Robbo retires from Melbourne

beelzebub

I have been a Robbo critic but I do hope he finds another club next year. He has had a great career with Melbourne and has provided more highlights for the club, and me personally, than I care to mention. In the same way he was exasperating, he made going to the footy incredibly fun. I can't remember the number of times that I've seen the ball be bombed high in the air towards Robbo and felt a connection with every other Melbourne supporter in the stadium - a shared knowledge that Robbo was about to take a massive hanger - indicated by an anticipatory gasp as you could feel half the stadium move in their seats so as to get ready to leap in the air. Two seconds later Robbo would launch himself onto the shoulders of a well placed opponent, take the mark and the rest of the stadium would be surprised by this extraordinary feat of acrobatics. But not us, it was just another Robbo hanger.

Lucky that Jurrah arrived, otherwise it would have been like an addict giving up cold turkey. Robbo did a lot of things, but above all he made going to the footy an emotional experience.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am inconsolable.

This is so sad.

I couldn't bear watching Robbo running around for another club!! He'll always be our......ROBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

This is now a sad fact of modern football as even Robbo acknowledged today on the SEN interview. Robbo got his break as a rookie when we were rebuilding and the same situation is seeing his career with us end.

Teams that are rebuilding need to move ageing players on, whereas teams that have a shot at the flag can carry them for a year or two longer. The hope is that they can help win that elusive flag. He will not do that with us.

The other relevant point is that we need to free space on our list and even with Robbo, Wheats and Wheels going we need more spots and it is getting very hard to find the way to do it.

While I knew this was coming and while I agree that this is the right decision for the club, it is still an incredibly sad day :(

I wish him all the best with whatever he chooses to do and I will really miss watching him.

Despite on-field appearances, Robbo is an incredibly generous, down to earth guy who always has time for everyone he meets, be it Melbourne supporters or otherwise.

I'll definitely struggle to hold back the tears when he walks off the ground in Round 22 :(

I've already said my bit when it comes to Robbo throughout the year, so I won't be any more effusive about this very good player than I already have been.

Very happy to hear Bailey and the FD happy to get Robbo to another club if there is one out there. Not going to be easy for anyone if he plays us but if another year of footy is out there for him, he should seek it and we should be proud.

While I knew this was coming and while I agree that this is the right decision for the club, it is still an incredibly sad day :(

I wish him all the best with whatever he chooses to do and I will really miss watching him.

Despite on-field appearances, Robbo is an incredibly generous, down to earth guy who always has time for everyone he meets, be it Melbourne supporters or otherwise.

I'll definitely struggle to hold back the tears when he walks off the ground in Round 22 :(

WWhaa?

I got the lump in the throat as soon as i got the dees website up.. :rolleyes:

Cheers Robbo. You join Gazza, Jimma an Schwarza on the list of my personal favs. Good luck 4 the future

ROBBO - you will be missed. You have given us something to go to the football for, when the team has been down. You have always provided a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing day. All the best and thanks for some fantastic memories. I know your heart beats red & blue and no matter what happens you will always be a DEMON and welcome at the club with open arms.

200+ games, 400+ goals 1100 marks - a fantastic record.

Dunno if anyone else has said this one but this one is awesome, love the second grab while "laying" in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBaVCqQsCds

What a pearler Mark!

I hope someone has got the time to do a youtube compilation for us here as We may need a Robbo Fix from time to time.

Dunno if anyone else has said this one but this one is awesome, love the second grab while "laying" in the air.

I think that was his best grab... Would've won mark of the year in nearly any other year, but Moorcroft upstaged him in 01... To be honest I thought it was better that Moorcrofts, to propel yourself that far forward, I think it would be harder than to go backward like Moorcroft did...

Thanks Robbo, we'll miss you!

You're right Jaded, round 22 is going to be very tough!

There will be a Big Crowd i am Tipping for round 22

Robbo was Special, although reading a lot of threads on here for the past month you wouldn't know it.

Funny how those people today have gone "underground" & all silent.

Edited by why you little

Congrats Robbo

Can see a new home for you at either St. Kilda, Geelong, Bulldogs or Carlton, I'm sure one of them will pick you up.

First memory of Robbo was heading out to a Monday Night match at the G in 98' against the Swans, night Lockett kicked 3 to bring up his 100 for the year. This skinny kid pounced on a loose ball on our forward 50 line on a 45 degree angle late in the 3rd term and threw the ball onto his left towards goal (despite Lyon I think it was being 10 meters in the clear 30m out directly in front!), ball bounced about three times towards behind post before a wicked bounce sent it through the goals, and Robbo's celebration was almost something out of a soccer match. Put us about 20 points up and broke the Swans backs!

Good luck for the next few years Robbo, and lets hope you can kick 5 goals in your last 2 games to pass Lyon and go 3rd on Melbourne's all time leading goal kickers list.

I think that was his best grab... Would've won mark of the year in nearly any other year, but Moorcroft upstaged him in 01... To be honest I thought it was better that Moorcrofts, to propel yourself that far forward, I think it would be harder than to go backward like Moorcroft did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5Q2up0JQk

i think this is easy his best grap :wub: one of a kind ... i love this mark and its not really the typical type of hanger robbo would take..

i use to go to the football as a kid to watch

Farmer

Woey

Yze &

Robbo

now they are all done..

Hopefull jurrah will provide us years of highlights like the list above

thanks for the link, while i was there watched Demons Marks from the Past, great viewing with a can of johnnie walker , didnt see the big Ox though

Lucky that Jurrah arrived, otherwise it would have been like an addict giving up cold turkey. Robbo did a lot of things, but above all he made going to the footy an emotional experience.

As I was going to say!

Robbo is the personification of the MFC over the last 11 years, up and down like a yo-yo. Now we are so far down we can actually appreciate the ups of our club and this wonderful footballer. Sometimes he drove us crazy, but most of the time we loved seeing him fly.

Thankyou Robbo for putting so much time into this club and giving us so many fond memories.

Let's be honest, apart from the hope of seeing us win a flag, and playing finals, watching players like Robbo is what makes watching footy so damn enjoyable!

Will absolutely miss jumping up and screaming "Robbo" whenever he flies for a mark or takes a hanger!

Very sad to see him go..............thanks for the brilliant memories Robbo...........you've been a star, and we're going to miss you!

Good luck if you end up at another club................a footy career is too short, and you only get one crack at it, so hopefully you get the chance to finish on your terms, and maybe even get to play another final or two!

Happy to admit that I got a tear in my eye watching the footage of Robbo speaking to the boys on the Footy Show. Will be sad to see him go, but hopefully he will maintain some involvement with the club (even after he may finish at another club) so as he can rejoice in our success when it comes along.

just watched Robbo speak to his teammates courtesy 'The Footy Show' , the bloke is an absolute champion and told them where its at. spoke with ticker, and passion. spoke about playing on the G and for the jumper, im [censored] but if you didnt see it make sure you do. Robbo , loved watching you play , someone who knows computers better than me should put together a highlight reel in your honour

That was a fantastic speech and shows how much victory, not personal glory, meant to Robbo.

I'm going to miss that feeling of watching him preparing to take a mark and wondering how big and wonderful it's going to be, and the way you can just see the joy radiates off him whenever something good happens on the field.

He's going to be sorely missed not for just his ability to play, but for his ability to bring so much excitement and happiness to those around him.

P.S.- cried like a baby while watching that :P... this is going to be more emotional than Neita's lap of honour

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Wow. What an awesome speech Robbo made in front of the boys that just aired on the footy show. He absolutely loves this footy club! Really moving stuff Robbo, made me wanna cry!

Great speech wasn't it? I hope the kids really took it in and it makes them realise what the club can do for their careers and their lives in general. Good work Robbo. Good luck for whatever else you do in life.