• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Russell Robertson MUST be signed

melbournefc18

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is slightly more than perplexing.

If you're arguing against me, you're arguing with the statement that Robbo "goes missing when needed most against the really good defenders."

You do not have to consider his past 3 years when considering this "question," because the first 9 years of his career he was a talented forward who beat many quality defenders in a side that made 6 finals.

It is also not a "fact of where he is now," because a comment like that spans a career - not the final 3 seasons of a career (with 13 games lost in one of those seasons due to injury).

I'm not saying he should play on, I'm saying that it is ridiculous to state that he is only good against rubbish teams and "goes missing when needed most against the really good defenders."

His team mates playing around him and supplying the forward line in the past 3 years have not easy for him, BUT...TOO often in the last 3 years he goes to ground TOO easily, TOO often he does not do the TEAM thing, TOO often (never) chases

He was a talented forward with the right players around him, and right now he does not have that, so lets let this group of forwards work together and create a bond for cohesive forward line for years to come

Did anyone hear Cam Bruce being interviewed today and when asked about Robbo he hesitated and then said that it would be great for Robbo to get a full preseason and that his type of injury takes a long time to get back. I'm wondering if Cam is putting forward an argument that he should be given one more year.

I note you said that Cam hesitated before answering.

Did you expect Cam to talk about the end of Robbo's career ahead of any announcement by the Club and the player? That would be grossly unfair to Robbo and any other player in that situation. Cam is not that sort of bloke and his response was a perfect diplomatic media answer.

As I understand it, one of McDonald and Robbo must go, and Bruce can take their spot on the veterans list.

I'd much prefer to keep McDonald.

They both must go.

Robbo for the reasons discussed already in this thread and macca because the modern game has passed him by, a very loyal and outstanding servant of the MFC but his time is also up

Ok, lets put it like this:

At whose expense? Which player with the majority of their career ahead of them are you going to delist so that Robertson can have 1 more year during which the club will not be in contention..?

If anyone can give me a decent answer to that question, then i'll change my mind.

Still no answer, let alone an intelligent one...

This is getting old very quickly, and I doubt we'll end up anywhere substantial.

But I'm glad you can decide that my opinion is "not true" and "un-informed" and that you've widened your search to 4 years, rather than 3 (to include a year he kicked 42 goals as a backup forward).

73 goals in a season, including bags of 7,6,4 and 4 as the main forward at the pointy end of the season when Neitz was playing with a broken leg.

I repeat for the last time, my issue comes with the statement that he "goes missing when needed most against the really good defenders" especially considering the amount of times he has stood up and the amount of quality names he has beaten. Of course he won't beat them every time, that's why they're "big name players."

I don't understand why both must go?

You get two spots on the list for veterans don't you? Removing both with only Bruce stepping in would mean we'd be one short.

Sorry he hasn't in recent years. And he has played as a key forward. That just highlights how much you miss.

I said "even when given the role of a key forward, which he clearly isn't"... hard to comprehend is it? :rolleyes:

He is not a key forward by size or by nature, but has been forced to play as an undersized FF for many seasons, and in the last 3 years with woeful delivery, but has made the most of his opportunities, kicking over 400 career goals.

He is now clearly in the twilight of his career, and injury, age and the obvious issue of playing in a crap team means he is not performing the way he used to. Neither did Neita in his later years. That does not take away from his career as a whole, and for you to make a general statement about him not standing up against good opponents, or when needed, goes to show how much you miss with your long-term memory issues.

Just a small reminder then... Robbo has kicked a total of 138 points in finals since the start of his career. Not bad for someone who only played in 5 final series.

Are you joking?

You argue semantics with another poster about Robertson then agree that he should be delisted, hence I didn't see the point in your previous 6 posts, that's all.

I don't understand why both must go?

You get two spots on the list for veterans don't you? Removing both with only Bruce stepping in would mean we'd be one short.

clogging our list. yes i know they would be on the veterans list but they give us nothing going forward

So how do they clog our list then? Your argument is self defeating (if my understanding of the veteran's list is correct, that they would not take the spot of another player).

And Roost, I see why you may believe that. But I do not consider talking of a player's career, and skewing it because of the way it finished, as semantics. I think that's unfair for a player who has given our club a lot (especially when he came in off the rookie list). I have said many times already that I don't think he should continue, but that does not mean that he "often goes missing" etc.

I don't believe he should continue at the club because I think his time is well and truly up and McDonald offers far better leadership for the youth of the team.

Edited by 45hotgod16

I don't believe he should continue at the club because I think his time is well and truly up and McDonald offers far better leadership for the youth of the team.

Most sensible thing I've read on this thread.

He is not a key forward by size or by nature, but has been forced to play as an undersized FF for many seasons,

With Neitz, he has been in top 2 forwards that we have. Of course he has been a key forward. Its not a criteria ruled by size. And the very fact that you spout 400 career goals only emphasises that he has been a key forward. And I repeat I have acknowledge his achievements over his career frequently but whenever there is a discussion on Robbo's last few years, you cant take it and go into parrot like support off the topic.

Is Brad Johnson not a key forward for Bulldogs? Is Didak not a key forward for the Pies?

You can do it. You can get your mind around it.

This is getting old very quickly, and I doubt we'll end up anywhere substantial.

But I'm glad you can decide that my opinion is "not true" and "un-informed" and that you've widened your search to 4 years, rather than 3 (to include a year he kicked 42 goals as a backup forward).

So why did you bother?

In 2006 at the pointy end of the season, Robbo's game had fallen away significantly. He was great in 2005 but by 3/4 of the way through the season, Robbo performances had started to wane. He was lucky to play in the 2006 EF and performed poorly in it. I also thought Robbo did not work as hard for his goals in 2006 that he did in 2005. And some of the traits he has been criticised for on here were starting to appear back in 2006 (eg accountability, team orientation and defensive pressure).

Was it '06 he had that really bad knee injury and probably shouldn't have been playing? (Not that I'm using that as an excuse, I just want to be sure I'm not making it up in my mind)

I don't think you need somebody to be over 30 to be experienced; Moloney, Davey and Sylvia are more than enough experience up forward.

Yep, Green, Bruce for one more, it doesn't have to be all experienced up forward, but experienced leadership out on the park.

Robbo doesn't provide the sort of leadership the young kids need.

With Neitz, he has been in top 2 forwards that we have. Of course he has been a key forward. Its not a criteria ruled by size. And the very fact that you spout 400 career goals only emphasises that he has been a key forward. And I repeat I have acknowledge his achievements over his career frequently but whenever there is a discussion on Robbo's last few years, you cant take it and go into parrot like support off the topic.

Is Brad Johnson not a key forward for Bulldogs? Is Didak not a key forward for the Pies?

I guess to make it easier for you I should have said that he is not a traditional KP forward, given that you are either really confused or playing dumb.

Brad Johnson and Alan Didak are two very good players and I'm happy that you compare them to Robbo. All three are undersized and often find themselves pinned against much bigger, stronger opponents. It is an absolute credit to them that they have managed to play as key forwards.

In case you forgot though, Robbo started his career as a small goal sneak and it was through circumstances that he became our number one key forward, not because he was necessarily suited to that role.

I have acknowledged many times already that Robbo needs to retire, and that his last 3 years have not been his best, so I am not the issue in this thread. It's you, coming out with comments about Robbo not standing up against good opponents, or when required, that is the problem, because that statement is 100% false when you look at Robbo's career as a whole. But as I said, your long term memory issues mean that you will only see a player through a short-sighted lens. A shame really.

I think Liam Jurrah has taken that 3rd tall role from Robbo, Liam plays tall & is better with the spilt ball, having superb hands

When was the last time Robertson was our 3rd tall? :o

EDIT: Maybe if you're ordering them by height, sure.

I guess to make it easier for you I should have said that he is not a traditional KP forward, given that you are either really confused or playing dumb.

Brad Johnson and Alan Didak are two very good players and I'm happy that you compare them to Robbo. All three are undersized and often find themselves pinned against much bigger, stronger opponents. It is an absolute credit to them that they have managed to play as key forwards.

In case you forgot though, Robbo started his career as a small goal sneak and it was through circumstances that he became our number one key forward, not because he was necessarily suited to that role.

You said key forward. Hels a key forward. Its different to referring to a KPP. And your point of the KPP had no relevance to the issue at hand. And you're right to acknowledge Johnson and Didak. There is nothing unusual about their roles. Most teams have them. Nor is there anything special about Robbo. The way he played was actually an advantage because he played taller than he was and was a hard oppoent to cover.

Glad you admit he is a key forward after saying he isnt. :lol: And he has played the way he has played since he started. You really do have to floss the facts to try and achieve your outcomes.

Could someone please correct me if i'm wrong....but doesn't the veterans list only take the players salery out of the cap.

The player still needs to be included in the 46 players on the playing list.....

So wouldn't the real question be wether or not we decide to take an extra player in the ND? Providing we take our PSD pick aswell.

So if we kept Robbo we would have picks 1, 2, 18, 34 & PSD 1

If we got rid of Robbo we would have picks 1, 2, 18, 34, 50 & PSD 1

I think the real question is which has more value??? Robbo for 1 more year or pick 50?

Could someone please correct me if i'm wrong....but doesn't the veterans list only take the players salery out of the cap.

The player still needs to be included in the 46 players on the playing list.....

So wouldn't the real question be wether or not we decide to take an extra player in the ND? Providing we take our PSD pick aswell.

So if we kept Robbo we would have picks 1, 2, 18, 34 & PSD 1

If we got rid of Robbo we would have picks 1, 2, 18, 34, 50 & PSD 1

I think the real question is which has more value??? Robbo for 1 more year or pick 50?

Or retain another player who is currently on the list? I think your question is academic as the media are repeatedly saying that Robbo has been told his services wont be required next year at MFC.