Brad Green

Guest unstable punt

Guest unstable punt

Just heard on AW Gerard Healy saying that Green is not happy with whats being offered by club. They then talked about what we would get for him , Buckley said maybe low 1st pick or high 2nd pick, meaning anywhere from 14-25th pick, do we let him go? I would think they need to hang onto someone like Green because we need to have some guys with experience.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard on AW Gerard Healy saying that Green is not happy with whats being offered by club. They then talked about what we would get for him , Buckley said maybe low 1st pick or high 2nd pick, meaning anywhere from 14-25th pick, do we let him go? I would think they need to hang onto someone like Green because we need to have some guys with experience.

I will refrain from saying whats on my mind as I might get banned again.

But if we lose Brad Green it will be a tragedy.

Althpugh I wouodnt blame him considering he was overlooked for the leadership group behind a pack of donkeys. (Apologies Junior)

Green is our best player. Fact.

I would only accept a top 5 pick for him, but that wont happen.

DONT LET HIM GO.

I love Brad Green to death and would be sad to see him go. In saying that, I also think that he's one of the only guys we have that we could get a high draft pick for.

Put it this way, I'm certain that if we trade Brad Green for a high pick, we will win a premiership within the next 4 years.

I spoke about this just after teh Geelong game. ( I dont know where the post is )

What I spoke about was that, I thought there was a little bit of trouble between teh club and JW.

The AFL insisted that we cut our sallery cap, and around the same time, it was announced that BG hadnt signed yet, we was maybe waiting untilt the end of the year.

AGAIN, at the same time, DBcame out and said in a press conference that is anyone wants to leave the club for more money, then thats not the way teh new Demons are going to go forward, and he wuld HAPPILY show them the door.

My concern was that, was BG not signing due to the fat that we cant pay him what he wanted, and yes he had been overlook for the leadership group.

I said it then and ill say it again now........I thought then and think now, that we are in trouble with Greeny.

God help us if we loose him!@

Before the season I'd let him go, but now, no way. I wouldn't take anything but a pick in the 10-15 range, which we won't get it. Then again, it is a contract year, so he might be pulling his weight to get a bigger contract, get complacent next year and be back to his inconsistent best from next season onwards.

I love Brad Green to death and would be sad to see him go. In saying that, I also think that he's one of the only guys we have that we could get a high draft pick for.

Put it this way, I'm certain that if we trade Brad Green for a high pick, we will win a premiership within the next 4 years.

Are you serious?

The only way we would win a premiership within 4 years iand Brad was on the table, is if that there was a big name on the move, ether in PSD or just up for trade.

As valuable as BG is to the Dees, he wont fetch pick 2 or 3

Trade him for low first high second any day of the week. He'll be 32-33 and sitting on a beach when we're seriously good again, a good draft pick will be 22-23 and of far more value. Wake up people. We have almost as many holes as a golf course and we need to draft to fill them.

Are you serious?

The only way we would win a premiership within 4 years iand Brad was on the table, is if that there was a big name on the move, ether in PSD or just up for trade.

As valuable as BG is to the Dees, he wont fetch pick 2 or 3

Perhaps you're right. Actually, on thinking about it, I would not actively trade Green. I'd only talk to another club if Green wanted to move.

Back here again?

... joy...

You make a sound point though.

Green is one of our only players that has respect and is senior. All having a bunch of 22 year olds around is going to do is stunt their growth. Green may not be the best leader in the AFL, but he's the best leader (by example) in the side going round right now.

I'm surprised (pleasantly of course) that I'm saying it, but he's worth more to us over the next few (critical) years in the side than another top 5 pick who might be a Sylvia-style-NQR...

We have only a few guys who are old and experienced enough to know how to educate the young guys... Bruce, Whelan, Robbo, JMac... And we're losing Yze, Neitz, Holland maybe White... Trade Green, then they've got precious few guys to look to for advice who actually have respect from outside of MFC.

Y_M. I would be VERY nervous trading him even for a top-5 pick.

i want green to be captain next year

hes in the leadership group ATM and a good leader wud tough it out

i hope he stays...he is a good leader...if we got rid of him, more members would have a little [censored] and its just not worth it...he is a corageous loose man in defense...can be good in the midfield and is also a well trained forward when we need to fill holes

offer greeny the captaincy as part of the deal and keep him there

id rather we trade cameron bruce and daniel bell togethor for a draft pick

If you work on ranking our team and paying accordingly where would Brad fall. Of our older players he is the one most likely to be still around when we are looking at peaking this group of players say 4-5 years, he also has the most currency IMO at trade time. We traded Trav for pick 14 if pick 14-25 was on offer you would consider.

IMO Brad would rank top 3 for the MFC for current importance and future for the club, the other two are Davey and Mclean. We still have to pay 92.5% of our salary cap more than likely no White, Yze, Holland, Neitz and the promotion of Robbo and McDonald to veteran status will create 1-1.3million replace them with 6 18yo-21yo thats a big saving plus the salery cap goes up next year. If we don't pay Green 350-500K we would struggle to hit 92.5% and no other club would offer Brad anymore than that.

To trade Green would be a massive mistake, it's the trading of players like green that rip the fabric out of the club, yes we have to move on players to rebuild etc but it has to be the right sort of players at the end of their careers, Green is a great player for the mFC and will help build the club up, I think he has a lot of football left in him and can easily slot back to a FP to end his career.

We trade him and I reckon it will be a massive mistake.

i want green to be captain next year

hes in the leadership group ATM and a good leader wud tough it out

i hope he stays...he is a good leader...if we got rid of him, more members would have a little [censored] and its just not worth it...he is a corageous loose man in defense...can be good in the midfield and is also a well trained forward when we need to fill holes

offer greeny the captaincy as part of the deal and keep him there

id rather we trade cameron bruce and daniel bell togethor for a draft pick

I agree with everything you say, & I'd like to have Greeny @ the Dees next year, BUT, trading Bruce 'n' Belly wouldn't draw much of a high value pick, where as if we could get pick 14 or 15 from the Bullies or the Hawkers who are trying desperately to close the gap on the Cats quickly, we may be able to secure another Young KEY POSITION PLAYER as well as watts @ pick1. This would then free us up to recruit 2 quality mid/small forward types to add to our growing list of quality kids.

Emotions aside I think the smart play is to trade for pick 14 or 15 IF THEY'RE available. We would probably be competing against the Didaks & Kerr's & the trade period.

To trade Green would be a massive mistake, it's the trading of players like green that rip the fabric out of the club, yes we have to move on players to rebuild etc but it has to be the right sort of players at the end of their careers, Green is a great player for the mFC and will help build the club up, I think he has a lot of football left in him and can easily slot back to a FP to end his career.

We trade him and I reckon it will be a massive mistake.

Amen C84.......

I understand the argument about moving players on to re-build, but sometimes that can do more harm than good.

I wrote this a while ago on another thread but it seems appropriate here -

For starters the odds of us being properly compensated (and lets be serious, I can't see any club giving up a first round for Brad Green, and I am a fan of his) or getting what we think he is worth is slim to non-existent so, he is probably (read definitely) worth more to us than what we may get for him.

And I will put this out there as well, since we all seem so hell bent on trading our seniors away for speculative draft picks. Earlier in this thread it was said that because it is unlikely that Green will see a Premiership with us given where we are currently at we should therefore automatically cut our losses and trade.

While in theory that is all well and good, I will put a slightly different spin on it. For starters you can't get rid of all players over a certain age, that is just ridiculous and even more important than that is the fact that some of these players could well be part of laying a solid foundation for our next premiership team to build on.

To me Green, with how he has performed this year both in his improved consistency and skills as well as his leadership (which is something that has been near non-existent within the team for a very long time) would be an excellent mentor or roll model for the next breed of Melbourne footballer to learn from, and hopefully this will be part of the foundation of our next great side. The re-signing of MacDonald with his work rate and ethic would indicate a similar thinking.

These kids, and make no mistake there will be plenty of babies running around in Demon colours next year, will need some good solid leadership to help them to become what we hope that they can be, and for my money someone like Green (and MacDonald) therefore becomes invaluable to that cause given their attitudes.

Other senior players may not be quite as suitable to this kind of role, but to say that a player is "useless" to the cause simply because he is to maybe going to be too old to see our next flag is insane, simply because for the right player he could become an important stone as we build towards our ultimate goal.

Now, I hope that made sense :) !!!

Remember that this is not just about us but also Brad Green has a say in it, he may just want a shot at a flag in the next couple of years before he finishes his career. Surely he is due that consideration as well. Just like Stan Alves years back & Greg Wells.

Trade green, green has to much of the daniher culture still in grained in him. We need to stand up for more than a brad green, if brad was the right man he would have stepped up against the cats. Its a big call, but give the captaincy to Mclean he bleeds for the red and blue and will do whatever it takes to get us over the line, like the game against brisbane. We need to stand up against the years of 04-06 and stand up or else we will be where we were in 04-06.

I'd feel that losing Green would be a step backwards for us, young players are all good, they are the future, but they need to have someone to look up to as a role model. Why else did we re-sign Jmac to another contract? He won't be around for our next tilt at the cup, so if we were purely looking at the future it would make more sense to say, "thanks for the service but you're time's up" and then get another draft pick.

Green should be Captain, the only reason he wasn't in the leadership group in the first place was because he was injured for a lot of it and wasn't able to make an impression on the younger players for the vote. Thankfully he was welcomed back in without hesitation mid-year. Perhaps the captaincy could be used as a bargaining chip, but ultimately if he wants to stay, he will.

Y_M. I would be VERY nervous trading him even for a top-5 pick.

I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Note that I like Green. I simply don't think he'll be around for our next flag tilt, and would prefer to take a top-5 pick that will be peaking then (if he's any good).

Active thread in the trading/drafting board from Aug 14 here:

http://demonland.ugbox.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11470

We have obvioulsy had a problem lately of over paying players at our club. There is no way with our list that we should have been up around 100% of the salary cap. Now we have been told it needs to drop, Green is probably the first one to feel the squeeze.

Is it possible that Green is aware of certain contracts some of our current and soon to be retired players are on, and is feeling like, at his age, it is his turn to cash in on a similar contract? It definitely puts DB's commemts from a couple of weeks ago in perspective if this is the case.

I would be VERY nervous trading him even for a top-5 pick.

Are you serious?

I would trade 80% of our list for a top-5 pick. In what is going to be the last draft for a while where we can get early picks, I would sign that deal in a second. Unfortunately, nobody will give us a top-5 pick... not even for Davey or McLean, not a chance.

It would be irresponsible of us to get to a situation where Green can walk for nothing, but I doubt it would get to that point. However, I do NOT want the club to make the same mistake it has made in the past, letting players dictate the terms and end up with long-term contracts for players who are virtually useless. So while Green is a very good player and leader, and has 3 or 4 good seasons in him yet, if he isn't happy with what we are willing to give him, we'll find a suitable trade and off he goes.

We have to think long-term aswell. With salary cap reductions and a list that's likely to mature together, we have to make room for future contract negotiations or we leave ourselves open to losing seriously good players.

We have obvioulsy had a problem lately of over paying players at our club. There is no way with our list that we should have been up around 100% of the salary cap.

It's been thrown around that 300k, or ~3-4% was injury payments. Something to consider. Back ended contracts don't help either.

If he is out of contract and cant renew his terms with MFC, then he could go for nothing in the PSD.

Shudder.