• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our 1st game team vs Hawks

2014-Flag

Of Warnock, Rivers, Garland and Frawley, really only Warnock is unable to play on a small. The other three could all equally play on a tall or a small, and Rivers is adept at playing loose.

Rivers has time and again been torched by smaller fast players. He is not quick and much better in the air and playing on talls. Where he comes into his own is knowing when to peel off and when to defend.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good team.

..........Footy is all about matchups, so this needs to be taken into account against a Franklinless Hawthorn. .................

And possibly without Rioli, Burgoyne and Clinton Young. At the very least, there are very large question marks over their fitness.

I understand the logic, but there is no way Warnock isn't getting a game in Round 1 (fitness aside).

Regardless of the forwardline we are coming up against, it's important to keep the backline group playing together for as long as we can.

You may well be right, but he wouldn't be in my team come round 1.

And I don't agree with your next point.

EDIT: I should clarify my last point. In the main you're probably right, but Warnock is a very limited and one dimensional footballer. This type of player isn't immune form being left out due to matchups.

Edited by Oliver Hill

B: Rivers Warnock Mac Donald

HB: Grimes Frawley Bruce

C: Davey Maloney Sylvia

HF: Bate Miller Jurrah

F: Petterd Green Wona(Maric/Jetta)

Foll: Jamar Jones Mc Donald

Inter: Scully Trengove Martin Dunn

Emer: Maric Jetta Batram Bell

1. Warnock is the best match up for Roughead and therefore will play. Roughie is the man most likely to take the game away from us with Franklin and Rioli missing.
  2. Joel MacDonald will be in our best 22 all year (fitness prevailing).
  3. Garland will need to get significant runs on the board for Casey before being selected but once he does I am confident he can make a sizable difference at either end of the ground. Unfortunately it won’t be in round 1.
  4. Green at FF and Jurrah on a flank roaming is my preferred option. Miller can then play a decoy CHF leading up to wings with Bate and Dunn playing high/low half forwards floating back towards goal. Petterd should be given a chance in a pocket and we need a goalsneak so if Wona's not ready Maric or Jetta must play.
  5. Watts needs ground time before being an option so dependent on what he get’s under his belt before round 1 at this stage I would have him unavailable.

Noticeable flaws:

1. There’s isn’t a lock down fleet footer small defender in the side. Unfortunately our options (Bell, Bartram, Cheney) aren’t good enough to justify selection ahead the blokes in the team. Because of this it will be up to the likes of Bruce and the skipper to cover those gaps. Thankfully Rioli is unlikely to play. If he does play I’d expect Bartram to get the nod possibly ahead of Dunn.
  2. An over reliance on Jamar. Martin may develop into a decent player but I don’t belive it will be as a ruckman. I think for us to be successful at all we will also need the big Russian to bob up with a couple of goals resting forward most weeks. It’s a lot to ask of 1 player with minimal back up.
  3. Our forward line will need to create space very effectively be dangerous. Blokes that can kick goals from distance like Green, Sylvia and Bate will need space to run into and out of to hit the scoreboard regularly
  4. Obviously very young, but blokes like Trengove, Scully, Jurrah, Grimes, Petterd, Martin, Petterd and to a lesser extent MacDonald will benefit from playing together & on our home ground. Not as young however as it might be once Morton, Watts and Garland are ready to go.

These guys won't play, inadequate runs on the board without match practice regardless of how well they have recovered from injury. Garland due to length of injury, of course he's a slim chance if by a miracle he gets a run in our practice match at casey next week.

- Colin Garland – Foot – 1 week

- Neville Jetta – Groin – 1-2 weeks

- Jack Watts – Back – 2-3 weeks

- Sam Blease – Ankle – 2-3 weeks

FB:MacDonald Frawley Cheney

HB:Bruce Rivers Strauss

C: Davey Moloney Green

HF:Sylvia Bate Trengove

FF:Jurrah Miller Petterd

Foll: Jamar Grimes McDonald

Int: Martin Jones Scully Bennell

Emer from: Spencer, Maric, Wonaeamirri, Warnock, Dunn, McKenzie.

With presumed fitness:

Backline: MacDonald, Bruce, Frawley, Rivers are locked in the backline at this stage. With no Franklin I've left out Warnock in favour of Bennell, Cheney and Strauss. Speed and youth need every opportunity. If they flood their forward line with a ruckman, Stef Martin can follow him. I'll back him as a defender against Taylor, Renouf or Skipper (sidenote - Jamar must be a real strength in this game). I've got no doubt our match committee will go with Warnock, but I like the gamble of leaving him out. His preseason form has been average so far. Bennell has been average as well, and I'm not a huge fan of Cheney - I'm hoping someone interesting like Tom McNamara or Rohan Bail can step up in the last 2 practice games.

Midfield: Davey, Moloney, Green, Grimes, McDonald, Jones appear certain. Scully and Trengove get the opportunity over Dunn or another forward. Sylvia also rotates through.

Forward: I've only named the 4 set forwards - Bate, Miller, Jurrah, Petterd. Miller is needed, the other 3 are good. I wanted to get another forward in but need convincing Maric or Wona deserve a spot come round 1. Also midfield rotations are important and Green, Sylvia and Davey can play forward when not in the middle.

And possibly without Rioli, Burgoyne and Clinton Young. At the very least, there are very large question marks over their fitness.

The Hawks have had a pretty poor preseason thus far:

Burgoyne is almost certain to miss along with Sewell and their weak ruck division will be on wood for a while... could be very interesting.

Edited by grazman

If frawley cant do it no one can.

There is a strong possibility that Roughead may have to play in the ruck.

My best opening round team now is:

FIRST ROUND TEAM –2010

B: CHENEY WARNOCK RIVERS

HB: MacDONALD FRAWLEY STRAUSS

C: BRUCE McDONALD TRENGOVE

HF: GREEN MILLER BATE

F: DAVEY JAMAR PETTERD

R: SPENCER DUNN JONES

I: SYLVIA McKENZIE MALONEY SCULLY

Edited by jayceebee31

Considering the injuries we have:

B: Rivers Warnock Cheney

HB: MacDonald Frawley Strauss

C: Davey McDonald Bruce

HF: Bate Miller Petterd

FF: Sylvia Green Wonaeamirri

R: Jamar Grimes Moloney

I: Trengove Martin/Spencer Scully McKenzie

E: Bennell McNamara Maric

Will be interesting to see who plays next week vs West Coast.

Martin vs Spencer for back up ruck will be a dual as well. With no Jurrah and most likely no Watts, Martin might get the nod as a 2nd ruck/forward (which won't work, but might happen regardless). I'd prefer Spencer.

I also think McNamara is playing well, and might get a spot instead of Strauss or Bennell.

Edit: Goodvibes reminded me of McKenzie, who should play.

Edited by titan_uranus

Very little love for McKenzie. He'll play round 1. Watts, Wona and Garland will need time. At least two, if not all of Bate, Davey and Bruce will get up.

I agree about McKenzie, he should play rd 1, good in and under player:

According to Schwabby, Bater and Wona came through the Casey match unscathed, and will probably play next weekend, given our lack of scoring options, I'd say they will both play rd 1 if they get through against the Eagles. Cam Bruce and Col would both need to play this weekend, but on the back of limited preseasons, you'd think they'd be given more time. Davey will play unless injured.

B RIVERS FRAWLEY STRAUSS (Very tough for the 2nd back pocket spot).

HB MacDONALD WARNOCK TRENGOVE

C DAVEY SCULLY GRIMES

HF MILLER BATE SYLVIA

F PETTERD GREEN MARIC

Foll JAMAR JONES MOLONEY

INT SPENCER BRUCE DUNN McDONALD

EMERG: MARTIN CHENEY WONNA MacNAMARA BALE McKENZIE (? eligible now)

LOOKING FORWARD: Watts Garland Jurrah Bell Tapscott Gawn Fitzpatrick Gysberts

Edited by Barry Dawson

We are a big sniff against the Hawks.

Simon Taylor broken leg had surgery this morning out for four months

Brad Sewell broken Collarbone. Unsure about return date

Source: Fox Sports

We are a big sniff against the Hawks.

Simon Taylor broken leg had surgery this morning out for four months

Brad Sewell broken Collarbone. Unsure about return date

Source: Fox Sports

Starting to agree! Sewell is a massive blow to them. Broken Collarbone would be minimum 6 to 8 weeks. Let`s hope Rioli doesn`t get up cos he could bury us. He hasn`t had much of a pre season so it`s doubtful he`d play.

HAWTHORN’S injury curse from 2009 might not be gone just yet with Alastair Clarkson’s team suffering two fresh blows less than three weeks before the start of the home and away season.

Ruckman Simon Taylor will be sidelined for four months with a broken leg while star midfielder Brad Sewell will also miss the start of the season after scans confirmed the Hawks’ crucial clearance player has a broken collar bone.

The pair received the injuries in their side’s practice match loss to North Melbourne at North Ballarat Oval on Saturday.

The fresh injuries come on top of recent concerns over star recruit Shaun Burgoyne (hamstring) and Cyril Rioli (groin), who both remain in some doubt for round one.

Don`t forget Lance Franklin is out for Round 1 also.

Hopefully For us, Matthew Bate, Aaron Davey and Cameron Bruce are all right for round 1 so they strengthen our team. But don`t get to excited cause we may very well have lost Liam Jurrah.

Still, it evens up the game a bit, not having to worry about Lance Franklin, Shaun Burgoyne, Cyril Rioli, and Simon Taylor. Now Hawthorns general in the ruck department is Brent Renouf. Mark Jamar would fancy his chances.

20 days......... CARN DEMONS!

Edited by MelbournePassion

I'll stick my neck out & say that from Rd 1 we should start with Trengove, Scully & Grimes in the centre square with Jamar. Partly because these three - Scully in particular - seem to go much better on the ball than as wingers or flankers. Partly because this is already our most creative midfield combo as far as setting up teammates is concerned. And partly because this is going to be our star midfield for years to come so they may as well get used to playing together.

I'll stick my neck out & say that from Rd 1 we should start with Trengove, Scully & Grimes in the centre square with Jamar. Partly because these three - Scully in particular - seem to go much better on the ball than as wingers or flankers. Partly because this is already our most creative midfield combo as far as setting up teammates is concerned. And partly because this is going to be our star midfield for years to come so they may as well get used to playing together.

with Taylor, Sewell, Bateman, Burgoyne all missing we really should be looking to take the honours in the midfield. The huge issue is going to be getting enough goals on the board, cannot see how it is going to happen, unless all of Bate, Petterd and Miller step up for 3 or 4 each

Not sure I'd go for that. The hawks play rough. I'd be expecting them to try to hammer our young guys at the bounce. Might be better off putting a couple of bigger bodies in there.

Lets not get over excited by a couple of Hawk injuries or under estimate an incredibly strong Hawthorn list.

Despite significant injuries and suspensions, Hawthorn still has (in my opinion) the strongest list in the comp. The Hawks early injury issues seem disturbingly similar to their injury and suspension problems round 1, 2008. A day the the dees were destroyed by 15 goals. A day that sent a message to all other clubs and went a long way to setting up Hawthorns premiership season and our old lists destruction.

Don't forget we will be fielding a very inexperienced team with next to no finals experience verses the 2008 flag holders with superior depth, physic (age), and class.

It is far too early to expect Gimes, Trengove and Scully to match it with the Hawthorn midfield. You are kidding yourself if you believe our forward line even at its strongest (which it will be a long way off) will be able to kick a winning score against this seasoned, premiership, defensive unit which has been further strengthened in the off season.

Further our list has been equally hit by injury as Hawthorns, any gain that we may have due to Hawthorns poor off season luck has been neutralised by our own horrific injury list.

If you expect a victory (or anything close) against Hawthorn, your expectations are far...... far.. too high. Over inflated expectations put unnecessary pressure on what is nothing more than a bunch of kids, with kids bodies, with limited time playing together and with an incredible lack of experience.

These kids of ours have talent....... cream... which over time will rise to the top...... but this is still some time away.

We will not win this game, I expect a solid loss and will be ecstatic to see a competitive four quarter performance resulting in a 3 - 5 goal loss. Realistically this is where we are at and the best we could hope for. Don't believe our one eyed optimistic crap....... our own bs. We are where we are (12 wins in 3 seasons) and we should not have expectations of the highly unlikely or even the impossible.

Patience is a virtue!

Edited by Grand New Flag

Lets not get over excited by a couple of Hawk injuries or under estimate an incredibly strong Hawthorn list.

Despite significant injuries and suspensions, Hawthorn still has (in my opinion) the strongest list in the comp. The Hawks early injury issues seem disturbingly similar to their injury and suspension problems round 1, 2008. A day the the dees were destroyed by 15 goals. A day that sent a message to all other clubs and went a long way to setting up Hawthorns premiership season and our old lists destruction.

Don't forget we will be fielding a very inexperienced team with next to no finals experience verses the 2008 flag holders with superior depth, physic (age), and class.

It is far too early to expect Gimes, Trengove and Scully to match it with the Hawthorn midfield. You are kidding yourself if you believe our forward line even at its strongest (which it will be a long way off) will be able to kick a winning score against this seasoned, premiership, defensive unit which has been further strengthened in the off season.

Further our list has been equally hit by injury as Hawthorns, any gain that we may have due to Hawthorns poor off season luck has been neutralised by our own horrific injury list.

If you expect a victory (or anything close) against Hawthorn, your expectations are far...... far.. too high. Over inflated expectations put unnecessary pressure on what is nothing more than a bunch of kids, with kids bodies, with limited time playing together and with an incredible lack of experience.

These kids of ours have talent....... cream... which over time will rise to the top...... but this is still some time away.

We will not win this game, I expect a solid loss and will be ecstatic to see a competitive four quarter performance resulting in a 3 - 5 goal loss. Realistically this is where we are at and the best we could hope for. Don't believe our one eyed optimistic crap....... our own bs. We are where we are (12 wins in 3 seasons) and we should not have expectations of the highly unlikely or even the impossible.

Patience is a virtue!

I agree with almost everything here. My only query is the comment that the Hawks defence has been strengthened. They've lost Croad, Hodge is moving up the field. What have they gained? They have a 19yo with talent and an overrated import in the form of Gibson. Their back six is where they will be beaten this year. The good sides will walk all over them.

This of course does not help us. We don't have anyone who can exploit their poor backline.

Are we really THAT desperate for a win? I'd prefer to see only a couple of injuries on the opposition side. We're going to learn less about the squad going up against sides that are decimated by injury. And we can't rely on big injury lists for our wins all year.

good call, I like that suggestion. The centre square clearances hasbeen a great weakness under Bailey. We now have the firepower to fix that, especially to exploit Jamar's expected superiority in the rucks

I agree that all of the players you mention will get a run through the middle during parts of the game, but there will be many others rotating through as well. I think they'll need to have at least one experienced on-baller in the centre bounces each time. I expect to see combinations like Moloney, Scully, Grimes and McDonald Trengove Sylvia etc. I wouldn't expect to see Scully Trengove Grimes all attending the same centre bounce yet.