Members Throwing Their Membership Scarfs in the Bin at MCG

MrMoose

It was reported at half time on SEN as "fact" and then never mentioned again. No mention of where it happened, who saw it or how the reporter (Granland?) knew.

Sounds like bollocks to me but it's a pretty wild thing to just make up. Probably saw one guy piff his scarf on the ground.

That's not pathetic, that's deluded.

Both are stupid extremes that point to people who don't really have a grasp on reality, but at least people who clap the team off the ground will be there next week and the week after that, continue to financially support the club and are not cowardly enough to run away crying when the going gets tough.

FFS, what the hell did people expect? That season 2010 will see a magical "win" switch turned on?

Jaded all your posts on here have been top notch but i couldn't disagree more!

How is it deluded to clap your players.

Players had shockers but some players tried their asses off and there is every single reason i was there clapping them and im proud right now to say i did.

I saw lots of players try hard on Saturday and its my position as a supporter to clap them and im proud of it .

Alot of players and coaching staff let us down on Saturday but if the players seeing support as they left the ground on saturday will give them a 1% boost for next saturday ill be there doing it every week

I wouldn't be surprised if one bloke - drowning his sorrows in a bar at half time says, crestfallen, like we all were, 'may as well toss this in the bin.' The next day that's somehow translated into hundreds of members binning their scarves. Sounds like rubbish to me.

Jaded all your posts on here have been top notch but i couldn't disagree more!

How is it deluded to clap your players.

Players had shockers but some players tried their asses off and there is every single reason i was there clapping them and im proud right now to say i did.

I saw lots of players try hard on Saturday and its my position as a supporter to clap them and im proud of it .

Alot of players and coaching staff let us down on Saturday but if the players seeing support as they left the ground on saturday will give them a 1% boost for next saturday ill be there doing it every week

I agree, i clapped them off, i wasn't happy but i bet they weren't either.

We are all in this together-and right now we are just above ground zero.

The players need us all there next saturday, and we gotta cheer every goddam goal loudly.

Go Demons

I decided not to collect my scarf at all for last few years for this very reason. Don't think it says a lot; mine end all ended up in the bin at some point towards the start of the season b/c I have my old faithful scarf anyway. I wish the club would stop giving 'em out as its a waste of money. Same with the beanies, or they could at least note that not all Melbourne members have square heads!

I agree, i clapped them off, i wasn't happy but i bet they weren't either.

We are all in this together-and right now we are just above ground zero.

The players need us all there next saturday, and we gotta cheer every goddam goal loudly.

Go Demons

Had I have been there I would have clapped.

I see it as petulant and childish to not show respect for the effort some of those players have given, especially the young fellas.

I understand not accepting a poor result and demanding better, but not at the expense of common decency.

Some people desperately need to pull their heads in.

Go dees :wub:

I know that many members, who were alreadysigned up, would have wanted to collect their scarves on Saturday. One would have also hoped that ourfirst “home” game for the season would have seen a surge in membership signons.

Understanding that the Club has no controlover the MFC website, I note that as of this morning, the membership figurestands at 27,134. If this isindeed accurate, how on earth could we have run out of scarves on Saturday?

Surely there was some contingency planning?

It was reported at half time on SEN as "fact" and then never mentioned again. No mention of where it happened, who saw it or how the reporter (Granland?) knew.

Sounds like bollocks to me but it's a pretty wild thing to just make up. Probably saw one guy piff his scarf on the ground.

I can tell you how it started.

Down on the members wing the radio station boundary riders sit in the first row.

At half time two older 'gentlemen' came down to the fence & were chatting to one of the SEN guys.

One of these gentlemen had members scarf on, so I assume they where members.

Anyway these two guys were big noting themselves a bit & I heard one say something like 'members are probably throwing their scarves in the bin by now'.

Next time the SEN guy went on air I heard him say something about scarves in the bins.

So 'bollocks' sounds like a pretty apt description to me.

I see it as petulant and childish to not show respect for the effort some of those players have given, especially the young fellas.

I understand not accepting a poor result and demanding better, but not at the expense of common decency.

I can't agree with you that not clapping your team off = not having common decency. I applauded many individual acts on Saturday (eg. Green coming back on the field, Scully's first run on, and many isolated individual efforts), but for me it would have felt disturbingly wrong applauding our players off the field in the first half, as I believe some of our supporters did.

I can't agree with you that not clapping your team off = not having common decency. I applauded many individual acts on Saturday (eg. Green coming back on the field, Scully's first run on, and many isolated individual efforts), but for me it would have felt disturbingly wrong applauding our players off the field in the first half, as I believe some of our supporters did.

Totally agree, my main concern at half time was to get away from the group of Hawthorn supporters who had spent the first half laughting at our teams efforts, I applauded similar things, but you only applaud something that has been gone and is worthy of acknowledgement, the first half certainly wasn't. At the end of the game I think a lot of supporters had either left or were sitting too stunned to applaud

That's not pathetic, that's deluded.

Both are stupid extremes that point to people who don't really have a grasp on reality, but at least people who clap the team off the ground will be there next week and the week after that, continue to financially support the club and are not cowardly enough to run away crying when the going gets tough.

FFS, what the hell did people expect? That season 2010 will see a magical "win" switch turned on?

Deluded? What garbage.

People have been going to the footy for years and clap them off after every game no matter what. They're deluded now? Kids clap them off, players family clap them off. Some people would've clapped off Scully, Trengove, Jordie and Grimes, and you don't think they'd deserve it? Deluded... what an idiotic call.

I didn't clap, and wouldn't clap, but I left before it finished.

Was busy looking in bins. anyone wants a scarf, 5 bucks.

Not sure I support your moral view. I will stay till the final siren and applaud the players for there efforts during the game. Once the final siren sounds in a game like last week, that its for me. Thats not to say I would ever boo them but hell if im clapping them off for that kind of insipid crap. My support during the game is enough.

I clapped, I even had a good day at the footy. I've got myself some new blinkers. They obscure players such as Dunn (which is easy because he's plainly afraid of the contest), Miller (I have respect for efforts but I now need more), Bruce (Can't watch that anymore), Moloney (Don't rate him, never have, admire his passion, I now need more). They also automatically track players who are under 21 and show initiative and effort. Hence I sat watching the likes of Grimes, Scully, Trengove, Mckenzie give a good presentation of our future. Unfortunately my blinkers didn't shield me from Hawthorn supporters. To think we almost merged with them. Shivers run down my spine.

Remember to enjoy the ride because that's all we've got.

If more of the players had the passion that some of you show on this forum, then improvement would soon happen.

Alas, at this point a major change of attitude is needed by the players and this won't happen quickly.

What few of you realise is, that without some success soon, we will not have a club to vent our collective spleens at.

Do you all think that if we continue to win less than 4 or 5 games each year, that financially we will climb completely out of potential oblivion?

Jimmy Stynes & Co have done wonders but even for them, miracles are quite a bit harder to achieve.

Over to you players, are you up to it...............improvement!!!!

I think its good to show some passion, too many people sit back and say " oh well, we are a young side" or other rubbish. For once i would like to see people fire up, half the people who write on this site are sheep and follow what others say.

Maybe its the supporters who need to show the team how to act.. so GET SOME BALLS PEOPLE AND STOP SITTING ON THE FENCE

Well said.....we should all be appauled that it has been nearly 50 years since Melbourne has won a flag and it doesn't look like coming in the foreseeable future....if this wasn't sport and involved something serious like world poverty or health, this type of performance would be seen as an absolute disgrace......so Melbourne Supporters get mad....get real mad, as the club has not delivered much hope for us long suffering supporters. P.S. How could they possibly give a one year extension to Bailey? Does anyone on our Board have any idea, or is it just NFI ?

I look too damn sexy in a scarf to throw it awY....Besides, still F%ing waiting for my members scarf!

Chin up, these are dark times, but a scarf is a scarf. Wear it with pride, even if we are the shits!

Well said.....we should all be appauled that it has been nearly 50 years since Melbourne has won a flag and it doesn't look like coming in the foreseeable future....if this wasn't sport and involved something serious like world poverty or health, this type of performance would be seen as an absolute disgrace......so Melbourne Supporters get mad....get real mad, as the club has not delivered much hope for us long suffering supporters. P.S. How could they possibly give a one year extension to Bailey? Does anyone on our Board have any idea, or is it just NFI ?

Are you going to say those words out loud to Jimmy Stynes??? I would like to be there to see it, pull your head in just a little thankyou. Nobody talks to our President like that.