• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

McLean for Gysberts - worth it?

Jastone

Did we get the better/raw end of the deal?

Youtube footage:

Re-worded: Are you happy right now with the selection we made at 11? Were you surprised?

Just read that he was 2nd in the draft kicking contest, must have a laser pass! Looking forward to watching him develop.

Edited by Jastone

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we get the raw end of the deal?

Judging from youtube footage:

He doesn't seem too flash hot, not sure if he was worth of pick 11.

Wont know for 3+ years. Hopefully he will come out and show signs next year and we will know the answer sooner.

With all the players available at pick 11, do you think BP would have picked someone he didn't see having a bright future?

McLean walking out on Melbourne means we have got the better of that deal.

Judging from youtube footage:

He doesn't seem too flash hot, not sure if he was worth of pick 11.

Well.... and I'm just guessing here... I think the recruiting department may have had slightly more insight into his ability than the one clip on youtube. That the consensus didn't have him going as early as pick 11 doesn't worry me. If all we needed was consensus to pick players then the club could save it's money on staff by using the plethora of phantom drafts to make it's choices. I'll back the professionals over the amateurs every time.

Plenty wanted a KPP for pick 11 and again the consensus was that either Talia or Black were the two most likely. Talia went to a club whose track record of selecting first round talls isn't exactly flash (Fergus Watts, Meesen, Sellar) and Black slipped to 25 - which suggests plenty of other clubs had their doubts as well. Only time will tell, but I think the selection of Gysberts (second for kicking at the draft camp) and Strauss and Blease last year shows the emphasis that BP and DB place on being able to hit targets.

let me ask you this?

Is the 2015 commodore going to be more of a classic than the VL Walkinshaw?

My point is how the F%$K can you compare a kid that has just left high school and yet to don the jumper to brock Mclean?

Yes, it is worth it because we get the OPPORTUNITY to get better. With Brock, we knew what we have. Gysberts could be better, and if not surely he won't be far of the mark from Brock anyways, so relaaaaaaaaaaax.

Well.... and I'm just guessing here... I think the recruiting department may have had slightly more insight into his ability than the one clip on youtube. That the consensus didn't have him going as early as pick 11 doesn't worry me. If all we needed was consensus to pick players then the club could save it's money on staff by using the plethora of phantom drafts to make it's choices. I'll back the professionals over the amateurs every time.

... I think the selection of Gysberts (second for kicking at the draft camp) and Strauss and Blease last year shows the emphasis that BP and DB place on being able to hit targets.

They have definitely gone for quality of disposal as a priority in this draft with both Gysberts and Tapscott, who seem to both be one-touch hard-nuts, great tackling etc. Gawn & Fitzpatrick seem to have good disposal for talls also.

I'm all for it. The player Im surprised they didn't take at 11 is Jetta, but they clearly wanted another type.

He will be a fine player I would think! 190cm midfielder/forward.

Automatically makes him one of our better midfield marking options in the corridore either through squaring up from the wings or conveyance down the guts. An area where we have been lacking with predominantly short inside mids.

Edited by 1858

I was totally blindsided by this. I'd only heard of him because one poster mentioned him as a shot at 11 (well done that man!). I never even considered him to be in our plans.

He's a big lad, tall for a mid as has been mentioned. He has skills and can take a mark. He runs like a machine (although not like a Scully). He is also someone who has played with Scully for two years in rep. sides and clearly has a very good understanding with him. That sort of chemistry in our midfield is priceless.

It will take a few years to be certain, but I can be hopeful and say he looks like cog that will fit nicely into the midfield machine we have coming.

Youtube footage:

Re-worded: Are you happy right now with the selection we made at 11? Were you surprised?

Just read that he was 2nd in the draft kicking contest, must have a laser pass!

Absolutely I'm happy Mclean didn't want to play for us

this kid Gysberts does he'll wear Red and Blue Mclean won't

as far as Mclean goes he doesn't exist look ahead to the future

it's much more exciting.

End of story

It'd be a fairly boring site if no one commented on things until they were black and white.

By then you don't need to discuss things.

By the same token it's pointless discussing things when there's no tangibles, or even any intangibles to measure against.

Youtube footage:

Brocky didn't do all that much in'n'under stuff & was mainly playing inside/outside, but was a bit of a plodder. Used the ball well & made good decisions I think, but really too slow to hurt the opposition.

Gysberts, who'm I'm still geting used to, instead of a key forward, seems to me a definate in/under with quick mind & hands & to play linkup around the middle to free the runners.

This could be smart, time will tell.

I was dumfounded when we had the option for a tall forward & didn't take it. Only just settling down now.

We will need to recruit some tall defenders next year I think as I don't think Warnock & Rivers will go much beyond the 30 yrs mark.

We won't be able to tell for a few years, by which time we would've forgotten about McLean.

Looking at it now, I'd say no, but I don't think it's a massive issue and the extra kid will fit in with our premiership window, but realistically, it won't matter, it's done now and we'll have to live with it.

Gysberts replacing Mclean, worth it? Hell yes!

Gysberts wants to play for The MFC. The other fella was not really interested.

Gysberts is committed, the other loser was not.

Gysberts is not slow.

Gysberts has a LOT of improvement in front of him.

Win for us!

Youtube footage:

Comparing pick 11 for McLean is probably inevitable but its basically a fruitless excercise at this stage wouldnt you think ?

Just be supportive who we picked

McLean was best on the ground in the 2003 TAC Grand final.That night it was a quagmire- he had smething like 34 possesions. His background as a junor -McLean was a graduate of the AIS/AFL academy, and member of the U18 International Rules team in 2003. He played TAC Cup football with the Calder Cannons. He was selected in the 2003 AFL National Draft by the Melbourne Football Club with its first round selection (#5 overall) and Melbourne's second selection overall, owing to a pick in the priority round.

Whilst Gysberts background is-J

Jordan Gysberts

Height:188cm,still growing, they say he is now 189 cms..

Weight:83kg

A smart footballer who can play forward or back, he is very efficient by hand and foot. Midfielder. Taken with Pick 11.

His major claim to fame was earlier this year when he was voted best on the ground against South Africa- David Swallow(will be voted in the top 2 in next year's draft) was also voted one of the best-Jordan Gysberts was also a member of AIS and voted by Chris Connolly as the 4th best midfielder in this draft.

Fri, Nov 27, 09 6:19 PM Tue 21 April, 2009THE AUSTRALIAN Under 17 side defeated the South Africa Lions on Monday while on tour in South Africa as a part of the AFL-AIS Academy program.

The match was played at Boland Park in Paarl, north of Cape Town.

Australia Under 17s 23.14 (152)

South Africa Lions 3.2 (20)

BEST

Australia: Gysberts, Atley, Swallow, Lycett, Mott, May

South Africa: Prinsloo, Sobetwa, Sifanelo, Boki, Xmasa, Motubu, Mitchell

GOALS

Australia: Mott 4, Stevens 4, Duncan 3, Stubbs 2, Atley 2, Hartigan 2, Crichton, Lycett, Nicholls, Gysberts, May, McDee

South Africa: Jawe, Motubu, Malinga

Although a one-sided match, spectators were impressed by the skill level and tenacity shown by both sides. The three goals scored by the South African side in the last quarter showed their determination and an impressive ability to run out a match.

The Australian side played an attacking brand of football exhibiting some of the lessons learnt from the game against Williamstown on Saturday April 12. All players played their role in the win with Victoria’s Jordan Gysberts being awarded the man of the match at the post game function.

The AFL-AIS Academy Squad has been in South Africa for the past eight days spreading the word of FootyWILD (the South African version of NAB AFL Auskick). There are over 17,000 participants across the South Africa playing Australian football.

The squad will remain in Cape Town for the rest of the week before travelling to Perth to take on Peel Thunder as a curtain raiser to the Fremantle v Sydney Swans match on Saturday April 25 at Subiaco Oval.Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network,

Therefore, by gee he can play. McLean slowed up due to the pace of the game and a badly injured ankle. Whether this improves this year we will have to see. However, major upside with Grysberts and I am glad he is with us

Comparing pick 11 for McLean is probably inevitable but its basically a fruitless excercise at this stage wouldnt you think ?

Just be supportive who we picked

Good call Swampfox, I hope Demonlanders never compare this new draftee with McLean. He has no act to follow.

I hope Gysberts has a great career with us and it turns out as good as the TJ/Grimesy deal

The fact is - if anyone in the media actually knew that the MFC was tracking Gysberts as a potential first rounder, his name would've been all over this site and no one would've been surprised at hearing his name called out at number 11.

The MFC seemingly held its cards very closely to its chest and flew under the radar on him. He's no less of a player as a result - it's just that he didn't get the superficial chat room attention prior to the draft.

Gysberts is obviously a little ripper, and he probably complements the style of our other future elite midfielders, rather than mirrors the style of those others.

Balance is important and he probably adds more to our midfield mix than some of the other names that were bandied about.

I'm going to love watching this team over the next decade.

The fact is - if anyone in the media actually knew that the MFC was tracking Gysberts as a potential first rounder, his name would've been all over this site and no one would've been surprised at hearing his name called out at number 11.

The MFC seemingly held its cards very closely to its chest and flew under the radar on him. He's no less of a player as a result - it's just that he didn't get the superficial chat room attention prior to the draft.

Gysberts is obviously a little ripper, and he probably complements the style of our other future elite midfielders, rather than mirrors the style of those others.

Balance is important and he probably adds more to our midfield mix than some of the other names that were bandied about.

I'm going to love watching this team over the next decade.

Very good points- however he is a medium size ripper- only rassin !