Christian Petracca

I think we need to work out a trade. I don’t like keeping players against their will. Particularly when we have an unsettled group and lots of small fractures.

Whichever club takes him will have immediate salary cap pressures, so they will need to include a player. It will be a player, plus a first round and potentially a future first. 
We need to make it happen this draft. 
I for one, will not welcome him back post this.. this behaviour frustrates me. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Be interesting to time up the travel time from Tracc’s place in an inner south east suburb to Carlton 4 days a week (35-60 minutes), vs to Gosch’s 2 days (15-25 mins) and Casey 2 days (45-1hr).

Net result would be negligible. 

Easier commute directly from training to making weird Colgate ads!

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, BDA said:

The club have said no trade (and a fair trade is highly unlikely anyways). It’s the only stance that makes sense.

Trac’s leaking is torching us and the club. I don’t think it’s very smart to leave himself without a pathway back to the fold. He is being very badly advised. The long-term contract means the club holds the upper hand. I’m sure I would agree with him about a lot of the issues at the club but the way he’s gone about it demonstrates clearly a very selfish streak. He wants out and doesn’t care about damaging the club to achieve this.

He has a lot of back pedalling to do. It’s going to be interesting to see how he goes about that. I’m not even sure its tenable given how he has trashed the club.

Very interesting times.

Sorry how do you know trac is leaking info? and what info is he leaking?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

8 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I've long suspected that Picket Fence is Mathew Jefferson

Um not so, I am an out and out Looney! I believe Jeffo very sensible and stable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Tracca said:

@Colm instead of face palming, maybe answer the question? This isnt an episode of days of our lives. 

Edited by Tracca

4 minutes ago, Tracca said:

Well, what do you think?

Someone is clearly leaking stuff to the media. It's either him or the club.

Who benefits more from this noise? Ask yourself that question, you'll find the answer.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Essendon is a big Melb. Club.

Merret and Caddy should do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nairobi_Demon said:

Exactly. The Club needs to credibly signal that they are prepared to hold him to his contract and not trade him if they want leverage with Petracca and an alternative club. One way to do this is for senior leaders to make bold public statements that could make them look foolish after a trade, like being certain that he will play in the red and blue in 2025 (Goodwin, Pert, Lyon, etc).  It’s a credible signal because it’s costly - it’s a statement that comes with some reputation damage if it turns out wrong.

Conversely, Petracca and his management seem to want to make the relationship seem so bad and irreparable  such that the club decides it’s better to accept a weak trade rather than have him around the club.

In this regard, other MFC players stating the relationship is bad is unhelpful for the club.  Better other players don’t say anything or, alternatively, say something along the lines that “look he’s gone through a lot, but we’ll get around him if he stays”. That may be hard to say in the current context but the fact that it’s hard to say makes it credible and would bolster the club’s position. 

For what’s it’s worth, I think the players would get around him if he were to stay. Too many good memories, players would understand he’s been through a lot, and they may also have some sympathy with some of his criticisms and concerns about the club’s performance. I also really question whether this is the right moment in his recovery to make such a big decision. 

The challenge I see with Petracca’s strategy is what it signals to any interested club — on the one hand it credibly signals his ambition and drive, but also that this personal ambition is bigger than the team/club. I’m sure that would make other clubs pause.  And thus if he pushes too hard on the “irreconcilable narrative” and continues to leak internal club issues to credibly signal this fallout (issues I’m sure all clubs have and don’t like aired), it will get to the point where other clubs will see risk not only opportunity in a trade. Conversely he could risk future captaincy and other status symbols should he push too far down this path but still end up at the Dees.

Anyway, will be interesting to see where this lands.  Personally, I hope he stays because of the high performance standards he brings.

Nup not now, quickly becoming yesterdays hero, Trade out!

• Thinking 1

My tip.

This will all blow over and there will be a big redemption, reconciliation patch up job by tracc's team.

Why?

Well, whilst i don't doubt tracc wants our, it appears he's wedged himself.

(I say appeared because whilst there's obviously been some strategic backgrounding to journos, the only info we've got thus far is from peanuts like Morris and McClure - note this a classic move of politcians and player managers alike as it gets the desired message out, sets the narrative but also provides a get out, we never said such stuff, option).

By wedged i mean the suggestion is he wants out, but only to a 'big Victorian club' in the Premiership window.

Realistically that is the pies, blues and a very long stretch the bombers (noting their home ground is marvel).

To get to one of those clubs a mighty good deal would need to be done - one that satisfies us.

What leverage does tracc have?

Well, some might argue his leverage is the dees having a player on the list who wants to be elsewhere and who might be bad for the vibe at the club

Big f deal for one thing. 

But that's basically a threat - one we have clearly signalled (goody's post match presser being the best example) we are not going to be bowed by.

A key point is if things are so bad, and he really, really wants out then suck it up and go to the Tigers, or West coast, or the suns. Or wherever.

Or not, and honour his contract.

• Like 19
  • Love 1
  • Clap 4
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Well, what do you think?

Who benefits more from this noise? Ask yourself that question, you'll find the answer.

There's a touch of Confucius here ElDiablo. I like it. 'Never give a sword to a man who can't dance'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Well, what do you think?

again, is this just speculation or fact?

because the exact same stuff has been said 3 years ago. 

7 hours ago, Where Demons Dare said:

I loved how McClure said "in his opinion" to kick off his segment on 'Footy Classified' tonight basically meaning it's all hypothetical. Of the five bullet points he made in his segment, I honestly couldn't buy any of it. It all sounded too wishy washy for me. It's clear to me that McClure is getting this information second hand when he couldn't answer any proper direct questions from the panel for instance when 'Cornes' asked about Goodwin and Petraccas relationship... he back peddled quickly and said he couldn't comment on it saying "he's not comfortable speaking to the heart of 1 on 1 relationships" because he knew he had nothing. 

What I found interesting was Lloyd's comments having spoken to some players and they believed his services are best suited elsewhere. But what I get from that is that the players feel he needs to drop his enormous ego and start toeing the line if he wants to get some respect back from the playing group back. Unfortunately I feel now he'll never be Captain of our club which seemed almost destined for him in the next year or two. Oh how far you've fallen Christian... 

Did you also notice at the end of the segment 'Hutchy' thanked Sam and Tom for breaking the news. Morris strikes again... McClure is only telling what Morris had passed on. That's why he couldn't answer any direct line of questioning.

Isn’t denial the first stage of grief? We should conduct a poll to see where we all sit.

55 minutes ago, BDA said:

The club have said no trade (and a fair trade is highly unlikely anyways). It’s the only stance that makes sense.

Trac’s leaking is torching us and the club. I don’t think it’s very smart to leave himself without a pathway back to the fold. He is being very badly advised. The long-term contract means the club holds the upper hand. I’m sure I would agree with him about a lot of the issues at the club but the way he’s gone about it demonstrates clearly a very selfish streak. He wants out and doesn’t care about damaging the club to achieve this.

He has a lot of back pedalling to do. It’s going to be interesting to see how he goes about that. I’m not even sure its tenable given how he has trashed the club.

Very interesting times.

I actually think the club is playing this well. Saying there’s no chance he will be traded.  I’m wondering if Trac is backing himself into a corner and may have to go to the highest bidder just to get out as he’s burnt his bridges. 

Im ok with holding him to his contract and will hope he can get back to his best form. But I don’t want him doing any media work for the club and I’d hope the club puts the squeeze on how many other media commitments he can do. 
I’m ok if he ends up staying but we should do zero to help him build his brand in the future. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I still can’t believe the situation can’t be salvageable between Trac and the club. I’m not buying the Oliver thing either, I recall Trac giving a really honest and empathetic interview on AFL360 about him only a few weeks into the season.

All my mail has been around him trying to put his brand first - playing at a bigger club to help his brand. I also heard a rumour he was unhappy that Nick Daicos won some sponsorship deal ahead of him and the reason he was told was because Daicos played for Collingwood.

Really interesting to see if the club will put out a statement though after tonight’s events.

He is also a better player and more marketable. Collingwood does factor in. Just wait until Daicos wins a Brownlow. 

• Thinking 1

Just now, Queanbeyan Demon said:

You're right about that. It's the first ten seasons plus the telemovie.

lol. 

I often tell myself, as I pass 40, that under no circumstances should I become the old man yelling at a cloud that I see everywhere around me. But when it comes to "building a personal brand" I'm full on Grandpa Simpson. 

One of the biggest, most pernicious loads of [censored] dreamt up in the last century. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, Tracca said:

@Colm instead of face palming, maybe answer the question? This isnt an episode of days of our lives. 

Is that really you Trac? Cmon man a blind man can see that this story has been drip fed from Tracs camp to try and force through a move. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

https://x.com/DanielCherny/status/1828015855936086260?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

From article:

"Red flags emerged on Petracca.

Former Saints list manager Ameet Bains and recruiter Tony Elshaug started to question whether Petracca would fit their environment.

Why did the psych test reveal an eagerness for Petracca to promote himself ahead of teammates? Were there selfish traits?

Did his antics at the 3km time-trial – ensuring everybody knew he was sore – highlight immaturity? A lack of mental strength?

How come he completed extra training in isolation instead of with teammates?

Petracca seemed to enjoy attention. Would his personality blend in at St Kilda?"

• Thinking 2

5 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

He is also a better player and more marketable. Collingwood does factor in. Just wait until Daicos wins a Brownlow. 

Imagine how many such deals someone like Bontempelli or Toby Green may have missed because they play in "small" clubs.

Unbelievable if true, that he can be affected just because someone is more marketable than him.

In any case, usually these things are also decided based on the targeted demographic. I wonder what demographic would a Collingwood player appeal to?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

I often tell myself, as I pass 40, that under no circumstances should I become the old man yelling at a cloud that I see everywhere around me. But when it comes to "building a personal brand" I'm full on Grandpa Simpson. 

One of the biggest, most pernicious loads of [censored] dreamt up in the last century. 

Christian Petracca’s ‘brand’—yeah, it’s like he’s selling bottled charisma at the local supermarket. All this talk about ‘brand’ is just drivel, though—since when did being a gun AFL player require personal branding? It’s football, not a fashion label! Last I checked, goals don’t care about your social media presence.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Colm said:

Is that really you Trac? Cmon man a blind man can see that this story has been drip fed from Tracs camp to try and force through a move. 

you still havent answered the question. is it hearsay or fact? and what exactly was leaked?

as the same tripe that McLure and Morris have said, was said 3 years ago. nothing has changed.

• Facepalm 2