Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

adonski

1 hour ago, demoncat said:

Woof - glad we’re getting pick 9 but gee we’re paying a premium for it 

Not sure where we’re going to get the picks from to get Harry Sharp out of Brisbane? They need picks in this years draft and I’m not sure what we have left over after this?

Edit: I see we’ll have 49 left which I’m guessing would be part of an in principle agreement for him 

In short we have to make the finals next year to make this trade work.

I dont mind the risk/reward aspect as it makes the whole Club accountable and cannot afford another poor season.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I guess we had to do 28 and the future first for 9, that’s the minimum price for a quality pick.

46 gets cancelled out by the future 3rd.

65 is junk.

Did we have to put both 40 and 54 in, I guess the deal says yes and Essendon needed points picks for Kako to do the deal to begin with.

I hope we find a way to get a 3rd rounder, if not for Derk then at least for JT to have a crack at a slider.

Hopefully Tomlinson finds a new home and we can keep whatever pick we net for him handy for a slider  

• Like 2

You need to break a few eggs to make an omlette. When we overpay we usually know have a very specific target. 

We also 'overpayed' for Kolt last year, but it doesn't seem to have impacted our plans this year. 

This means we pull x2 top 10 picks, Sharp and a rookie like Mentha. Sounds like a great haul to me.

Edited by MrFreeze
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Hopefully Tomlinson finds a new home and we can keep whatever pick we net for him handy for a slider  

The pies future 4th is the ultimate slider! 

I suspect Collingwood just wait until we delist him

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kurtneverdied said:

Best available for the 2. Hopefully mids. We are so overrated in the mids now on past efforts. Question marks over our best 2 plus Gus going. It's stale as twisties left out overnight.

Let's not get picky either. We overlooked Wines because he was the same type as Viney, yes no one complained that Toumpas slipped, but I'm disappointed our recruiters didn't see even a risk Toumpas was no good, or the upside in Wines was greater.

Why wreck my morning talking about Toumpas?? He was a poor mans Diamond Jim Tillbrook

• Like 1

I wouldn't be worrying about the late picks at all, it's just that Essendon are desperate for points this year, and that's what's making them do the deal. Without the late pick swaps we might have only got pick 13 from Gold Coast with our future first and 28. In terms of how valuable the late picks are consider that Richmond was willing to give up picks 32, 42, 43, and 45 for pick 20.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

You need to break a few eggs to make an omlette. When we overpay we usually know have a very specific target. 

We also 'overpayed' for Kolt last year, but it doesn't seem to have impacted our plans this year. 

This means we pull x2 top 10 picks, Sharp and a rookie like Mentha. Sounds like a great haul to me.

Sharp is young, we add 2 high quality players plus Sharp.  We have potential FS and NGA next year that you would think be around that mid second round to third rounders at the moment. So we have the picks to cover these.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

It does impact our depth tho, which I personally think leads to bad culture and standards as you keep guys you don’t rate who just collect cheques at Casey and puts pressure on the coaches to play the same side rather than have real competition for spots.

When we did the Pickett deal we folded it back from 8 to 12 and grabbed Rivers with the second rounder.

Won’t be until the draft but Id be very open to doing the same here given how even the second tier of prospects looks in this draft. There’s a couple of specific guys I think we might target with pick 9 who are more of a needs/unique skill set selection who could be there at 12. There’s your second rounder back. 

Also - do what you got to do - knee cap someone, bribe someone, call in the Peaky freaking blinders to get this Irish kid. That’s your 3rd rounder.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

Can't get excited or disappointed with this trade. Was hoping we'd go deep into the draft this year. Pick 9 for our F1 and 28 seemed about right. Bundling up the later picks and sending them to Brisbane for pick 32/34 and Sharp, would have given us a nice draft hand.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Can't get excited or disappointed with this trade. Was hoping we'd go deep into the draft this year. Pick 9 for our F1 and 28 seemed about right. Bundling up the later picks and sending them to Brisbane for pick 32/34 and Sharp, would have given us a nice draft hand.

Yes would have looked better. We must have a specific target to pay that heavy price.

“Essendon trading pick 9 and a future third-round pick” for “Melbourne's future first-round pick and picks 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65”. 

Certainly overpaying in my view but Dees are super keen to get that pick 9.  Probably falls to pick 11 as Ashcroft and Lombard should and must get bid in within the first 5 picks.  

Did we need to give so much …again ??? The trade offers Bombers over 1800 in points plus the future 1st 2025.  Dees get current pick 9 plus future 3rd.  Bombers will eat this up.  
Imv Dees needed to keep 28 or 40 off this trade.  Imv the max offering future MFC first-round pick and picks 28, 46, 54 and 65 works as a deal and ultimately the offer.  The points from Dees should be strong and keep that pick 40 & 48.  Yes 48 to grab Sharp from the Lions.  Go to the draft with 5, 9, 40 plus a late slider pick (need to grab 4 youngsters MINIMUM in this draft). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I am guessing we are leaving room for potential delisted free agents?

Having the 2 draft picks and Harry Sharp surely doesn't put our list spots at full capacity?

6 confirmed outs (Gus, ANB, Hunter, Schache, BBB, KFW) with 2 more surely a matter of time.

2 confirmed in (Kentfield, Campbell). Plus Sharp on the way.

So 3/8 filled.

2 potential Cat B rookies (Mentha, Irish) that might push AMW on to a main list or just consume an extra rookie spot? Could be 4/8 if that goes our way.

I’d like to get to 3 national draft picks and then have an open try out for the final list spot all through summer. Bring in some hungry state league players.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

In short we have to make the finals next year to make this trade work.

I dont mind the risk/reward aspect as it makes the whole Club accountable and cannot afford another poor season.

I think this is too black and white. 

If we get Tauru or a gun mid or Armstrong, who then turn out to be great players, then it really doesn't matter where we finish next year. (If we finish bottom 4 it will look bad)

Picks after 40 are not particularly valuable -  some clubs are passing on rounds at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

6 confirmed outs (Gus, ANB, Hunter, Schache, BBB, KFW) with 2 more surely a matter of time.

2 confirmed in (Kentfield, Campbell). Plus Sharp on the way.

So 3/8 filled.

2 potential Cat B rookies (Mentha, Irish) that might push AMW on to a main list or just consume an extra rookie spot? Could be 4/8 if that goes our way.

I’d like to get to 3 national draft picks and then have an open try out for the final list spot all through summer. Bring in some hungry state league players.

Also adding Joel Smith and Adam Tomlinson as outs.

So I'm guessing we'll have room to fit Riak Andrew? I worry that if he gets a bid in the national draft, we have nothing to match the bid.

There are reports that clubs do like him in the back half of the draft.

Edited by dazzledavey36

16 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

I'm hoping we pick up Alix Tauru with pick 9 should we take it into the draft. Tall, aggressive and can play anywhere. I'd happily take him over Armstrong who is rated higher in a couple of phantom drafts.

Great suggestion. These highlight packages can be misleading butI like what I see with Alix. 

Great hands, launches hard then seems to float through the air, and plays both ends of the ground. Lots of potential.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

“Essendon trading pick 9 and a future third-round pick” for “Melbourne's future first-round pick and picks 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65”. 

Certainly overpaying in my view but Dees are super keen to get that pick 9.  Probably falls to pick 11 as Ashcroft and Lombard should and must get bid in within the first 5 picks.  

Did we need to give so much …again ??? The trade offers Bombers over 1800 in points plus the future 1st 2025.  Dees get current pick 9 plus future 3rd.  Bombers will eat this up.  
Imv Dees needed to keep 28 or 40 off this trade.  Imv the max offering future MFC first-round pick and picks 28, 46, 54 and 65 works as a deal and ultimately the offer.  The points from Dees should be strong and keep that pick 40 & 48.  Yes 48 to grab Sharp from the Lions.  Go to the draft with 5, 9, 40 plus a late slider pick (need to grab 4 youngsters MINIMUM in this draft). 

Don’t get caught up in the points, it’s so irrelevant.  Pick 9 is gold

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Can anyone enlighten me?

We are about 5 players short on our senior list according to the spreadsheet on the website.   If we only finish up with 6,9 and forty something, how do we get the extra players.   Our rookie list is full except for a Category B which will probably go to an academy player.  1 pick mid-season still leaves us short.  Do they just put someone from the rookie list on the senior list and then draft another rookie?   Seems a waste of a spot, but I guess they might have an eye on some left field rookie.  They did it with Sestan.

Oh no, what would we do without pick 40?  😐

Our recent drafting history with picks in the National Draft at 40 and above:

2023: None. 2022: None. 2021: Taj Woewodin (FS match). 2020: None. 2019: None. 

One would almost think that we have a drafting philosophy of doing whatever we can to get further up the list where the good players are, rather than picking later where the ordinary players are. I'm not going to cry over giving up additional late picks to get a top 10 picks.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Don’t get caught up in the points, it’s so irrelevant.  Pick 9 is gold

Agree not so much the points , it’s the extra dip of 28 and 40.  Getting 9 this year and giving back future 1st plus 1800 points.  Sweet deal for Dons.  This draft offers excellent youngsters in the 2nd round as well.   I do really like getting 9, so wait and see … 

2 minutes ago, stinga said:

Can anyone enlighten me?

We are about 5 players short on our senior list according to the spreadsheet on the website.   If we only finish up with 6,9 and forty something, how do we get the extra players.   Our rookie list is full except for a Category B which will probably go to an academy player.  1 pick mid-season still leaves us short.  Do they just put someone from the rookie list on the senior list and then draft another rookie?   Seems a waste of a spot, but I guess they might have an eye on some left field rookie.  They did it with Sestan.

Sharp from Brisbane, maybe give a future 3rd or 4th. 

AMW deserves senior spot

3 draftees

+ Rookies/State league options

1 minute ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree not so much the points , it’s the extra dip of 28 and 40.  Getting 9 this year and giving back future 1st plus 1800 points.  Sweet deal for Dons.  This draft offers excellent youngsters in the 2nd round as well.   I do really like getting 9, so wait and see … 

28 will slide into the 30's 

15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

It does impact our depth tho, which I personally think leads to bad culture and standards as you keep guys you don’t rate who just collect cheques at Casey and puts pressure on the coaches to play the same side rather than have real competition for spots.

Underrated problem, I reckon. I think Melbourne has fallen into this trap way too often in the past couple of years - but well before that also. I don't think it's any coincidence that the Flag came when Casey was flush with players who could honestly consider themselves very unlucky not to be getting a game. 

• Like 2