NAB Cup Team

Brayshaw Self

Young kids: Scully, Tapscott, Blease, Trengove, Gysberts, Fitzpatrick, Maric, Watts?

Previously injured: Wonaeamirri, Garland, Blease (again)?

Which experienced players will play aswell?

Which young ESTABLISHED players will play?

Edited by davey's gravy

A very rough stab in the dark, which includes a couple of (non tanking) experiments:

B McNamara Warnock Bennell

HB Bell Frawley MacDonald

C Davey Sylvia Trengove

HF Tapscott Morton Bate

F Maric Jurrah Martin

Foll Jamar Grimes Jetta

INT Bail Jones Green Cheney

Moloney Petterd Dunn Rivers

I'm giving Sylvia a full game in the middle to put his solid pre season to the test and to find out whether he has what it takes to be a quality midfielder. I'd like to see Jetta have a decent run on the ball, he looked good V's Carlton and I'm not convinced he'll make it as a goal sneak. The next phase of Cale Morton's education is to play him as a key forward, so I'm expecting him to play the entire pre season in the forward line. Grimes will obviously be experimented in the midfield with the departure of our clanger king to Carlton, I hope he impresses! Finally Daniel Bell is in a contract year so we might get a bit of value out of him this year if injury free...see how he goes in the NAB CUP.

Rested/recovering/omitted/not ready - Woneamirri, Bruce, McDonald, Watts, Scully, Garland, Gawn, Fitzgerald, Gysberts, Johnson, Miller, Bartram, Blease, Strauss, Spencer, McKenzie, Hughes, Meeson, Newton.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

We will be going in full strength with maybe the skipper being the only one that could be rested. If our best 22 is fit they will play

Cheney Warnock Frawley

Bruce Rivers MacDonald(new)

Morton Sylvia Davey

Green Miller Bate

Petterd Jurrah Maric

Jamar Jones Moloney

Johnson Martin Trengove Bennell Dunn Grimes Jetta Strauss

IMO guys that aren't able to train with the main group now will not be available for this game, Aussie, Watts, Scully and co.

I think that one that will surprise will be Gysberts.

I dont much about him but apparently he is training well and is a possible inclusion for round one according to Williams........so I think he will get a crack in the NAB cup

Edited by cat attack

• 3 weeks later...

Wonaeamirri Jurrah Petterd

Sylvia Bate Morton

Watts Grimes Trengove

Garland Frawley Bennell

Rivers Warnock Davey

Jamar Trengove Jones

Maric Jetta Scully Martin Strauss

Edited by Roost It

CHENEY WARNOCK RIVERS

BENNELL FRAWLEY MACDONALD

GRIMES MOLONEY MORTON

GREEN MILLER SYLVIA

MARTIN JURRAH JETTA

JAMAR McKENZIE JONES

I(FROM) MARIC, BELL, BARTRAM, SPENCER, PETTERD,HEALEY,TRENGOVE,GYSBERTS..

In terms of the club wanting to get young guys blooded as quick as possible, i think we'll see a real young side in the pre-season cup..

b: BENNELL WARNOCK MACDONALD

hb: RIVERS FRAWLEY GREEN

c: JETTA SLYVIA BATE

hf: JURRAH MARTIN PETTARD

f: TAPSCOTT WATTS TRENGOVE

r: JAMAR DAVEY JONES

i/c: MOLONEY BRUCE GRIMES DUNN MORTON GYSBERTS

emg: McNAMARA CHENEY BAIL

big names missing: BLEASE SCULLY STRAUSS WONAEMIRRI MARIC GARLAND (injured) CAPT.MAC (late start 4 the oldie :) )

the rest: MILLER NEWTON BELL etc.. (not good enough)

If we DONT start playing the newbies STRAIGHT AWAY, were going to basically be the same core of players as the last year or 2.. and we know how far that got us..tanking aside, we were never going to win more than 4-5 games last year anyway! So we need that injection..

Were only a season or two away from having to leave 'good' players out of the team - players that may already look like 'stars' to some...

CANT WAIT!! B) Stay Patient people..

It's difficult to say..Inter club praccy might give a better idea??

I reckon there's probably only 9 players on the senior list that maybe are at the crossroads. Namely, 'Bail, Bartram, Bell, Cheney, Dunn, Johnson, P, Martin, Miller, and McNamara (possibly harsh...)' which leaves 31 players that would be in contention (perhaps minus Fitz & Gawn) so maybe 29, plus Spencer & McKenzie from the rookie list..

I guess some would argue that Dunn, Miller, Martin all have strong claims, so you'd have to throw them into the mix..That's 34 players with claims to a senior spot with only 26 being selected...Meaning 8 players with legitimate claims (barring injury) will miss out.

It's a great situation to be in, because the 1st and 2nd year players are going to force the likes of Bruce, McDonald, Green, & Jones, etc to be right on top of their game if they are to play week in week out. Competition for spots is absolutely crucial for success...and something we finally have!!

I suspect 1st & 2nd year guys like Strauss, Maric (3rd), Trengove & Tapscott are going to be pressing hard for selection early. Add the long term injured Wona and Garland and you've got 6 young players who probably would've walked straight into our best side in R22 last year.

With the likes of Watts, Scully, Blease, and Gysberts possibly set to feature a bit later, the midfield and high/half forward spots in particular are going to be hotly contested.

I think the Casey Scorpions are going to have a very strong side this year just quietly!! (injury situation permitting of course)

Edited by Benny & The Jett

Wait a tic. You're in Seattle? I was there a bit last season. Nice place, but the footy must be a bit hard to get a hold of.

As for the thread, did I read somewhere that we're planning tentatively to select mature players and try to win the thing for some extra bucks?

Personally I reckon we'll find that it won't be a youth extravaganza like other years. I would suggest though that a handful of the best performed youngsters on the training track will be selected for game 1. After that, it's mature players, as there's money on the line.

I think maybe a Healey/Bail/Hughes type will get snuck in somewhere. But it's more likely to be seen, on the whole, as a kind of serious intra-club match.

B: Bennell Rivers Cheney

HB: Macdonald Matin strauss

C: Gysberts Sylvia Jetta

HF: Morton Miller Maric

F: Aussie Bate Jurrah

R: Spencer Moloney Grimes

I/C:Mckenzie McNamara Dunn Johnson Bartram Jones

Emg:Davey Bruce Mcdonald

Wonaeamirri Jurrah Petterd Sylvia Bate Morton Watts Grimes Trengove Garland Frawley Bennell Rivers Warnock Davey Jamar Trengove Jones Maric Jetta Scully Martin Strauss
I think Trengove will acquit himself quite well in AFL and hopefully the NAB. I wish we did have two of him. ;)

Wait a tic. You're in Seattle? I was there a bit last season. Nice place, but the footy must be a bit hard to get a hold of.

Hey Dan,

Yeah been in Seattle since June 2008 (wife's career move) so it's been a good time to miss the Dees..lol! We'll be back for the 2011 season, just in time to see the great resurgence. What were you doing in Seattle recently? What are you up to now? cheers.

PS - I watch 3 live games a week on espn360.com and have the int. package where I can watch all games on 24hrs delay. I'm covered!

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Of those on our 2009 list, I want to see as many of Strauss, Blease, Cheney, McNamara, Maric, Spencer, Wonaeamirri, Martin, McKenzie, Bail and Jetta as possible. Basically the youngest, most inexperienced players.

Don't want to see Newton at all.

Of the new kids, I reckon we'll see Gysberts and Tapscott, and maybe Scully and Trengove.