A midfielder's game

Mondê

Look at WCE of 2005 and 2006: Kerr, Judd, Cousins, Selwood, Stenglein

Look at Geelong of 2007, 2008, and 2009: Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Selwood, Ling

The first three names of each respective midfield are out and out guns. First 4 in Geelong's case. The rest of the guts benefits from the work of the guns.

Both had terrible forwardlines. Their defence is as good as their midfield allows them to be. The less Inside 50's and the unrelenting pressure applied to opposition venturing inside 50 makes life easier for defenders. AFL is a midfielders game and until we assemble one that is half decent the rest of our team will look terrible. Fact.

Our midfielder's are serviceable but have no offensive threat (Sylvia the exception) and certainly lack accountability. Who would want to be a defender for the MFC with the ridiculous amount of I50's the opposition racks up, often with little or no pressure on the ball carrier. Who would want to be a forward for the MFC when passes are often delivered to their feet or over their head. Please Barry Prendergast get us some gun midfielders this draft it is all I want out of 2009. I am sick of being anchored at the bottom. Put Aaron Davey into the forward-line he is more damaging with 15 touches playing half forward then 30 off half back. That is all.

I think our forward line is worse than our midfield.

Definite disagree.

Our midfield is the worst in the comp by a considerable margin. It's probably the worst combination at Melbourne I can remember. The fact that teams are able to kill us off in one quarter bursts is testament to this.

A strong midfield signficantly decreases the need for a great forward line and significantly increases the pressure on the opposition defense.

Our most pressing concern is the midfield. By a long way. I think the draft concessions to the CG next year are bigger threat to Melbourne's stocks than most believe. This year, apart from one, there doesn't appear to be the midfield talent of recent years. Sure we'll end up with Scully, but we're going to need more.

When Matthew Bate is our leading goal kicker that is a good way to measure how good our forward line is.

??? :lol: ???

When Matthew Bate is our leading goal kicker that is a good way to measure how good our forward line is.

Its hard to kick goals when the ball is rarely inside 50m and when it is 50% of the time poorly delivered. I know we are last in inside 50s but would be keen know where we sit on score conversion once inside 50m? Our midfield is a much bigger issue than our forwardline. Once we fix that we can see what the forward deficiencies may be.

Definite disagree.

Our midfield is the worst in the comp by a considerable margin. It's probably the worst combination at Melbourne I can remember. The fact that teams are able to kill us off in one quarter bursts is testament to this.

A strong midfield signficantly decreases the need for a great forward line and significantly increases the pressure on the opposition defense.

Our most pressing concern is the midfield. By a long way. I think the draft concessions to the CG next year are bigger threat to Melbourne's stocks than most believe. This year, apart from one, there doesn't appear to be the midfield talent of recent years. Sure we'll end up with Scully, but we're going to need more.

If only we could draft some good young players like Morton, Grimes, Blease, Strauss & Bennell...

If only we could draft some good young players like Morton, Grimes, Blease, Strauss & Bennell...

Adding Tom Scully to that list along with Sylvia as well as 2 to 3 years ecperience I think we've got what we need already on the list or about to be on the list. Scully and KF for mine

Definite disagree.

Good post and I agree about the midfield.

I hope that another standout emerges in this years draft. We need to get Scully. But I hope te likes of Grimes, Blease and Bennell will step and compliment some real class that we get with Scully plus one other good pick. I think after this years draft that if we choose well then we should have a reasonable pool of young talent to push forward such that the GC17 issue will not affect us badly as team just starting to bottom again like Richmond and Freo.

I think our forward line is worse than our midfield................

Can't agree. Just casting my mind back to last Friday night, I reckon we missed perhaps 5 or 6 potential goals because of poor delivery into our forward line, or lack of awareness in the midfield about available options in the forward 50.

We have one or two players who might look like stars if they were dropped into any of the last ten premiership teams.

We have a few players who might be stars if they can either sustain their new form, regain some lost touch, or take the next step.

We have a horde of kids who have barely played yet and many of these were high draft picks or have already shown real promise, or both.

Whatever happens from here this season, I reckon we're in for at least one very high draft pick!

Find me five players out of that who might simultaneously be All-Australian, anywhere acros the ground, in 2012, and I'll believe in our future, with a grin, because I think come what may we will at least have good depth given the sheer volume of promising kids we've brought in.

And of course, by 2012 we'll be ready to bring Stewart Dew, the superstar, back out of retirement to make a third major contribution to a premiership win.

I'm not convinced that any of the above you mention, with the possible excepetion of Grimes, will be the panacea we need for our on-ball problems. Obviously Blease and Strauss are relative unknows at this stage but Morton and Bennell appear to be more icing than cake. Quality icing though, none of that cheap-powder stuff.

You can never have too much midfield talent anyway. And counting on players who are yet to show anything is fool's gold.

The midfield is the area that requires most attention.

I hope that another standout emerges in this years draft. We need to get Scully. But I hope te likes of Grimes, Blease and Bennell will step and compliment some real class that we get with Scully plus one other good pick. I think after this years draft that if we choose well then we should have a reasonable pool of young talent to push forward such that the GC17 issue will not affect us badly as team just starting to bottom again like Richmond and Freo.

Maybe, but it all depends on the length of the bottoming out process required. Ours is going to be (has been) a long one. I'm not sure we're good for many more than 4-5 wins next year either.

I too like the look of Grimes, Blease and Bennell, but we've said that before about countless other prospects. We're in dire need of a couple of genuine top liners and the best shot we have of those is having early picks.

I think (and hope) we're likley to be fielding an even younger, more inexperienced side next year, which while beneficial long term, will continue to be unimpressive next year. This will prolong the bottoming out.

Who knows, we may already have brought the players we need onto our list by this november (though the most likely case is we haven't), but whilst we're not in a position to threaten, I want access to decent picks. I'd be surprised if we weren't bottom three again next year and if thats the case we're going to be as hurt as any of the other lowly clubs next year.

Having said that, I'm glad we're not in Richmond's or Fremantle's position either.

Maybe, but it all depends on the length of the bottoming out process required. Ours is going to be (has been) a long one. I'm not sure we're good for many more than 4-5 wins next year either.

I too like the look of Grimes, Blease and Bennell, but we've said that before about countless other prospects. We're in dire need of a couple of genuine top liners and the best shot we have of those is having early picks.

I think (and hope) we're likley to be fielding an even younger, more inexperienced side next year, which while beneficial long term, will continue to be unimpressive next year. This will prolong the bottoming out.

Who knows, we may already have brought the players we need onto our list by this november (though the most likely case is we haven't), but whilst we're not in a position to threaten, I want access to decent picks. I'd be surprised if we weren't bottom three again next year and if thats the case we're going to be as hurt as any of the other lowly clubs next year.

Having said that, I'm glad we're not in Richmond's or Fremantle's position either.

We definitely need to develop the top liners. Hopefully 1 or 2 are already in our line up and we add 1 or 2 more.

I dont think the rebuliding will stop with this forthcoming draft. We will need to add 1 or 2 to the list from future drafts and may trade as we approach our window.

Its could be tough in 2010 ansd 2009 could be a glimmer of that given we are currently getting so little from our senior players. However, I think if we were bottom three with Freo and Richmond then they have more to worry about. Richmond are to retire Cousins and Richo after having got rid of Bowden, Johnson, Brown and Simmonds. Add to that O- Nicholls, McMahon, King, Pettifer, Schultz and Hughes then they are gasping for talent. Freo has two all Australians, Johnson, Hill, Palmer and little else. Hardly a talent pool there. I would also add NMelb and WCE to that list as well (I doubt they can resurrect after only two years down the bottom) I think the base pool of talent is not bad at MFC relative to the 4 clubs I mentioned. It will be interesting to see if GC17 trade any of their picks (ie Freo pedal a Pavlich to get picks). I dont think MFC has much that surplus to it to disturb a top 7 from Freo

I believe we average 32 clearances to the oppositions' 36.

So we are doing ok in that department, but the delivery of the mids, and the crippling lack of run - manifesting in the 3rd quarter - is why the midfield is the greatest concern - over and above our forward setup.

Everyone agrees that the midfield of mclean, moloney and Jones is not going to work. I think one of them should be traded. I think its jones in my book. They are all so similar tho he prob has the worst skills of the three and is younger so may draw a higher trade. Im sure a lot of teams would love to have him as a second tier midfielder. If we could get a 2nd rounder for him then we could use the two top picks on two elite midfielders and have another 2nd rounder to get another KP player.

The midfield is worse.

If we had a decent midfield the forwards would at least have a chance to be good. As it stands the delivery is so crap the forwards don't get enough opportunities to do anything.

There isn't a midfield in the competition worse than ours.

The midfield is worse.

If we had a decent midfield the forwards would at least have a chance to be good. As it stands the delivery is so crap the forwards don't get enough opportunities to do anything.

There isn't a midfield in the competition worse than ours.

Agree. As much as I hate saying it.

I believe we average 32 clearances to the oppositions' 36.

So we are doing ok in that department, but the delivery of the mids, and the crippling lack of run - manifesting in the 3rd quarter - is why the midfield is the greatest concern - over and above our forward setup.

If we want to win a flag, a good midfield is Not enough, It Has to be a Dominant midfield.

If we want to win a flag, a good midfield is Not enough, It Has to be a Dominant midfield.

A dominant Watts would be a short-cut, but I agree.

I don't know whether Moloney, Jones, and McLean can play in the same team (difficult to say now because they get no help in the middle), but we might, and I stress might, look at trading Jones.

But I doubt it.

A dominant Watts would be a short-cut, but I agree.

I don't know whether Moloney, Jones, and McLean can play in the same team (difficult to say now because they get no help in the middle), but we might, and I stress might, look at trading Jones.

But I doubt it.

I agree with you mate, ive said before that we would struggle to play all three. But who is the unluky one???