Cale Morton

lucifer

Lyon and Schwartz were both exciting when they came onto the scene.

Schwartz had promise from the start but was too wayward and erratic in performance to get any sense of his reliability of application in his first 2 years. Knowing more about his life probably explains.

IMO, both Healy and Lyon were consistently good from the start.

Garry Lyon commenced his career in 1986 and was quickly a revelation. I suppose that I have higher hopes for Morton. There's a touch of Robbie and Hird about young Cale. Please no knobbish posters now accusing me of undue pressure on the kid, or you will be dealt with severely :)

Healy started in 1979 and was a young star on the wing in his first year before playing predominantly forward over the next few. And if you never saw Healy play, it's silly to say "not sure about that". It's best to say nothing.

OK Lyon started in 1986. Thanks. Correct about Healy. He did start off the wing and blossomed after that. He was good from his first year onward.

I hope there's more than a touch of Hird and Flower there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps he could be the next player to bring people through the gates on his own.

Jeff Farmer dragged me along at his peak, as Jakovich did, so did Lyon in his best years, not to mention Flower, but Lord knows we need a marquis player. I'm already excited about seeing Morton develop. I've seen enough to know that I prefer him to Gibbs.

Let's hope CAC has landed a star in his farewell draft.

Morton is a beauty. I haven't been more excited about a kid since McLean came to the club. He reminds me of a young Bruce hopefully he doesn't flatten out like Bruce has. He is a natural and unlike many players at this club he always keeps his feet which you have to do in this day and age. He has shown more in 3 games than Sylvia has in his entire career. Sylvia is running out of time he is a poor decision maker and goes missing for far too long in games.

Guest Joeseph Gutnick
Morton is a beauty. I haven't been more excited about a kid since McLean came to the club. He reminds me of a young Bruce hopefully he doesn't flatten out like Bruce has. He is a natural and unlike many players at this club he always keeps his feet which you have to do in this day and age.

I am actually in love with him. I am confused, but yes I think I am in love. Cant wait to bed him!

Jeff Farmer dragged me along at his peak, as Jakovich did, so did Lyon in his best years, not to mention Flower, but Lord knows we need a marquis player. I'm already excited about seeing Morton develop. I've seen enough to know that I prefer him to Gibbs.

Let's hope CAC has landed a star in his farewell draft.

Is that Johnny Lord (No. 4, 1957 to 1965) and Peter Marquis (No 3, 1953 to 1958)? Sorry, but fond memories of the 50's and 60's came flooding back!

The most impressive thing about Cale's game is his ability to look like he has all the time in the world... some players just have it and very best build their career on it (ie Harvey).... That said it still early days and I have felt these things before about Brock, bruce, green etc.... Hopefully he gets good advice/training and can take his footy one step further! We have been crying out for a superstar for a while now!!!

Why is everyone ripping on Brock? What is he, 22? He's hardly 'failed to live up to his superstar billing' just yet. He had a pants game (and still got 20 touches) against the Dogs, but so what? His other 2 have been very good. Realistically, his peak is another 2-3 years away.

Why is everyone ripping on Brock? What is he, 22? He's hardly 'failed to live up to his superstar billing' just yet. He had a pants game (and still got 20 touches) against the Dogs, but so what? His other 2 have been very good. Realistically, his peak is another 2-3 years away.

Exactly, look at brock, look at jones, one is 22 or so, the other 20 and we expect them to be as good as Kerr, Black etc except they are all older and more experienced, also when they were younger they had a great midfield around them to take the pressure off them, those 2 take the best 2 tags every week, by the time they are 25-7 they will be great players and hopefully Morton will be the cherry on top.

This might sound a bit far-fetched, but bare with me...

In fashion, when you purchase your seasons' stock, there is generally a break-down of core, volume and highlight styles.

Your core styles generally make up the largest percentage of stock. They are your real value stock, the stuff you sell season to season, year to year, and the items which generate the highest dollar intake despite having a fairly low margin.

Your volume styles are the key, must-have items of the season which you buy in bulk because everyone wants a piece. The margin is higher, but the style is likely to go on sale at the end of the season because nobody wants it anymore.

The highlight styles are your really fashion-forward, key pieces that draw people into store. They are low margin pieces, but they make your business unique.

When you think about it, playing lists are quite similar.

65% of your players are your core players. They are not the best, but you need them structurally and they perform year after year (e.g.- McDonald)

30% of your players are volume players. They are good players who suit a certain playing style, but they go out of style quickly as the game changes and evolves. They are also not as reliable. They can have a great game one week, but they'll have a shocker the week later (e.g.- Davey).

5% of your players are highlight players. They pull the crowds in and they are just exceptionally unique players. They give you an edge over your competitors.

I would say that Morton has the potential to be a highlight player. He might not be the next James Hird, but he definitely has what it takes to draw the crowds to the game and give us a competitive edge.

Sorry if this is drawing a long-bow, but I find the comparison pretty accurate.

In the end it all comes down to having the right balance on your list. You can have 90% highlight players, but that will most likely send your business (club) broke. You can have 90% core players, but that will make you a pretty mediocre and predicable team.

At the moment I would say that we are at 70% core, 29% volume and 1% highlight.

1%, I was with you all the way till you said 1%. By the way, you were right 1% does sound a bit far fetched!

I've seen the first games of virtually every player since 1975, after I stopped playing. And there have been some beauties. Cale Morton has what only the best have had - genuine class and a good footy brain. As he fully adjusts to the pace of the game, he will develop further. Hopefully the coaching panel will iron out his kinks, and allow fis natural flair to reign (within appropriate limits). If he played with Essendon or Collingwood, he'd be headlined. He comes from a football family and knows what he has to do - and he wants to do the work. When he bulks up a bit, barring injury (think Warren Dean, Juice, etc), he will be an elite footballer. They way he moves remins me of Robbie and Barry Vagg.

Brock's a McLean, he'll come good. It'll be a curcuitous journey. He's a lovely tough kid and he will continue to grow and will then be harder to close down.

pretty sure he ran about 10metres and kicked it from 35m almost directly in front but ok.

He ran [censored] loads more than 10 metres and it was on a 45 degree angle at the City end. I was there.

Even if I over exaggarated, we've got nothing else positive to talk about at the moment.

Guest Joeseph Gutnick

In fashion, when you purchase your seasons' stock, there is generally a break-down of core, volume and highlight styles.

Your core styles generally make up the largest percentage of stock. They are your real value stock, the stuff you sell season to season, year to year, and the items which generate the highest dollar intake despite having a fairly low margin.

Your volume styles are the key, must-have items of the season which you buy in bulk because everyone wants a piece. The margin is higher, but the style is likely to go on sale at the end of the season because nobody wants it anymore.

The highlight styles are your really fashion-forward, key pieces that draw people into store. They are low margin pieces, but they make your business unique.

When you think about it, playing lists are quite similar.

65% of your players are your core players. They are not the best, but you need them structurally and they perform year after year (e.g.- McDonald)

30% of your players are volume players. They are good players who suit a certain playing style, but they go out of style quickly as the game changes and evolves. They are also not as reliable. They can have a great game one week, but they'll have a shocker the week later (e.g.- Davey).

5% of your players are highlight players. They pull the crowds in and they are just exceptionally unique players. They give you an edge over your competitors.

I would say that Morton has the potential to be a highlight player. He might not be the next James Hird, but he definitely has what it takes to draw the crowds to the game and give us a competitive edge.

Sorry if this is drawing a long-bow, but I find the comparison pretty accurate.

In the end it all comes down to having the right balance on your list. You can have 90% highlight players, but that will most likely send your business (club) broke. You can have 90% core players, but that will make you a pretty mediocre and predicable team.

That is ridiculous. Do you actualy watch the game or just the players?

That is ridiculous. Do you actualy watch the game or just the players?

Each to their own JG...to a carpenter everything looks like a nail!

Perhaps you could view Jaded's comments in your own personal context:

Elite Players are Colourless Diamonds - rare, hard to find, highly prized

Semi Elite are Gold - Valuable, sometimes hard to spot because when you first see them they are in the form of anode slime

So-so players are Copper - Industrial types who get the job done

Duds are Cubic Zirconium etc

Guest mclean5

Cale Morton could potentially be the answer for melbourne. His fight and determination, brilliant skills shows me that he could lead melbourne to a premiership in seasons to come. Captain material for future years and could become one of the greatest in the league. Once Bate, Jones, Morton, Newton are fully developed they can help brock take melbourne to the top.

Come on dees!

I think Cale will be one of the reasons we may see a few latecomers sign up 4 a membership this year. He truly has a little bit of Robbie about him and i don`t mean the size of his arms. Super impressed with his poise for a skinny kid and he already has sublime skills. I still feel we have a long n painful season ahead however watching this kid play gets me as excited as McLeod does for Bruce! SPECIAL! BTW young Wonie looks a likely type. Tough gig to debut against the team of the decade!