Jake Melksham returning

BoBo

Going off MFC socials, Jake will be playing this week. 

I’ve never heard a bad word against this man. When he grabbed the Freo jumper that said ‘Jackson’ a couple years ago and threw it on the ground, it really struck me how much he cares about the jumper and his understanding of what club culture means.

Have a cracker game Jake. 

• Like 8
  • Love 8
  • Clap 3

9 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Did the MFC socials say it’s with Casey or against the Eagles? 

Good Luck Melk! Either way. 

@SFebes

MFC website and Facebook both just say a ‘return to football’ without saying either seniors or Casey.

Im just glad he’s back!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

He’s already had a couple of career renaissances, think this one is a farewell tour at best.

Shame because he was very valuable last year when he got injured 

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

I would be totally ok with us playing him this week potentially as a sub. I guess it depends on how they want to manage his return. If it's more valuable to get minutes into him under less pressure then he goes to Casey. But if he's put the body of work in and he's ready for it we all know we could use a forward target!

Either way all the best to him!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pates said:

I would be totally ok with us playing him this week potentially as a sub. I guess it depends on how they want to manage his return. If it's more valuable to get minutes into him under less pressure then he goes to Casey. But if he's put the body of work in and he's ready for it we all know we could use a forward target!

Either way all the best to him!

If he's sub, should he be one for the whole last 3 minutes of the game? 😁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If he's sub, should he be one for the whole last 3 minutes of the game? 😁

I bloody hope not, sadly there is no senior coach in the AFL worse at utilising the sub. Smith was the only time it ever looked like we might have an idea of how to use it, and giving Brown a total of 14min of match time across two matches is disgraceful. (Triggered me big time with that!)

Edited by Pates
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pates said:

I bloody hope not, sadly there is no senior coach in the AFL worse at utilising the sub. Smith was the only time it ever looked like we might have an idea of how to use it, and giving Brown a total of 14min of match time across two matches is disgraceful. (Triggered me big time with that!)

Me too and apologies for derailing the thread.

I'm very happy to see Jake back in action.

• Like 2

When he is ready hopefully he will come in for Fritsch who has been bang average.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3
  • Thinking 1

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Jake Melksham. Two years ago, I thought he was done and glad he hit the 💯 for the Dee’s. Then, when he did the ACL, he could have legitimately retired. Instead, he doubles down and gets back ahead of schedule.

He is what our forward line is desperately missing: not just his kicking (although he’s a super kick), not just his contest (although he can lock down any key defender) but it will be his smarts and leadership which will help steady and form our young and rudderless forward line.

• Like 13
  • Clap 2

Age should not be a problem, when he went out, he was playing extremely well. 
he has had 10 months to get his body cherry ripe. He will have no niggles holding him back.

perhaps his mental attitude is another matter but watching him last week on the bench. He cannot wait. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We could genuinely use his leadership in our makeshift attack. Fritta is the most experienced forward we have and he’s not a leader, nor is he in great form. 
Having Melksham there to help the likes of Roo and Disco can only be a good thing. 

If he’s done enough match loading he can play as a deep forward. It’s not a position that requires him to have done a lot of match practice, especially with his experience. It just comes down to fitness. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Jake Melksham. Two years ago, I thought he was done and glad he hit the 💯 for the Dee’s. Then, when he did the ACL, he could have legitimately retired. Instead, he doubles down and gets back ahead of schedule.

He is what our forward line is desperately missing: not just his kicking (although he’s a super kick), not just his contest (although he can lock down any key defender) but it will be his smarts and leadership which will help steady and form our young and rudderless forward line.

If you can't get around this story, then you don't have a heart.

It's a long shot but I've always backed the underdog with It's back against the wall.

If this comeback gains momentum it will be an off the charts type spiritual awakening for the club and the man they call Jake the Snake.

🤞👏🙌🫶♥️

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Melksham can lead us to the premiership and the promised land we all deserve.  Both him and Tomlinson deserve a fairy tale we all want.  Why the hell not !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can only assume this come back is via Casey for around a half.

Monitor / assess how he pulls up then a bit more at either Casey if all's well or maybe a return vs the Bombers as sub?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoBo said:

Going off MFC socials, Jake will be playing this week. 

I’ve never heard a bad word against this man. When he grabbed the Freo jumper that said ‘Jackson’ a couple years ago and threw it on the ground, it really struck me how much he cares about the jumper and his understanding of what club culture means.

Have a cracker game Jake. 

He was critised from goal to goal post on here on a weekly basis until you all suddenly decided you liked him.

Mr Petty says hullo 

A new level of selective memory has been reached

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jibroni said:

When he is ready hopefully he will come in for Fritsch who has been bang average.

Oh God Fritsch is not getting dropped ffs, hes our only fwd besides kozzie who can bang on 4-5 goals in 20 mins of football. He's out of form so what he'll be back. Such a generated robotic comment.

• Like 8

Personally I’m hoping that he plays two at Casey to get him cherry ripe for the backend of the year and hopefully finals, Jake is the seasoned head that we need in our forward line, he could be the difference. Welcome back Jake.💕

• Like 4

Jake had a couple of poor seasons that saw him dropped a few times. Very inconsistent

Things clicked last year so hopefully he can recreate that form. But he won’t transform us

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I have to challenge the 'never heard a bad word' about Melksham. I've heard plenty. But almost entirely from Essendon supporters so it doesn't really count.

Anyway, he is super professional with preparation and managing his body, and one of the best players in the game when it comes to getting the ball to dangerous people in dangerous places. He has been very active around the bench and coaches box, and is a thinking footballer.

I expect he'll be a meaningful part of our glorious charge to finals and might even be playing against his old club (just to annoy me ex, to be sure) in a couple of weeks.

Once he has the 2024 premiership medal around his neck, he'll be an interesting prospect for assistant coaching.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Thought he would rank with Heffernan amongst the worst trade recruits we’d ever had

It was when he played a ‘defensive forward’ role on JJ in the game vs Footscray that Lever did his knee in that I thought ‘wow, he’s got something about him’

From then on, he’s been a great player - the goals vs hawks in the 18 finals series and last year’s match winner vs the bears are etched long in my memory

Straight back into seniors for mine

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IRW said:

He was critised from goal to goal post on here on a weekly basis until you all suddenly decided you liked him.

Mr Petty says hullo 

A new level of selective memory has been reached

I personally have only heard very good things about him as a person (could be things I don’t know?) which I like. If people want to criticise him for his footy (fairly or unfairly)… I’m glad he’s playing again?

• Like 1