Brad Miller

bandicoot

Nope. Not even close. And I think you'd find even he would agree with that.

He needs a VERY solid last half to 2010 to be called "vindicated."

The good thing for him is, with a PB straight after he returned, that's bought him the next few weeks to give it his best shot.

He should look at Sylvia though. Time out for a few weeks, he comes back and kicks a PB of 5 goals, plays well for the next 2 weeks, then has three weeks of crappy form.

Even for one in his prime and as talented as Sylvia, form comes and goes.

Sorry, I should have said that better.

His SELECTION in the side has been 100% vindicated.

HIs form has always been up and down like a yo-yo. Thats why I said, 'for as long as it lasts..

Go Frosty.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad has been playing too far out from goal over the last few years and this has had a direct effect on his form and one of the reasons he's been ineffective. He was allowed to roam by Danners and finished up kicking the ball to where he should have been, it's obvious to all that he was incapable of kicking more than about 45mtrs so why they didn't tell him to remain close to the goal was beyond me. If he can play from the goal square and not feel the need to chase kicks around the ground then who knows, he may prove to be a valuable asset at least he will take the first or second defender.

I would love to see him make it, he is a great team man and they're the type who give you the greatest pleasure when they hit form.

The extended stint in the 2nd's most likely helped him gets some of his confidence back. As he is a confidence player. His drop in performance was matched with the teams decline. While I'll never argue he's a game breaker but maybe a player that plays well in a good team, without being expected to kick 4/5 every week.

Also the hawthorn and even west coast (post judd/cousins) are good examples. If you don't have a good midfield that can deliver the ball well into the forward line regularly all your forwards look crap.

I like her has come back with a good game and hope he backs it up in the coming weeks.

Well done to Miller.......thought he played a great game!

Risk taking by the mids and quick ball movement makes all the difference........that's why we got away with playing such a small forward line for our early wins.

The advantage with Miller is he creates a contest, bringing Bennell and co into the game.

Can't fault him for last night's effort. What more could we have asked for? We play better with someone playing the role that Miller did. Whether or not that's Miller's job in the future will depend on whether or not he can repeat that performance. More than once.

Didn't like the appearances he made in the backline though. Thought we'd move past that one.

Not sure that it has been mentioned, but the significance of Miller's punch to the boundary instead of rushing a behind in that last minute ruck contest in the goal square, probably won us the game. It soaked valuable seconds of the clock and created a contested (pressure) clearance from a back pocket; which of course is easier to defend than a kick in with the whole ground opened up - particularily as Port got to inside our 30 when the siren sounded.

He also contributed in defence when the pressure was applied in the last quarter and as an aside I think he kicked a few goals.

On top of his VERY good game this demonstrates very good decision making and dare I say it "Leadership".

Didn't like the appearances he made in the backline though. Thought we'd move past that one.

He just followed his man back there. I'd rather see him appear in the backline under those circumstances than stand alone in our forward line while his opponent kicks the winning goal unopposed.

He just followed his man back there. I'd rather see him appear in the backline under those circumstances than stand alone in our forward line while his opponent kicks the winning goal unopposed.

Exactly, he showed leadership by treking back there.

Exactly, he showed leadership by treking back there.

Well, no, not really. This comes back to my discussion in another thread about what defines leadership. Just doing what you're supposed to do on-field doesn't count as leadership. To not follow his man and 'cheat' back in the forward line would've been undisciplined and lazy. Leadership is more than not being undisciplined and lazy.

But they did not compete for the same ball through out the night, I think only once.

that is working together and knowing where the other big forward is and if need be putting yourself in a worse position to give your team mate a better shot at getting the ball.

This is the thing for Watts and Miller, and it was evident when they were playing for Casey. Watts would play further upfield and when he got it he seemed to know where Miller was going to run, and Miller knew where Jack was going to put it. And Miller in particular was good at making sure that his direct opponent did not provide a "third man up" at a marking contest with Watts.

I noticed too that there were a couple of times when Jack was not in the best position to mark the ball in a contested situation but managed to get it to ground to the advantage of smaller players such as Bennell & Jetta who also seemed to anticipate that it was going to happen.

Certainly in the first three quarters, it really seemed that the forward line was actually starting to function as a team, which hasn't happened all that often.

For Geelong, Scarlett is by far the most important player in setting them up from half-back, so Miller could be asked to trail him to try to reduce his number of uncontested possessions.

Well, no, not really. This comes back to my discussion in another thread about what defines leadership. Just doing what you're supposed to do on-field doesn't count as leadership. To not follow his man and 'cheat' back in the forward line would've been undisciplined and lazy. Leadership is more than not being undisciplined and lazy.

I read your thoughts in that thread, ID and I generally agree, although I'd defy you this time. He set an example by being back there, putting his body on the line, winning the footy and getting it out of there. We needed someone to stand up down there and he did it. It wasn't just his treking back, because I agree. I'd demand that of any MFC player.

Perhaps, but leaders are not undisciplined or lazy. Brad Miller shows his team-mates that discipline and hard work are virtues, so as long as he performs adequately on the field, his ability to set a good example cannot be underestimated. He may not be here when we win a Premiership, but then again, neither will James McDonald. Perhaps even Dean Bailey will be gone. Their legacy will exist solely in the things they've taught those who are still here. Don't underestimate that.

Scarlett will take Miller you would think. This leaves Watts with the second defender rather than Scarlett (double premiership, best FB in the game). Even if Miller does little except make a contest against Scarlett this is a win for the Dees.

I can't see us getting a 'win' anywhere lining up, looking at Geelongs backline.

Scarlett

Hunt

Taylor

Milburn

Mackie

Enright

I know what you are getting at though.

Really? It looked like he was starting some centre bounces in defence. Doesn't really matter.

A game does not a winter make !! However having said that I will certainly offer appreciation (suprise) and plaudits for a damn good game. It actually was a marrying of his ability with position, and occasion. Another however is that in all likelyhood he will not figure largely in our team going forwards. With the likes of Jurrah to return later and Bate at some time it makes it hard to fit him ( Miller ) in. It does release Green to roam further afield and I prefer him in that role.

I would sugest this role for Miller is more akin to a stop gap measure...just how big that gap is only time will tell.

Again though...he played well and he can for sure reprise it against the Cats if he so desires. Might make Bombers decision more cloudy than he (MT) thought a few days ago.

Edited by belzebub59

Miller played well. He has had better games and followed them by 10 shockers. I think he is under more pressure this week. He has to do it against a strong team. And lets face i might be the first to state he got some of the best joe the gooses i've ever seen. Very Sautner like!

Your right, & he did what was expected of him, & more. He kicked 5 goals as well, & worked hard all night in the oppressive heat. He looked like he handled the conditions better than a lot of them. Can anyone who was up there comment on his fitness in those conditions?

He gave Watts space, it seemed as did our other forwards.

Perhaps, but leaders are not undisciplined or lazy. Brad Miller shows his team-mates that discipline and hard work are virtues, so as long as he performs adequately on the field, his ability to set a good example cannot be underestimated. He may not be here when we win a Premiership, but then again, neither will James McDonald. Perhaps even Dean Bailey will be gone. Their legacy will exist solely in the things they've taught those who are still here. Don't underestimate that.

Spot on Chook, & I have changed my mind (re Miller), having looked @ the holes in our list, & then seen & studied the list age wise from top down. I think Miller is a must keep, New contract.

He won't command any trade value, but he's of more value to us in the goal square or at Casey, than elsewhere.

There are others who will struggle to get games with us next season, who are younger than Brad (some around the 23 yr mark & a couple around 25), & still have some worth to Other Teams, who'd like to try their ideas with those players. Perhaps a ruck/s, a mid/forward, etc...

For Geelong, Scarlett is by far the most important player in setting them up from half-back, so Miller could be asked to trail him to try to reduce his number of uncontested possessions.

Agree. But getting Miller to "trail" Scarlett is like chasing the horse after he has bolted from the paddock.

Scarlett will take Miller you would think. This leaves Watts with the second defender rather than Scarlett (double premiership, best FB in the game). Even if Miller does little except make a contest against Scarlett this is a win for the Dees.

Regardless of who takes Scarlett, he more likely to hurt you offensively more than defensively. The best way to curb Scarlett is to make he and other defenders accountable for their opponents and not take the risk to run off them which they do so well. And the way to do that is win the midfield contests and place pressure on their defence with well executed inside 50s. If we are under pressure in the midfield then Scarlett/Mackie/Enright will hurt us in the set up of their attacks.

Again though...he played well and he can for sure reprise it against the Cats if he so desires. Might make Bombers decision more cloudy than he (MT) thought a few days ago.

More cloudy ?... I doubt it. Recently Bomber stated that he leaves it up to his defenders on who they go to before the game. Bomber can sit back in the box and leave it up to his charges.