Steven May staging fine

dazzledavey36

I am not at all defending what Steven May did because it was clearly staging, but far out, there are dozens of incidents every single game that fall into the catagory of staging ignored. blokes raising their arm to draw high contact, diving forward to draw in the back, throwing their heads back. 

if they're going to issue fines for staging i completely support it but it just looks ridiculous when there was probably 100 staging incidents this weekend and they've fined 1. 

Some blokes would probably end up in the negative by the time they paid all their fines if it was officiated consistently.

• Like 10
  • Angry 2

So are we going to fine every player that drops their knees and raises their arm in a tackle to get draw a high tackle free kick. Don't agree with what may did but trying to con the umps into a free kick happens 30+ time a game and every player does it at some stage. 

If it wasn't highlighted in the media it wouldn't have drawn a fine. Maybe the AFL should review every game for staging will be a nice earner for them

Edited by Bates Mate
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

How about a retroactive one for Rozee in-front of goal? Or about 100 other players.

Lets be honest, May did it to reverse what would’ve been a heinous holding the ball free.

Now, why Steven May is a deer in the headlights and can’t run with the footy I don’t know but it’s been an escalating problem for a while. The big fella doesn’t like being tackled.

Might still have some issues with the ribs & back

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

This league has lost the plot seriously

Our club’s executive needs to call this out - I’d love to see allllll the other unsanctioned staging incidents and a please explain issued to the league

fine with May being pinged but by golly some consistency is needed

Or else, as The Black Crowes sang, it’s a Conspiracy. 

By the way, geez they were epic when they toured last year. 

• Like 1

Had to laugh.   Jack Riewoldt was discussing this on Fox last night.

Him, Lynch and Grimes were constantly fighting for 'the best Stager' Oscar when they played together.

Walsh & Cripps also aiming for that award weekly.  Walsh should be in the mix this week!

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

I find it incredible that legitimate football commentators and media personalities are more upset with Steven May for pretending to be hit in the head than they are at Brayden Maynard for actually hitting a guy in the head resulting in a premature end to his career. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 3
  • Thinking 1
  • Angry 2

Of course it had to be melbourne. Perennial whipping team when it comes to new interpretations of rules.

How many. staging fines have been handed down in het past 10 years?

Complete BS. Like the 70m penalty against Oliver

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 4

3 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Sorry but this gets fined but the countless of other garbage staging we’ve seen for years doesn’t?

There is not a day that goes by where I don’t hate the AFL more 

I didn’t like it and I’m fine with the punishment. Just be consistent tho for goodness sake. Nick Daicos would NEVER get fined for doing the same and worse. 

Agree 100%.

He deserved the fine, just as much as at least 6 others this year that were ignored.

Another first for the Dees, the first staging fine this year and maybe for a couple of years..

I love the pile on from the media once again, about how disgusting this act was. Really, disgusting?

I will tell you what was disgusting, the media defending a thug who ended a player’s career. That was truly disgusting, trying to even blame the victim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Clap 5

Don't mind him getting fined if they do it more. What I didn't like was that he was getting pinged the HTB initially before it got flipped. The ump got it all wrong, should've just been a ball up and moved on.

• Clap 2

The only thing one can legitimately say about the AFL and the MRO in particular is that they are always consistently inconsistent. 

And what is the betting that May will get his head ripped off several times in the next few weeks and will not get a free kick.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

How about a retroactive one for Rozee in-front of goal? Or about 100 other players.

Lets be honest, May did it to reverse what would’ve been a heinous holding the ball free.

Now, why Steven May is a deer in the headlights and can’t run with the footy I don’t know but it’s been an escalating problem for a while. The big fella doesn’t like being tackled.

Maybe it’s something to do with those cracked ribs?

• Like 1

I’m furious about this. We keep getting made an example of when this happens every round. Take a good look at teams such as Collingwood and Carlton - I can guarantee their players will never get sighted and they do this on a regular basis. 

Edited by jane02
Edit
  • Like 9

May put a heap of mayo on it, deserves the fine. However, it was not holding the ball. He had no prior and was making an attempt. The umpire should have blown a ball-up quicker, but the incessant whinging from North fans had spooked him. 

secondly, where was Daicos’ fine for this incident? I haven’t read the outraged media reports:

Was he fined? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

So are we going to fine every player that drops their knees and raises their arm in a tackle to get draw a high tackle free kick. Don't agree with what may did but trying to con the umps into a free kick happens 30+ time a game and every player does it at some stage. 

If it wasn't highlighted in the media it wouldn't have drawn a fine. Maybe the AFL should review every game for staging will be a nice earner for them

I thought this too. Zita on FoxFooty started the whole push. I think he’s a north supporter because he sounded a bit sulky after the game. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Reasonable except for the part where we are the only club these rules seem to apply to... again.

Totally agree. Why is it that we seem to be the ones on the receiving end more often than not. 

Case in point, Max being constantly hit and bumped illegally for the past 6 years, yet nothing is done about it.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

and has been like that since his busted ribs; playing sore

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Of course it had to be melbourne. Perennial whipping team when it comes to new interpretations of rules.

How many. staging fines have been handed down in het past 10 years?

Complete BS. Like the 70m penalty against Oliver

That 70m penalty was absolutely bizarro. Shouldn't have been paid in the first place then raced forward from just beyond the D50 to the F50! WTF?

• Like 4
  • Vomit 1

Friend texted me and said Kate Roffey was just interviewed on the ABC. When asked about this her response was “I haven’t seen it so I can’t comment”. 

Can someone here confirm this? If true that is an appalling response. 

Further to this, I was at the game with two Roos supporters and was genuinely embarrassed when the replays were being shown on the screen. I love Maysie, but this was one of the more blatant stages I’ve seen in recent times, and some of the “whataboutisms” and excuses being hurled around on this thread are borderline delusional. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1