Breretons behind the scenes view on creating a premiership team.

Bay Riffin

I was listening to Dermot Brereton recently and he mentioned something very interesting about the hawthorn list when Clarkson first came on board.

He stated they were looking to retain those players who were most willing to sacrifice their game for the Hawthorn football club. Not necessarily the best players.

That meant they probably didn't always retain what was perceived as the 'best' or most skillful players in the squad.

Now when you look at blokes like Sewell and Osborne in their midfield as an example you can see they won a premiership without too many Ablett types. This even has allowed them to play Hodge their most talented midfielder in their weakest area.

I thought it was interesting and will be interesting if Bailey has the same approach.

e.g if you had to cull some players and we will with more draft picks, would you rather keep a Bartram or a Sylvia? keep a Dunn or a Newton?

Ideally you want both great talent and 100% team committment but in the abscence of both (and all teams face this) which do you go for?

Interesting thought, I thought !!

Hello? The fact remains that Dermie is still struggling with English as a second language and the consequent thought processes.

All he's done in this instance is pinch someone else's idea/observation from Hawthorn and pass it off as his own.

He's a classic for this sort of tripe. He always look good after the fact Dermie.

So let's go with his 'plan'. Delist our best and most skillful players and retain a few triers because they play for the jumper.

Interesting thought I don't think.

Now when you look at blokes like Sewell and Osborne in their midfield as an example you can see they won a premiership without too many Ablett types. This even has allowed them to play Hodge their most talented midfielder in their weakest area.

Hawthorn wanted to trade Sewell, but luckily for them in hindsight Sewell wouldn't agree; it is funny how conceited the Hawks become because they won a premiership. It is this sort of arrogance that gives them no chance this year. Sort of reminds me of Essendon in 1993.

Hawthorn has had everything go right for them - good planning BUT a hell of a lot of good luck. Hodge is, IMO, not a midfielder - he plays loose man in defence. He hits blokes hard, mostly from behind, when they go for the ball. He is effective but also easily nullified. The fuss about him is disproportionate. Give me a midfielder who actually plays in the midfield any day.

Hawthorn would have traded sewell for ferguson. Fergeson refused.

Great planning that.

Hawthorn has had everything go right for them - good planning BUT a hell of a lot of good luck. Hodge is, IMO, not a midfielder - he plays loose man in defence. He hits blokes hard, mostly from behind, when they go for the ball. He is effective but also easily nullified. The fuss about him is disproportionate. Give me a midfielder who actually plays in the midfield any day.

Hawthorn would have traded sewell for ferguson. Fergeson refused.

Great planning that.

They certainly did. They draft well in 1999. They bottomed in 2001 and 2004 in years when there was quality for sides with high draft picks

I've also heard Brereton say that they only drafted kids who could kick, i reckon he forgets what he previously said.

There's a bloke who loves the sound of his own voice

He is an actual numbskull when it comes to tribunal incident assessment. Amazing for a bloke who fronted the tribunal so often.

very interesting thoughts.

Sewell was my example by the way, but i strongly believe that is what they have done.

of course it is a weigh up, and skill has to be dominant factor, but let's use our own Bartram as an example. He looks like a coaches favourite, like Godfrey was for Daniher.

How long do you persist with a guy whos skills are not a pass mark at AFL level? I personally would look to a Dunn as a 'coachable' type and who can at least kick the ball.

forget about Brereton the personality who does admittedly over-analyse everything, but lets concentrate on this approach for a minute.

I think it has huge merit, as so many teams have the flashy types who dont always deliver the basics. Look at Port tonight for instance.

Who would you keep at Melbourne who will bleed red and blue for us ? I look at our young talent and see big potential. some will be flashy but some will be more consistent.

Who do you think will be the future of our club, the heart and soul?

I offer Frawley and Grimes as potential players, both skilled and 100% committed to sacrifice their game.

I think it has huge merit, as so many teams have the flashy types who dont always deliver the basics. Look at Port tonight for instance.

The same flashy types that won Port a premiership.

There is no blueprint to winning a flag. As previously said, luck plays an enormous factor.

As for your concept of keeping players who bleed red and blue. pffft. It's a hackneyed term that holds no relevance.

The same flashy types that won Port a premiership.

There is no blueprint to winning a flag. As previously said, luck plays an enormous factor.

As for your concept of keeping players who bleed red and blue. pffft. It's a hackneyed term that holds no relevance.

Port won flag in 2004. Many of the harder nuts in that team that push them that additional step....Pickett, Guerra and Hardwick are gone. Tredrea, Cornes x 2, Lade are all in the twlight of their career. Its not the same team these days. And no Burgoyne brothers last night really hurt Port for class last night.

While there is no blueprint there are some common themes and characteristics that all Flag team share. Leigh Matthews reckons the quality of your list is 80%. And uncontrollable issues in football like injuries, tribunal outcomes etc all assist in the final outcome.

I absolutely agree that bleed red and blue is a hackneyed term that holds no relevance. Simon Godfrey bleed red and blue but I cringed when we had him in the side and on the ground.

Sewell....... sigh.. if only... Ferg you duffer you might still be playing if you had of agreed to the trade and we would have had a fantastic footballer on our hands. 20/20 is a great thing though...

I doubt it. I cant believe MFC held onto a player like Ferg who was never going to make it.

It says something about the Club that we could not encourage/ force Ferg into the trade.

This is the Brereton who was quietly removed from the Hawthorn Board when Kennett arrived......

While it is easy for people to suggest there is a "formula" for winning Premierships, I think it was Old55 who noted one day ( forgive me if I am misquoting..)

Would Hawthorn have won a Premiership if Richmond had selected Franklin and Roughead at the draft?

Agree with Fan here. People are harsh on Dermie based on little. He provides his take on football, like every other commentator out there, and if you actually listen to him and read his articles, he's not a complete buffoon like some here would make you think.

Everything went right for Hawthorn last year. This year, things aren't going right, and their senior players aren't stepping up. They've had Franklin, Roughead, Mitchell, Dew, Hodge for the majority (if not all) of the season so far, yet have managed just 1 win.

It is possible to draft both

"That meant they probably didn't always retain what was perceived as the 'best' or most skillful players in the squad"

I'd call players who can kick as skillful, wouldn't you? The op specifically said that Brereton claimed that they didn't go for the skilled players, whereas I've heard him say on a different occasion that they specifically targeted these types.

Sure a player can be both but you're missing the point.

I've also heard Brereton say that they only drafted kids who could kick, i reckon he forgets what he previously said.

There's a bloke who loves the sound of his own voice

Watching a bit of the Hawthorn-West Coast game today. I find it unbelievable as to how many left footers they have in the Hawks team: -

Hodge

Roughead

Franklin

Lewis

Rioli

Dew

Young

Birchall

Guerra

Moss

there are more.....

"That meant they probably didn't always retain what was perceived as the 'best' or most skillful players in the squad"

I'd call players who can kick as skillful, wouldn't you? The op specifically said that Brereton claimed that they didn't go for the skilled players, whereas I've heard him say on a different occasion that they specifically targeted these types.

Sure a player can be both but you're missing the point.

To me that suggests that some skilled players were cut, whilst others weren't.

He's basically just saying that they chose a Brad Sewell or Campbell Brown over a Ben Dixon or someone of his ilk.

Probably not dissimilar to Melbourne trading Johnstone to Brisbane and not Brad Green

To me that suggests that some skilled players were cut, whilst others weren't.

He's basically just saying that they chose a Brad Sewell or Campbell Brown over a Ben Dixon or someone of his ilk.

Probably not dissimilar to Melbourne trading Johnstone to Brisbane and not Brad Green

Well almost, I would say trading the unnaccountable softer Johnstone for pick 14 and using it on a young leader in Jack Grimes would be the Hawthorn approach.

That type of recruiting makes sense.