Bennell WOW!

Neita3000

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The talk of JB being dropped was stupid, he is been nearly our best performer in the team throughout the year, and looks like he will develop a McLeod type role throughout his long career.

The kid is a find but I would think 'nearly' would require an expansive defintion for your statement to be correct.

Well said H, After the 1st 2 weeks he was lucky to hold his spot. Many times he had left his man to badly run under a ball, or turn it over. Jetta was a mile ahead after rd 2, but to his credit he has stuck by his guns and the last 3 weeks has been improving each time out and looks to be growing in confidence. Its great to have a really attacking player off half back and hope it continue

Luck had nothing to do with it but that isn't to say he was overly great in his first couple of games. The reason he was kept in the side was for the exact development we are seeing in him now. Bennell is obviously a quality prospect and Bailey was never going to drop him after 2 average games - you can't improve at AFL level if you aren't in the side. The same goes for Maric - he wasn't lucky to keep his spot after the Geelong game it was just common sense to give him another game. It's all about development. All this conjecture about this kid not earning his spot or that kid not earning his spot after they have been at the club for 5 minutes is rediculous - this notion of luck is irrelevant.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

The thing that most impressed me was how clean he was with his hands (and there was a lot of other stuff to like). You can't teach things like that.

Luck had nothing to do with it but that isn't to say he was overly great in his first couple of games. The reason he was kept in the side was for the exact development we are seeing in him now. Bennell is obviously a quality prospect and Bailey was never going to drop him after 2 average games - you can't improve at AFL level if you aren't in the side. The same goes for Maric - he wasn't lucky to keep his spot after the Geelong game it was just common sense to give him another game. It's all about development. All this conjecture about this kid not earning his spot or that kid not earning his spot after they have been at the club for 5 minutes is rediculous - this notion of luck is irrelevant.

Spot-on 1858.

Spot-on 1858.

Isn't this why we are all basically going to the football this year. Not only to watch how the team is progressing but the individual development of certain players ie Bennell, Morton, Jetta, Meesen (until injured) Maric, Martin, Cheney and Grimes (apologies if I have left someone out). Seeing the team play their hearts out last Sunday and to see the devastation and exhaustion on their faces tells me we are really going places and will be a force in the near future. We lost our backline and had two to change and we still didn't give up. Last year, well we all know what would have happened. It is fantastic to see how Bennell is playing now compared to his first game. Who gets the credit for this. Obviously Bailey should be applauded for his management of the team. I also heard yesterday that Brighton Grammer is extremely happy and applauds MFC for its handling of our Jack. Stick that in your collective pipe all those neersayers who want him in the team now.

Exactly right we need to continue to see young players improve, that is the reason we have 30K+ members because even knowing we are losing we see kids like Bennell playing and we are getting excited about the future. On Saturday we saw our first three picks form the 2007 draft Morton, Grimes and Maric all look like they can play. Add in Aussie thats 4 from that years drafting that look to have a future. We will see Watts, Strauss and Bail later this year, plus we will see more of Jetta and Bennell.

Bennell will have a flat spot and more than likely will need a run a Casey to freshen him up, but at the moment continues to improve and deserves to play

I thought it was time to send him to Casey after his average effort against Adelaide, but he was sublime on occasions yesterday.

Likewise and happy to be proven wrong, or at least hasty.

Showed some genuine pace on the weekend too.

he is been nearly our best performer in the team throughout the year,

No he hasn't. He's really only played 1 or 2 good games, and the rest have been average. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with his progress so far and his potential to become a future gun, but he can't be classified as 'nearly our best performer' yet.

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but he'd have to be one of the quickest players I've ever seen. Yes, it's a big call, but the first time I noticed his pace was at one stage during Round 1, when he broke through a pack against North, with a burst of speed.

I was very excited by his game the other day. He's going to be a beauty.

Clint Bartram? IIRC he played all 22 in his first season.

Hmmm. Yes, but under my original criteria I'm not sure Bartram qualifies... Yes he had a good season in his first year, but he never exhibited the raw pace and class that Bennell does. Bartram always looked like he had hard work and courage in spades, just needed some polish. Bennell doesn't seem to lack the polish. Not yet anyway.

Your men crushes are cursed!

If Grimesy gets injured again I'm hunting you down and killing you. :angry: :lol:

That's rich coming from you.

You didnt help Daniel Bell's career very much and please leave Stefan Martin alone.

That's rich coming from you.

You didnt help Daniel Bell's career very much and please leave Stefan Martin alone.

:wacko:

Unless you understand the context of that conversation, I suggest you don't take unnecessary shots at me.

And I really had no idea I had the ability to break someone's thumb without even being near them. Good to know :lol:

:wacko:

Unless you understand the context of that conversation, I suggest you don't take unnecessary shots at me.

Geez girl, you don't seem to be having a good week in the winning friends and influencing people part of the program ;):P !!!

Geez girl, you don't seem to be having a good week in the winning friends and influencing people part of the program ;):P !!!

Oh no, virtual world is kicking my arse... whatever shall I do?! :rolleyes::lol:

(perhaps it's karma for procrastinating on Demonland when I should be doing assignments....)

Guest Digga

Wow you need to get out of the house. The bit about winning friends bit is so sad.

Wow you need to get out of the house. The bit about winning friends bit is so sad.

Please, please, please shove your attitude, oh for gods sake.......nope forget it :rolleyes:

Guest Digga
Umm...QueenC is joking with Jaded.... :wacko:

QueenC was joking to an extent but wouldn't surprise me if QC's intent is to make friends on this. :lol: :lol: :lol: