• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Game Day: Adelaide v Melbourne 

Chelly

I trekked out to Elizabeth in time to see quarters 2-4......

In summary, though just a practice match, this was an 80-point better result than a Melbourne supporter living in Adelaide is used to seeing on the rare occasions that the side has been in town over the last few years. We're heading in the right direction! There will be more pain over the next two years and continuing skill errors that are just too painful to watch. But, as Dean Bailey says, let's get 50 games into all of these guys. Then the future will be very bright!

I just want to stop by here and thank everyone that saw the game for their excellent reviews and opinions.....

It sounds like it was a very bitter/sweet afternoon but, injuries aside, maybe, just maybe a step in the right direction.

So thanks again fellas, your dedication is not without appreciation :) !!!

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to stop by here and thank everyone that saw the game for their excellent reviews and opinions.....

It sounds like it was a very bitter/sweet afternoon but, injuries aside, maybe, just maybe a step in the right direction.

So thanks again fellas, your dedication is not without appreciation :) !!!

That's pretty much how I saw it... However that's only off the poorest radio coverage imaginable, so you have to kind of decode it. ie, if they say Rivers and Trengove are playing well, take it with a grain of salt as they're Adelaide boys... When injuries happen only listen to the location of the injury on the body, not what the commentators are guessing... that sort of thing.

Pretty much what we glean from this is that when a few injuries hit another club (even a top-4 contender) they get brought back to the pack. So much so that we can deserve to win against them, in torrential rain, and a long way from the MCG.

The long term injuries really were the only down points on the day.

I thinks the signs for the future are quite promising.

As much as we had the injuries - they are always going to occur....

I'm so excited that this match was an example of some of the flashes of hope we will see this year.

I guess the trick for everyone is not to be too down if we cop a loss like the last two weeks and then not too over board if we win or come close to....

Martin Definitely before Spencer in round 1, and I've gotta admit, Cheney was one of the Dees best today, took plenty of relieving marks in defence while McNamara picked up possessions after possession in the bak half and Strauss and Bail were also solid

That is a very positive post. If Mcnamara, Cheney, Strauss and Bail can make AFL standard consistently our depth just gets better. If Jamar, Spencer and Martin can stay fit and with Gawn to come and maybe even Fitzpatrick as a part time ruckman/forward in the future, our big man stocks are not too bad. Apparently Dunn did ok in the forward line and with LJ injured and Watts not ready he may be useful down there. The form of TS and JT yesterday would have made us all happy and they will only get better. Lastly I was pleased to see Gysberts mentioned in the best, even though with those fools calling the game I hardly heard his name called.

Sounds like a lot of positives came out of this match (although the injuries are the obvious negatives).

Scully and Trengove were standouts according to all, which is obviously fantastic. But I'm happy to hear Maric and Petterd played well. Petterd now has been our best forward over the last 2 weeks. Good for him.

I'm also happy to hear Cheney and McNamara played well. I think McNamara could sneak into our team soon, he's doing everything right when he's given gametime, and from what I saw last year he's a pretty decent kick.

Overall, despite the injuries, the loss, my house being flooded and having to listen to 5AA, it was a decent day for us.

We broke our record of visitors to the message board at one time. The previous record was 444 on the night of the last draft. We beat it today with 498 people at around 7:30pm.

Unbelievable. NAB Challenge, and we break the all time record. Puts paid to the theory that Melbourne supporters don't care.

I think Ricky P is starting to take control of the small forward position that we recruited Maric for... he's good for a goal or two a game, and has been kicking the occasional smaller bag.

I feel that either Maric or Wona can play along side Petterd in the forward line - but not both of them. Petterd plays well when given space to roam, using his solid marking ability and apply some defensive pressure. There is still room for a designated crumbing type. However if neither of Maric or Wona have done enough come round 1 we might be better served by playing another midfielder.

I feel that either Maric or Wona can play along side Petterd in the forward line - but not both of them. Petterd plays well when given space to roam, using his solid marking ability and apply some defensive pressure. There is still room for a designated crumbing type. However if neither of Maric or Wona have done enough come round 1 we might be better served by playing another midfielder.

And then there`s Jetta. These blokes are all possibly fighting for the same position, although having LJ out may give them a chance to prove themselves as our forwardline is already pretty bare.

All of Jetta, Wona and Maric may have to learn to become part time midfielders IMO

I couldnt add any comments to the initial post of this topic (it is locked) ... so I started my own!

I am new to this forum but have read plenty of posts and quite enjoy the banter.

Being from Adelaide, I don't see too much footy however with the match being in Adelaide I figure now

was the time to strike and provide some comments and insight into yesterdays game.

So yesterday I trapsed out to Elizabeth oval to see my beloved Dees take on the Crows.

The temperature dropped a full 6 degrees from Adelaide and within 15 minutes of arriving it started to rain.

Crows supporters made excuses early suggesting they had plenty of players out, however we had plenty of our

own ... Bruce, Macdonald, Davey, Sylvia, Bate to name a few.

The Crows started really well and owned the first quarter, however from there it was all Demons!

We shared the ball around and in some respects over used it, especially given the conditions.

Our backline was pretty solid, I thought Warnock played pretty well despite Tippett kicking five goals on him.

Grimes was really good, Frawley did some good things, and I really like Stef Martin ... I think he will take the next step this year.

I thought both Mckensie and Strauss looked pretty good and should get games this year (providing Mckensie is upgraded from the rookie list!). Two others on the rookie list in Spencer and Newton, in my opinion should stay there! Sorry but Newton just isn't good enough, and Spencer lopes around like a big galoot and most of the time looks lost!

Scully knows how to find the footy and was really good, quick hands and effective disposals.

Trengove didn't get as much of it but just always seems to have time and make good decisions.

There was an interesting passage of play, where Scully was running towards the forward 50 and he could have handballed over the top to an open Trengove to setup a shot for goal. Scully seemed to ignore Trengove and kicked to Miller who was well covered. I can imagine (and expect) there will be some competition between the two of them ... but lets hope that this was a once off and more just a poor decision at the time!!!

Gysberts looks ok, seemed to be in the right place at the right time ... but is still a few years off having a mature enough body to play at this level.

Up forward, Dunn and Miller were the targets and considering the conditions did pretty well. I would however like to see Miller exert more presence and break packs. Petterd was really impressive, and if Jurrah had played the forward structure looks ok. Before Jurrah got injured he kicked a 'trademark' kick over his head for a goal ... very impressive!

Apolgies to Maric fans, I just don't rate him ... and yesterday I saw nothing to change my mind.

All in all we were hard at it and had plenty of opportunities to win ... in fact with 10 mins to go Trengove, Scully, Green and Miller all missed set shots for goal. With a few senior players back and some more game time for some of the players I reckon we will be competitive through out the year.

I couldnt add any comments to the initial post of this topic (it is locked) ... so I started my own!

I am new to this forum but have read plenty of posts and quite enjoy the banter.

Being from Adelaide, I don't see too much footy however with the match being in Adelaide I figure now

was the time to strike and provide some comments and insight into yesterdays game.

So yesterday I trapsed out to Elizabeth oval to see my beloved Dees take on the Crows.

Thanks for the report and welcome to the forum.

Just thought of something with respect to the Crows game.

After the first 10 minutes, our midfield got even, or even on top of the crows.

The crows had Goodwin, Edwards and McLeod who are very experienced and proven to be very high level midfielders.

We had Junior Mc and Green. The rest of our midfield was made up of Grimes (12 AFL games), Scully (0 AFL games), Trengove (0 AFL games), Gysberts (0 AFL games) etc.

Does anyone else agree that the performance of these youngsters was not just up to expectations, but in fact well surpassed what we should have expected and may even be unprecedented in terms of the possessions gained by Scully and Trengove, who had 50 touches between them?

Jamar must get a mention too. And I can't believe how much better he's getting.

The crows had Goodwin, Edwards and McLeod who are very experienced and proven to be very high level midfielders.

We had Junior Mc and Green. The rest of our midfield was made up of Grimes (12 AFL games), Scully (0 AFL games), Trengove (0 AFL games), Gysberts (0 AFL games) etc.

Does anyone else agree that the performance of these youngsters was not just up to expectations, but in fact well surpassed what we should have expected and may even be unprecedented in terms of the possessions gained by Scully and Trengove, who had 50 touches between them?

I expected us to lose by 12 goals, it was an incredible result when you are missing

Davey

Sylvia

Morton

Moloney

Bruce

Bate

Garland

Wonaeamirri

MacDonald and

Watts

Blease

Tapscott

Gawn

with Jurrah, Bell, Newton and Jones all missing part of the match

you won't see a side much more depleted than that!

oh and of course there is the travel factor too! Excellent result!

Edited by Curry & Beer

Agree completely. Short of winning, which nobody reasonably expected, yesterday's game was almost everything we'd have wanted in an early-March hitout against a Top 8 side on the road. Excluding injuries of course, but that's footy, every Club has them.

Just got back from Adelaide. Decided at the last min to drive up on Friday arvo. I stayed In Horsham Friday night and left for Elizabeth Sat morning.

Things I took out of the game were..

Our young guys have a lot of heart. Special mentions to Jordie Mckenzie, James Strauss and Tommy Mac and Gysberts, when the game went up a notch these guys went with it. Mckenzie was an animal at times with his clearance work and Im now clear on why Adelaide chased him so hard.

Grimes, Trengove and Scully will form one of the best midfields we've ever had. All three of them are going to be out and out guns. Grimes works his arse off and the other two just glide around the ground racking up touches. Was good to see Trenners not backing down from the rough stuff, was more than happy to go on with it a couple of times.

Elizabeth has 10 time the amount of bogans than Dandenong but Is 5 times smaller.

I walked out of the ground disappointed as by the end the locals were giving it to me and I really wanted the win to shove it up them but It wasn't to be and a copped a verbal barrage as I left. Luckily my car was still in one piece as Ive heard they enjoy a Victorian number plate.

Anyway I'm glad to be home and now It's all said and done I'm fairly proud of our effort considering the players we had out and how young our team was.

I'm not very good with match reports so If anybody wants to know anymore Ill do my best to answer any questions.

If we are suggesting that scully and trengove are not going to pass the ball to each other because of some alleged competition between the two then we are doomed.

Don't worry, it's just a suggestion. The Adelaide commentators spent all game going on about how the two were giving it off to each other, in fact considering how biased they are I was amazed by their compliments. I get the impression that these two are going to love playing with each other.

Below is ana rticle from foxsports

'Despite the injuries, Melbourne's wider prospects for 2010 were made to look brighter for much of the contest, as draftees Jack Trengove and Tom Scully vindicated their high ratings by running rings around a comparatively flat Adelaide midfield during the first half. '

http://www.foxsports...5018851,00.html

Edited by Jarka

If we are suggesting that scully and trengove are not going to pass the ball to each other because of some alleged competition between the two then we are doomed.

There were several very nice passages of play where they combined well. Set up several goals I believe. They will have no problem working together. From the interviews, I think they both enjoy having someone who can keep up and who pushes them on at training.

CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR by SA Demon

Melbourne almost pulled off an improbable victory in the NAB Cup Challenge against Adelaide at Elizabeth, going down to the Crows by a mere 2 points thanks to a goal to Kurt Tippett in the dying seconds.

While it was a case of close but no cigar and there were other disappointments in the form of injuries suffered, the Melbourne hierarchy would be happy about the team's application, its refusal to give up and the fact that it was more than just competitive in tough circumstances and in foreign territory.

The Demons had a difficult afternoon. A very young and inexperienced team came over and endured a bumpy ride and a longer than expected flight to Adelaide due to the wild weather conditions. To make matters worse, they lost Liam Jurrah and Daniel Bell to serious shoulder injuries in the first quarter and Michael Newton in the second although his was not bad enough to curtail his day altogether.

The Demons started slowly giving the Crows a 19 point lead before mounting a great fightback scoring the next seven goals to go into the rooms at the main break by the same margin of 19 points.

Adelaide struck back with four unanswered goals before Melbourne steadied with a late goal in the third to leave them trailing by just three points at orange time.

The Demons had the better of the last quarter but botched four consecutive shots at goal from close range before Ricky Petterd slotted his fourth goal to give them a four point lead with less than a minute to go but a free to the Crows in the last few seconds sealed the win for the home club.

The main thing Melbourne can take from the game is the form of its younger brigade. For a club that has sadly lacked star quality for so long, fans will be inspired when the top two draft picks of 2009 get into the swing of AFL football. Tom Scully and Jack Trengove showed they are well on their way and the Demons' third pick (11 overall) Jordan Gysberts showed that he is not far behind them.

Ricky Petterd with four goals was good again and Jack Grimes, James Frawley and Kyle Cheney were among the better players. Rohan Bail played his best game while a "young" James McDonald produced some inspiring leadership by example.

Jordie McKenzie, James Strauss and Tom McNamara all showed signs of promise for the future.

While Melbourne will miss the services of Jurrah and Bell along with Cale Morton who sustained a knee injury last week, the team is due to get a swag of regular players back next Saturday for the last of the scheduled practice matches against the West Coast Eagles at Casey Fields.

Melbourne 3.0,18 7.2 8.3.51 10.7.67

Adelaide 3.2.20 3.7.25 7.12.54 9.15.69

Goals

Melbourne Petterd 4 Maric Miller 2 Jurrah Scully

Adelaide Tippett 5 Cook Gunston Petrenko Thompson

Best

Melbourne Scully Petterd Trengove Grimes McDonald Maric Gysberts Frawley

Adelaide Dangerfield Tippett Cook Goodwin Rutten Petrenko

Umpires

Injuries

Melbourne Bell (dislocated left AC joint) Jurrah (dislocated right shoulder) Newton (shoulder).

Adelaide McLeod (back spasms)

Reports Nil

Crowd 5000 (approx) at Elizabeth Oval.