• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The official best and fairest thread

dees189227

2009 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy results

1 - Aaron Davey (82)

2 - Brent Moloney (69)

3 - Cameron Bruce (56)

4 - Matthew Bate (47)

5 - Nathan Jones, Colin Sylvia, Matthew Warnock (44)

8 - James Frawley (43)

9 - James McDonald, Cale Morton (42)

11 - Brock McLean (41)

12 - Jared Rivers (39)

13 - Mark Jamar (30)

14 - Brad Green (29)

15 - Ricky Petterd (28)

16 - Jack Grimes (24)

17 - Liam Jurrah (21)

18 - Clint Bartram (20)

19 - Brad Miller (18)

20 - Paul Johnson (16)

21 - Jamie Bennell (15)

22 - Russell Robertson (14)

23 - Stef Martin (13)

24 - Lynden Dunn (12)

25 - Shane Valenti (11)

26 - Kyle Cheney, Neville Jetta (9)

28 - John Meesen (8)

29 - Matthew Whelan (6)

30 - Michael Newton, Jake Spencer (4)

32 - Addam Maric (3)

33 - Paul Wheatley (2)

This is a joke surely! Michael Newton actually got votes? Wonder who he bribed for that. I can't recall him doing a thing right this season.

Gippy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a text from a mate who was there apparently Brent Moloney acceptance speech: "there are great things happening and if you don't want to be here on this line then you can fack off to Carlton!"

My guess is that no current Carlton players were there in person to collect the award for finishing 11th in the b & f even though it was a convenient drive to this particular venue.

Brock McLean was not present on the night and was not mentioned at all - apart from Beamers comment. Simon Buckley was not there either.

It seems to be a regular occurrence for the winner of the Best Player in seconds (or now in VFL affiliate side) is a guarantee of getting delisted.

My guess is that no current Carlton players were there in person to collect the award for finishing 11th in the b & f even though it was a convenient drive to this particular venue.

:lol: Yes. Bit tight on those hammy's I'm tipping.

Fair effort from Mark Jamar to poll 30 votes in about one third of a season.

Good call.

Congratulations to Aaron on his B&F, and to all the winners. Well done Beamer too.

Edited by High Tower

Yes it was. On a pro rata basis he beats Davey.

Beamer did make the comment but without the swear word. It was very well received. Of the 2009 list Brock, Buckley and Trent Zomer didn't attend. Shane Valenti was there.

Each of Wheater's, Robbo and Matty Whelan made a speech. Wheels was first up and was short and sharp. Paul Wheatley gave the most impressive speech of the night and whilst the delivery was not Obama like the content was absolutely outstanding. He is clearly a club man, highly respected and admired. His speech included the comment "I would have loved to go on and play next year but I realise that given where the club is it would be wrong of me to take the place of a young player." He is an outstanding young man. Robbo's speech followed and was typical Robbo. He clearly feels aggrieved about being delisted. He could have learned something from Wheaters.

The other speech of note on the night was Colin Sylvia. Genuine thanks to the club for supporting him, clearly implied he had underperformed and seems ready to realize his talents.

In excess of $60,000 raised for the club as well with 9 people paying $6,000 to join the team when it visits Adelaide next year and be included in "everything". About another 25 who pledged $500 each to support a rookie, it could have been more, I'm not sure of the number.

A good night, very positive and some genuine excitement about next year.

Well done Aaron :)

Dees for Aaron another nice insight by Flanagan on our new Bluey winner

Let her rip in 010 Flash !!!

I dont think is the right place to ask but i saw he was there and he could be my favourite player if he gets up and going. Just takes the game on and i love it. Did anyone that went lastnight bump into Sam Blease and ask him how his leg is going? is he going to be able to get a big chunk of pre season in?

Congratulations to all the placegetters, but especially Flash who had his best year after 'average' form over the previous few seasons, and Beamer who has come back from several years in the injury doldrums. In a sense both resurrected their careers, and will hopefully go on and be leaders on and off the field during a very successful era for the Melbourne Football Club.

How did the ex dee players go?

11th!!! HA! No WONDER they wanted to pay him less.

What i find ironic is Shane Valenti got 2 awards

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of rookies and promoted rookies... but for a while there it was fairly normal for a player to be delisted and then redrafted late in the draft a few weeks later... I think something to do with mandatory delistings or something. Is there any chance of this happening with Valenti? Maybe someone here can shed some light.

Pretty funny He played less than half the games that Brock did, with hardly any ground time compared to him in some of them, and was only a couple of spots behind him on the list.

The other speech of note on the night was Colin Sylvia. Genuine thanks to the club for supporting him, clearly implied he had underperformed and seems ready to realize his talents.

That's huge. I know this isn't the first time we've heard this from Col... in fact he's been trotting out this line for a while now... But unless I'm very much mistaken, just about EVERYTHING he does, on-field and off, screams of this kind of mentality. It's not just the usual media-speak that players fall back on, simply because of the fact that he's playing some pretty hard to ignore footy, and playing it the right way.

I've been waiting for a favourite since Neita retired... Sylvia's not far off now. If he keeps this up he could be the closest thing we have to a complete player. And that kind of hard work and success through adversity is EXACTLY what you want younger players to see in their formative years.

I'm no expert on the ins and outs of rookies and promoted rookies... but for a while there it was fairly normal for a player to be delisted and then redrafted late in the draft a few weeks later... I think something to do with mandatory delistings or something. Is there any chance of this happening with Valenti? Maybe someone here can shed some light.

I've read one or two posts that suggested this. I'm not so sure about Valenti being re-drafted. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

:o

He and Brock are very good mates, so I find that a little hard to believe.

Although he is one passionate guy. Love watching his head nearly explode everytime he sings the club song!

Believe it. I was there and several people at my table nearly fell off their chairs at hearing his words. He was pretty fired up.

On another topic, Liam Jurrah was thrilled to win the best first year player award, and to get Robbo's jumper.

You know...all in all its great to see players get fired up and respecting the jumper, both individually and as a team. It bodes well...and they should get goosebumps when the dark, dark Blue and blood Red make their return ;)

I've read one or two posts that suggested this. I'm not so sure about Valenti being re-drafted. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

From what I hear for him to be rookied again he waould have to be delisted and rookied again. Confirm anyone?

Could it be that the club is letting him try his luck in the drafts to get himself on to a senior list with the intention of rookie listing him again if he slips through?

I think that's the plan for Valenti. We have selection number 1 in the rookie draft after all, so if he doesn't get picked up somewhere else then I'm sure we'd be delighted to have him around another year.

If he still doesn't quite break through to permanent AFL level, he'll be a great captain for Casey in a few years.

2009 Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy results

1 - Aaron Davey (82)

2 - Brent Moloney (69)

3 - Cameron Bruce (56)

4 - Matthew Bate (47)

5 - Nathan Jones, Colin Sylvia, Matthew Warnock (44)

8 - James Frawley (43)

9 - James McDonald, Cale Morton (42)

11 - Brock McLean (41)

12 - Jared Rivers (39)

13 - Mark Jamar (30)

14 - Brad Green (29)

15 - Ricky Petterd (28)

16 - Jack Grimes (24)

17 - Liam Jurrah (21)

18 - Clint Bartram (20)

19 - Brad Miller (18)

20 - Paul Johnson (16)

21 - Jamie Bennell (15)

22 - Russell Robertson (14)

23 - Stef Martin (13)

24 - Lynden Dunn (12)

25 - Shane Valenti (11)

26 - Kyle Cheney, Neville Jetta (9)

28 - John Meesen (8)

29 - Matthew Whelan (6)

30 - Michael Newton, Jake Spencer (4)

32 - Addam Maric (3)

33 - Paul Wheatley (2)

Hi folks. Long time reader but new poster here. Love the site, but not as much as I love the Demons.

Anyway, thought it about time I participated, instead of just using you all to get the latest news and gossip.

Firstly, congratulations Flash. I think the Age article BB59 linked to pretty much sums up the value of Aaron to our club. So important both on and off the field. Would have been AA this year in a more successful side. Love him.

Secondly, I thought it would be interesting to rank Swapfox's list on B&F points per games played. Not sure if this will tabulate very well, but here goes ..

Player | B&F | Games | Average per game

Mark Jamar 30 7 4.285714286

Aaron Davey 82 22 3.727272727

Brent Moloney 69 21 3.285714286

Cameron Bruce 56 19 2.947368421

Matthew Warnock 44 17 2.588235294

Colin Sylvia 44 17 2.588235294

Brad Green 29 12 2.416666667

Matthew Bate 47 20 2.35

Liam Jurrah 21 9 2.333333333

James McDonald 42 18 2.333333333

Nathan Jones 44 20 2.2

Jack Grimes 24 11 2.181818182

James Frawley 43 20 2.15

Cale Morton 42 21 2

John Meesen 8 4 2

Jared Rivers 39 20 1.95

Ricky Petterd 28 18 1.555555556

Clint Bartram 20 15 1.333333333

Brad Miller 18 17 1.058823529

Jamie Bennell 15 16 0.9375

Lynden Dunn 12 13 0.923076923

Paul Johnson 16 18 0.888888889

Michael Newton 4 5 0.8

Kyle Cheney 9 12 0.75

Stef Martin 13 19 0.684210526

Jake Spencer 4 6 0.666666667

Neville Jetta 9 15 0.6

Addam Maric 3 6 0.5

It shows a few things that won't surprise many: The fantastic seasons of Flash and Moloney. Warnock continues to be one our most valuable assets. Green, despite only 12 games, as consistent as ever. Johnson, Bartram, Miller and Newton's very average seasons.

It shows a few things that shouldn't surprise many, but seem to: The solid seasons of Bruce and Bate. Both seem highly underrated by many on here, in my opinion.

It shows a few things that will please everybody: The breakout season of Sylvia. The great debut (or close to) seasons of Jurrah and Grimes.

And, most obviously, and as already pointed out by some posters, it shows how valuable Jamar was when he managed to get onto the ground. Given our other ruck options, the value of a big-bodied, experienced ruckman who can also pinch-hit forward and is about to enter his prime years, should not be undersold. At least until Meesen or Spencer come on, we need to keep the Russian at all costs. I'm a bit disappointed that we only signed him for a year. Two would have been nicer.

Go Dees!

Does any one know if the speeches will be made available either by podcast or video on the clubs

website it would be great to hear what was said by the executive and players?

It sounds like a pretty inspiration night was had and the 2mins I've seen of Jim just isn't enough.

Ooops my mistake looks as though the club has posted some video on the website already.

Edited by Diablo Deemon