Scott Thompson rumour

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

He'll be hitting 30 just as we hit our straps, so he wouldn't be high on my priority list on that basis alone.

Would you rather he end up @ Carltoon? This is the danger that our window opponents get a break on us.

I'd be happy to give them a trade of PJ & Bell + Possibly, Maric...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't "desert" us. He asked for a trade back to his home town, but said if we couldn't get a good trade then he'd be happy to stay. Can't remember what we got in return, but the MFC obviously liked it, so they made the trade. It's not like he had a sissy fit like CJ or Brock. He was class all the way in his request.

I'd be more than happy for him to come back.

Agree. I still smile when I think of where CJ is at now. The only part that saddens me is thinking of his poor father who served our club proudly and how embarrassed he must feel. Scotty is a different kettle of fish altogether and would be welcomed back to this club with no hard feelings.

Agree. I still smile when I think of where CJ is at now. The only part that saddens me is thinking of his poor father who served our club proudly and how embarrassed he must feel. Scotty is a different kettle of fish altogether and would be welcomed back to this club with no hard feelings.

Firstly CJ & ST Would not get a game in my current team. CJ would have to displace Joel McDonald and be in line with others such as Strauss, Cheney. Scot would have to replace Jones or Moloney.

I say no way - we will not entertain him. We will look at players such as Chris Dawes,Laycock & Beau Dowler and the like for next year.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. My first reaction was "G f y, Scott", but I'd contemplate it.

Craig would no doubt want Jordie as part of any deal seeing as he was keen to lure him over the summer. No deal.

I really don't understand the anger that is still being directed at Thompson. He requested to go home for very good reasons and made sure we received a fair and honest trade for him, which we did (you could argue that we should have used pick 12 on a new draftee and not on Moloney, but that's a different story). He hasn't done anything wrong and left the club on very good terms.

Would I take him back? No, because I think he isn't going to necessarily fill any gaps we have in our list, and I'd rather he didn't take up the spot of an up and coming youngster given his age. But he is a damn good footballer, and for the right price (i.e.- if he wanted to come back to the MFC, entered the PSD and put a price on his head to ensure he got to us), then I'd certainly not say no. He is better than Bruce, Moloney and Jones who are getting regular midfield games at our club.

Beamer wasn't too bad a trade for Thompson.

With all due respect to Beamer, I would have rather kept Thompson.

Then with that deal he is off to Carlton.

We give them three players who cant get a game in a bottom ranked club (a showbag of nothing) and they give us a top line key midfielder.

Adelaide will be dribbling over that deal. Where do they sign?

When you trade for quality you have to give some quality to get it.....

I say no way - we will not entertain him. We will look at players such as Chris Dawes,Laycock & Beau Dowler and the like for next year.

I would rather another decent midfielder before some mediocre list clogger key position players.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. My first reaction was "G f y, Scott", but I'd contemplate it.

Craig would no doubt want Jordie as part of any deal seeing as he was keen to lure him over the summer. No deal.

Yes. No deal. Jordie stays for mine.

And that, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with all the suggestions to get Scott Thompson at 28 back (very good footballer, btw).

ST married a Melbourne girl recently and a few of the Dees players were at his wedding. In fact, I think J Riv was in the bridal party. Word is his new bride hates Adelaide (can you blame her?) and wants to come back to Melbourne.

If the right deal could be struck and price is not too high, I would take him back in a heart beat. Another suitably skilled, mature player would no go astray.

Probably. And while that sounds good in theory (elite on-baler for rookie pick), given Jordie's age and clear value on field... you'd be stupid to let him go for a player that'll last 2-3 years.

Not me. At the time, yes, and to have him in the side between then and now would have made a big difference to us on-field... but given how things have turned out, I reckon a fully fit Beamer from here on in was worth the few years of pain we suffered after Thompson was traded... That said, if taking him meant we could have made and won a GF... then obviously I'd change my mind. I don't think he's THAT good though.

As far as now is concerned with muscles... would having him be THAT great? I mean, he's a gun and all. But how many years left will he have? Will he deny a Tapscott/McKenzie... or God forbid a Trengove/Scully a spot in the 22? He's a player you move heaven and earth for if you're within reach of a flag in 2011/12... not 2013. And I reckon most people think 2012 is the earliest we'll start winning more games than we lose. Maybe to teach the kids?

I dunno. At a good price (late second/early third round pick) I'd still be concerned... and for anything more, I'd be annoyed if we took him.

Then with that deal he is off to Carlton.

We give them three players who cant get a game in a bottom ranked club (a showbag of nothing) and they give us a top line key midfielder.

Adelaide will be dribbling over that deal. Where do they sign?

Oh Rino, you didn't like my ambit offer? You rso serious.

I'm sure we could structure a realistic deal if it came to the crunch to get him. But we have to be in the game with the other wheeling & dealing.

Rhino, if you wanted him @ Melbourne who or what,,, would you offer???

A big thanks but NO Thanks.

A Very Good player,but not on our NEED list.

We have enough midfielders to field 2 teams.

(when they are all up and running).

We still have Blease Gysberts & Tapscott yet to come.

maybe Tapscott is homesick?

He is Trenners best mate,

Jamar ex SA is out of contract (end of the year)

We dont need Thompson, we really need a big strong marking forward.

Can they use Newton,Meeson,Miller, Bell, Maric ??

I doubt that.

In the next year or two, we lose Junior & Bruce.

We will have them covered.

Is is older than Luke Ball, I cant see MFC doing a backflip on youth.

Edit: I forgot to throw Rivers into the mix.

cant wait for Free Trade to kick in, All our young guns will be 'rumoured' to want out

Edited by Deevoted

Would you rather he end up @ Carltoon? This is the danger that our window opponents get a break on us.

Yes, yes I would. However, if we only had to trade away PJ & Bell for him, sure (they're a decent chance of getting the chop anyway)!

However, I was assuming Adelaide's recruitment and trading decisions weren't being made by a Melbourne supporter trying to undermine his employer.

In short, I was assuming we'd have to offer up something realistic in terms of draft picks and/or money, both of which I think can be diverted elsewhere for more benefit.

PS. Laycock? Jesus.

Deevoted we will need to do a backflip on youth at some stage. Whilst next year will most likely be too soon, at some stage we should add some experienced players if they are at the right price. For example Hawthorn got their timing exactly right on Dew. If they waited another year before adding the experience to their youth you could argue that they wouldn't have won the flag.

Just like how the dogs could have done with Barry Hall for the last 2 seasons. Really now they have him the boat may have sailed as Aka, Johno and others slow up.

I have heard some whispers that Kurt Tippett is infact going to the Gold Coast, all being kept hush at this stage. Adelaide are aware of this, he is currently playing under injury (no surprise here) and this may be the case for much of the year, ie why rest him if he won't be there next year when you can run him into the ground.

Deevoted we will need to do a backflip on youth at some stage. Whilst next year will most likely be too soon, at some stage we should add some experienced players if they are at the right price.

Yes.. but not next year, Thats the so-called-rumour.

Your point... they would have to look at anyone to poach at some stage in the future, Whatever the shortfalls are,they would have to look at every option available.

But RIGHT now we need a power forward.

The FD cant fix everything all at once,so maybe next years draft,they will target that problem.