The GC and GWS coming to steal our flags

darkhorse72

Hey all

An interesting article on the impact of GC and GWS recruiting allowances for the next decade. We get a special mention as thee may overtake us with the volume of young talent they have amassed in a small block. Could be scary

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft-rules-will-hand-new-clubs-10-flags-on-a-plate/story-e6frf9jf-1225877193133

Guest The Boss

It's nothing to worry about yet.

There is never any gurantee that a first round draft selection will become a star player, just take a look at Luke Molan. I'm sure that GC/GWS will recruit a few guns, but some of their recruits won't cut the mustard at AFL level.

Then there is the introduction of free agency over the next few years, that could see their recruits leave for more money, go home etc.

Time will tell.

I'm not sure how strong they will be.

Looking at any draft there are hits and misses - it's likely they'll have quite a few of both.

Look at just a few players on our list or in our draft history:

Meesen - pick 8

Dunn - pick 15

Nick Smith - pick 15

Bell - pick 14

Molan - pick 9

Maric - pick 21

Also not sure what impact it will have on them having a team of kids that are all pretty much EXACTLY the same age.

As far as trading players for sub-10 picks in the future... I don't see it happening.

The types of players they are willing to trade will likely not be good enough to get a sub-10 pick or else the player in question would not be traded.

It's as if Matty Rendell has just been interviewed after a new installment of Scream part 4. "It's as scary as hell!"

I think the GC will be competitive in 2014-15, but a flag by then.... ? Then to say GC and GWS will win the next 10 ! - What a drama queen.

I think Cam Schwab would have a different outlook than Matt Rendell.

:lol: @ "wind burn"

Guest hangon007

Hey all

An interesting article on the impact of GC and GWS recruiting allowances for the next decade. We get a special mention as thee may overtake us with the volume of young talent they have amassed in a small block. Could be scary

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft-rules-will-hand-new-clubs-10-flags-on-a-plate/story-e6frf9jf-1225877193133

I would have thought you could look at this article two ways. Now assuming the assertions are correct ie quality high draft picks leads to premierships!

There is nothing that the GC or GWS are going to get that we have not already got. Apart from one small point.

What we took 3-5 drafts to amass they will amass in 1 draft.

Time will tell.

Go Dees!!!

There's also potentially more risk picking 17yo's that may not make it or develop as per expectations.

They will have some talent but it is still going to be hard going for them.

And getting all their picks in pretty much one year is going to dilute their standard somewhat you would think.

Edited by jnrmac

Guest hangon007

And getting all their picks in pretty much one year is going to dilute their standard somewhat you would think.

Nice point - It might even tempt them into picking for needs before selecting "best available" ... which might lead to opportunities for others.

There's no question that Gold Coast and West Sydney have a superb run at the drafts - basically six or seven year's worth of drafting in one hit.

Other clubs have had the consolation of experimenting with year after year of late picks and rookie list selections to top up their list, so at least there is that.

But a whole team full of first round picks, plus a few established stars poached through the salary cap concession, plus a few depth players selected in their PSD priority picks, plus bonus players switching from Rugby League...

Basically, it is going to be up to the Melbourne Football Club to hold firm and represent history and the sport against the new commercial entities.

It's club vs franchise and we're the good guys.

Wow, you guys are optimistic.

They're going to have 17 top 20 draft picks over the space of two years. Plus the high picks after that. Plus Ablett and a few other good-quality AFL players. There's no way anyone comes close to that Gold Coast from 2013-2022 imo. They are going to be a superstar team. They have the best of the best up there atm in terms of the football department.

The more I think about it, the more I think the success of our young players must improve dramatically. We can't have as many young players drop out like they used to. And to be honest, I'm not sure the MFC can do that.

We'll be a very good team in 3-4 years. But I believe by that time our success will be aggressively compromised by the GWS and GC.

The Gold Coast and GWS will not win 10 flags in a row for one simple reason:

We'll be winning most of them.

Hooah !!!

Bit of a giggle that article... talk about panic merchant !! Yes the GC and GWS franchises are to get a serious leg up but as Enforcer ,HT and (apologies ) others have alluded its not quite as simple as assembling potential talent and unleashing hell. if it were that simple wed be making room on the shelf for more silverware as I write. . They will have to learn to play as teams...to compete at the highest level and to maintain their efforts. So much more than just draft 18 players -add water !!

As an aside there is much talent out there that til now hasnt had much of a look-in. There are others like Pods ( well of his calibre ) who languish in the VFL SANFL WAFL etc that will now come into the picture. There wont be a drought of players to pick simply because GC and GWS get their picks.

Talent is one thing...developing it is another.. combining as a team and playing elite football is yet another.

Some tell Rendell the sky isnt falling...not today

Don't worry, Matt Rendell's just had a massive brain fart if he thinks Gold Coast/Western Sydney will together win ten flags from 2014/2015. Seriously? Melbourne will be the strongest Victorian team - no doubt. Carlton I think will be top four material. Hawthorn's got a very young team. And West Coast and Fremantle have young lists which is starting to reward the latter team.

Besides, 2024 - that's 14 years away. The draftees are 17-18 this year. 18 plus 14 is 32. A premiership team isn't made up of 32 year olds.

Wow, you guys are optimistic.

They're going to have 17 top 20 draft picks over the space of two years. Plus the high picks after that. Plus Ablett and a few other good-quality AFL players. There's no way anyone comes close to that Gold Coast from 2013-2022 imo. They are going to be a superstar team. They have the best of the best up there atm in terms of the football department.

The more I think about it, the more I think the success of our young players must improve dramatically. We can't have as many young players drop out like they used to. And to be honest, I'm not sure the MFC can do that.

We'll be a very good team in 3-4 years. But I believe by that time our success will be aggressively compromised by the GWS and GC.

I tend to agree & hope i am so wrong. But the number of Draft Picks that both those teams get is just staggering.

It's also not just what these 2 teams get, it's also what is then left is distributed amongst 16 very hungry clubs. One mistake or injury could be potential Disaster...

But this is why i wondered why all 16 Presidents signed off on the deal so quick 2 years ago. Or did they have a choice??

Nice point - It might even tempt them into picking for needs before selecting "best available" ... which might lead to opportunities for others.

I think thats an interesting take on it, very possible.

What I think Rendell is doing is giving all a warning, and he's right to do that, but I think its coming from him because he's working at Adelaide who I think have been caught short which probably has made him realise the situation because its going to hurt them more than a lot of others. (See there ladder position this year & putting to pasture allready)...

What I can foresee is many sides lists on the decline, and that causing a freeforall of trying to pillage one anothers lists including big raids on the GC-17 itself.

Clubs will no doubt look for more salary cap room to go shopping with, & I think thats what this (news article) is the forerunner for. Hold onto your hats, it looks like stormy weather.

Beware the Collingwoods & Carltons & Essendons of this football world. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hopefully they get a 2003-style draft...

Cooney, Walker, Sylvia, Mclean, Tenace, Trotter, Waters, Stanton, Chaplin, Billy Morrison, Luke Peel and Izaac Thompson.

Hopefully they get a 2003-style draft...

Cooney, Walker, Sylvia, Mclean, Tenace, Trotter, Waters, Stanton, Chaplin, Billy Morrison, Luke Peel and Izaac Thompson.

Now that is a premiership... uh... midfield, I guess? and more!

So many anonymous players in that draft.

Fingers crossed.

Just out of interest, this would be the team that would be starting to win premierships this year, using the 2005 Rookie Draft and 2006 National Draft as this is the equivalent draft. This was considered a "superdraft" at the time. For the zone selections, I simply selected the next best player from each zone that was not already selected. I did not include potential 17 years olds drafted from 2005 because many would have opted not to join GC and more importantly, I could not be bothered checking their ages B)

2005 Rookie Draft

1: Ryan Jackson

2: Alan Toovey

3: Luke McEntee

4: Lachlan McKinnon

5: Angus Graham

2006 National Draft

1: Bryce Gibbs

2: Scott Gumbleton

3: Lachlan Hansen

5: Travis Boak

7: Joel Selwood

9: David Armitage

11: Andrejs Everitt

13: Jack Reiwoldt

15: Daniel O'Keefe

26: Shane Edwards

43: Tim Houlihan

60: Carl Peterson

2006 Rookie Draft

1: Sam Jacobs

2006 National Draft - 5 QLD, 3 NT zone selections

[QLD]: Shaun Hampson

[QLD]: Gavin Urquhart

[QLD]: Albert Proud

[QLD]: Brent Renouf

[QLD]: Ricky Petterd

[NT]: Nathan Djerrkura

[NT]: Joe Anderson

[NT]: ??? (Couldn't find another in that draft)

Given there isn't a great deal of talent in the GC team this year, this would make the crux of the team, prior to players drafted from current teams. I don't see that as a team that will win 5/10 premierships...

Edited by Stylus

Just out of interest, this would be the team that would be starting to win premierships this year, using the 2005 Rookie Draft and 2006 National Draft as this is the equivalent draft. This was considered a "superdraft" at the time. For the zone selections, I simply selected the next best player from each zone that was not already selected. I did not include potential 17 years olds drafted form 2005 because many would have opted not to join them and more importantly, I could not be bothered checking their ages B)

Given there isn't a great deal of talent in the GC team this year, this would make the crux of the team, prior to players drafted from current teams. I don't see that as a team that will win 5/10 premierships...

Interesting post Stylus, don't forget to factor in the wheeling & Dealing of Draft Picks that will also go on. GWS are actually getting an extra 4 Draft Picks that they must Trade as the condition-get some older players to go up.

Recriutment officers jobs are now heavy stress careers i am guessing. Every Draft Pick will be scrutinized so thoroughly.

Interesting post Stylus, don't forget to factor in the wheeling & Dealing of Draft Picks that will also go on. GWS are actually getting an extra 4 Draft Picks that they must Trade as the condition-get some older players to go up.

Recriutment officers jobs are now heavy stress careers i am guessing. Every Draft Pick will be scrutinized so thoroughly.

Yeah, unfortunately some aspects of their GC concessions have no comparative measure in the 05/06 draft, such as the trades you mentioned.

Hooah !!!

Bit of a giggle that article... talk about panic merchant !! Yes the GC and GWS franchises are to get a serious leg up but as Enforcer ,HT and (apologies ) others have alluded its not quite as simple as assembling potential talent and unleashing hell. if it were that simple wed be making room on the shelf for more silverware as I write. . They will have to learn to play as teams...to compete at the highest level and to maintain their efforts. So much more than just draft 18 players -add water !!

As an aside there is much talent out there that til now hasnt had much of a look-in. There are others like Pods ( well of his calibre ) who languish in the VFL SANFL WAFL etc that will now come into the picture. There wont be a drought of players to pick simply because GC and GWS get their picks.

Talent is one thing...developing it is another.. combining as a team and playing elite football is yet another.

Some tell Rendell the sky isnt falling...not today

Your totally right to suggest "It aint that simple", but they will be getting stronger as the other power sides get weaker.

Do you think they (Pies/Blues/Dons/Hawks/Eagles/Crows) will lye down. They'll go shopping, with their fat wallets, at the expense of the poorer clubs.

Beware North, Tiges, Doggies, Demons, Saints et al. A sort of free agency I fear could break out.

Long contracts are needed IMO.