Brock Suspended from Leadership Group

tess

The right decision IMO..........sure, he was only speeding, and it happens to us all at some stage, but after some of his comments from an earlier article, he is talking the talk, but not walking the walk:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...7-19769,00.html

I think it's the right call from the leadership group........they have to stand for something, and this surely has to send a message to Brock, and the rest of the players too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

95% of guys aged between 20 and 25 would speed on a trip from bendigo. i'm not saying its right tho

Being a guy of specified age, and having recently been to Bendigo, I can confirm that this is indeed true. The secret was to come back the next morning, when the filth were enjoying a sleep in.

Oh, and speeding... well... I do it, I've been pinged for it... As far as I'm concerned unless he's actually lost his licence then this is an absolute beat-up. Along with death and taxes, speeding tickets are pretty much a fact of life.

The holier than thou attitude of some people is disgraceful.

Oh, and speeding... well... I do it, I've been pinged for it... As far as I'm concerned unless he's actually lost his licence then this is an absolute beat-up. Along with death and taxes, speeding tickets are pretty much a fact of life.

Even if he did lose his licence it's still a beatup I reckon.

He didn't do anything I haven't done before.

Even if he did lose his licence it's still a beatup I reckon.

He didn't do anything I haven't done before.

Fair call. Though I suppose there is a limit on how fast you can go before it does become idiocy. Even then, however, I doubt it warrants more than a slap on the wrist.

Steve Johnson was an idiot. He copped a slap on the wrist from the club and everybody moved on. Except the media, who had another field day. Wankers.

Melbourne needs to get some c53t in them like other clubs and say "who cares" that he was speeding he has been fined by the police and thats the end of it

Funny though Brock, Neita, Yze and one other maybe Bruce were seen having dinner at the blue room in Sth Melbourne.... Maybe the leadership club were having a chat to him

I am sick to death of hearing reports of misbehaviour from our so called "Next Captain".....

It's about time this boy was told a few home truths.....

Yes, he has been gifted with a great amount of skill.... But he is a senior member (albeit a young one) of a professional sporting body and he has certain responsibilities....

One good game in a final against St Kilda doesn't give him the right to think he is untouchable!

You will ALL jump on my arse here and say I am over-reacting and to give him a break...... but..... Screw that! How many breaks does he need!?!?!?!?!

I was booked for a lot of stupid [censored] when I was young.... Drinking, speeding, indecent exposure etc...etc... but the difference between me and the small brain of Brock, is that I learnt from my mistakes and didn't have as much riding on them!!

Check your head boy! And yes! You are still a BOY.... So far from proving yourself a man it aint funny!

It clearly wasn't a matter of going a few kms over the speed limit, because he lost his license as a result.

And yes while it does happen to a lot of people, that does not make it ok to speed. People lose their lives in road accidents every week because they speed, or because other drivers speed. It is a stupid and irresponsible thing to do, especially if the speed you are traveling at is completely excessive (which in Brock's case it must have been or he would still be allowed to drive).

If this was his first offense, I doubt the club would have booted him out of the leadership group. But better to get to him early, than let his stupid behaviour fester to the point where he does more than lose his license or his right to lead the club. He needs to learn and he needs to learn quickly before he completely blows his chance at being this club's captain.

Its possibly an aside...but I might suggest a bit of an English club thing here.. Buses !!

I would suggest that the Club travel as a team. They can meet whwere ever.. And a bus is laid on for th etrip up.. and back. All onus of 'road maners' is removed. Its a chance for a bit of pre game bonding.. They can click into team mode a bit earlier etc etc etc. It all goes to reiinforce the idea you are not alone.. you are part of a team, you will act as a team, you wil play aa a team.

I mean..you would do this if you were travelling inerstate...!!

silly things like this then wouldnt happen

"I was booked for a lot of stupid [censored] when I was young.... Drinking, speeding, indecent exposure etc...etc... but the difference between me and the small brain of Brock, is that I learnt from my mistakes and didn't have as much riding on them!! "

gee wizz I see a few incidents there, seemed like it took you a few goes to grow up.. you're right he is still a kid so lets relax and let him grow up for farks sake.

And as to the other incidents what were they? The burn out, fair enough silly ang along with the speeding has created a precedent they want to stop thus the suspension from leadership group. What other incidents? He did not get in to trouble from the club for whatever happened overseas so lets stop bring them up.

What nonsense it is, suspending Brock.

The rest of the old-guard leadership group excepting McDonald

amd maybe Robbo are part of the Melbourne Football

Club PROBLEM.

Let the years pass and finally things will change.

Frankly, I couldn't care if the club was full of ratbags so long as

they played winning football.

Presently, this leadership nonsense is more akin to a snotty private

school group.

And what about Carroll. He who takes no backward step.

You're in good company Brock.

Come to think of it there's an alternative to the present leadership.

Start with Brock and Carroll.

I am disappointed in chook for the fact that only a few weeks ago it was a burn out, before that some fights, whilst all these things people do IF he really wants to be the captain then these are the exact things he should not be doing. And all it means is that the chances are we will have some one else step up for the captaincy next year.

I'll wait to see what Brock delivers on the ground this year. Thats the true barometer of where he is at.

The annoying thing about this is some of the sanctimonious grandstanding in this thread.

However, his biggest crime is attending a Lionel Ritchie concert! Yyyyuuukkk!

I'll wait to see what Brock delivers on the ground this year. Thats the true barometer of where he is at.

The annoying thing about this is some of the sanctimonious grandstanding in this thread.

However, his biggest crime is attending a Lionel Ritchie concert! Yyyyuuukkk!

Horrified to hear Brocky attended a Lionel Ritchie concert.

RR's right about the true barometer...Chook is a natural onfield leader, although I do recommend that he be suspended from all "milk monitor" duties until further notice.

Its possibly an aside...but I might suggest a bit of an English club thing here.. Buses !!

I would suggest that the Club travel as a team. They can meet whwere ever.. And a bus is laid on for th etrip up.. and back. All onus of 'road maners' is removed. Its a chance for a bit of pre game bonding.. They can click into team mode a bit earlier etc etc etc. It all goes to reiinforce the idea you are not alone.. you are part of a team, you will act as a team, you wil play aa a team.

I mean..you would do this if you were travelling inerstate...!!

silly things like this then wouldnt happen

I was thinking the same thing bub. The purse strings must be really tight if we can't afford to hire a bus. Wonder if Brock and the boys got compensated for petrol money?

I think we have all sped on the road at times, and while I haven't got into too many bar fights while holidaying in Europe or been known for doing burn outs in my ute, these sorts of things can be expected from a bloke Brocks age.

In the end, as good a player as Brock is, and will be, he probably isn't AFL captain material. These days captains need to lead both on and off the field.

Would a bus not be uncomfortable for some of the taller players? The big coaches I would expect they would take (similar to the old school excursion buses) were not exactly made wiht an abundance of legroom (no problems for a shortie like me though)....

As for Brocks dramas, its time he pulled his head in, does he have a mentor of any sort? Do we still do that?

In the end, as good a player as Brock is, and will be, he probably isn't AFL captain material. These days captains need to lead both on and off the field.

How many 21 year old blokes are? I reckon it's ridiculous that we've demanded he be captain material already in the first place.

On the plus side he wasn't shot at after getting into a small altercation at a Kings Cross McDonalds a 4am :P !!!

A totally appropriate response from he Club .... and if Brock hears and responds appropriately to the 'message' that this should send to him, he will thank them for it sometime down the track.

It's all very well being young and free-spirited, but players, and particularly aspiring captains, need to show discipline both on and off the field, regardless of their age.

Hopefully for Brock and the MFC, the messages will start to sink in before he oversteps the mark once too often.

Bails said from the outset that players could be promoted to, or dropped off the leadership group during the season. It's an honour to be part of the leadership group at such a wonderful club, and Brock needs to demonstrate that he is worthy of such an appointment by keeping his name out of the newspapers for the wrong reasons. If he can do this over a sustained period, the likelihood is that he will one day captain our great club.

Go Dees!!

How many 21 year old blokes are? I reckon it's ridiculous that we've demanded he be captain material already in the first place.

I was under the impression that he wants to be amonsgt the leadership group and that he has a desire to be the next captain after Neitz.

I was under the impression that he wants to be amonsgt the leadership group and that he has a desire to be the next captain after Neitz.

But that doesn't explain why we as supporters have seem to come to expect him to be ready. He is still only 21.

But that doesn't explain why we as supporters have seem to come to expect him to be ready. He is still only 21.

I think Jarka's right here. He put his hand up so it's not unreasonable to expect that he will act like a captain both on and off the field.

Really, the only thing that has occurred here is that McLean has copped a whack to his pride and his ego. If he is captaincy material, he'll respond positively.

FWIW, because of the build up of minor things he's been involved in, my view is that the punishment is about right. Anything more would have been silly, and anything less would have sent the wrong message to the rest of the team.

I think Jarka's right here. He put his hand up so it's not unreasonable to expect that he will act like a captain both on and off the field.

Valid points...and if preg testing cattle back on the farm taught me anything...if you put your hand up then you've gotta expect some S$@&

Without knowing all the facts, it is difficult to pass judgement as to whether the club has done the right thing here or not.

How fast was he going?

What was the speed limit?

Without the facts, to pass judgement on this is hardly fair:

Scenario A:

Given the ridiculous margin for error our Speed Camera's currently have, he could have been pinged for doing 113km/h in a 110km/h zone. The subsequent 1 point penalty could have stripped him of his licence if he had already accumulated his full quota of penalties. Is this worth being dumped from the leadership group? I think not.

Scenario B:

He could have pulled a Steve Johnson and been doing 160km/h in a 60km/h zone resulting in instant disqualification of his licence. Is this worth being dumped from the leadership group? I think so.

That said, I suspect the club would not have reacted the way they have in the event of Scenario A - But until we know for sure, the PhilReadFury Jury is out.

I'm not happy it happened, but I'm thrilled the club took this action.

He keeps on getting in the media saying he'll pull his head in, but either he doesn't know what that means, or he's flat-out lying... Hopefully he'll see that given what he wants to do with the club, he has to make some sacrifices... And grow up.