• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

If Burgoyne can't get a trade to Hawks or Dons, and goes into the PSD, he has to nominate a contract price. If he nominates $750K, whoever drafts him has to pay it. I certainly hope the MFC doesn't and i doubt the Hawks will or can. Maybe the Dons will with SC space.

He might be just shooting himself in the foot (or is that the knee :))

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Burgoyne can't get a trade to Hawks or Dons, and goes into the PSD, he has to nominate a contract price. If he nominates $750K, whoever drafts him has to pay it. I certainly hope the MFC doesn't and i doubt the Hawks will or can. Maybe the Dons will with SC space.

He might be just shooting himself in the foot (or is that the knee :))

Unless there is a pre-determined figure between himself and MFC and agreement to get him the PSD in the first place then I am not entirely sure that he will hold the same figure if he goes in the PSD under "normal" conditions. If we don't pick him then Richmond, Freo can all have a chance so it will show how much he wants to come to MFC or maybe I am missing something here.

Article: Burgoyne weighs up three tempting options

F$@% Burgoyne. Sorry but asking 750k from us and only 600 from the other teams is shocking. Who the hell does he think he is? Ronaldo?

Geezez christ tell him to [censored] off, he will only be a short term boost anyway we don't need him to win a flag in the future.

ONCE AGAIN

Burgoyne has not come out and confirmed this

MFC has not confirmed this

Port has not confirmed this

Hawthorn has not confirmed this

Essendon has not confirmed this

Its a bloody rumour being spouted by suspect 'journalists' who are often wrong and are never held accountable.

Stop believing everything you bloody read.

F$@% Burgoyne. Sorry but asking 750k from us and only 600 from the other teams is shocking. Who the hell does he think he is? Ronaldo?

Geezez christ tell him to [censored] off, he will only be a short term boost anyway we don't need him to win a flag in the future.

In the Age this morning:

"It is understood Burgoyne could command about $700,000 a year in a three-year deal at either Melbourne or Essendon, but with a tighter salary constraint with a premiership winning list, Hawthorn would be unable to offer more than about $450,000 a year."

So, perhaps this is a more soothing explanation.

And as I inderstand it, to go into the PSD, a player has to nominate a price tag. Then anyone can draft them.

Poker anyone?

In the Age this morning:

"It is understood Burgoyne could command about $700,000 a year in a three-year deal at either Melbourne or Essendon, but with a tighter salary constraint with a premiership winning list, Hawthorn would be unable to offer more than about $450,000 a year."

And as I inderstand it, to go into the PSD, a player has to nominate a price tag. Then anyone can draft them.

Poker anyone?

Well this is better. Still 700k? I mean he played 9 games last year and at the peak of his powers averages about 20 touches a game, even if they are good touches I can't see it being worth 700k a year for 3 years.

Edited by Mr Morton

Quote from Mark Williams

"The team that gets him will be very, very lucky."

I wonder if he is referring to PSD 1? :P

knowing Chocco ( not personally) he might screw SB as well, but Port was a lot stronger when Stevens left, they are rebuilding to some extent themselves. Hawks pick would be better than no pick to the club. PSD or nothing

NOT WORTH 700k. He may be a good player but the value for the price is terrible.

What I mean is

Oh Burgoyne is a great player and our club would be so much better off with him in our team bla bla bla....so many sheep around here.

Edited by Mr Morton

$750,000 for a $400-450,000 player is ridiculous. I'm sure Melbourne knows exactly what Burgoyne is worth to us, and won't pay more than it.

Here you go DangerousDan...

If that is your real name...

It most likely is not...

rpfc isn't mine either...

How could it be?

Doesn't have a vowel. Names really need vowels...

You use sarcasm so often its become boring now..

So I'll use it to my advantage..

Yes, a player asking for more money because a team is at the bottom of the competition is dumb, glad you pointed it out.

ANYONE who would prefer a player that would grace us with his presence - for the right price,

over a player thats wants to be at the MFC..

Well, they should barrack for Carlton..

RPFC - Who even mentioned Bruces Contract?? Who said Burgoyne is worth $400,00 a year

(Ive only read $500k+ so far)

YOU brought it up cause you wanted to make a point to suit yourself..

(Btw- Id still have Cam Bruce at 27, before Id have S. Burgoyne at 27 - so imo the $$ issue, isnt one)

Also, I think you are naive. But you're not alone.

And I mention Bruce's contract to point out that we have to pay someone, and why not Bruce and Green and Burgoyne on big money?

Better than Morton on silly money now, and even sillier money when we are half decent and need cap room.

Here you go DangerousDan...

If that is your real name...

It most likely is not...

rpfc isn't mine either...

How could it be?

Doesn't have a vowel. Names really need vowels...

Not necessarily.

I used to know a guy named TC.

His dad was a used car salesman...

for those in the SB camp, im not, what would we be offering?

I'd give him up to $700K to go in the PSD so we don't have to trade for him.

I'd give him $450-500K if we have to trade, and I'd only be willing to give up a combination of pick 34, Newton, Miller, Bartram, Bell, Johnson, Cheney & maybe Dunn.

And Bruce cos I don't rate him.

Guest hangon007
In the Age this morning:

Poker anyone?

I will play and I want a few other posters in this thread to pay & play ... ;)

Guest hangon007
knowing Chocco ( not personally) he might screw SB as well, but Port was a lot stronger when Stevens left, they are rebuilding to some extent themselves. Hawks pick would be better than no pick to the club. PSD or nothing

Williams is full of BS ... hes bluffing ... hello ... he ain't got a contract Chocco ... you are in no position to be calling the shots.

1 week ago you had 10 options to negotiate with ... ie 10 Victorian Clubs

Today you have 3 nominated clubs ... Burgoyne nominated 3 preferences ... Ports position gets weaker by the day

Plus should mention I get the feeling that 1 of the three might be restricted on salary cap restraints .... hehehe!

If he nominates 1 club ... let the "fireworks" begin ... Ports position weakens even more. Ports best outcome is to generate competition between Hawks & Dons.

Edited by hangon007

I'd give him up to $700K to go in the PSD so we don't have to trade for him.

I'd give him $450-500K if we have to trade, and I'd only be willing to give up a combination of pick 34, Newton, Miller, Bartram, Bell, Johnson, Cheney & maybe Dunn.

And Bruce cos I don't rate him.

Unfortunatly what your willing to give up wont even come close to securing a deal. If you really want him and he dosen't go through to the psd were going to have to give up a quality player. Pick 18 and mclean might get it done

Unfortunatly what your willing to give up wont even come close to securing a deal. If you really want him and he dosen't go through to the psd were going to have to give up a quality player. Pick 18 and mclean might get it done

I know. And I wouldn't trade pick 18 and McLean for Burgoyne as he isn't worth it.

Not to us.

Also, I think you are naive. But you're not alone.

And I mention Bruce's contract to point out that we have to pay someone, and why not Bruce and Green and Burgoyne on big money?

Better than Morton on silly money now, and even sillier money when we are half decent and need cap room.

Oh great wise one, I for one am glad you are to here to point out our misgivings <_<

-you speak sarcasm yeah?

So why 'naive'?

Btw- Mates mums name is Lynn and i have an ex named Kym.. just off the top of my head (Ty.. another one)

you see, 'y' can replace the vowel 'i' in some instances.

-you speak condescending yeah?

Guest hangon007

Why do we HAVE to do anything ... Look its all going to come down to who he ultimately chooses ... I cant understand why people just dont get it.

If Burgoyne chooses us ... hello ... we are in the box seat ... we hold ALL the cards ... Port are shafted ... big, big, big time.

This has nothing to do with the Judd circus ... why Judd didn't select the team with first pick in the pre-season draft that year ... hence Blues where forced, forced to tradel!!!!!! Trust me they thought about letting him ride to the PSD ;) ;) But wisely didn't take the risk . :o

Ports only, only hope is the Hawks & Dons in try to secure SB's "true" value ... we aint their ticket to value and they know that. Now it appears all this "speculation" about money seems to have forced Hawks to come clean and say as I said yesterday before that article came out ... we have salary cap restrictions!

Now all this money talk is pure speculation ... I bet you any club that he ends up going too will make a statement saying as much ... ;)

Guys its all in the "games" the clubs play ... all part of life. No need to all get your knickers in a knot.

Why do we HAVE to do anything ... Look its all going to come down to who he ultimately chooses ... I cant understand why people just dont get it.

If Burgoyne chooses us ... hello ... we are in the box seat ... we hold ALL the cards ... Port are shafted ... big, big, big time.

This has nothing to do with the Judd circus ... why Judd didn't select the team with first pick in the pre-season draft that year ... hence Blues where forced, forced to tradel!!!!!! Trust me they thought about letting him ride to the PSD ;) ;) But wisely didn't take the risk . :o

Ports only, only hope is the Hawks & Dons in try to secure SB's "true" value ... we aint their ticket to value and they know that. Now it appears all this "speculation" about money seems to have forced Hawks to come clean and say as I said yesterday before that article came out ... we have salary cap restrictions!

Now all this money talk is pure speculation ... I bet you any club that he ends up going too will make a statement saying as much ... ;)

Guys its all in the "games" the clubs play ... all part of life. No need to all get your knickers in a knot.

Hello? :huh:

Knickers in a knot?? :lol:

Oh great wise one, I for one am glad you are to here to point out our misgivings <_<

-you speak sarcasm yeah?

So why 'naive'?

Btw- Mates mums name is Lynn and i have an ex named Kym.. just off the top of my head (Ty.. another one)

you see, 'y' can replace the vowel 'i' in some instances.

-you speak condescending yeah?

Walking on egg shells here...

You took the vowel thing as an condescending insult?!

It's naive to think that any player asking for more from the back-to-back wooden spooner than the Premiers, is 'dumb.'

It's naive to say we should not bother with Burgoyne and instead look at someone who wants to be at the club. Who are these people? The teenagers that are forced to come to us? The players that are already here?

Just not anyone who wants more than their perceived worth...

Goodbye Brock...

He's a good player, we can fit him in our cap, he would hasten our move to the top, and, if he comes to the club relatively cheaply, he won't get in the way of our rebuild.

As opposed to a Judd-deal that cost a very solid KPF (Kennedy), a future star midfielder (Masten), and whatever speculative 50/50 kid they got at Pick 20 (Notte, I think).

Our deal could be for nothing, or Pick 18 and a middle tier player.

Let's ask around and do our due diligence, but a player is out there that could dramatically improve our team. Let's stop being so precious and go after a talent.

The way I see it WE hold all the aces. I don't think we NEED Burgoyne, but if we can get him for nothing he'd be some nice icing on our rebuilt cake.

If we are his prefered option, we have to try and trade. I can't remember the details but I'm sure the league forced Carlton into mediation when they tried to rip WC off and made them give up more than they wanted to. I don't want to pay any more than PSD pick 1 for SB so let him nominate tha hawks or dons and wait and see if a deal can be done, if not we swoop.

As far as his salary goes, I couldn't give a toss if he nominated 2mill a year, he won't get it. We are the fall back option and that's how we should play it. Offer $500K a year and let the other teams fight it out to be prefered option. Then if the trade falls through we give him a revised final offer up to the max the club is prepared to pay and make it clear if he asks for more we won't draft him. He'd be risking a fair bit if he priced himself out of the market.

If SB comes to the dee's he comes on our terms, if not I won't lose any sleep over it. He's a good player not a star and like our list under ND he's a front runner who'll go missing when things aren't going well. I'd rate him on a par with Yze and would be disappointed if we paid too much for him. If there was a quality KPF or ruckman 25 or younger up for grabs it would be worth going hard, but an outside reciever, no thanks.

750k is far to much to pay any one Demon. I'd seriously doubt Davey or Green are on that kind of money, let alone any of the 22-23 year olds.

Shaun Burgoyne is a very good player, but not a star. Paying that kind of salary to him would add about $100,000 a head to our ten best player's expectations for their next contract. He'll also be 27 at the start of next season. Nothing about him fits with the premiership plan.

If I was making a tip, it'd be that Port will pay part of Burgoyne's salary for the first year or two (as we did with Woey, Johnstone) to facilitate the deal. Hawthorn might not find themsleves with free space anyway, but Essendon are losing Llyod, Lucas and Fletcher for next season or the year after, and also would believe they are in a better position to challenge with 26 year olds coming in.

My gut says Essendon - they have the salary cap space and appropriate trade material, particularly with Andrew Lovett leaving, and it fits with their situation as far as wanting to push further into finals in the next few years.