Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is one way to do it. Bruce is on $500+, Green $400+, JMac would be looking at $250k-300k at a guess, and Davey's contract is being negotiated right now.

But there is still a ways to go to reach the $7.53m minimum that we have to pay.

Chris Connolly has already said that we are frontloading contracts. For instance, if Morton is getting $500k over 2 years they might pay him $300k in 2010 and $200k in 2011. Those numbers have no source, they may be well off. It is just an example to help people wrap their heads around what I am saying.

But the fact remains that our youth and our lack of stars means that our kids will be payed more than their counterparts at other clubs. This is not a problem at the moment.

It only becomes a problem when these inflated salaries are renegotiated when we are good in a few years time and we have to pay even more over-the-odds salaries.

I am having trouble figuring out how this is that difficult to understand.

And it is not the overriding reason why I would like to pursue Burgoyne, merely an added bonus in my eyes.

Are you an accountant?

Im good with numbers too, but your explanation shat on mine.. ;)

Yeah Its easy to see how we could be tripped up in a few years, the way we are conducting things now..

But when it does catch up with us in a few years l'll be confident -Id hope- if it was necessary to keep the team together and for all the comradery and culture the players will have built,

that everyone would be willing to each take a pay cut needed to keep everyone in the same jumper. As Geelong did recently.

If I were a player I'd be extremely unhappy with having a contract so heavily front-loaded in the 450-50k example. I'd be asking my manager to get a (much) better deal than that.

It's more to do with tax rates. The backend of a frontloaded contract is likely to still be at or above the highest income tax threshold otherwise it is a bad deal for the player.

Financially, front loaded contracts are a much better deal for the player - provided they are not a muppet at managing their finances......

Yeah, today was supposed to be the day. Looks like it isnt going to be. Unlikely at least. Which goies to show just how little the so-called media 'insiders' know about what is actually going on.

you would think the longer he delays any call on his future the more likely he is to be staying at port. thats my thoughts anyway

Then again on the footy show last thursday Hutchy said Pendlebury will play, end of story.

Forgot about that. Just goes to show how little this man actually knows. As someone's already said, he just makes a lot of statements and trumpets the ones he gets right, and everyone seems to forget when he gets one wrong.

you would think the longer he delays any call on his future the more likely he is to be staying at port. thats my thoughts anyway

No. He's leaving. It's just a matter of how long it's going to take before chooses a club. But he won't be going back to Port, and they've acknowledged that.

It's more to do with tax rates. The backend of a frontloaded contract is likely to still be at or above the highest income tax threshold otherwise it is a bad deal for the player.

Financially, front loaded contracts are a much better deal for the player - provided they are not a muppet at managing their finances......

yes and no... Sportsperson come under a different regime in terms of how they are treated by the ATO.. They effectively get to load share it over a number of years anyway ( thats hte simple explanation... takes pages otherwise..lol )

Front loading is more likely to affect the payee in this arangement. Keep in mind in a year or so we will need to start paying some of these kids a lot more than we are presently. I dont really see this great problem of salary cap attainment that others seem concerned with.

yes and no... Sportsperson come under a different regime in terms of how they are treated by the ATO.. They effectively get to load share it over a number of years anyway ( thats hte simple explanation... takes pages otherwise..lol )

Why? Surely you are just taxed on your earnings for the financial year. In good years I can earn double and then some on what I take home in a bad year. It's never bothered the taxman before (he types as he furiously knocks on wood, nothing to see here mister taxman, move along)

Why? Surely you are just taxed on your earnings for the financial year. In good years I can earn double and then some on what I take home in a bad year. It's never bothered the taxman before (he types as he furiously knocks on wood, nothing to see here mister taxman, move along)

Income avergaing for special professoinals

knock yourself out :rolleyes:

Confirmed on the Hawks website:

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarti...33/default.aspx

Somewhat happy with the result. He was over-rated for the money he was demanding.

Unless he falls into our lap in PSD very happy with this turn of events.

Today could well prove to be a very significant day in our future success.

Bring on the draft

Edited by Old Man Rivers

What a surprise!

Yes how true, but it is still disappointing for me cause it's just another gun player that doesn't want to come to the club cause we are a basket case. I thought we could have a good year next year but there is nothing like a few slaps in the face to bring me back to earth. Hopefully Scully is Judd like and Jurrah is Buddy like cause that is the only way we will improve I think.

Let's just hope he gets there.

Why?

I'd prefer for a deal not to be reached and take him via the PSD. 4 picks in the first 18 and an excellent, game breaking midfielder would be a nice end to the year.

Unlikely, as he's using the threat of Melbourne to try to force Port to send him to Hawthorn, but I don't see how anyone could be adverse to gaining Burgoyne.

Edited by Ho Chi Dee

It's a good result for us. Hawthorn have to do a deal otherwise they'll risk losing him in the PSD. In light of the Brock McLean story I'm guessing that Pick 2 is definately off the table now.

Yes how true, but it is still disappointing for me cause it's just another gun player that doesn't want to come to the club cause we are a basket case. I thought we could have a good year next year but there is nothing like a few slaps in the face to bring me back to earth. Hopefully Scully is Judd like and Jurrah is Buddy like cause that is the only way we will improve I think.

Whoa, easy on big guy. He nominated the Dees in his top 3 clubs ... many other Melbourne-based clubs didn't rate a mention.

It's a good result for us. Hawthorn have to do a deal otherwise they'll risk losing him in the PSD. In light of the Brock McLean story I'm guessing that Pick 2 is definately off the table now.

The question PA will pose to the Hawks now is, if McLean is worth pick 11, surely Burgoyne is worth more than pick 9?

I never said that he doesn't want to come to the club because we are a basket case.

I think the truth is that he had made up his mind from the start where he wanted to go and he's finally announced it now. As a club, the MFC's response to his announcement was fairly muted compared to 2 years ago when Chris Judd put us in his list of "possibles". I think we gave him a hearing and that's about it. He really doesn't fit the profile of the type of player you want at a club in the early stages of rebuilding. At 27, with a bad knee and a couple of years of indifferent form behind him, he was always going to be outside the parameters of what we're looking for in a recruit.

Are we a basket case?

I don't think so. We did advance significantly in 2009 and will continue moving upwards at a fast rate. Given a good year with the health of the players I expect significant improvement.

I never said that he doesn't want to come to the club because we are a basket case.

I never said you did. I only agreed that it wasn't a surprise. I think we are a basket case with the fact that no one ever wants to come to us and arguably our best midfielder leaving after only 1 ordinary year for a speculative pick. I may change my mind when I see our kids play but today has been a very disappointing day that has just shown me that we have a very very long way to go.