpoints posted recently on the Dees current form seem overstated, at least we know the players aren't so pessimistic!

Pay your regards to Twitter updates!!! It seems that the tweet (is that what they're called) the weekend after Ricks injury was THE ONLY reliable source.

Remember this is also about Garland and Riv!! Great work by the club to have signed up the four key defenders of the last month, Chip, Col, Riv and Ricky.....

To all the Rivers haters...you state he isn't in the best 22? He has missed how many games so far? I would suggest that in the coaches eyes he is well and truly entrenched in the best 22 currently. I agree with some sentiments that he is struggling in some area's currently but he is a valuable asset for our club. Not sure that he would command a high draft pick but the majority of clubs would come for him if let go.

I agree "Demon Jack" Never quite sure why some people hate Rivers so much. Like most players he has good days and not so good days. But I rarely see him put in a shocker!

Our Back line is always under pressure, until we start to exert some forward line / scoring pressure our backmen's error are always going to look bad. Even Geelong's backline has goals kicked against it. When you are winning small errors do not get magnified the way they do when you are loosing.

Rivers is a good reliable backman, and will be part of our team for some time.

Yep, I struggle with some of the Riv bashing going around here - each to their own (enter the bashers), but for mine, and seemingly the coach, Riv is in.

To all the Rivers haters...

Why are you and many others so emotive in your language ? Rivers "haters" and Rivers "bashers". Rivers is a disappointment to me and many others. He certainly never elevated his game from his RS year. We all know that there are some reasons for this, such as injury, but another is that he's slow, too small for big forwards and burnt on the lead by the quicker forwards. Another is that he's just not that good. So, it's fair to say that I'm not a Rivers fan. But by your definition, I'm a "hater". You're not that bright are you ?

Also, it's great to see some of the glee in this thread. Imagine if we're ever in the position to re-sign a bona fide 'star/s'.

Mate I think its fair to say no one hates anyone who dons the jumper. But we are allowed to be critical and express disppoinment where it exists. Even Jared ( reading the recent article ) would be far from happy with where he's at and that in itself is good. He'll want to improve. But can he ? Has he still that potential to draw upon or have we now seen all the cards at his disposal ? if so he is defnitely not in our best 22 if all the list if fit and selectable. He has got some games this year by default.

Our opportunity to garner true market value ( or something wed be hapy with ) at trade has passed for Jared. I suggested as did others years ago we should have bit the bullet then. We didnt. He will find it increasingly harder to get a starting gig as others come on or existing build fitness etc. He's insuarance at best...sounds harsh I grant you....life sux sometimes huh!!

To all you doubters- here it is -OFFICIAL. I told you that he told Deelded and I that he would be there next year. Hr stuck to his word .

Ah, he's a good Lad, is our Ricky. You can see it in has approach to people. NO Pretentiousness! sees people as, well, people, all the same...

He seems really well grounded, & I'm very happy to have him with us at Melbourne.

I think they can see that rivers is capable now, of recapturing close to his best form, as he gets past those abdominal problems.

However I think we'll see a changing of the guard in defense in 2 years time with I believe new talls to come into compliment Frawls.

Brilliant news. As well as stiffing Gold Coast (who I suspect I'll soon hate as much as Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon and Collingwood), we've kept 3 important players.

The debate about Rivers being in the 'best 22' or not misses an important point: the 23rd best player on any given team will probably play every week, given that injuries and suspensions make the team a constantly evolving beast. Depth is extremely important.

We all know Col will be a mainstay of defence for years to come.

And Ricky, one of my favourite players for the way he goes about it ... Frankly, I'd given him up as lost. I'm absolutely rapt to be wrong! I reckon he's gonna be very very important for us over the next few years (and hopefully more than a few!). Consider how the forward line has disintegrated since he got injured.

All around, a great day to wake up a Dees supporter. Great job, list management team!

Can somebody post the list of remaining uncontracted players. I couldn't find it using the search function.

With Frawley, Garland and Pettard signed, most of the important young guns are locked away.

I'd like to see how many other really important youngsters have yet to sign. Watts and Bate are the only 2 I can think of off the top of the head

M. Warnock

C. Bruce

N. Jones

J. Watts

M. Bate

B. Miller

P. Johnson

D. Bell

B. Moloney

J. McDonald

R. Bail

S. Blease

J. Strauss

T. McNamara

+

Rookies

ill be first to admit i was one of many on demonland that thought rick was gone, i really had no basis for it i just court up on things ppl post here but i am that rapt that is staying, ill be wearing my melbourne no 15 jumper to games proud now without someone from another team getting up me about him leaving!!! big risk getting 15 on the jumper and its paid off!!!!!!!!!!! thank u ricky bobby!

Who are these hating scoundrels?? B)

Do I detect some heresy? :lol:

How did I know that you would pick the bones out of that Rhino? Nothing gets past you does it! ;)

Riv is struggling when one on one but there are some reasons for this as it is not his strength. His strength and at his best his ability to read the play is high class but this role is difficult when you play in a side who's defence see's far too much of the ball and quick ball too when you factor in our current ability to turn the ball over.

Smart people realise we are attempting a game style similar to Geelong, when all that comes together our defence will be in a position to play off their opponent more regularly exactly as a Mackie, Milburn & Enright do now. When Geelong were not quite so good all three of these guys were not so great at direct one on one's and were scored against quickly (even Sydney managed this against them in some high profile finals)

Because of Geelongs ability to keep the ball it allows their defence to zone off and man up space rather than an opponent. Riv will excel in a similar role. The 2 years he has been given is a great show of faith in him, in our game plan and direction.

I've no doubt the coaching staff have exactly this in mind.