• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bassett and Bishop

Vipercrunch

Can anyone with a good memory for trades fill me in with the details of how and why these players left?

They wanted to leave?

We thought they were no good?

I can't help but think how things over the last 5-10 years may have been very different if they were both in the Red and Blue.

Bishop was shite....

And Bassett was a tool....

Surprisingly, both have not changed! :P

I thought they were both big losses.

So which talls have we had in the back line since they both left 10 years ago?

Lamb, Shanahan and Nicho.

Was Bassett ever on our senior list? I was under the impression he was on the supp list. I stand to be corrected there though.

Bishop was traded. I don't know the full story, but if I had to guess I would say it was because we didn't really rate him. He turned out to be an honest player at best. I really doubt he would've made any difference to our fortunes whatsoever.

Bassett and Bishop. They sound like a gay country singing duo.

Played a bit like that too.

That is pure gold!!!

Although I am pretty sure they would be called "Bassett in Bishop"

:rolleyes:

Well as a personal friend of matty bishop I can tell you the club wanted to trade him, so he went, simple, he was not wanted and thought he would try his luck at port which was not a bad move as he got a premiership out of it.

I'd rather them than fergurson or warnock on our list.

Bishop was an ordinary player who performed very well for the Dee's in a game at the MCG against Port Adelaide and they were apparently quite impressed by him.

He seemed to be going nowhere with us and accepted a transfer to Port (not sure what if anything we got from the deal)!

However, I think he was far better than one or two players who remained on our list and carved out careers for themselves on our backline.

I think Nathan Bassett's case was different. I remember he was playing in the Melbourne reserves and broke his pelvis.

He came back, played on the forward line and to my recollection played well in that position. I saw him a couple of times in the seconds when we played those matches on the old Punt Road (Richmond) ground (possibly in 1999 - not quite sure).

To me he looked good enough to be elevated to the seniors, but he wasn't, so he went back home to Adelaide.

Bishop went to Port, Eagleton went to the Bulldogs and we got Stephen Powell.

Seemed a pretty even deal until the end of 2002 when Powell up and left, amidst drawn out contract negotiations. However, that is a story well and truly covered on these boards in the years since!

From Wikipedia

Nathan Bassett (born December 7, 1976) is an Australian rules footballer for the Adelaide Football Club of the Australian Football League. Known as "Bruce" Bassett

Picked up as a rookie by Melbourne in 1997, Bassett was elevated to the senior list during the season but was unable to make his AFL debut for the Demons due to a chest injury. At the end of the season he was traded to Adelaide, and has since become one of the Crow's best defenders. He has played more than 150 games for Adelaide and topped up a great 2005 season by being named Best Team Man and coming runner up in the Club's Best and Fairest award.

In 2006 Bassett was named to the All-Australian Team, along with his teammates Andrew McLeod and Simon Goodwin.

Some of Bassett's nicknames include The Hound, Bruce and Fred Basset - after the comic strip which appears in many Australian newspapers.

Currently sits on 191 games played.

As I said earlier, I can't help but think things may have been different over the last 5-10 years.

Bishop played 150 games including a premiership..

Bishop went to Port, Eagleton went to the Bulldogs and we got Stephen Powell.

Seemed a pretty even deal until the end of 2002 when Powell up and left, amidst drawn out contract negotiations. However, that is a story well and truly covered on these boards in the years since!

Correct DW.

We got pick #42 for Bishop as part of that in 1999.

Bassett was on our rookie list at the start of 1997 and was elevated to the senior list that year but sustained a serious injury and was either traded or delisted. I do not recall him playing a game for us.

Its always the case that a player not living up to potential goes to a 2nd or 3rd club and something clicks and they develop themselves into a good footballer. It gives them the kick up the backside that they needed to make them realise they need to get on with it. It is not something against the MFC, just every club has the same phenomenon.

Even Trapper has played 2 good halves out of 8 for the Lions - up from his average with the Dees.

I was Bassett's player sponsor, and yes he did break his pelvis but the reaosn why he wanted to leave was that he was frustrated with playing in the reserves on grounds like Richmond's Punt Road oval. He felt that he was better than that and Adelaide had basically guaranteed him senior playing time, something which we didn't do.

I don't blame the club though because it showed that he didn't have the mental strength to win his spot, although I believe it was just an excuse to go back to his home state.

Pity, he's a very good player and we could have used him over the last decade.

"I was Bassett's player sponsor, and yes he did break his pelvis "

I'm pretty sure it was his sternum(breastbone) he broke.

I've always admired his courage and success at Adelaide against bigger opponents.

I remember thinking he wasn't a great loss when we let him go,because he didn't have the size or pace. How wrong I was!! If he hadn't sustained the injury, we would have seen more of him, and perhaps recognised his potential.

Similarly with Bishop, he "arrived" playing a blinder against Port,but wrecked his shoulder when slung to the ground ater half-time. He was out for ages and never really made it back. Had the injury not happened he might have had a long and successful career with us.

Similarly with Bishop, he "arrived" playing a blinder against Port,but wrecked his shoulder when slung to the ground ater half-time. He was out for ages and never really made it back. Had the injury not happened he might have had a long and successful career with us.

out of interest was that a shoulder or a broken forearm? for some reason i associate that injury with bishop.

"out of interest was that a shoulder or a broken forearm? for some reason i associate that injury with bishop."

Come to think of it, Deanox, I think you're right. He broke an arm(presumably fore-arm), and missed the rest of the season. Do you remember how well he was going that day? Really surprised our group. He never regained that form with us, though I was surprised we let him go.

I don't see how so many other posters are scathing about Bishop. He did really well at Port. What a rare commodity....6ft 5, and fast and agile. Probably a rare possible match-up for Buddy F.!

Similarly, posters don't seem to share my high opinion of Bassett. Not quite tall enough, but compensates with sheer guts. Sacrificial acts to rival our Jared Rivers!Perhaps there's a modicum of sour grapes!!!???

"out of interest was that a shoulder or a broken forearm? for some reason i associate that injury with bishop."

Come to think of it, Deanox, I think you're right. He broke an arm(presumably fore-arm), and missed the rest of the season. Do you remember how well he was going that day? Really surprised our group. He never regained that form with us, though I was surprised we let him go.

I don't see how so many other posters are scathing about Bishop. He did really well at Port. What a rare commodity....6ft 5, and fast and agile. Probably a rare possible match-up for Buddy F.!

Similarly, posters don't seem to share my high opinion of Bassett. Not quite tall enough, but compensates with sheer guts. Sacrificial acts to rival our Jared Rivers!Perhaps there's a modicum of sour grapes!!!???

Bish was running the ball out of the backline and tried to step around a Port ruckman but didn't quite make it. The tackle was fierce and he was taken to the ground and broke his arm. He had hit form for the first time with us and was going great guns but as you say he lost form after he came back and was traded. He was a frustrating player because he had all the skills but never seemed to be able to get it all together with us.