Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who is your pick to step up over the next month?

Wiseblood

We've had a rough 7 days as Melbourne fans since the big win over the Eagles.  Oliver has been brandished a 'diver', Bugg has embarrassed himself, we've had injuries galore and a pretty bad defeat to the Swans.  Our bubble has certainly been burst a little after all the love we've been given in the media and it's easy to let it get to us and take something away from the ripping month of footy we have had prior to this weekend.

So, looking for a little positivity going into our danger game against Carlton, I thought we could look at someone we think can step up for us over the next few games to fill the holes we've got across the ground.  It could be someone currently in the side, or someone down at Casey who might rise to the occasion and cement a spot in the side. 

For me, and I'm sticking my neck out a little here as I have no real reason to believe it will happen, it will be Dean Kent.  He's had a shocking year to date and he well and truly knows what is expected of him to keep a spot in the side.  With others like Petracca, ANB and even Harmes potentially getting more midfield time with the injuries to Viney, Jones and possibly Tyson, there are spots across the half forward line that he can fill for us.  He has the experience, the pass and (sometimes) a deadly left foot, so I'm hoping he can the one to step up and help us win a few games across the next few weeks.

So, over to you guys.  Who is your choice?

• Like 6

Just now, beelzebub said:

Goodwin 

He certainly has the runs on the board from the no rucks era.

Will be interesting to see what he does this week with selection (assuming JKH/Kennedy/Kent are eligible) and positioning (I doubt we'll see Hunt in the forward line again, for example).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

We've had a rough 7 days as Melbourne fans since the big win over the Eagles.  Oliver has been brandished a 'diver', Bugg has embarrassed himself, we've had injuries galore and a pretty bad defeat to the Swans.  Our bubble has certainly been burst a little after all the love we've been given in the media and it's easy to let it get to us and take something away from the ripping month of footy we have had prior to this weekend.

So, looking for a little positivity going into our danger game against Carlton, I thought we could look at someone we think can step up for us over the next few games to fill the holes we've got across the ground.  It could be someone currently in the side, or someone down at Casey who might rise to the occasion and cement a spot in the side. 

For me, and I'm sticking my neck out a little here as I have no real reason to believe it will happen, it will be Dean Kent.  He's had a shocking year to date and he well and truly knows what is expected of him to keep a spot in the side.  With others like Petracca, ANB and even Harmes potentially getting more midfield time with the injuries to Viney, Jones and possibly Tyson, there are spots across the half forward line that he can fill for us.  He has the experience, the pass and (sometimes) a deadly left foot, so I'm hoping he can the one to step up and help us win a few games across the next few weeks.

So, over to you guys.  Who is your choice?

I like the thinking on Kent. It's right there for him, and he'll be playing for a contract. JKH is another.

But I'll go with the same guy I've been saying for weeks. Apparently it's a "Kumbaya thing" whatever that means... Trengove. It'll be him and Olly doing the hard inside stuff. Beware the guy with nothing to lose.

I also see Lewis having to work harder too. Vince. But you said pick one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dappa Dan said:

I like the thinking on Kent. It's right there for him, and he'll be playing for a contract. JKH is another.

But I'll go with the same guy I've been saying for weeks. Apparently it's a "Kumbaya thing" whatever that means... Trengove. It'll be him and Olly doing the hard inside stuff. Beware the guy with nothing to lose.

I also see Lewis having to work harder too. Vince. But you said pick one.

You won't get banned for picking a few, Dappa, so feel free. :)

Edit - and I agree re: Vince and Lewis, as @titan_uranus also mentioned.  I can see them spending more time in the middle and we need their experience in a big way.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 1

The one who really needs to step up is Jordan Lewis...

I think he's been ok but the questions for me are.

1. Is he past it? Father time waits for no one... and there is no doubt Jordan has played his best football but can he rise to the occasion for another tilt.

2. For all the good words, is he still a Hawthorn player at heart...I'm not having a go at him here, he's been a good get but in the end it must be hard for a 4 time premiership player at another club to really step up. How invested is he really deep down in his sub conscious.

Why do I think he's the one to step up and why have I made the points above. Well when the Hawks were missing the big guns...Hodge and Mitchell then had Rougy go down, it was Lewis who stepped up and big time. He almost single handedly pulled them over the line. Some of the best individual games I've seen were from Lewis when the chips were down.

Can he do the same for us...points one and/or two above if correct say no.

Lets hope he can pull the finger out and have a good go at it.

It's time for Lewis to step up...

• Like 13

Just now, Wiseblood said:

You won't get banned for picking a few, Dappa, so feel free. :)

I do sometimes get banned. Only for taking on trolls though, who think we have no depth.

Like I've been saying since we got hot, I don't think the style we play is about balance as much as people say. We have guys who are good in and unders... and we have guys that are GREAT in and unders. Lose Jones? And miraculously Viney plays well enough for two of himself. Lose both? And we will need to replace both with like for like. Get the extractors in... Trengove is limited in roles he can play, which contributes to Goody's not wanting to select him. But as it stands now... What do we have to lose? Slot him in, give him the job on Cripps. Make him push him physically, and you'll see him win a lot of his own ball... and won't he relish every minute he gets in the red and blue. Won't leave anything in reserve. He has to be the one for me.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

The one who really needs to step up is Jordan Lewis...

I think he's been ok but the questions for me are.

1. Is he past it? Father time waits for no one... and there is no doubt Jordan has played his best football but can he rise to the occasion for another tilt.

2. For all the good words, is he still a Hawthorn player at heart...I'm not having a go at him here, he's been a good get but in the end it must be hard for a 4 time premiership player at another club to really step up. How invested is he really deep down in his sub conscious.

Why do I think he's the one to step up and why have I made the points above. Well when the Hawks were missing the big guns...Hodge and Mitchell then had Rougy go down, it was Lewis who stepped up and big time. He almost single handedly pulled them over the line. Some of the best individual games I've seen were from Lewis when the chips were down.

Can he do the same for us...points one and/or two above if correct say no.

Lets hope he can pull the finger out and have a good go at it.

It's time for Lewis to step up...

Cracking post.

Point 2... I'm like you I have sympathy for him, and I think he's handled it great in terms of what he's said. I think part of the reason he came to the demons is exactly that... He doesn't have to generate the hunger... there's 20 other guys more hungry than any other club. With more reason to be hungry given what they've had to play through.

I also reckon he's lost a lot of weight. As Sheahan says, players get heavy in their good years, and then to eke out a couple more, the drop weight so their joints don't suffer as much. I fear he won't go in and save the day as you say. He's a distributor now I reckon.

What odds he's captain on Sunday?

• Like 1

With our predicament in the midfield, as most have stated, Lewis and Vince should be thrown in there, as offensive weapons though rather than stoppers, so I'm handing the role to Harmes to have stints in the middle and run with some of the oppositions best.

He is strong, fairly pacey, loves the physical stuff and has the ability to run forward and attribute to the scoreboard.

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2

Looking through our available players for the next few weeks, the forwards and backs look manageable.

The players we need to stand up the veterans who weren't expected to play serious midfield time, such as Vince and Lewis.  These two coupled with Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Hannan are going to have to fill the roles of Jones, Viney, Salem and Tyson.  

Big ask.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Looking through our available players for the next few weeks, the forwards and backs look manageable.

The players we need to stand up the veterans who weren't expected to play serious midfield time, such as Vince and Lewis.  These two coupled with Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Hannan are going to have to fill the roles of Jones, Viney, Salem and Tyson.  

Big ask.

Very big ask, no doubt about it.  The hope is that some of these players also see this as a huge opportunity to push their claim for more game time.  JKH, Kent and Kennedy are three who have been on the outside looking in for most of the year and would be continuing to do so if not for these injuries.  They've been presented with a big chance that we all hope they take.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Interesting choice, 'bub.  I feel like he has stepped up big time for us already this year and it's up to some of the players to now respond in kind.

Some might want/ need to. Goodwin HAS to. It's rabbit out of the hat time now. Goody has done very well on debut ,as it were, but only GOODY can pull all the strings. He ( and his delegates ) need to somehow wring even more from a war weary and depleted side.

I sense the question sought a player, but no one player is going to make that difference ( imho ) . The synergy of a group is needed . That needs to lift..... cue..... Simon :unsure:

• Like 1

Would love someone like Maynard or JKH to come in and really make their mark. Both hard at it and developing their inside game and with Viney and Tyson out we really need it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Some might want/ need to. Goodwin HAS to. It's rabbit out of the hat time now. Goody has done very well on debut ,as it were, but only GOODY can pull all the strings. He ( and his delegates ) need to somehow wring even more from a war weary and depleted side.

I sense the question sought a player, but no one player is going to make that difference ( imho ) . The synergy of a group is needed . That needs to lift..... cue..... Simon :unsure:

Good call. Roosy said last week that Goody can do the game day stuff with his eyes closed. Now we'll see how good his man management/motivational skills are

• Like 2

Harmes.

He has dare and run and we are going to need to through the midfield without Jones and Viney.

Lewis and Vince are going to have to shoulder a lot but if we are looking for someone to show something over and above what they have before - I think it will be Harmes.

And Petracca is needed in the middle for a month... I think he will be shut down though - he would be so damaging. He will be worked over. I don't think he is ready to dominate in the middle for 75% of the game.

• Like 3

Who needs to step up: Jordan Lewis

Who I think will step up: Petracca 

We brought in Lewis for a reason and with our injuries he goes from a mentor to someone in charge on game day.

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

Lewis has been part of the problem for 3 weeks despite his ability to point.

Fumbling like a nervous rookie atm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

He certainly has the runs on the board from the no rucks era.

Will be interesting to see what he does this week with selection (assuming JKH/Kennedy/Kent are eligible) and positioning (I doubt we'll see Hunt in the forward line again, for example).

Strangely im more comfortable with Goody there than Roosy. That's not to slight the great man but Paul seemed in cement shoes game day. I will however hope Goody channels Roos for his inspiration in selections, positioning and words of wisdom.

I note the various players in posters' minds. I reckon we need ALL of them to lift. Yep, Lewis because ne needs to/should. Petracca ... because he can, Vince because hes been there before. Some raw talent needs to seize the day(s) .

Max needs to find MAX !!

And someone needs to jump from the woodwork.

All of this...and more

Again....all starts with...Simon says.

• Like 2

Corey Maynard.

Could go from category B rookie to important player for us in the blink of an eye.

We rolled the dice with Mitch White, it didn't pay off. Maynard is worth another roll. There is something about him, he just looks like he has the goods.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adzman said:

Corey Maynard.

Could go from category B rookie to important player for us in the blink of an eye.

We rolled the dice with Mitch White, it didn't pay off. Maynard is worth another roll. There is something about him, he just looks like he has the goods.

The one thing I like about Maynard is that he has a mature body that will handle the in and under stuff better than others.  It seems like he also has the fitness to run out a game as well.  

Is it a risk worth taking?  Possibly.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

Abstract, and not so much positional, but Viney and Jones have left a gaping hole in leadership and drive. So . . .

Oliver. The only one left capable to drive us to a win from the centre. A bit of an ask from a 28-game second-year mid who is already playing at a level well above expectations, but if he takes the responsibility on himself, as the primary midfield generator, I think he could emerge at another level - from young phenom to a leader and outright elite mid. Will need Vince and Lewis to provide old-stager support around the stoppages, and dare I say it, will need to use his burst strength and look get ball to boot more often. But I hope Macca is in his ear telling Clayton that he's the chosen one.

Otherwise, as to the multiple holes, If Joel Smith pushes his way back into the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him potentially fill a couple of them as another emerging swing-man.

• Like 1