Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

What perplexes me is how can the coach Simon Goodwin and the CEO Gary Pert be on different pages?!

Shouldn't Simon Goodwin be making these decisions? If he wants Clayton Oliver to stay a Demon then he should do so.

Gary Pert should not be contradicting what Simon Goodwin wants. That will only cause further drama and resentment.

This speculation is not helping the Melbourne Football Club at all. In fact, it is ripping the Club apart regarding a beloved player in Clayton Oliver.

We need to see leadership from those in charge at the Melbourne Football Club. We want to know what the hell is going on?!

If Gary Pert is behind pushing out Clayton Oliver then Gary Pert needs to be sacked!

I suggest all Melbourne supporters who are angry with CEO Gary Pert regarding this whole fiasco about Clayton Oliver to send him an email.

Gary Pert's email can be found here: [email protected]

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

I'm having my 2 bobs worth. We should toughen up and tell Oliver he stays as a Demon and get your act together. See you on 1st day of preseason training. Only thing to do UNLESS some fantastic offer is made to us otherwise, we play hard ball. 

The club is to weak to play hardball

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

It’s really becoming like the Watts situation. Much loved fan favourite, all the talent in the world, someone you’d love to have a beer with, but just not professional enough. 

it’s a huge fall from grace for Clarry as coaching department inclusive of the Roos era we’re saying he was the most professional and competitive person they had ever seen. 

I remember thinking we got rolled for the Jack watts Trade, but the player brought in for him Fritsch, we don’t win the flag without him. 

I’m sad to see him go as I love our players. But I’m missing the player we was 2 years ago, not the one he is now who can’t even poll 1 brownlow vote in a season. 

He got 3 votes vs the Bulldogs rd1.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

What perplexes me is how can the coach Simon Goodwin and the CEO Gary Pert be on different pages?!

Shouldn't Simon Goodwin be making these decisions? If he wants Clayton Oliver to stay a Demon then he should do so.

Gary Pert should not be contradicting what Simon Goodwin wants. That will only cause further drama and resentment.

This speculation is not helping the Melbourne Football Club at all. In fact, it is ripping the Club apart regarding a beloved player in Clayton Oliver.

We need to see leadership from those in charge at the Melbourne Football Club. We want to know what the hell is going on?!

If Gary Pert is behind pushing out Clayton Oliver then Gary Pert needs to be sacked!

I suggest all Melbourne supporters who are angry with CEO Gary Pert regarding this whole fiasco about Clayton Oliver to send him an email.

Gary Pert's email can be found here: [email protected]

One theory: Goodwin has to say he still wants Clarry in case a deal doesnt get done. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

I'm having my 2 bobs worth. We should toughen up and tell Oliver he stays as a Demon and get your act together. See you on 1st day of preseason training. Only thing to do UNLESS some fantastic offer is made to us otherwise, we play hard ball. 

"DEJA VU"  2nd season ? 🤔🤷🙄

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, von said:

If Clarry goes and pert stays I am officially out. It will give me much more time on weekends to work on playing on the champions tour. The short game still needs work.

Let me know if you’re around Byron way for a hit

27 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

We’ve instigated this. 

Which means we’ve lost the bargaining power to hold him. 

It’s, IMO, a monumental mismanagement of one of the 5 best players this club has ever had. 

I don't understand why everyone is blaming the club for taking this course of action. Without being inside the club, you don't really know how much of a detractor Oliver has been.

Oliver went off the rails last year because he was a DH. Not because of mismanagement. He has been guided and supported his whole adult life and he is still making terrible life decisions at 27. If anything, I would praise the club for being able to turn Oliver into such a wonderful player over the last decade despite his personality issues.

There was no way to orchestrate a trade without the media getting knowledge of it. The opposition clubs and Oliver's manager were always going to let it out to increase their bargaining power. The other clubs don't want to bring in a distraction on a huge wage.

The MFC's choices are either a terrible trade or stick with Oliver and his roughly $1.4m contract for the next 6 years. I hope we have the courage to walk things back if the offer is too outrageous, particularly in terms of dollars.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

This makes me hate Trac even more. Doesn't like his behaviour but has no issue with the player, just the club? Makes no [censored] sense.

Am I missing something? Where in what you quoted, does it say that Trac didn’t like Oliver’s behaviour?

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Apparently Pert acted alone & there are a lot of angry people inside the Club…

The B&F could be the highlight of 2024

If true, both Pert and Goodwin going into 2025 together is untenable. 

And again, if true, the board must remove the CEO as soon as possible. Whether or not such actions are justified, going rogue is inexcusable. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

I'm completely fed up with our club. What a debacle. If Clarry leaves we ain't contenders any time soon.

If Clarry plays like he did this season the Dees won't be contending anyway. Early in the season he had a few good games. He was a passenger for the rest of the year and in some games he was a mere shadow of his former self.

He isn't Clarry from 2021. I question if he will ever get back to that but if he can get back to 80 or 85% of the old Clarry in time, he is still a good footballer.

Clarry isn't the first star sportsman to drive their sporting career into the ground due to outside factors, won't be the last.

The real question is how disruptive is he to the rest of the squad, team dynamic? I have no insights into that ... 🤔

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

If this is true, his job is untenable 

• Like 2

Just now, Mel Bourne said:

If true, both Pert and Goodwin going into 2025 together is untenable. 

It would seem that way. As i said Apparently. Cannot be 100% at this stage 

37 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

There is some history repeating here though.  We cant seem to hold on or foster decent players through a crisis it seems.

Some end up leaving and turn it around at other club (clubs who are better at doing so?) and end up turning their footy career around.

The latest Clazz saga feels like history repeating for me.

A large part of why we are where we are on this of course might be on Claz but the question has to be asked, why us so often?

We just don't feel like a destination club for whatever reason, even after a recent premiership.

Quite sad really.  We had a great opportunity post 2021 and it's looking more and more like we may have blown it.

This is the biggest issue for me. Or at least the equal biggest issue. The loss of Oliver, one of the best to ever wear the colours, is immense. Generational talent like that is… obviously rare. His likely loss will also be compounded by Tracc likely going as well. These things have cascading effects. Other team members see this, as do prospective trades and recruits. Why would they stay/join? 

It took us SO LONG to return to building some respect and redefining our culture… and through some bad luck yes, but mostly mismanagement we are looking at a dire 2025 - can’t see us doing better than bottom 4, we were very close with both Clarry and Tracc playing although admittedly to different degrees. Beyond that, HOW are we going to build for the future? Why would talent want to come to us? The reality is half of what has been said about us is likely not true, but it doesn’t matter, it’s perception. Talent will have the option of another safer stabler team likely with better talent and not their midfield obliterated, and us, which may be plagued by talk of culture, crappy Comms, board drama etc. prospect of years at the bottom. 

So. How will be recover from this? Seriously. And I’m sure we will. Some day I guess. But will it take another 10 years in  the doldrums? We had a real chance to finally stamp our return to relevance and I fear we have blown it.

What a waste.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Absolutely no way anyone other than about 5 people know definitively what’s going on. Lies, damn lies and Sam McClure tweets are all we have to go on. 

Someone might want to spread the word it’s all Pert so they don’t get offside with the player. Someone else might want to suggest the footy dept are all in it together so it looks like a group decision. Someone might want to suggest it’s driven by the playing group, someone else might want to suggest it’s Trac pushing it and someone else again might want to rebut that so they don’t look like the bad guy. 

No one is telling the complete truth while something like this goes on, and probably not even after it’s done. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

These never ending dramas with our club are really bringing me down.

Love for the game is truly being tested big time.

I fear our membership numbers will take severe nose dive next season .

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

One of the many things that I don’t understand about this why would we shop him round to cats who have the least trade capital, why would we not be shopping him to north or saints or hawks

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

The prevailing narrative in AFL circles was that some people got away with murder while the team was winning. 

Including the coach (best mates)

• Like 1