Russell Robertson MUST be signed

melbournefc18

Or retain another player who is currently on the list? I think your question is academic as the media are repeatedly saying that Robbo has been told his services wont be required next year at MFC.

Its not merely Robbo or a player we can get at pick 50.

It is Robbo for one more year when he probably won't play much anyway

OR

A player at pick 50 for his entire career however long that may be

OR

A young player already on the MFC list who potentially could play for another 10 years if he gets the chance to show signs of fulfilling his potential

(See: Garland, Colin)

Edited by Enforcer25

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time Robertson was our 3rd tall? :o

EDIT: Maybe if you're ordering them by height, sure.

Oh, you misunderstand me, with what I'm trying to discribe.

I believe in a genuine 2 tall forwardline, (192cm, big bodied & above), eventually we should have this.

Even though Robbo may sometimes play the 2nd marking option in the past, I do not rate him as a genuine classic 2nd tall, he just takes the occaisional mark & goal. Thats why I've called him our past 3rd 'tall'.

I would now give that mantle to Jurrah/Bate.

Edited by dee-luded

You don't have to delist a young player to allow Robertson to continue, you only have to delist McDonald. Not saying that should happen, that's just the reality.

That actually was a fair answer, but I'd rather have junior and even still, if Robbo stayed for another year, I'd be spewing if he took a spot on the field in place of a young developing player.

you simply have to ask what is best for the club. what rel purpose in allowing Robo ..or a couple of others ( who've called it a day ) to keep going when its really for them. They arent adding to chances or ability of a team that will hopefully challenge in 3-5 years are they ? NO !! You need games in legs..and those legs are the kids.

Could someone please correct me if i'm wrong....but doesn't the veterans list only take the players salery out of the cap.

The player still needs to be included in the 46 players on the playing list.....

So wouldn't the real question be wether or not we decide to take an extra player in the ND? Providing we take our PSD pick aswell.

So if we kept Robbo we would have picks 1, 2, 18, 34 & PSD 1

If we got rid of Robbo we would have picks 1, 2, 18, 34, 50 & PSD 1

I think the real question is which has more value??? Robbo for 1 more year or pick 50?

I love Robbo and he has indeed been a fine servant of our club but when your time is up, well it's up and better to bow out gracefully than to be booted out on your butt.

As for the question on the value above, Robbo for one more year or pick 50 - can that also be Robbo for one more year or add Valenti to the senior list permanently?? I for one would take Valenti.

Sorry Robbo!!

No from me.

He has been a part of the club for so long and given us ups and downs but we have to move on I think. Player experience is really only an asset if it rubs off on younger players in a positive (almost mentor) way and I don't think Robbo has that trait unfortunately. He has kicked some goals this year and he does take a decent defender but we will always have our hands tied if we put our priorities on damage minimalisation rather than throwing ourselves in the deep end and developing our list. Bailey knows this and has been doing this, I don't see why he will change his tune with respect to Robbo. The one thing Robbo has traditionally had more so than the other forwards is charisma up forward and he does take the focus away a little bit from the others (Watts) which could aleviate some pressure on their shoulders but again I don't think that holds too much water. It will come down IMO to whether DB thinks Robbo can directly aid or hinder his cause and I'd be surprised to see him kept on. If we did hold on to him and used him sparingly it wouldn't be the end of the world though which is another thing to consider. It would be contradictory but it wouldn't be disastrous.

Edited by 1858

thanks robbo - a great servant of this club and should be sent out on the right note.

he will not be playing for the demons next year.

he has looked slow and the achilles injury would not have helped but he has been good for the club, as they have for him..

wish him the best of luck in the future and will always be a demon!!

No. Sick of hearing this crap about experience up forward, whats is experience given us this year? Get the kids in there and let then gain experience TOGETHER.

Agree. TBTH, the youth will get plenty of experience standing next to the likes of Jurrah next year in the forward 50m. He's a genius, a real gem. With Jurrah in the forward 50m next year and the excitement he brings, he'll create another 30 odd INSIDE 50's, because the rest of his teammates will want to see what he does with the pill!

Another thing, he gets up and chases. Which is well and truly part of the game now.

Edited by High Tower

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
thanks robbo - a great servant of this club and should be sent out on the right note.

he will not be playing for the demons next year.

he has looked slow and the achilles injury would not have helped but he has been good for the club, as they have for him..

wish him the best of luck in the future and will always be a demon!!

agreed, good post.

He could go on 1 more year IMO but if he goes on it should be McDonald's last year, and vice-versa. He could be handy down there with Jurrah, Bate, Sylvia, Petterd & Wonna next year, giving Watts another year to find his feet as a KPF in the VFL. However with Bruce being eligable to be one of our 2 vetran listed players next year we should only have 1 other player over 30, meaning one of Robbo or McDonald should make way at seasons end.

whilst I understand the sentiments of keeping Robbo , he wont be. Better to get a new bunch of forwards learning to play together. The more they do then logically the better they become.

Robbo has been a great servant of the MFC and I think he should bow out with the dignity of a favorite son, not clinging on to the skeleton of what was a fantastic career, Adam Yze showed us how that looks and I know what I'd prefer. Almost all of us can state that we've made the track to the G and enjoyed a 'ROBBO!!' moment, be it a potential mark or goal of the year, or even the anticipation of a big fly coming up. Even if he didn't grab it, you'd gasp at the leap and wonder what could have been. Thanks for every ROBBO!! moment you've given us, you'll long be a favorite of the MFC. It's only fitting that in your final career game at the G this year, you should be carried off the ground the same way you played on it.......on someone's shoulders. Cheers ROBBO!!

No. He did two good things yesterday, but he was also very much himself, flying for that ridiculous specky, which then caused the turn over and Freo ran it out. He's all about himself and we don't need any of that. Delist.

Yeah keep robbo! Gotta be careful - don't want another 2 month ban..

-Robbos still better than both Newton and Miller. They should go, Robbo should stay.

-We need a big, seasoned body down there to take the biggest defender and help control situations. Robbos already used to doing this...

If i walked up to a forward line that consisted of young watts, jurrah, wonna, maric, bate, garland- id just start smashing into people! To the point they'd 2nd guess every time they went near the ball..

as i say, IMO Id prefer Robbo down there to help, over Miller or Newts, to take the biggest/best defender

Also- 11 games= 23 gls, avg 5 marks, avg just under 10 possies - coming off injury and no pre-season!

btw- don't think big 'doc' martin has done enough or progressed enough yet to be that missing big forward.. yet

Edited by DemonDan...

An aspect of this many are simply missing..is sometimes its al labout the timing of opportunity. Here we can let go a player not required going forward with no real penalty other than he may opt to try his luck in the PSD for no dividend to us..so be it...No harm, no foull, he'll always be a favoured son when his career is over.

Those thinking of keeping Robbo for some reason or other next year.. consider this.. Fast forward three years..and try to look in retrospect and justify having kept him another year !! for what ?? whatdid it achieve... or rather what didnt it ??

For me it's worth just giving him a one year contract, he hasn't had a pre-season this year and returned from a horrific injury. Considering what he has done in the time he's been back it's a pretty good effort. Apart from LJ we don't have someone of quality forward who can both mark and kick the ball, Robbo will demand the second or even first defender which will mean the job of LJ's, Miller, Newton, or Watts will be that much easier.

I would be getting rid of Newton well before Robbo, but having said that, if the club decides not to retain him it will not be a decision i'm shattered by.

I fail to see any value going forward in Robbo remaining and most likely the same conclusion is held by the club hence its decision not to offer him another contract, so much of all of this is moot really. However. If Robbo is occupying a poscket then someone else isnt. That person whomever they be needs time in thepaddock as part of their maturing towards the goal of playing in the "window" team of 2013-16.

Makes no sense to retain someone for sentiment. We did it with Neeta and Im sure hed be the first to concede it was a mistake ( in hindsight )

I fail to see any value going forward in Robbo remaining and most likely the same conclusion is held by the club hence its decision not to offer him another contract, so much of all of this is moot really. However. If Robbo is occupying a poscket then someone else isnt. That person whomever they be needs time in thepaddock as part of their maturing towards the goal of playing in the "window" team of 2013-16.

Makes no sense to retain someone for sentiment. We did it with Neeta and Im sure hed be the first to concede it was a mistake ( in hindsight )

BB59. your logic is sound but if it is to be applied to Robbo it should also apply equally to others who are up for renewal. Junior is also out of contract and whilst he had a good game on Sunday he has lost a yard and less efffective this year. Can't be part of plans 2011 onwards. Maybe Captaincy is saving him from same consideration?

I agree with the previous sentiments that in pure terms Newton and Miller should go before Robbo as neither of them has shown anything this year and gone backwards without any injury excuses. Likely only to be saved by fact that they are contracted in 2010 and no currency with any other clubs.