POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

Being realistic we cannot be considered serious contenders this year. (Sydney is and perhaps any one that ends up top four at season end).  
Strange game this. I felt gutted by last week’s win, but gained some hope with this week’s loss. 
Hoping that we can somehow make the finals. Not caring or thinking about higher draft picks if we finish lower. 
Just want to see us play finals. You got to be in it to win it (but refer to my first sentence). It is a long off season. GO DEES!

• Like 2

If we look at this game with a glass half full mentality, (which I think is the more healthy way of looking at it for the sake of everyone's mental health) the trend is that we are improving. 

Yes, we need to work on our fourth quarters, but at least we are back at winning key performance indicators in the game. The woeful performances against West Coast and Freo weren't that long ago, and many had written us off last night. We performed really well, and many of the Brisbane errors came from our pressure, rather than them having an off night. 

Much of the improvement is due to our younger players stepping up. This is so encouraging. 

We will continue to improve and I'm so proud of being a MFC support today.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Deesprate said:

Fagan presser was interesting gave no credit to the Dees at all. The closeness of the game was due to their kicking and errors. The second quarter was also nothing to do with Dee’s. At least Goody recognises good play of the opposition. Fagan came across as a real twerp. Also does anyone know what the interaction between Fagan and Petty was at game end. Pretty intense conversation and it wasn’t pleasantries. 

Looked like pleasantries to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Picket what does that actually mean?

I mean, it's your right to post what you want about the club. Vent all you like. Ditto for others too of course.

But are you seriously suggesting a fan knocking the club on a footy forum will actually help us improve - ie is part of the solution?

The only realistic way fans can be part of any 'solution' that leads to on field improvement is SUPPORTING the club.

Turn up to games, if you can (I was shocked to read someone on here saying they would refuse go to games as some sort of protest- that is literally the opposite of support).

Buy a membership, if you van

Don't buy into, and reinforce, the nonsense the media peddle about the dees (we all can do that).

Hell, even push back against such nonsense. 

That's what we can do to help.

I do actually buy memberships, go to games, go to Casey watch magoos! Go to alternate grounds as well,some REFUSE to go to Casey coz its too far. That's all I'll say!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

A lot of LEARNINGS to come out of this game.

Good to see the young blokes yesterday playing like they belonged. 

Absolute shirty about how we played first and last quarters, but Brisbane played well in the 4th,

I think I felt there was bias, did we get any free kicks from Brisbane grabbing our guys incorrectly or was it just our tackles that got us those kicks ?   If this is shown to be true we should ask questions, don't be nice about it.

Umpires should be paid more but have decisions reviewed by someone with no bias. And it should be transparent.

the 50 metre against Petty was by the crowd reaction, pathetic, and Rivers running too far plain wrong.  ANB did dive over, but heat of the moment, not why we lost.

Our forwards try hard, and at least we came to play last night. BUT there does not seem any clear connection or plan about who to pass it to or where to run when bringing the ball into our F50.  We did seem to do OK in the 2nd though.

But 3 quarters for 3 goals,   that's our problem.  Not happy  bring on 2025

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I don’t mind that. We’d be a far lesser team without Lever and May, so if bickering is what makes them tick, please keep ticking on. 

Yes - I don’t think they’re bickering. They just hate conceding and so dissect each goal with a robust discussion. The Lever-May relationship seems built on respect and honest feedback!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I do actually buy memberships, go to games, go to Casey watch magoos! Go to alternate grounds as well,some REFUSE to go to Casey coz its too far. That's all I'll say!

Go to training which from training reports you do and have a chat with Fritta, man to man call him hairstyle, speak to Goody tell him he has no idea and that Jeffo at the weight he is should be playing and taking the #1 defender up the ground like Petty is. Tell him Fritta at 14cm shorter nullifying Andrews was a dumb move

Stop being a keyboard warrior and actually man up

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Still absolutely livid with anger that we lost!

The Demons players literally [censored] the bed against the Lions after half time.

Another goalless last quarter was humiliating too!

I told my Dees-supporting buddy to prepare to have their heart broken at the start of the last quarter. Not because I thought we were going to “soil the bed” (which thankfully they didn’t do “literally”), but because I felt we had just one too many young fellas out there without the necessary tanks/mind-sets to complete the task.

But I drew a helluva lot of positives out of that match. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No it wasn't lol. 

They were both smiling and having a chuckle together. They both have clearly had interactions previously with the whole Petty and Zorko situation few years back.

I don’t understand how anyone could have watched that footage of Petty and Fagan and thought there was any animosity there. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Like an old married couple. 

I tell you what, Lever helped our structure immensely but he was really testing my patience with the umpires and his standing the mark.

I would have paid multiple 50’s against him for being an [censored].

Strange cat

• Vomit 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What's up with our fitness? It seems to have deteriorated each year since 2021 to the point where now we struggle to run out games. In 2021 we used it as a weapon to run over teams in the 2nd half now we're lucky to hang on to 5-6 goal leads. It can't all be down to changed personnel.

Seven players out there between 18-21 years of age. Tanks don’t get built quickly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

It’s time we question our fitness and conditioning and get some fresh faces in this area in 2025.

Our fourth quarters have been a total shambles this year  

Thoughts @binman?

We're loading.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Don't matter, he is Hinkley 2.0

Will be sacked in 2 or 3 years with no flag to show for. Mark my words.

100%. With Fagan and Zorko, Rayner, Daniher, Hipwood, Andrews, Berry and more their leadership and culture stuff sucks. They're world beaters one week, meek and timid the next, [censored] the one after that. 

Very few level headed individuals in that side and they're carried by Neale and Dunkley, who are both champions in that regard. 

It's always been their problem and it's why they won't win a flag. They recruit good footballers but sub-par humans. 

Every club has a few (us too) but they seem to have a critical mass of poor characters.

Difference in last year's flag imo - Collingwood aren't/weren't a better footy side but have exceptional leadership with McRae and level headed guys on each line in Daicos*2, Pendlebury, Moore, sidebottom, mihocek etc that cover the yo-yos of De Goey, Maynard etc.

On the big day that stuff matters a lot 

2 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

Got to meet @WalkingCivilWar last night. Anyone who is critical of her really should think before they post  

Who Dis???

JK. Such a pleasure to meet you, G

You’re spot on about Lions fans. Idk if you were there when we had the problem of their fans refusing to get out of our area while we were trying to pack up our gear. The bastards flatly refused to move.

Oh and easiest money for jam job? That’d have to be Security at the Gabba. Despite them always being plentiful, they’re absolutely useless when called upon. Our request to have the area cleared is a legit request. At every other ground it’s ensured. Not at that festering sh!tt-hole of a ground.

But anyways, yeah, lovely to put a face to the name. 🙂

• Sad 1

We had 4 players miss clutch goals in the last, Sparrows was hard but to kick it out on the full was terrible, Langdon, Clarry and Fritsch all missed from the same spot 35m out basically in front in the last.

Would love for JVR to play forward and not Forward ruck.  Seemed every time we needed him forward he was either on the bench or in the ruck.

Positive like others have mentioned collectively our your boys played the best they have for the club.  They will get a lot of opportunities to show us their ability over the next 2 months.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

It’s time we question our fitness and conditioning and get some fresh faces in this area in 2025.

Our fourth quarters have been a total shambles this year  

Thoughts @binman?

I think it is totally reasonable to question the high performance program. Fitness is clearly an issue for us.

I wish a reporter would ask that exact question

But what I would say is that it is really hard to make a reasoned assessment of the high performance program because there is so much we don't know and so little analysis by the media about clubs high performance programs in general.

So for example, we can see we are not yet fit enough to run out games. 

But what is not clear is the impact of internal, behind the scene factors (that we as fans uusually know nothing about - eg motivation of players, niggles they might be carrying etc) or the impact of factors that we do know about, for example:

- goody has emphasised trying to engineer playing our best footy in the back half of the season: has this philosophy informed our high performance program's planning (logic would suggest yes)?

- we are playing a modified method, less reliant on winning the contest: how has that impacted a program that had previously emphasised power?

-our schedule had been nuts, and we have had two byes: how has that impacted planning?

- we lost two of our fittest, best 22 senior players in gus and Smithy in the off season. And you could add a third in melk, and a 4th in Ben bBrown (and salo and lleverhave both missed 4 games too): that's huge in terms of the teams overall fitness, not least because they have had basically had to be replaced by young players; but how big an impact has that had?

- mutiple players had interrupted preseasons: we know that always had an impact oon overall teams ffitness  how much of an impact had had it on us?

- we have carried two players in petts and Clarry who have been a long way from optimal fitness (with the goal of being fit as possible in the second half of the year - positive signs last night on that front): it must have an impact on our capacity to run out games as a whole, but how much?

- we had 10 players in the team last night, nearly half, who have played less than 50 games. And we had three players in their first season of AFL football: we know endurance and strength develop from a base and each preseason players start at a new level of fitness, ie its accumulative: what is the impact of having so many players in the side comming off only one, two or three preseasons? Or even dealing with the rigours of half a season of AFL football and needing to back up week in, week out?

- how much does the program have to be adjusted when so many young players are in the 23?

So many variables. 

Sure work rate is party mental, but the reality is if players are leg tired no amount of will power will help them cover the ground at pace, which is what is required of all players to make any method work.

I'm hopeful that we will be much better at running out games and much closer to optimal fitness as a whole group, pretty much from this point on.

I think we saw the start of that improvement last week and even more so last night.

I mean how could anyone watch the second quarter, how we were running in waves, creating overlap and transitioning wnd to end, amd compare it to say the freo game where looked like we had lead in our boots, and think our fitness isn't on an upward trajectory?

Edited by binman
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, binman said:

I think it is totally reasonable to question the high performance program. Fitness is clearly an issue for us.

But what I would say is that it is really hard to make a reasoned assessment of the high performance program because there is so much we don't know and so little analysis by the media about clubs high performance programs in general.

But what is not clear is the impact of internal, behind the scene factors (that we as fans usually no nothing about - eg motivation of players, niggles they might be carrying etc) and a range of factors that we do know about, for example:

- goody has emphasised trying to engineer playing our best footy in the back half of the season: has this philosophy informed our high performance program's planning (logic would suggest yes)

- we are playing a modified method, less reliant on winning the contest: how has that impacted a program that had previously emphasised power?

-our schedule had been nuts, and we have had two byes: how has that impacted planning?

- we lost two of our fittest, best 22 senior players in gus and Smithy in the off season. And you coukd add a third in melk, and a 4th in ben brown (and lever missed 4 games goo): that's huge in terms of the teams overall fitness, not least because they have had basically had to be replaced by young players; but how big an impact has that had?

- mutiple players had interrupted preseasons: we know that always had an impact on teams fitness - how much of an impact had had it on us?

- we have carried two players in petts and Clarry who have been a long way from optimal fitness (with the goal of being fir as possible in the second half of the year - positive signs last night on that front): ir must have an impact on the teams capacity to run out games as a whole, but how much?

- we had 10 players in the team last night, nearly half, who have played less than 50 games. We had three players in their first season of AFL football: we know endurance and strength develop from a base and each preseason players start at a new level of fitness, ie its accumulative: what is the impact of having so many players in the side comming off only one, two or three preseasons? Or even dealing with the rigours of half a season of AFL football and needing to back up week in, week out?

- how much does the program have to be adjusted when so many young players ate in the 23?

So many variables. 

Sure work rate is party mental, but the reality is if players are leg tired no amount of will power will help them cover the ground at pace, which is what is required of all players to make any method work.

I'm hopeful that we will be much better at running out games and much closer to optimal fitness as a whole group, pretty much from this point on.

I think we saw the start of that improvement last week and even more so last night.

I mean how could anyone watch the second quarter, how we were running in waves, creating overlap and transitioning wnd to end, amd compare it to say the freo game where looked like we had lead in our boots, and think our fitness isn't on an upward trajectory?

With this many variables why would anyone bet on footy. At least with horses you have a pretty clear path of preparation and only one selection which is complicated b 23 individuals all coming off a different plan.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, binman said:

But what is not clear is the impact of internal, behind the scene factors (that we as fans usually no nothing about - eg motivation of players, niggles they might be carrying etc) and a range of factors that we do know about, for example:

- goody has emphasised trying to engineer playing our best footy in the back half of the season: has this philosophy informed our high performance program's planning (logic would suggest yes)

- we lost two of our fittest, best 22 senior players in gus and Smithy in the off season. And you coukd add a third in melk, and a 4th in ben brown (and lever missed 4 games goo): that's huge in terms of the teams overall fitness, not least because they have had basically had to be replaced by young players; but how big an impact has that had?

- mutiple players had interrupted preseasons: we know that always had an impact on teams fitness - how much of an impact had had it on us?

- we have carried two players in petts and Clarry who have been a long way from optimal fitness (with the goal of being fir as possible in the second half of the year - positive signs last night on that front): ir must have an impact on the teams capacity to run out games as a whole, but how much?

- we had 10 players in the team last night, nearly half, who have played less than 50 games. We had three players in their first season of AFL football: we know endurance and strength develop from a base and each preseason players start at a new level of fitness, ie its accumulative: what is the impact of having so many players in the side comming off only one, two or three preseasons? Or even dealing with the rigours of half a season of AFL football and needing to back up week in, week out?

- how much does the program have to be adjusted when so many young players ate in the 23?

So many variables. 

Put it bluntly poor coaching in the last quarter, allowing everyone to be in the lions front half and no one to be further back down the ground was crazy, even allowing the lions back line to virtually walk the ball out every time.