Jack Grimes

deeflog

Its time to release Jack Grimes to the midfield. He is not a natural backman. He is not accountable enough, strong enough in one on ones, is always too slow to move the ball from defence, whether it be from kick ins or in general play, and like Davey is far more damaging forward of the centre.

Last year when he was released he dominated games and racked up high possessions to the point where he had to be "rested" so we didn't ruin our draft prospects.

I think he would be the cream on the midfield

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its time to release Jack Grimes to the midfield. He is not a natural backman. He is not accountable enough, strong enough in one on ones, is always too slow to move the ball from defence, whether it be from kick ins or in general play, and like Davey is far more damaging forward of the centre.

Last year when he was released he dominated games and racked up high possessions to the point where he had to be "rested" so we didn't ruin our draft prospects.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN- I said this weeks ago-I also think he is not disciplined enough.Put him in the guts.

Rubbish he isn't accountable enough. Rubbish he isn't strong enough in one on ones, he barely loses them. Complete rubbish that he is slow to move the ball from defence.

Rubbish that he played much in the middle last year at all.

Jack Grimes to play HBF for the next 10 years and to be as widely regarded as Corey Enright is at Geelong.

What a narrow minded idea.

Fine release Frank Grimes to the Midfield. And who do you propose to take his place in the back line????

Grimey played a good solid game today. Rivers is the one who bothers me. Does he ever play in front??

I am obviously watching a different Jack Grimes. In saying that with Morton back in the side there is room to give him some experience in the pivot at some point in the season.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

Today was the day to play him in the guts. I thought with Scully and Trenners out they would've chucked him in with Gysberts.

Six weeks ago I would've said leave him in at halfback but I think it's might be time to give him a run in the midfield. Maybe wait until after the Collingwood game then do it.

Must win this week.

I'm a little surprised Grimes hasn't been rotated through the midfield a little bit considering the dominance he showed against the bombers in the pre-season practice match. Perhaps this might because of the good form shown by McKenzie, Scully and Trengove has warranted their continued exposure to in this role? This is still after all a development year.

Whilst I don't agree with the OP, I'll ask this question: who has been missing from the lineup since that game aginst the bombers where Grimes was so effective in the midfield..?

(hint: he went down in the 4th with a PCL...)

lol. OMG. Not accountable, undisciplined. My God.

Jack Grimes? The Melbourne guy? Number 16? Far out, you blokes watch a different game to me!

Grimes can play midfield.

Jones can play midfield.

Grimes can play HBF.

Jones cannot play HBF.

Moloney can play midfield.

Grimes can play HBF.

Moloney cannot play HBF.

Scully can play midfield.

Get my drift?

Grimes may end up in the midfield but as a HBF he is valuable for his vision, his skills, his run, and his ability to beat his opponent and help out his teammates.

He doesn't seem to be getting the plaudits he deserves; he's played 22 games.

Grimes may end up in the midfield but as a HBF he is valuable for his vision, his skills, his run, and his ability to beat his opponent and help out his teammates.

It's a hard one. This year we aren't going to win the premiership so i would like to see Grimes put into the guts. No doubt with Grimes gunning it at HB, it's hard to shift him but i'm thinking bigger picture.

He might not be as influential in the midfield as he gains experience but DB is big on the kids playing together and building combinations. IMO Grimes is a big part of 1st team midfield of the future.

It's a hard one. This year we aren't going to win the premiership so i would like to see Grimes put into the guts. No doubt with Grimes gunning it at HB, it's hard to shift him but i'm thinking bigger picture.

He might not be as influential in the midfield as he gains experience but DB is big on the kids playing together and building combinations. IMO Grimes is a big part of 1st team midfield of the future.

Equally, I can see him as being a dominate, premiership winning half back who holds the oppostion's danger forward and sets up attack after attack.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN- I said this weeks ago-I also think he is not disciplined enough.Put him in the guts.

You need discipline for the midfield...Grimes is a gun. He makes some errors here and there, but he's playing in defence and hasn't yet played 25 games. I'm not against releasing him into the midfield, but I think there is still more to be learnt down back.

Edited by AdamFarr

If this year is still a "development year" then start playing the players that need developing and in the positions they need to develop into.

Grimes will be a midfielder maybe next year or the year after, play him there. Strauss will move into Grimes' position when he moves to the midfield, play him there and let him develop.

If it forces out a Bruce, MacDonald or even Rivers so be it, they will not be part of the premiership team in 3 years time

I watched Grimes turn water into wine once- true story. He can also walk on water.

#16 is poised to be a future captain of this club. He is a terrific young player, and can show signs on waning in some contests. Keep him down back for the remainder of the season, and use the guts to develop the "Fab Four"- Gys, Scul, Tren, McK.

Jones can play midfield.

Grimes can play HBF.

Jones cannot play HBF.

Moloney can play midfield.

Grimes can play HBF.

Moloney cannot play HBF.

Scully can play midfield.

Get my drift?

My head just exploded. Maybe it's trying to read this post with a hangover, maybe it's trying to understand why Grimes is being picked on as being undisciplined.

Either way, time to go back to bed after this little gem of a thread.

Could not disagree more. Where is the run from our backline going to come from? Our defence is already average paced. I don't think we can have Garland, Rivers, Warnock, Bruce and Frawley in defence at the same time. I see Garland and Rivers as similar players. Personally, I would like to see Rivs in the forward line while we are missing a few. That will allow Cheney to come in or Strauss.Give them game time.

Grimes on the ballw ill mean we cannot play Trengove, Scully and Gysberts and I think that is the future midfield with Moloney, Jones and Davey rotating with them. Grimes will be our captain from defence and I can't wait.

Just maybe you should stick to jewellery making and clothing rather than pick footballers and their best position.

And maybe you should add something worthwhile....

I shouldn't have to speak for Jaded, because Jaded can look after herself.

Jaded's opinion's on football matters hold sway on this Forum. (well, most of the time... :P )

Warning: Your post is in poor taste, be careful.

Just maybe you should stick to jewellery making and clothing rather than pick footballers and their best position.

If we both stick to what we do best, I'll only ever work in fashion and you'll only ever make an arse of yourself... and what would be the fun in that?

Oh and when I start caring about you enough to have personal arguments with you, I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath.

Edited by Jaded

Big man. Feel good being sexist? Reinforce your manhood? Good on you.

I think there's a point where MFC supporters expect a little too much. I'm fine with pointing out the players that aren't up to it, because those tough decisions need to be made in order to form a premiership winning side, but even the most one-eyed neutral supporter can see he's going to be a star of the competition.

Edited by AdamFarr

Hahahahaha vintage jcb.

Man you're pathetic.

Sorry really have to disagree with this part of the post. He is one player to put his body on the line deep in defence and i back him one on one against most as he rarely gets beat as for accountable thats just nonsense IMO.

However i do agree it would be great too see him have a run in the midfield as he really seems to relish the oppurtunity, he is a star already!

Could not disagree more. Where is the run from our backline going to come from? Our defence is already average paced. I don't think we can have Garland, Rivers, Warnock, Bruce and Frawley in defence at the same time. I see Garland and Rivers as similar players. Personally, I would like to see Rivs in the forward line while we are missing a few. That will allow Cheney to come in or Strauss.Give them game time.

Grimes on the ballw ill mean we cannot play Trengove, Scully and Gysberts and I think that is the future midfield with Moloney, Jones and Davey rotating with them. Grimes will be our captain from defence and I can't wait.

you just answered your own question.

by releasing Jack you have to bring in one of Cheney or Strauss, eventually even Blease, and they will provide the run needed

Edited by deeflog

Jack Grimes in the mould of Luke Hodge off the Melbourne Half Back Line...pretty valuable.

If you want backman who sit arm across their man when we have the ball than I advise a hot tub time machine to 1950...the game cannot be played like that. It's not as if his risks are hurting us, the opposite in fact.

Edited by pitchfork

you just answered your own question.

by releasing Jack you have to bring in one of Cheney or Strauss, possibly even Blease, and they will provide the run needed

In that case you're getting way ahead of yourself cos they're not ready.

Development doesn't mean simply putting kids in positions when they aren't ready and then watching them magically turn into capable players over the course of 10 games.