Scott West joins MFC coaching panel

Demon3

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of interest: does anyone see this as just more expenses out of the football department that we cant afford atm

Without a statement of what this is costing us there is no way we can know if this is just more expenses out of the football department that we cant afford ?

to be competitive in the future we must invest in the football department regardless of the short term cost. Midfield is the core of the business and I see this as important as the snr coach role. Time will tell if it is the right appointment but at this stage as melbourne supporters we could not be more lucky in my eyes!

out of interest: does anyone see this as just more expenses out of the football department that we cant afford atm

I understand what you're saying, but the club can't sacrifice development for the sake of cost-cutting. Its other areas they have to look at saving money in.

If you start cutting the football department, you end up not developing players and then the club remains down the bottom, attracts less and less players, supporters and sponsors and simply dies off.

This is a great appointment and just what we need to put a little more positive feeling back into the club.

I just hope we can keep him beyond a 1 year tenure.

Whoever pulled this off neeeds to be conrgratulated.

Bailey perhaps.

hopefully west will teach both moloney and jones the art of the quick handball. it could really take jones' game to another level, because atm he is always looking to personally carry the ball out of the contest. it would also allow moloney to play inside to greater effect, rather than just crash and bash and try and kick long.

Yes. Moloney's bash & crash and kicking long certainly needs an added dimension to his game. West could provide just that.

Nice to see our former champ and skipper G Lyon down at Casey today for the announcement!

Their is a nice feel about our club at the moment!

There is isnt there.!!!!! Its palpable. often we have relied on false dawns etc to get hopes up. A bit of us all jollying up each other to mask the gloom and impeding demise but right at this moment I feel soemthing quite tangible. A few positves are developing a different case of possible scenarios. Im not advocating that we will suddently burst onto the scene as giant killers but I thin kwith some real talent coming through and a few more to add , that and a settling in for the coach(s) ..new digs and a new breath into the backroom ..Things are startign to change.

Suddenly a champ of the game feels "excited" ( his word ) to get stuck in with these young guys. when was the last time an outsider got excited about us ??

Welcome aboard Westy :) I defintely rate you as a gun.Seems you think we might have a few in waiting too :)

West was a great player as we all know but what West is able to teach is what counts

His work ethic expectations alone will make everyone with maybe the exception of Brock McClean,s jaw to drop

Good choice Dean as i think this is a step in the right direction

Without a statement of what this is costing us there is no way we can know if this is just more expenses out of the football department that we cant afford ?

to be competitive in the future we must invest in the football department regardless of the short term cost. Midfield is the core of the business and I see this as important as the snr coach role. Time will tell if it is the right appointment but at this stage as melbourne supporters we could not be more lucky in my eyes!

Totally agree Monta.

Far be it from me to defend a player from Collingwood, however I consider your opinions on Buckley as a player to be just a little off the mark.

Deez Dayz is on the money. Buckley is the most over rated figjam I ever seen.

Welcome Scotty West. Please teach Nathan Jones a thing or 2.

hopefully west will teach both moloney and jones the art of the quick handball. it could really take jones' game to another level, because atm he is always looking to personally carry the ball out of the contest. it would also allow moloney to play inside to greater effect, rather than just crash and bash and try and kick long.

This was who initially sprung to my mind as well. It's one thing to teach a player how to win the ball, its another altogether to teach him what to do with it when he does. Jones has obviously got the first part down pat, but his decision making and skill execution is really holding him back from becoming a top senior player.

If there was ever a player who could benefit from some mentoring from Scott West, it would be Nathan Jones.

Good appointment Dees.

It's one thing to teach a player how to win the ball, its another altogether to teach him what to do with it when he does.

Not only that. It's one thing to be able to win the ball and weave magic with it when you're a player, its another thing altogether to be able to impart that knowledge and teach others anything when you've retired.

Not only that. It's one thing to be able to win the ball and weave magic with it when you're a player, its another thing altogether to be able to impart that knowledge and teach others anything when you've retired.

To Scotty West... WELCOME TO MFC ....it might be a rough ride at times but you would be used to that at the Doggies.

I must be the only one who's underwhelmed by the appointment.

Nothing against Scotty West, who speaks really well about the game, but he's a part-time assistant coach, not the f#cking messiah.

Nobody can quantify the impact of an assistant coach, let alone one with no coaching background. Great players don't necessarily make great teachers.

Nothing against Scotty West, who speaks really well about the game, but he's a part-time assistant coach, not the f#cking messiah.

Nobody can quantify the impact of an assistant coach, let alone one with no coaching background. Great players don't necessarily make great teachers.

Ah, here we come with the negativity...

he does have a reputation as being a great teacher and if you read the article brad johnson & (i think) Rocket Eade say something to that effect.

I agree he's not a messiah, but its definitely another big step in the right direction.

Have you ever considered that having someone just out of the game that has played the position at the highest level not worthy ?

Or is your Anti Bailey thinking clouding your judgement STILL

Granted your assement of coaching and playing ability is correct but we need to start having some faith

Have you ever considered that having someone just out of the game that has played the position at the highest level not worthy ?

Or is your Anti Bailey thinking clouding your judgement STILL

Granted your assement of coaching and playing ability is correct but we need to start having some faith

I like Scott West because he's prepared to speak his mind. But it's only a part-time role. Does that mean that he's not in the coach's box during the game?

And yes, I believe that Bailey's game day coaching needs improvement.