Fight to retain CAC

71 Molloy

The article mentions six new players invited to train with our other unlisted players. Do they have names?

They are in the "Updated permission to train list" post

Andrew Campbell (Melbourne); Chris Kangars (Geelong Falcons); Nathan Lyons (Western Jets); Stephen Morris (Western Jets); Daniel Noy (Eastern Ranges); David Teasdale (Sandringham Dragons)

They are in the "Updated permission to train list" post

Andrew Campbell (Melbourne); Chris Kangars (Geelong Falcons); Nathan Lyons (Western Jets); Stephen Morris (Western Jets); Daniel Noy (Eastern Ranges); David Teasdale (Sandringham Dragons)

Thanks Big Kev. Just been reading that post myself.

Do you know anything about Andrew Campbell - definitely not from Melbourne. Perhaps Melbourne Grammar or Melbourne High?

i dont mean to sound really negative and i would love him to stay...but if you look at it from his point of view

-he'll probably get paid more at richmond

-it is good for his career and development proffesionally

-it's the club he went for as a child

-hes had relatives play for richmond

-it would be good for his name to play at richmond if he was succesful there

-he is probably sick of melbourne

i find it unlikely that he will stay, im sorry...if he did...id be extremely happy and surprised

Good recruiting and list management wins you flags, I am confident a flag will be won with players hand picked by CAC, the question is which club will he be recruiting for.

Nugget, only one of your arguments makes any sense, he will undoubtedly get paid more at richmond, but I think it is far more likely that his decision will be swayed by tuhe fact Richmond's recruiting department will have a lot more resources available to them. I also think that CAC's role in Melbourne is being slightly diminished with new names coming on board. Not that I disagree with the new names.

Again I am impressed with DB, he has listened to the fans and recognised CAC's contribution. I suspect he will still go to Richmond but at the very least we can raise his price tag.

Who gives a toss?

Recruiting isn't wrapped in the shrouds of mystery anymore.

Get over it. Craig Cameron leaves Melbourne.

Oh no! The sky is falling.

from all accounts the top 20 nearly pick themselves but after that it comes down to homework and a bit of luck, people/clubs still stuff it up. best recent example Tambling from the tigers, how many other clubs would trade for him..........none

Have we definitely lost Craig? I still hold hope we haven't . Am I like John Howard in Bennelong....clutching at straws?

Was it because we didn't pay him enough money?

We don't know anything for sure yet JJC. I'd go as far to say we don't know anything at all other than what seems to have been an article that was masquarading speculation as fact.

Good recruiting and list management wins you flags, I am confident a flag will be won with players hand picked by CAC, the question is which club will he be recruiting for.

I'm unconvinced by this, in reality he's had the job for ten years. He's drafted a whole generation of players and the result is that our new coach reckons we need to rebuild the list around the u23's. Currently we're as far from ultimate success as any other team in the comp.

Good recruiting is an essential part of the process for without it you simply dont get the good candidates for nurturing into good players.

As said , its a part of the process. Its like growing stuff you have to know how to tend it, how and when to pick it and what to do with it afterwards. if you leave it around too long without attention the produce rots, goes to seed or loses freshness and quality. My oh my hasnt this been a problem at Melbourne in the past, leaving some things too long. But this doesnt detract or devalue the effort and effect of good recruiting.

There are two separated elements to the whole show, but without the first you have no chance at the second !!

Maybe I'm confused but I am sure that there was talk at the end of last season that CAC had turned down an offer from some other club?

There was, and there were quite explicit comments that he had decided to stay with us despite financially more appealing offers from other clubs.

It's part of why there's so much love for him, I think.

I'll cling to hope as long as I can, because these last few years of CAC has seen the best draft performances, pick for pick, of any club if you ak me.

But this article is pretty overwhelmingly clear that Cameron is going to Richmond. I haven't seen such a confident article written since it was confirmed Judd was coming to Melbourne.

I'm more than happy to take a grain of salt with this rumour.

Who gives a toss?

Recruiting isn't wrapped in the shrouds of mystery anymore.

Get over it. Craig Cameron leaves Melbourne.

Oh no! The sky is falling.

R u on ur rags?

just joking buddy

but craig cameron is a very good recruiting manager as shown by his past 5 years

it is not the end of the world true, but still it is a crucial loss to melbournefc

Good recruiting and list management wins you flags

That tells everything about CAC then doesent it

What a load of crap. We haven't won a flag because of CAC's recruiting -- right. Silly me, I thought that the (plethora of) coaches, all the training staff, the players themselves, the resources given to them all by the club and a dash of luck may or may not have just as much bearing on winning a flag or not.

I know some are upset by the thought that CAC is entertaining leaving, but can we please switch our brains on for just a second here. The recruiter is just one ingredient. It's totally irrational to pin our lack of a flag on him.

What a load of crap. We haven't won a flag because of CAC's recruiting -- right. Silly me, I thought that the (plethora of) coaches, all the training staff, the players themselves, the resources given to them all by the club and a dash of luck may or may not have just as much bearing on winning a flag or not.

I know some are upset by the thought that CAC is entertaining leaving, but can we please switch our brains on for just a second here. The recruiter is just one ingredient. It's totally irrational to pin our lack of a flag on him.

Of course CAC isn't solely responsible for us not winning a flag, but equally ridiculous is the pedestal that many here put him on. The facts remain that after having the job for ten years our new coach believes that the squad needs to be rebuilt, now no matter how you sugar coat it that reflects poorly on the recruiting department.

Of course CAC isn't solely responsible for us not winning a flag, but equally ridiculous is the pedestal that many here put him on. The facts remain that after having the job for ten years our new coach believes that the squad needs to be rebuilt, now no matter how you sugar coat it that reflects poorly on the recruiting department.

I'm not putting CAC on a pedestal. I reckon he's done a good job, but there are 15 other recruiters in the AFL, some of whom have had more success than us. But as of this moment, he hasn't left and he's done all our recruiting up until now.

So while it's true we haven't won a premiership on his recruiting, all the rebuilding that's going on is also based on his recruiting. The basis for the rebuilding is the players who have been recruited by CAC in the last five years, and I reckon they look pretty good. But there's nothing like time to prove me, you and CAC right or wrong.

Yes and no. Personally I am of the belief that CAC's last 5 years have been his finest, and that his (in my eyes) success over that period is born directly from experience in the role. Experience that will be lost if CAC goes, and we risk having to endure 5 or so years of mediocre recruiting while the new guy finds his feet. Everyone recruited within CAC's 5 "experience" years still fits the "23 and under" criteria. It's all well and good to argue that all of CAC's early recruits are being tossed out, but if you're going to do that you have to acknowledge that every single one of the players Bailey wants to base his team around was also recruited by CAC.

You also can't forget that while Bailey is a fan of our 23 and unders, there's also a gaping hole in our list that no other clubs really suffer from around the 25 year old mark because of draft penalties. That could be just as responsible for our "list deficiencies" as poor recruiting.

Anyway, I'm sure you'd agree Jarka that the real level of accountability CAC should be held for lies somewhere in between the two extremes we've seen in this thread. My above post was in response to the two directly above me (from demonsflag555657 and occo) more than anything.