Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Fondest Melbourne Demons memory

3 memories

1. As a kid going to the game in my footy jumper, dad and his mates, so proud and excited. We won most games. We were Hawthorn, and like Hawthorn we normally found a way to win the close ones. To know that we were the greatest, with the greatest coach, captain and team. We had the "culture" of success. To know and experience the hate and jealousy of other clubs and their supporters. Thinking this feeling would never end. We were born to rule until 1965.

2. Seeing the famous 64 GF on top of the old Northern Stand when 100,000 people held their collective breath when Gabbo and then Froggy kicked their goals. Seeing Demon fans celebrating and Magpie fans (women) crying. Having nightmares of Gabbo's run and dreaming that he won the game.

3. The thrill of the 1987 final series and the games against North and Sydney when we smashed them. When the Demon fans stood as one to clap Robbie off the ground in the last Q against North in order to rest him for the next week. I have never again experienced that love for a player as we experienced for Robbie that day.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, hemingway said:

3 memories

1. As a kid going to the game in my footy jumper, dad and his mates, so proud and excited. We won most games. We were Hawthorn, and like Hawthorn we normally found a way to win the close ones. To know that we were the greatest, with the greatest coach, captain and team. We had the "culture" of success. To know and experience the hate and jealousy of other clubs and their supporters. Thinking this feeling would never end. We were born to rule until 1965.

2. Seeing the famous 64 GF on top of the old Northern Stand when 100,000 people held their collective breath when Gabbo and then Froggy kicked their goals. Seeing Demon fans celebrating and Magpie fans (women) crying. Having nightmares of Gabbo's run and dreaming that he won the game.

3. The thrill of the 1987 final series and the games against North and Sydney when we smashed them. When the Demon fans stood as one to clap Robbie off the ground in the last Q against North in order to rest him for the next week. I have never again experienced that love for a player as we experienced for Robbie that day.

Hey I was there for that number 2 in that stand as well. A lot of ups and downs in that last quarter. Where to look....

Couple of the  earlier on games when I didn't really understand footy Bluey Adams speed and avoidance, just in awe, and Don Williams. How did he do that and so I studied and studied it......

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Hey I was there for that number 2 in that stand as well. A lot of ups and downs in that last quarter. Where to look....

Couple of the  earlier on games when I didn't really understand footy Bluey Adams speed and avoidance, just in awe, and Don Williams. How did he do that and so I studied and studied it......

Two of my favourites, Bluey the fastest man alive who could tear apart defences with his speed and long kicking and the dashing flamboyant Donny who could leap tall buildings, run like the wind without fear and drop kick 60 metres from half back. And have a smoke at 3/4 time. These were footballers to hold in awe. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ricky P said:

Wow! When did this happen and what did you talk about?

For what I am criticised for, hanging over the fence at training being a fanboy, also doing bits and pieces makes me a face to trust

So leant on fence with Jim watching training and discussing his career, the players we had at the time, his hopes for the club, etc etc

Also had the chance to chat to Brett Burton, Gary Lyon, Phil Krakoeur, Todd Viney and quite a few others at training

• Like 3

I went to school in Clifton Hill so a mate and I went to Vic Park to watch Melbourne and Collingwood .  1968 I think ,Tassie Johnson was full back.

We were in year 10 and we knew a lot of blokes there.

We ( ie me and my mate )got a hiding but because we had a lot of local mates they didn't give us a kicking - good day.;

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
clarity
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I went to school in Clifton Hill so a mate and I went to Vic Park to watch Melbourne and Collingwood .  1968 I think ,Tassie Johnson was full back.

We were in year 10 and we knew a lot of blokes there.

We got a hiding but because we had a lot of local mates they didn't give us a kicking - good day.;

I thought your fondest memory would've been watching the founding fathers scribe the laws of the game 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mo64 said:

Probably the biggest upset win by us in my memory. I seem to recall that we had a lot of key players out. Stinga had a blinder.

Our win against the Bombers after 190 in 1979 was the most memorable home and away match I attended. Robert Walters kicked 9 against 2 state reps in Kenny Fletcher and Garry Foulds. Went with a bunch of Essendon mates which made it more enjoyable.

I was at Walters brothers place for a BBQ that night

Family were bombers supporters

his old man was so happy and [censored] bombers were forgotten

As was Romsey Football clubs loss that day

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

For what I am criticised for, hanging over the fence at training being a fanboy, also doing bits and pieces makes me a face to trust

So leant on fence with Jim watching training and discussing his career, the players we had at the time, his hopes for the club, etc etc

Also had the chance to chat to Brett Burton, Gary Lyon, Phil Krakoeur, Todd Viney and quite a few others at training

Who had the biggest guns Saty? I bet it was Todd.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tessaract said:

Round 1 this year against GWS. My partner and our 5 children sitting behind the Stynes family.

When my 9 year old Daughter, who is a survivor of Leukaemia got out her Trumpet, after the match and played a couple of renditions of "the grand old flag" which she had only taken upon herself to learn 3 weeks earlier.  She wasn't busking but several supporters opened her case and started putting money in...I was the most surreal experience as she is not very good...yet on this occasion...so fluent...so proud...

• Like 5

Greatest memories ever hey?

1)  Comeback victory in the qualifying final against Carlton in 2000. I was walking on air for a week after that cos I just knew we were going to make the Granny. We didn't fear North in the slightest. I went to Uni. that week on top of the world. Nothing could bring my mood down.

2) Round 21 up until half time of the prelim in 1998. From the moment we beat the Swans on a Friday night, we were just a joy to watch. For the first time in years, people were starting to respect us (wouldn't last long). Tearing the Tiges a new one and then mauling both the Crows and Saints made me feel that the dark days of the end of the Balme era were over. 

3) Beating the Swans in 2010. A weird one as it was the definition of a false dawn. However, leaving the ground that day was magic. We felt like anything was possible. Who was to know what shenanigans were going on behind the scenes at that time that precipitated the events of 186?

4) Salem's goal after the siren to sink the Bombers. This day was special for me as it was a day where a friend of mine was going to move back to Japan and we said our goodbyes at the footy. Being the only native English speaker, it was up to me to explain the rules in Japanese. It showed for me that our game, given the right spectacle, can make anyone a fan. After a half of texting and sitting on their thumbs, all three of my companions got right into the game and were as stoked as me when we won. Great memories.

5) Last year at Geelong. An interesting one for me. I got in for free thanks to my brother who had a corporate box thanks to his work. Alas, there was a mix up and his boss ended up getting me general admission seats so I was to sit alone on a sh***y, cold Geelong day surrounded by Cat fans. No free booze and another hiding was all I had to look forward to. The fact we got up that day was bloody sensational and in some ways, wiped some of the bad memories of 186 away.

38 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Who had the biggest guns Saty? I bet it was Todd.

More importantly, who did they support in the EPL?

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
Misuse of definite article.

On 20 July 2016 at 11:57 AM, mo64 said:

1987 Elimination final v North. The roar of the crowd when we ran onto the field was spine-chilling. Seemed like 90% of the crowd were supporting us. And  a one-sided massacre was icing on the cake.

One of mine too, sitting in the Ainslie footy club  it was the first final I'd ever seen us play in and to win so comprehensively with Robbie was just beautiful, that mark by Sean Wight (my other demon hero) over Shaun Smith - Then to follow it up the next week with a similar performance against the Swans - it really did feel like a footy fairy tale was going to come true.

Live: Watching the Dees come back and win in the wet against Fremantle at Subi

TV: watching the dees come back against Freo – think it was the game that Wonna kicked a bag and did that big celebration

• Like 1

Those 2 Geelong wins down at Simmonds, in 2005 and 2015 which I was lucky to see live.

Both games we were given absolutely no chance to win.

In 2005 we were coming off a 7 game losing streak and finals were just about done. However we pulled off the miracle with Robbo kicking 7, including 3 in the last qtr. We had to endure a kick after the siren by the Cats but it just missed. That was the start of 3 exhilarating close wins (Dogs and Essendon) to slip into the finals.

We all remember how special last years win was.

Looking forward to our 2025 clash down there!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Why are you such a shameless self-promoter ?

It usually stems from an inferiority complex.

8 hours ago, ProDee said:

Why are you such a shameless self-promoter ?

It usually stems from an inferiority 

I was a asked a question, I answered and put it in context

A Liverpudlian who feels inferior, not in the DNA old chap

Why did you read my post , natural curiosity? Or some otheR issue such as envy as we are analysing

This is topic about favourite Dees moment, do we need to say somebody who picked a piece of mindless violence on the field has an issue?

Edited by Satyriconhome

Surprised and yet not surprised not many (if any) nominated Neeld's first win as a coach.

Round 10 2012 V's the 9-1 juiced up Bombers. We were probably $11 or $12 to win the game.

Won a scrappy game by 6 points and we all treated it like a premiership win as did the players. You'd think the players absolutely loved Neeld as they were giving him massive hugs and cuddles after the siren. Blokes like Magner, Mitch Clark, James Seller and Sam Blease were running amok that night. Ahh... 2012 sure were the glory days!

• Like 2

1. Robbie Flower saying to me in primary school to wear our Melbourne jumpers to school the next day in 1964, the week before the GF.

2. Being at said GF. (thanks mum)

3. Proudly telling my mother that a skinny kid with glasses in his first senior game would become a club champion. (Her reaction at the time was a highlight in itself ?)

4. My mother saying to me the only reason she endured the late 70s and 80s watching the Demons was to watch Robbie play. (she went every week for over 40 years, she is 90 now and still a member and watches on Foxtel ) 

5. 2000 elimination final come back against Carlton, my sister was worried I would have a heart attack.

6. Telling Robert Flower on the day he became the number one ticket holder, that no one deserved it more than him. (He took it over from RDB)

7. Having hope restored in that I can go to a game and we have a chance of winning.

Edited by Deevout
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Deevout said:

1. Robbie Flower saying to me in primary school to wear our Melbourne jumpers to school the next day in 1964, the week before the GF.

2. Being at said GF. (thanks mum)

3. Proudly telling my mother that a skinny kid with glasses in his first senior game would become a club champion. (Her reaction at the time was a highlight in itself ?)

4. My mother saying to me the only reason she endured the late 70s and 80s watching the Demons was to watch Robbie play. (she went every week for over 40 years, she is 90 now and still a member and watches on Foxtel ) 

5. 2000 elimination final come back against Carlton, my sister was worried I would have a heart attack.

6. Telling Robert Flower on the day he became the number one ticket holder, that no one deserved it more than him. (He took it over from RDB)

7. Having hope restored in that I can go to a game and we have a chance of     winning.

Wow. I had to re-read point 1 a few times - I was thinking "this person's got his wires crossed". What was Robbie like as a kid?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ricky P said:

Wow. I had to re-read point 1 a few times - I was thinking "this person's got his wires crossed". What was Robbie like as a kid?

He was always an extremely nice, humble person. Even in primary school you knew he would become a footballer. His skills even then we're amazing, jumping over packs, he was so quick and talented even when he was boy, I would always try to be at the other end during kick to kick as you had no chance of getting the ball otherwise.

We were Murrumbeena boys, just aquantances, not close. Amazingly when he  became the number one ticket holder, and I said what I said to him on the day, he remembered me and then made the chat about me, introducing me to Tom who I remembered from our Murrumbeena days. Robbie was a true champion on and off the field.

I was going to write about him when he passed, but found it to difficult at the time. It's still hard now because to me, he was part of the MFC's fabric. Melbourne his entire life,  and loyal always.

That he and Jimmy are not here to see our upward progression is so unfair. Oh well.....?

Edited by Deevout
Using an iPad at 60
  • Like 8