PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

5 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

We just need a contest in the ruck, and he's more than proved he's a good contested mark forward and back.

Reminds me of the 88 GF. Lost strawbs for suspension so swooper goes in with Danny Hughes from memory for first bounce. Didn't work really.

Not season ending but draper is a serious player and coaches will be earning their pay this week. Win, and it will be historic.

I've still got us making finals with a loss to bombers

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Reminds me of the 88 GF. Lost strawbs for suspension so swooper goes in with Danny Hughes from memory for first bounce. Didn't work really.

Not season ending but draper is a serious player and coaches will be earning their pay this week. Win, and it will be historic.

Is Draper a serious player though?

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Stop it with the harmony and politeness. Have you forgotten where you are Uncle? This is Demonland and respect and manners don't go unpunished. 

I can abuse and belittle better than most deever ! ( my time in rehab testifies to that )

I just can't [censored] be bothered anymore. 

The amount of [censored] on Demonland nowadays is overwhelming. 

PS. This comment does not refer to my civilised discussion with Binman's PA.

PPS. I mean self righteous  bull [censored] from both the over sanctimonious Pollyannas and the loony chicken littles.

P

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 2

15 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Think back to 2017. 

We went 5-4 in the games without Max, losing those 4 games by a combination of just 34 points.

We can beat Essendon without Max. Freo will be tougher.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I can abuse and belittle better than most deever ! ( my time in rehab testifies to that )

I just can't [censored] be bothered anymore. 

The amount of [censored] on Demonland nowadays is overwhelming. 

PS. This comment does not refer to my civilised discussion with Binman's PA.

PPS. I mean self righteous  bull [censored] from both the over sanctimonious Pollyannas and the loony chicken littles.

P

Good post Bbo.

I've never read a belittling or abusive post from you.

I'm sure you can match wits either best of us.

For what it's worth I really enjoy your sense of humour as it balances out a lot of the agro posts here.

Life is way too short to crack the ....at people here.

It's hard enough dealing with people in the real world at times so I don't get those who fight online as well.

I guess DL is pretty much a microcosm.

Happy Monday mate.

I think I'll go and pour myself a nice single malt.

29 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

PPS. I mean self righteous  bull [censored] from both the over sanctimonious Pollyannas and the loony chicken littles

How very dare you! Those are the Landers I most admire.

Slanderous claptrap!

😎

BBB in as ruck. Has the height and tank, ahh forgot the knees.

TMac as ruck, done it before, ahh forgot the foot.

Tommo as ruck. Has the tank but not the height. Maybe the new Pedo.

Ferral as ruck. Big ask of a kid.

Fullerton as ruck. Guess so.

22 hours ago, Nasher said:

Even if absolutely nothing else good happens this year, I hope we rip Essendon a new one to the point where the entire football world calls them out for the pretenders they are, and their rancid, smug fans realise that this is yet another false dawn and that they’re still as irrelevant as ever.

Please?

I don’t think they’ve suffered enough yet.

My mate at work said this is Essendon’s easiest game and will be a cakewalk.

Will be happy if this is our last win of the season just to rub it in. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

FB: Bowey.      May.      Lever 

HB:  Mcvee.    Mcdonald.     AMW

C:    Langdon.  Rivers.   Windsor 

HF: Tholstrup   Turner    Pickett 

FF: Fritsch       JVR        Milkshake

F: Fullarton   Oliver.    Viney 

I/C Chandler Sparrow ANB  Salem

McAdam (sub)

• Like 2

Some strange people on here who think their projections for the future are realism.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Kent said:

No Petty please

Ditto.  Not the greatest in the ruck and isn't kicking goals.

Reset for next season with some time at Casey and a full pre-season needed.

Was not missed at all on the weekend and we actually looked better all round up forward.  Much more mobile and dangerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demongirl35 said:

My mate at work said this is Essendon’s easiest game and will be a cakewalk.

Will be happy if this is our last win of the season just to rub it in. 

I'm sorry DGirl he might be a mate but he is [censored]. I have a similar "mate" who is a Collingwood [censored]. Why oh why.

• Love 1

I’d actually bring in Petty and Tomlinson. You can’t replace Max, but you can try and replicate him (á la moneyball). 

Essendon are the land of the giants. They have 4-5 tall forwards that rotate through in 2MP, Caddy, Langford, Jones and Stringer. Lever on Langford will be a disaster as Langford is a smart footballer who’ll know how to diffuse Lever. I’d bring in Tomlinson to play on Caddy, McDonald on 2MP and May on Langford. This will free up Lever to roam free and help with our intercepts behind the ball.

Petty comes in and shares ruck duty with JvR/Turner. Petty’s contested marking is really on the improve.

I don’t rate Draper at all. He’s a lazy footballer and very average when he drifts forward. I’m not really worried about his around the ground work.

Ins: Tomlinson, Lever

Out: Gawn, Woewodin

Sub: AmW

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Rankine got 4 weeks? Must’ve been a bad hit 

That's ridiculous. The lions player ran at him.

• Like 1

Sparrow plays the defensive midfield role and his two way running is very important to our structure.

He’s not getting dropped the same way those for several seasons ago wanted Nibbler dropped.

If stats are low it doesn’t mean a player is no good

• Like 11

Max out not ideal , but put it behind us mentally and don’t worry about who we haven’t got just worry about who we have got.

Positive side is the injury is early in the week and gives us plenty of time to review footage, prepare a plan and go in with that plan.Nullifying Merret will be a big plus if we can manage that

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Sparrow plays the defensive midfield role and his two way running is very important to our structure.

He’s not getting dropped the same way those for several seasons ago wanted Nibbler dropped.

If stats are low it doesn’t mean a player is no good

I'm open to persuasion, and will note that just earlier today saw some stats of not merely his volume of running but the fact it is done at pace in both directions. If he's getting a job done then carry on, but I'll hold onto the feeling that he could be a bit more potent in general. It is a struggle seeing someone with proper Pantene commercial hair seem so flat and lacking bounce and volume.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The clear group of youngest teams last round were North at 24 years 9 months, Gold coast at 24yr 11m, and Adelaide at 25 yrs.

We came in at 25yrs 8 months average age against West Coast (lol we were younger than them).

If it is Fullarton in for Gawn then we drop by 7yrs total, or about 4 months average over the team. Make that 12yrs difference if we try out one of the ruck kids.

Realistically we could be putting out the fourth youngest team for the round. Go stealth rebuild, go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Just looked at the ladder and thought we were two umpiring decisions away from 3rd spot.

Carlton - 1 point loss; dangerous tackle against JVR should have been HTB has a shot with a high goal likelihood.

Brissy - 5 point loss; ANB called deliberate ; plus many other BS calls.

I wonder if anyone within the club would look at this and have a quiet convo with the AFL and say what’s what. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 2

29 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Just looked at thedeliberate ladder and thought we were two umpiring decisions away from 3rd spot.

Carlton - 1 point loss; dangerous tackle against JVR should have been HTB has a shot with a high goal likelihood.

Brissy - 5 point loss; ANB called deliberate ; plus many other BS calls.

I wonder if anyone within the club would look at this and have a quiet convo with the AFL and say what’s what. 

The deliberate was there everyday of the week.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The deliberate was there everyday of the week.

Except this week when Harris Andrews did the exact same thing against Adelaide in the third quarter and a throw in was called.

The commentators even called it “Neale-Bullen like” when describing their shock it wasn’t called. 

FWIW I think the May non called clear mark on the wing and Ed Langdons clear HTB tackle in the backline contributed more to us losing the game than ANB’s call. They’d already drawn even by then whereas the previous two calls happened when we were ahead.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Selection this week will directly underline where EOY reports will be heading.

Will be interesting to say the least.

Edited by beelzebub