• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

RIP IAN 'TIGER' RIDLEY

LeBron James

confirmed by the herald sun website... Mike Sheehan to write a tribute to his life, appearing in tomorrow's Herald Sun...

does anyone know if he was in ill health? was this completely unexpected... thoughts are with the family...

Ian had been in poor health for some time.

My sincerest condolences to his family on their sad loss.

He was one of the greatest Demons ever as a player, coach and President of the club. He was truly a lovely man to know and he bled red and blue.

This is a sad day for all Demons fans. RIP Ian.

Riddles was a gun- absolutely passionate about the MFC as player ,coach and administrator.

I trust that his memory will not be trnished by his association with the proposed merger - because he genuinely belived that it was in the best interests of the Dees to take over the Hawks

A man of courage and integrity. A really great Demon

My thoughts are with his family.

Ian had been in poor health for some time.

My sincerest condolences to his family on their sad loss.

He was one of the greatest Demons ever as a player, coach and President of the club. He was truly a lovely man to know and he bled red and blue.

This is a sad day for all Demons fans. RIP Ian.

Well put Redleg.

Condolences to the Ridley family.

I am very sad to hear this news.

Tiger was a great man. I remember him when I was a young fella, when he was coach in the early 70's.

He used to encourage supporters to come in to the rooms at half time. His addresses to the players were legendary. In his first game at the 'G, I think we beat South Melbourne by 126 points and went on to win 5 on the trot. Then came the game against Collingwood. His half time "backs to wall" speech was inspiring and still rings in my ears. "I HATE THIS COLLINGWOOD MOB, MORE THAN ANYTHING, I HATE 'EM". Sadly, we got flogged that day, but even as a young bloke, you knew that Tiger bled red and blue.

My sincere condolences to his family and the Melbourne Footy Club family.

Well put Redleg.

Condolences to the Ridley family.

Totally agree.

Tiger was as loyal a Demon as there has been in all facets and capacities in which he represented the MFC over 50plus years. On of our true legends.

Our condolences also to his family.

RIP Tiger.

a good man

a good demon

Ian Ridley

Guernsey No. 24

Heritage No. 755

1954 – 1961

130 games, 228 goals

Premierships 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960

MFC Leading Goal Kicker 1960

Assistant Secretary MFC 1965-1967

MFC Reserves Coach 1968-1970 (Premierships 1969, 1970)

MFC Senior Coach 1971-1973

MFC Director 1975-1985

MFC Vice President 1979-1985p

MFC President 1992-1996 (September)

MFC Vice President 1996-1997 (June)

MFC Life Member 1968

MFC Team of the Century – Emergency (2000)

MFC Hall of Fame Inductee (2001)

MFC Hall of Fame Legend (2006)

MFC Playing 'Hero' (2008)

V/AFL Director 1980-1984

Victorian Selector 1980-1986 (Chairman 1982-1986)

V/AFL Tribunal Member 1987-1992

V/AFL Life Member 1997

Jack Titus Recognition of Service (V/AFL – 1985)

Won the Best and Fairest with the Hamilton Imperials

Also adjudged Best in League by the Hamilton Spectator – Munro Medal

I am very sad to hear this news.

Tiger was a great man. I remember him when I was a young fella, when he was coach in the early 70's.

He used to encourage supporters to come in to the rooms at half time. His addresses to the players were legendary. In his first game at the 'G, I think we beat South Melbourne by 126 points and went on to win 5 on the trot. Then came the game against Collingwood. His half time "backs to wall" speech was inspiring and still rings in my ears. "I HATE THIS COLLINGWOOD MOB, MORE THAN ANYTHING, I HATE 'EM". Sadly, we got flogged that day, but even as a young bloke, you knew that Tiger bled red and blue.

My sincere condolences to his family and the Melbourne Footy Club family.

My memories of the Great "Tiger" are very similiar to yours. I met Tiger a few times when he coached, and he was a Top Bloke.

I Didn't hold a grudge against him back in '96, although i voted against his plan.

He was a True Demon with 5 flags to his name. Next years Resurgance in this club should be dedicated to his Honour and Courage.

"Do it for Tiger" He will be watching. R.I.P. To a Big Little man.

This is a very sad day

One of my prized possesions is an Ian Ridley football Card and its even more valuable to me now

My memories of Ian Ridley

Portland (my home town) wore richmond jumpers and played in the western district football league added another football team within the township of Hamiltion

Hamilton wore the Collingwood strip

Hamilton Imperials wore Footscay jumpers

the other teams were Casterton , Heywood , Coleraine

From my recollection one famous demon named Fred Fanning who kicked a still standing VFL/AFL record 18 goals against StKilda in his very last game (1947) left the Demons to play in Hamilton for more money at the age of 27

In those days Country footballers could earn much more than you could in the big smoke

In 1953 Ian Ridley and Portland player Clyde Laidlaw tied for the Munro Medal (the best and fairest medal of that league)

Fanning advised Norm Smith of these 2 players and asked him to come take a look which he did

Smith promptly recruited Both Ridley and Laidlaw and another Portland player in Stuart Spencer who went on to be named Rover in the MFC Team of the Century

Ridley was a very small man who just bored in with fearless abandon usually winning possesion

A true rover with great courage is how i remember Ian and the tag Tiger was an apt description of his playing style

In 1963/64 the league combined with 4 Mt Gambier sides along with Penola and Millicent to form the current Western Border Football League

RIP Ian

Ian was a close friend of mine. In fact we share three delightful grandchildren.

I know that Ian's family are reading the threads on this site at this particularly difficult time and they are very proud that everyone is remembering Ian for the great contributions he has made to our beloved football club.

On behalf of Ian's family I would like to thank you all for your kind words and best wishes.

Ian was a close friend of mine. In fact we share three delightful grandchildren.

I know that Ian's family are reading the threads on this site at this particularly difficult time and they are very proud that everyone is remembering Ian for the great contributions he has made to our beloved football club.

On behalf of Ian's family I would like to thank you all for your kind words and best wishes.

Very Sad News - RIP Tiger

One of the true Demon Greats.

He is my earliest Demon Coach memory from the 70's.

Frank Davis was his skipper I think during his coaching reign?

Also fondly remember his energy & passion when president, he wasn't a bad judge either,

remember him speaking very highly of a young 17 year old unknown kid named David Neitz.

Called him very early at a jumper presentation as a future Melbourne superstar.

A truly Great, Great Demon person.

Condolences to his family

I remember Tiger Ridley from when I was a kid. What a father is to a child is what Tiger seemed to the club. I sort of took him fore granted till I heard of his passing and now I feel a terrible loss. Our history is so much our identity and we owe so much of that to Tiger Ridley. He was such a great, larger-that-life man yet with such a friendly & sincere demeanour. There will be many many people out there shaken by a sense of loss. Even his playing day foes will mourn his passing. Deepest sympathies for his family.