Where will we be????

Demon Stalwart

We are almost too the start of the season proper and I would like the opinions of all who post here as to how they believe Melbourne will perform for the first six games of the season

Because I believe these first six games will basically determine how the Melbourne Faithfull will respond for the rest of the year

You will see the first 5 out of 6 games will be at the MCG; supposedly this should give us a home ground advantage. But that will depend on how the players respond

Below is the fixture for the first six games

ROUND ONE:

Saturday, Mar 27

Melbourne v Hawthorn MCG 2:10 pm

ROUND TWO:

Saturday, Apr 3

Collingwood v Melbourne MCG 2:10 pm

ROUND THREE

Sunday, Apr 11

Melbourne v Adelaide MCG 1:10 pm

ROUND FOUR:

Sunday, Apr 18

Richmond v Melbourne MCG 1:10 pm

ROUND FIVE:

Melbourne v Brisbane Lions MCG 7:10 pm

ROUND SIX:

Saturday, May 1

North Melbourne v Melbourne Etihad 2:10 pm

So what’s your take?

My opinion, (based on current indicators)

Round 1 probable loss

Round 2 probable loss

Round 3 probable loss

Round 4 possible win

Round 5 probable loss

Round 6 probable loss

So I see maybe 1 out of 6 wins

I honestly hope I’m wrong and I hope that the Melbourne players can truly shake me to the core

and drag me out of this lethargy that I am in.

But my main concern is not the win loss ratio but rather their competitiveness I will become more positive (even if unfortunately I am right in my opinion) as long as the Melbourne football club is competitive and no loss is by more than 24 - 30 points

Any thrashings in these first 6 games will be a nightmare and even though the coaches may term such a loss as "character building"

To me it means a long, long season and an even longer wait before I can even hope to see Melbourne as a finals contender

and unfortunately I am not getting any younger :(

After supporting the Melbourne Football club for 49 years my window of opportunity is getting smaller every year that passes. :wacko:

But even though I am being cold hearted with my opinion believe me I have never wanted to be proven so wrong as badly as I do now.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expect the unexpected when you have a young talented list.

A couple of thrashings.

A couple of wins against good opposition.

Don't read too much into NM winning a couple of games in the preseason. They're still weak. We have a legitimate 50-50 shot at that one. Well, maybe 60-40. I agree that we'll go down in the other four. It's simply too early in the season for our young guys to be showing enough to challenge them.

I think we can win 0 - 2 matches from the first 6 games probably Ricmond, Brisbane and North are our main hopes but Would be great to knock off a potential top 4 team in Hawthorn, Collingwood or Adelaide. I am much like you and really hope we don't see any embarasing loses (like round 1 last year). From what i have seen so far in the pre season hasn't impressed me much but come round 1 i expect the players and team to be ready.

Edited by Daz's Dee's

i dont think dees fans will be upset and angry if they lose as long as the put up a fight.

we cant keep letting teams think they got a easy run

if we play the way we played against freo each week surely some eyebrows will be raised and questions asked.

this year is about finding out where players belong, getting our kicking right and making our game plan work!

all we want to see is improvement.

hopefully we get everything right this year and be confident going into 2011

go dees

Honestly? I can see us being anywhere between 0-6 to 5-1, with our only certain loss being Collingwood. I am confident we have the potential to win all but 1, but I am not confident we actually will.

Honestly?

3 out of 6.

Boom.

I would have thought 2?! Richmond and North are our likely's, but I think Adelaide will take a while to get up and going with a few injuries and pre-season form?! Hopefully we can catch them on an off week!

2 wins of the 1st 6 games should be the minimum.

More is a bonus.. I expect 8 wins for the year.

That leaves 6 more wins to go for season.

I expect blowouts. I also expect some -should haves if only

I expect & demand a much better season next year.

We are capable of pushing most teams this year.

A lot depends on our injuries throughout the year,

Edited by Deevoted

3 out of 6. I reckon we'll roll Adelaide, Richmond and Brisbane.

2010 will mark the return of the Dees home ground advantage. 5 years ago we hardly ever lost at the G and last year the players began to love it again late in the season, playing by far their best footy on the hallowed turf.

I think we'll just get beaten by Nth and Hawks and lose by a big margin to the Pies.

Edited by Allen Jakovich

2010 will mark the return of the Dees home ground advantage. 5 years ago we hardly ever lost at the G and last year the players began to love it again late in the season, playing by far their best footy on the hallowed turf.

I really hope we pack the 'G' it would really give Scully & Trengove and others a real boast.

3 out of 6 Hawthorn, Richmond and Brisbane.

Our 3 losses by an average of 25 points.

Most consistent comment from opposition "They are going to be a very good side"

3 out of 6 Hawthorn, Richmond and Brisbane.

Our 3 losses by an average of 25 points.

Most consistent comment from opposition "They are going to be a very good side"

Please get realistic- after round six we will be 0 wins 6 losses.Possibly one win against Richmond.

Edited by jayceebee31

Please get realistic- after round six we will be 0 wins 6 losses.Possibly one win against Richmond.

Mr Negative strikes again! I suppose we will be 0 and 22 by seasons end, the club will have lost $500,000 and we only managed to get 25000 members. All because we lost the first two pre-season games. Doomed we are..... Fair dinkum

If we're 1-5 I won't be at all bothered. These are some pretty good teams we're facing. If we fail to overcome a pitiful Richmond I'll be upset, but a win over any of the others is a bonus. It's the second half of the season where we'll be showing something. By then some of our young guys will be finding their feet and we have a better run of opponents.

Mr Negative strikes again! I suppose we will be 0 and 22 by seasons end, the club will have lost $500,000 and we only managed to get 25000 members. All because we lost the first two pre-season games. Doomed we are..... Fair dinkum

To be fair, he was pretty positive going into the season before losing that CRITICAL Grand final like NAB practice game.

Who can blame him. Look where we are.

We are basically last on the ladder with 0 points. Our percentage is a pitiful 0. We haven't even got a 2010 Rising Star nominations for any of our rookies. Brad Miller still leads our Goal Kicking tally with 0.

We are basically last on the ladder with 0 points. Our percentage is a pitiful 0. We haven't even got a 2010 Rising Star nominations for any of our rookies. Brad Miller still leads our Goal Kicking tally with 0.

On the upside, alphabetically we're just out of the 8, our defensive record is the best going around and our midfielders are also leading our goalkicking.

Vs The Hawks (W)25 points

Vs Magpies (L)67 points

Vs The Crows (W)3 points

Vs The Tigers (W)15 points

Vs The Lions (L)6 points

Vs The Kangaroos (W)45 points

I wouldn't put money on it, but i'm gonna be positive.

We will get belted by Collingwood. We could well get belted by Adelaide.

Of the remaining 4, we can, and I'm thinking will, beat Richmond and North Melbourne. Which leaves Hawthorn and Brisbane, two which IMO could go either way. Most likely a loss to Hawthorn and a close game vs Brisbane, but both teams could thrash us, yet I think at our best we could beat both of them.

So I'm guessing we'll be 2-4, maybe 3-3.

0-6 would be a very disappointing outcome, andd 1-5 would depend on how we're playing (i.e. if we're getting smashed then not good obviously, but if we're getting close or playing decent football then excusable).

Edited by titan_uranus

Nothing wrong with being realistic. We are NO chance against the Hawks and the Pies. If we don't get flogged I'll be pleased. We are 50-50 maybe 60-40 to beat the Tigers. After that a surprise victory is our best chance. Based on our record over the past 2 years we are no chance away from the 'G. The reality is, we are not going to win a lot of games this year. 5 or 6 wins will be OK.

There's no "minimum" of wins we should expect, but I think 3 of 6 is definitely possible.

However, even if we win 0 of 6 I see no real need to panic.