The Alix 'Flying Viking' Tauru thread

• Moonshadow changed the title to The Alix 'Flying Viking' Tauru thread

Very hard to place where he will go. 

Both he and Armstrong have come from nowhere to be in the top 15 of most phantom drafts. Tauru looks to be the better footballer of the two to me, he attacks the ball so well, but looks better as a defender than a forward. 

I'm Tipping that Richmond will take him with one of there top 10 picks or that North will split pick 2 to go back in the draft a bit to pick him or Armstrong up. There is every possibility that they pick either Armstrong or Tauru with pick 2.

If he was there at pick 9 then we would have to consider him heavily.

He looks like a pretty bad kick with that awkward drop of the ball, from those small highlights. Under AFL pressure it gets intensified.

You draft him, bring him in and he's a third tall defender or forward initially or in his 2nd year. So then he's not going to add anything elite at ground level in linking up with his team mates, and may be a player thats a liability with ball n hand. He looks like someone that's going to take over 5 years before you get meaningful contribution... That would be my guess as to why we might not take him. We would want to bring in two elite users of the ball that will have an immediate impact while our ageing stars are in their window imo. 

As for future needs? Well we can shift and transition Petty and Disco into defence as May/TMAC retire, and JVR & MJ hopefully create a tandem going forward. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hardtack said:

I’m hoping we get him with pick 5… there are enough quality mids that pick 9 will still be well used.

Absolutely Hardtack I hope we can get Tauru at pick5 as he is total X factor and had unlimited potential. Great mark and could be a possibility on the ball with his mobility. Way to go. 

As you have said there will still be a good/ great mid at pick 9 for us such is the depth of this draft. 
I hope JT is all over this and follows up with Tauru at 5 and the best suited mid for us at 9. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

'Alixzander'?

Really?

I guess 'Alfie'(bet) beckons for a nickname...

Alternatively, while I'm at it, his surname lends itself to 'Bull'.

Or Ford...

He's at his best as an intercept defender floating into packs with his huge leap. He won't be able to do that unimpeded at AFL level, so queries around how solid the rest of his game is. He's not the best with ball in hand, and is undersized for KPP if he doesn't keep growing. He's unproven in midfield and don't think he's quick enough mentally to be a big bodied midfielder around stoppages long term. 

I see why he's being hyped up as his athletic profile is great. He'd be a good target at 9 if he's there to develop as the Lever replacement long term.

• Like 3

He reads the ball very, very well - that skill wont disappear at senior level.
The rest is strength, experience and support.

Without seeing enough U18 footy, hard to see what the knock on his game is.  Looks a great build, athletic, reads the play well and is very brave in the air.  Having had May in the team for the last 6 years shows the difference and elite tall defender can make.

Would be very happy to have one in to develop in the shadow of May and Lever (and hopefully Petty).  

• Like 2

Why would we recruit a tall defender at pick 5? 

With no Gus and questions marks over Trac and Clarry and Viney getting on we desperately need quality mids

The quality of midfielder at 5 and 9 could be telling, even in a deep draft

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

He's at his best as an intercept defender floating into packs with his huge leap. He won't be able to do that unimpeded at AFL level, so queries around how solid the rest of his game is. He's not the best with ball in hand, and is undersized for KPP if he doesn't keep growing. He's unproven in midfield and don't think he's quick enough mentally to be a big bodied midfielder around stoppages long term. 

I see why he's being hyped up as his athletic profile is great. He'd be a good target at 9 if he's there to develop as the Lever replacement long term.

Nailed it. Tauru is good. Not for pick “5” in my view.  I am picking an elite mid at “5”.
Possibility that we grab for Tauru at “9”.  Athletic ability & his marking are his assets.  Would take time to adjust to AFL and @Lord TravisI agree likely be placed ultimately as a Lever replacement.  

Imv Travaglia gets my nod if available at 9.  Just evokes Trent Rivers mode in my eyes.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DubDee said:

With no Gus and questions marks over Trac and Clarry and Viney getting on we desperately need quality mids

Yep agree 100%. If we were to pick Tauru at 5 and the draft plays out like we all expect, the only mid lift on the table in that top 20 is Reid whom I am strongly against drafting and I think will slide to the 15-20 range. So drafting Tauru at 6 is a no no IMO.

Take the best mid available at 6. Most likely one of the big boys (Langford, Smilie or Allan). If North want to take Tauru at pick 2 (which would be silly) it would work for us to snag Jagga at pick 6.

We've got good options if we stick to drafting best mid at 5.

If Tauru isn't available at pick 9 who do we like? For me atm its between Travaglia or Trainer. I'm not big on Armstrong from what I've seen live or from vision online.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, adonski said:

Will he follow the Aaron Naughton route of being moved from defence to the forwardline due to his dodgy kicking?

I know it’s local footy but this was his debut as a 17 year old. Looks natural as a forward.

There’s something about the way he reads the footy in the air that just feels really special to me.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DubDee said:

It comes down to 

- Do we think we’ll bounce back next season or are we planning our next assault. I personally think we can and are doing both at the same time.

- Petracca 5 years left & Oliver 6, compared to May 2 & Lever 4. 

- Mids are available every year. 

- Do we think The Viking is a future star of the game. 

- Trading for tall later will cost us more than pick 5.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

It comes down to 

- Do we think we’ll bounce back next season or are we planning our next assault. I personally think we can and are doing both at the same time.

- Petracca 5 years left & Oliver 6, compared to May 2 & Lever 4. 

- Mids are available every year. 

- Do we think The Viking is a future star of the game. 

- Trading for tall later will cost us more than pick 5.

interesting points 

I like to play percentages as i have no actual proper knowledge on these guys aside from what i read and watch. Tall defenders are usually from later picks in the draft and can be picked up and groomed. Talls taken early are risky. But if he is a gun with special qualities we might have a look

Play the percentages in a strong draft I reckon. Big strong midfielder with 5. 

8 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Tauru 193cm

JUH 197 cm

Wateman 191cm

Cameron 196cm

Hogan 195cm

Curnow 194cm

His disposal looks alright from the limited vision available & doesn’t have a ridiculous set shot approach.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning

Starting to think we might call out his name at pick 5. If there’s two things JT loves in a draft pick it’s a competitive streak and a lot of upside. Tauru and Lalor offer the best combo of both at the top end of the draft. Lalor will probably be gone. 
We seem to be linked with Allen at pick 9 which has me thinking we go for Tauru at 5. We still get our mid bull at 9. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colm said:

Starting to think we might call out his name at pick 5. If there’s two things JT loves in a draft pick it’s a competitive streak and a lot of upside. Tauru and Lalor offer the best combo of both at the top end of the draft. Lalor will probably be gone. 
We seem to be linked with Allen at pick 9 which has me thinking we go for Tauru at 5. We still get our mid bull at 9. 

Where are you hearing/reading this? @Pennant St Dee reckons the "go-home" factor is high with him which makes me worried. I know we back in ourselves to select the best talent we like, but we've been burnt recently and spent a lot to get this pick.

• Like 1