Brock Suspended from Leadership Group

tess

Any word on a replacement for him within the leadership group?

I'm guessing it's one out/one in, and I would favour the return of Brad Green who I feel was a stunning omission in the first place. I believe he was next in line anyway from the original vote count.

He stood up more than most on-field last year consistently, has hardened up alot, and if he had any lessons to be learned from his omission. he's probably had it flagged and has taken the necessary steps already. He said himself he needed to speak up more and have confidence in his opinions and if that was the reason he missed, then perhaps now's the time to give him another go and prove he can..

Having said that, of all the others, Nathan Jones has done enough on the ground - just don't know what he's like off it. Daniel Bell appeals as the best of the rest.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who hasn't hit 125 on a good freeway on a lengthy trip ? I did it when overtaking driving to Merimbula over xmas. In fact I did it on the Mooraduc a few weeks ago.

Sseriously, the expectations of some people on young players are ridiculous.

He's my next Captain without hesitation, as I'm more interested in his training ethic and exploits on the field. Give me a hardnosed uncompromising midfielder over an off field all round good guy. I'm about winning games of footy.

Footy ? Remember what this is all about ? It's what he does in the field of battle that interests me. He's level headed enough that a couple of minor transgressions won't hinder his claims.

And yes, speeding is vewy vewy naughty ! Ok.

Who hasn't hit 125 on a good freeway on a lengthy trip ? I did it when overtaking driving to Merimbula over xmas. In fact I did it on the Mooraduc a few weeks ago.

Anyone, footballer or not, who hits 125 in a 100 zone is an idiot, over-taking or not. You seem proud that you have done it, that says a lot about you.

Yes I dont believe Hannabal should be allowed to be a Master demon. Lets Vote!

This thread is boring.

I can't believe some people think this is about how fast he was going.

The point of this is that as footballers what they do is for public consumption. I don't like that that's the case, but that's how it is. Discipline on the field and off the field go hand in hand. That doesn't mean a player has to be a saint on and off the field, but a leader has to lead at all times, and set an example for his fellow teammates.

The issue is not the speeding fine, but the combination of incidents over just a few months period, in particular after his own comments about pulling his head in and wanting to Captain the footy club in the future.

That's why he should be suspended from the leadership team and why I would suspend him from the footy team for a couple of weeks.

It reminds me of a story from Leigh Matthews - when he first arrived in Brisbane one day in their first pre-season Jason Akermanis turned up to a run under the weather. Leigh got wind of it and wanted to kick him out of the club on the spot. Ultimately the leadership group talked him out of it, but the standard was set - nothing more than 100% dedication was to be tolerated at the Lions under Matthews.

But that doesn't explain why we as supporters have seem to come to expect him to be ready. He is still only 21.

I certainly don't expect him to be ready right now, however when you publicly make comments then you should be able to back them up in the appropriate way. All of his transgressions aren't hangable offences, in fact they're incredibly minor, but it shows he's still immature and he's bliase about the whole thing.

I personally think that this season will make him as a player, [hopefully] it will inspire him to lead by example.

Footy ? Remember what this is all about ? It's what he does in the field of battle that interests me. He's level headed enough that a couple of minor transgressions won't hinder his claims.

And yes, speeding is vewy vewy naughty ! Ok.

......... and if I were a potential sponsor of an AFL club, I would be looking to market my brand through a club whose personnel get mentioned in the media for all the RIGHT reasons ..... not a string of (albeit) 'minor' indescretions.

That's why he should be suspended from the leadership team and why I would suspend him from the footy team for a couple of weeks.

It reminds me of a story from Leigh Matthews - when he first arrived in Brisbane one day in their first pre-season Jason Akermanis turned up to a run under the weather. Leigh got wind of it and wanted to kick him out of the club on the spot. Ultimately the leadership group talked him out of it, but the standard was set - nothing more than 100% dedication was to be tolerated at the Lions under Matthews.

:huh: Steady on Hard's...I wouldnt suspend him from playing...big difference between between Chook speeding in a 100 kph zone and Aka turning up to training three sheets to the wind.

And as for speeding in Australia...quite happy for blanket 50 kph throughout suburban streets...but the 100 kph limit on an open freeway is an unfunny joke.

The brain switches off at such slow speeds, excess speed is a contributing factor to crashes, bad driving practices explains a hell of a lot more!

I spent 10 years in Europe and I can tell you I feel much safer with an alert driver going 140 kph then some dope plodding along at 100 whilst playing with their mobile phone / radio / cup-holder. :angry:

I think we are all missing the point here .

speeding is not the issue.

At the weekends family day, Dean Bailey made it very clear that players represent

the Melbourne football club 24 hours a day 7 days a week and should do so in a

manner he has laid out to the whole club.

Brock is not a role model, but if he thinks that he is above the rest of the playing group

then i think under Baileys rule he is a fool.

From reports I have heard he has lost his licence.this doesnt mean from this infringment

alone, it may be from a few infringments,hence he may be a bigger fool.

his new v8 ute HAS to go though, get the club to make a big deal about, get him to "sell" his ute, donating part to the TAC or something, especially with their newest ad campaign going on.

might be nice if he was driving the sponsors product anyway, less chance of doing burnouts and speeding in nice little volvo, hey brocky!

his new v8 ute HAS to go though, get the club to make a big deal about, get him to "sell" his ute, donating part to the TAC or something, especially with their newest ad campaign going on.

might be nice if he was driving the sponsors product anyway, less chance of doing burnouts and speeding in nice little volvo, hey brocky!

Club Sponsorship opportunity for Silver Top Taxi's ? B) :P

Anyone, footballer or not, who hits 125 in a 100 zone is an idiot, over-taking or not. You seem proud that you have done it, that says a lot about you.

In the right car, on the right freeway, responsibily driven (to you an oxymoron), 125 is nothing - except a speeding fine. The clowns doing 80 are a far far bigger danger.

That said, I'm heart broken that my reputation has suffered in your eyes.

In the right car, on the right freeway, responsibily driven (to you an oxymoron), 125 is nothing - except a speeding fine. The clowns doing 80 are a far far bigger danger.

That said, I'm heart broken that my reputation has suffered in your eyes.

On the clowns doing 80, I agree. Responsible driving is driving within the speed limit, driving over the speed limit by 25km/h is irresponsible driving. There is no such thing as 'the right car, on the right freeway'. Speed limits are there for everyone, people driving 'the right car on the right freeway' are not exempt. It is attitudes like that that get people killed.

Don't worry, I never had a high opinion of you anyway.

What nonsense it is, suspending Brock.

The rest of the old-guard leadership group excepting McDonald

amd maybe Robbo are part of the Melbourne Football

Club PROBLEM.

Let the years pass and finally things will change.

Frankly, I couldn't care if the club was full of ratbags so long as

they played winning football.

Presently, this leadership nonsense is more akin to a snotty private

school group.

And what about Carroll. He who takes no backward step.

You're in good company Brock.

Come to think of it there's an alternative to the present leadership.

Start with Brock and Carroll.

hmmm

Are you F*&^%$ for real?

:huh: Steady on Hard's...I wouldnt suspend him from playing...big difference between between Chook speeding in a 100 kph zone and Aka turning up to training three sheets to the wind.

Brock returned to pre-season training out of shape after his first season (too many beers and pies by his own admission), plus the doughies, the speeding fine and the punch-on tour of Europe. It's not like he's a first time offender.

I like 4dees point, DB said at the Family Day that the players represent the club 24/7 - put aside whether you think that's fair or not, that's the standard the footy dept wants to set. I hope they enforce it strongly and set a tone that lasts 10 years, not 10 minutes.

Personally I think it's a bit harsh and I'd doubt that any on here haven't exceeded the speed limit on an open highway.

I would like to run a poll within the leadership group to see if any of them have ever done a similar thing.

Personally I think it's a bit harsh and I'd doubt that any on here haven't exceeded the speed limit on an open highway.

I would like to run a poll within the leadership group to see if any of them have ever done a similar thing.

by 25km though RF ? Enough to lose his licence.

I don't think so I reckon it is about time the club took a stand the same they did with Chopper and say enough is enough.

We cant have Brock behaving anyway he likes and still expect to be captain. He has not had a great 6 months.

Im pretty much behind ya Hards. Firstly i dont think many here get it..and Im suspect as to whether Brocky gets it. Bails has set the tone.. hes drawn the line in the sand.. It must now be enofrced.

Either he ( Macca ) or others WANT to be part of Melbourne and the culture it wished to buld...or you dont.

the doors over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hasn't been a great preseason, has it? O/S punch ups, speeding fines, burnouts, hunting a new CEO, an unspectacular NAB Cup and practice match series, ordinary membership figures - when does the good news start? It's the 150th Birthday of the oldest sporting club in the world and I can't believe we've heard bugger all about it in the media - with a marketing guru running the club as well!

Are you F*&^%$ for real?

why wouldn't i serious? 2 incidents, all due to his new car, have cuased him and club problems, and the group see's it enough of a problem to boot him out of the leadership group!!

for brock to be serious about "maturing", he needs to remove the things that are causing him the issues, same as any person need to take negative influences out of their life to suceed, get rid of the ute, and the temptation wont be there? same as sylvia clearly had a few issues with alcohol, and by all reports, he has become alot more sensible about his intake, have you heard of him fighting or causing trouble like it has over the last few preseasons??

say he was driving an bmw wagon (like half the footballers do), or a volvo, do you really think carpark burnouts and speeding tickets would be an issue? the car has influenced him to make stupid choices.

i know its far fetched, but the what if questions have to be asked... what if he lost control doing the burnout, and slides into another player/person injuring them? or if he gives his car a squirt overtaking, and the backend slides out??? a car going 125kph isnt the easiest to control...

why wouldn't i serious? 2 incidents, all due to his new car, have cuased him and club problems, and the group see's it enough of a problem to boot him out of the leadership group!!

for brock to be serious about "maturing", he needs to remove the things that are causing him the issues, same as any person need to take negative influences out of their life to suceed, get rid of the ute, and the temptation wont be there? same as sylvia clearly had a few issues with alcohol, and by all reports, he has become alot more sensible about his intake, have you heard of him fighting or causing trouble like it has over the last few preseasons??

say he was driving an bmw wagon (like half the footballers do), or a volvo, do you really think carpark burnouts and speeding tickets would be an issue? the car has influenced him to make stupid choices.

i know its far fetched, but the what if questions have to be asked... what if he lost control doing the burnout, and slides into another player/person injuring them? or if he gives his car a squirt overtaking, and the backend slides out??? a car going 125kph isnt the easiest to control...

Do we have a sponsorship with TAC?

haha..make him drive a Ford Laser or a Barina.

Try to impress the chicks and lads with that Brockie

haha..make him drive a Ford Laser or a Barina.

Try to impress the chicks and lads with that Brockie

If you need a car to impress a chick, you have some serious issues.

Likewise if you're a female and you are attracted to a guy because he drives some fuel-guzzling monster then good luck to you :rolleyes:

Honestly, can someone explain to me why so many footballers drive utes? Do their training boots require special transport or something? Utes are for tradies, I bet most footballers have never nailed any inanimate objects in their lives.