Watts wrong with Whats?

DeeZee

Whose? I was correting a misake often made with Reiwoldt, I'm pretty sure it is not his first year.

If you are meaning Watts, it is is second year.

Watts was drafted at the age of 17, unlike Riewoldt. That's what jnrmac meant. Effectively, he is playing his first season, as his first season, he was concentrating on his schooling.

Edited by AdamFarr

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Thomo

Watts was drafted at the age of 17, unlike Riewoldt. That's what jnrmac meant. Effectively, he is playing his first season, as his first season, he was concentrating on his schooling.

It is his second season. He was drafted in 2008. Don't really care what argument he is trying to make, just correcting errors in the Reiwoldt comment.

Some #1 picks take longer to develop. I don't agree with the comments made that if a player doesn't show dominant traits in his 2nd year he never will. Brendon Goddard is a good example - he took until his 4th year to really show his capabilities and justify his recruiter's decision, before that he got prematurely canned. I think Goddard is at least a very good player, close to elite, and will be happy if Watts turns out as good - they're different players but I'm talking about a slower burn to quality.

Some #1 picks take longer to develop. I don't agree with the comments made that if a player doesn't show dominant traits in his 2nd year he never will. Brendon Goddard is a good example - he took until his 4th year to really show his capabilities and justify his recruiter's decision, before that he got prematurely canned. I think Goddard is at least a very good player, close to elite, and will be happy if Watts turns out as good - they're different players but I'm talking about a slower burn to quality.

Adam Cooney as well.

Guide to Watts

1. Comments should be constructive; he will be a gun.

2. He turns his back on the play too often once the immediate contest/clearance has occurred;

3. He lacks confidence to impose himself and demand leads.

4. He should take set shots. On Saturday he went sideways on the forward line resulting in a turnover. At the 50 metre mark for Casey he can slot them through.

Watts was ordinary.. and thats 2 weeks in a row. Cant deny that, cannot hide from the fact that at the moment, he is still a long way off.

That does not mean he is no good nor does it mean he will be a champion. its just the truth!

and some people "Cant handle the truth!!"

Edited by Demon3

It seems there are three categories of Watts-supporters:

The first is the group who thinks he is a dud, and will never make it. They fail to spot the moments where Jack has displayed immense ability at ground level, smart kicking and good hands, evident in the West Coast and Port Adelaide games.

Then there are the people who cannot stand criticism of Watts at all. They fail to recognise his apparent lack of hunger, aggression, intensity or passion on the field (that's not to say he doesn't want it, but he sure as hell doesn't look like he wants it).

Finally, there are those who combine both, who can see his obvious talent and ability, can see that he is hampered by his lack of fitness, the fact he is only 18, the fact that the team isn't playing well, and the fact that he's played only 7 games. But at the same time, there is a pressing need for him to show more hunger, more desire and more passion on the field, given that there are players at Casey who are doing just that.

Hopefully those who fall into one of the first two categories will, sooner or later, move into the third category.

Best post ever on the Watts saga.

He has shown none of that speed on the field but how much of that is due to his lack stamina. His engine is not league standard which gets heavily exposed against the good teams. Walker was always going to run Watts to the ground and make Watts look worse as the day wore on. No doubt conditions didn't help but Watts needs to get miles into those legs so we can see some speed, ability to get to more contest and not flop everytime he gets a nudge.

I wonder that too. It's clear his fitness is not even remotely par, so how does one tell the difference between "no appetite for the contest" and "completely shagged off his feet"?

I wonder that too. It's clear his fitness is not even remotely par, so how does one tell the difference between "no appetite for the contest" and "completely shagged off his feet"?

The part of the game that it occurs in and the consistency with which it happen would be a good guide.

He is a young footballer and there is doubt a raft of reasons why he is stuggling to get into games.

And then does his sub-par fitness reflect on his appetite to train harder and get better? It is only a question. Does it affect his confidence and self belief? Then does he go into a contest believing he can win it? Does he believe himself a worthy enough player to demand the footy?

So much of this game gets played out in the head before the ground is taken. If that isn't right then it makes it very tough to compete at the top level.

I know that Dean knows this and the bigger picture is being worked on.

Very good point, Nasher. Aerobic capacity seems to be a big issue. This will come with time. He certainly has to have a big pre season though.

I think its a mix of learning where to run on the lead and the trying to make the bezt of some appalling delivery inside 50

True.

Looking at the greater picture, our intensity at stoppages has dropped off from a few weeks ago, we're not laying as many tackles - tackling doesn't seem to be as contagious as it was - we're not winning as much of the ball and our inside 50's have dropped off as a result. More opportunities for our forwards will give us a clearer picture.

That would be an incorrect "fact".

Bahahaha, thanks Hannabal, maybe I should proof-read things. Now corrected.

I think it's clear that he is struggling physically. But to me when I look at his body language and his overall intensity out there, it's just non-existent.

Plenty of other players get tired yet manage to at least look like they're trying. Wonaeamirri didn't once look to me like he had no desire to be out there. To me he was just way, way off the pace and thus couldn't play the way he wanted to. Watts is in the same boat, except with Watts I don't get the same sense that he's really up for it.

I think it's clear that he is struggling physically. But to me when I look at his body language and his overall intensity out there, it's just non-existent.

Plenty of other players get tired yet manage to at least look like they're trying. Wonaeamirri didn't once look to me like he had no desire to be out there. To me he was just way, way off the pace and thus couldn't play the way he wanted to. Watts is in the same boat, except with Watts I don't get the same sense that he's really up for it.

I think you're misreading Watts. I know where you are coming from regarding perceived body language. Watts has pace, he just needs to know when to use it. Early on, he took ground off Andrew Walker, who is no slouch.

I think you're misreading Watts. I know where you are coming from regarding perceived body language. Watts has pace, he just needs to know when to use it. Early on, he took ground off Andrew Walker, who is no slouch.

I'm not sure why you're telling me about Watts' pace. I didn't question how fast he could run, and yes, I agree that he is quite pacy, especially for someone of his height. What I question is how up for the contest he is.

He was always going to be beaten by Walker, so I'm not worried in the slightest about Walker's dominance.

I'm not sure why you're telling me about Watts' pace. I didn't question how fast he could run, and yes, I agree that he is quite pacy, especially for someone of his height. What I question is how up for the contest he is.

He was always going to be beaten by Walker, so I'm not worried in the slightest about Walker's dominance.

Oh.

You said Wonaeamirri was way, way , way off pace. You also put Watts in the "same boat".

That's why I questionned your thinking. I think you've cleared it up now....in terms of "up for the contest"

Cheers.

edit: Agree that he looks to be struggling physically the longer the game goes.

Without trying to be a Watts apologist, and whilst not particularly impresed with efforts to date I do however suspect that this is just a year for Jack..he'll put another dozen-15games under his belt and get into a injury free preseason coming out all the better for it. ( hopefully )

I'm not worried about Jack at all. I've seen him play good games where he showed his ability to attack contests. I've seen him use his speed and agility against AFL listed players. He has all of the attributes to go a long way. The only question is why he hasn't done it at the top level. Either he's intimidated by the tougher and better opponents, or simply not good enough and strong enough to go with them (probably both really). I am quite willing to give him a couple more years to start playing well. Think of some of the past greats like Carey or Schwartz (ok, nearly great). They really started showing what they could do when they were 21 or 22. We've all seen the footage of David Schwartz playing at that age. As far as I'm concerned, this is the target we should be setting for Jack.

This is the beginning for Jack. He has the ability to become a very good footballer, possibly even a "star". To do this he's going to have to work harder than he ever has before. He's going to have to take a leaf out of the Tom Scully training manual. He'd be well advised to spend his down time watching videos of Carey, Riewoldt and Hird, both playing and training. Talent means very, very little now for Jack, it's what he's prepared to do with that talent that matters.

Guest The Boss

From what I have seen so far, Watts will be a servicable AFL player at best. After seeing him try to lay on a half-hearted shepherd against the Blues, it is obvious that he does not like the physical contests, which for a key forward is just not good enough.

He has all the physical attributes and talent to be a good player, but doesn't seem to have much confidence.

From what I have seen so far, Watts will be a servicable AFL player at best. After seeing him try to lay on a half-hearted shepherd against the Blues, it is obvious that he does not like the physical contests, which for a key forward is just not good enough.

He has all the physical attributes and talent to be a good player, but doesn't seem to have much confidence.

Geez.

And if a player doesn't have bag fulls of confidence after 7 games he never will and will only ever be a serviceable player at best. Got it.

Guest The Boss

And Gysberts is lapping it up after two games.

As a Melbourne Fan I hope I am proven wrong, but I don't see Watts becoming a dominant forward.