Oliver Trade Rumours

4 minutes ago, Flowergirl said:

"The Cats – even as they explore the feasibility of a trade and have established themselves as the preferred destination for Oliver if he leaves – are mindful of the reality that the midfielder, a four-time best and fairest, can only be recruited if the Demons are willing to strike a deal and that Melbourne can take the same position they ultimately did over Christian Petracca in holding him, despite his interest in a move."

Wont happen Fait Accompli hes 

GOOOONNNE🤮

53 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Keen to hear @goodwindees thoughts in all of this.

Hi Daz & Brendan. I can’t say too much except that right now, I think a deal gets done. 
When I announced this a month ago, I didn’t think it was possible because I couldn’t see Dees getting fair value from Cats. 
They’ll certainly have their work cut out taking on Bailey, Claz & Stengle. 
The stories I could tell re Bailey. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 21
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, goodwindees said:

Hi Daz & Brendan. I can’t say too much except that right now, I think a deal gets done. 
When I announced this a month ago, I didn’t think it was possible because I couldn’t see Dees getting fair value from Cats. 

Thanks @goodwindees - no worries if you can’t say but does that mean you now think we can get fair value from the Cats?

The Age says that on his current contract Oliver would be easily the highest-paid player at Geelong. So that’s ahead of Jeremy Cameron and Patrick Dangerfield.  It says Geelong has rarely overpaid for even the top-end players they have had. Seems like they’re far better money and player managers than we are.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

If true, both Pert and Goodwin going into 2025 together is untenable. 

And again, if true, the board must remove the CEO as soon as possible. Whether or not such actions are justified, going rogue is inexcusable. 

Are we sure Pert isn’t an ‘inside man’ still paying his allegiances to the Pies?

3 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

Does this mean we will get fair value now? Or that we’ve given up on that idea and willing to sell for way less than Clarry is worth?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Cats will only pay full amount if draft cost is lower, or will only pay higher draft cost if Dees kick in some salary relief (duh).

Cats biding their time, our public position on a trade hasn't changed, and we may still keep Oliver. He wants to leave but a trade will be hard.

Any trade complicated by Smith trade

Problem really lies in the fact that they have no decent draft capital anyway. Which means our only option if dealing with them is to take the option of a full salary dump. Not ideal.

In the NBA a high quality player like this would net you the teams next 4 or 5 1st round draft picks so that the weaker teams have some leverage against the stronger ones. Stronger teams don't care so much about their draft capital as they attract free agents easily to keep topping up...weaker teams can build a cache of high end draft picks and have a crack at developing a young core that can make a run at it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

The Age says that on his current contract Oliver would be easily the highest-paid player at Geelong. So that’s ahead of Jeremy Cameron and Patrick Dangerfield.  It says Geelong has rarely overpaid for even the top-end players they have had. Seems like they’re far better money and player managers than we are.

Well they do have $1 farms and all that sweet Cotton On cash not coming out of the salary cap.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

But they're also helped by the fact that houses cost less in Geelong/surf coast so the players are ok will bring paid slightly less. Let alone the under the table deals...

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Or that we’ve given up on that idea and willing to sell for way less than Clarry is worth?

A player with ongoing personal/behavioural issues who has been average at best for the last 18 months and who's on a massive contract until he's 33.

None of that is going to help his worth.

The other question in all this that hasn't been brought up anywhere, would Oliver be prepared to take a pay cut to help this go through?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

17 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

Cheers GD's 👏

On a side note, do you think we'll target any particular name to fill in some midfield depth?

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

I'm sure the Cats' broom is large enough to sweep things under the rug, and the Geelong Advertiser isn't going to lag on one of their boys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, goodwindees said:

No, not at all. The bargaining powers have changed significantly, and a month ago, Claz didn’t want to leave. 

Thanks for the info as always 

From the outside this seems more and more like a huge [censored] up by the club, especially if clubs were asking if two first rounders would get it done only a month ago…

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

No, not at all. The bargaining powers have changed significantly, and a month ago, Claz didn’t want to leave. 

And now we made him want to leave, and have gone from having clubs offer 2 first round picks (according to you a month ago), to Geelong offering us a bag of stale chips instead. 

This Is Fine GIF

• Like 5
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Cheers GD's 👏

On a side note, do you think we'll target any particular name to fill in some midfield depth?

GREG WELLS??? Place is shot to Sheeit! Dazz!

• Haha 1

Anyone going to the best and fairest can they old post updates of player face expressions and detailed break downs of their interactions so we can glean made up conclusions?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

Why? What if the teams get better? Who knows what the future holds. Nobody saw ‘21 coming. Sometimes you’ve got to make moves to improve.

True.

Lions were considered garbage earlier in the year.

Pies were a certainty for finals.

Carlton were looking top 2 and Swans couldn’t be beaten.

Tigers getting the wooden spoon would have seemed impossible.

Hawks winning a final, no way.

Yes, sometimes difficult moves create change for the better.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Sir Windsor said:

I think it’s simple. Clarry was on a strict sober protocol - one of the conditions set forth last year including medical appointments. He failed both of those two and basically MFC have no leg to stand on as it was his last warning.

Its sad, but it’s the only move we had left. 

It also shows unfortunately that Clarry needs to be monitored / looked after 365 days of the year. It took one opportunity for him to slip up and h grabbed it with both hands (allegedly). At the worst - I think his footy career will wither away wherever he ends up. Best case, his a shadow of his former self. 

The thing that bugs me about this is the behaviour from the club has come across as incredibly indecisive and shambolic. Either the club wasn't fully aligned on the standards they set themselves and have fallen apart the moment they were tested. Or we're doing some bizarre gambit where 'we're thinking of trading him but maybe not, let's have a meeting to work it out'.

Both scenarios just makes the club look terrible. People might argue that definitively putting Oliver on the trade table would have gotten us a worse deal, but I can't imagine the difference would have been much worse than what we'll end up getting back from Geelong. Reputation matters. We've already scared away Houston this year and I doubt any decent player will be wanting to join us for a while.

• Like 6