POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

53 minutes ago, Tom Dyson said:

i'll save a post about the game until later but by gee Collingwood fans have sunk to a new low. 

The absolutely vile stuff being said about angus and the championing of maynard made me sick and also just very sad. 

Genuine waste of oxygen, the lot of them. 

Yep. Not only this, but me and my mates had to put up with casual racism throughout as well. Scum of the earth. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 5

25 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

This is almost the end of the line for me and the MFC/AFL. My motivation and interest are at an all time low. I just googled how to cancel my membership FFS! That's how I'm feeling right now. Hearing 10s of thousands of supporters cheering Maynard just doesn't sit well with me. Watching our blokes put in the most disgraceful efforts in four games now (Bris, WCE, Freo, Pies), not to mention the two straight sets exits of 22 and 23. It's broken me. How quickly have we gone from dominating force to irrelevant? It truly is mind boggling.

100%. Salt in the wounds is watching Geelong successfully complete mini rebuilds and attract quality players time and time again to remain contending to years on end. Sydney too.  We seem to be miles off anything near that as a club, on or off the field. Would love to be proven wrong but there just doesn’t seem to be the same noises, confidence or bigger picture being communicated from the coach or club (unlike the Cars or Sydney).  

Edited by Dodos Demons
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He was in pain mate.

Before that Dazz..  id have to watch the 1st qtr again  ( and i won't ) ..

Maybe 5 mins before he was KNEED .

It struck me as though he could already sense it was all unravelling..... that what ever was said  what was instructed was all going oit the window.... or possibly worse.... what they've been told to do ...just doesn't work.

Like watching a sad epiphany.

3 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

Yes Simon, we took a big step forward towards irrelevance.  I thought we had moved on from that, but it seems not.

1 step forward one week after 12 steps back the last week. Net negative

Just my weekly post gently asking that the one player who hasn't had an ineffective disposal in 2 weeks be given a go more around the ball. Our mids are not just butchers they can't 'solve the puzzle' of where or to whom the next possession should go. At one point I saw Oliver remonstrating with him about his decision making and disposal which was peak irony. 

Edited by Jjrogan

25 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

“We took a big step forward today”

A quote from Goodwin’s presser tonight.

'We were not beaten. We didn't win enough seats to form a government, but I do not believe what has occurred
was in any sense a defeat'. Billy Sneddon, 1974.

• Clap 2

Bruise free footy is correct.  

We had enough of the footy to win but are largely impotent and when we do get a shot we burn it. 

But...

Pies were missing half their team 

We didn't pressure the ball

We didn't stick tackles

Aside from 5 or 6 we play like it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 2

Goodwin did mention centre clearance in the context of us getting first hands on the ball and the losing it. This has been a frustration all season, even in our wins, and largely the responsibility of Viney and Oliver.  Goodwin refused to name names, but the press did it for him.  Our biggest concern really is the massive drop off of those two.  1 clearance for Viney and 3 for Oliver .  Only 3 contested possessions for Viney.  At least Oliver his 15.  By comparison, Gawn had 6 clearances and 14 contested. Viney is definitely not the player in our side you want getting uncontested ball. Tracc had 0 clearances in the half that he played - understandable today. Stoppage clearance was about even (them 25-23) but centre 14-6 is just too big a gap.  That's our biggest issue right now and it sits largely with Viney and Oliver.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’m actually not sure if we were better at the contest this week because the Pies lose the contested possession by 20 on average each week.

What disappointed me is that we didn’t make it a scrap. The Pies love the outside ball, and to lose clearances to them and let them get it to the outside was ultimately our downfall. Our centre square and stoppage positioning needs a complete overhaul. 

Regarding any sense of improvement from last week, I think as a fan base we just have to accept that this isn’t going to happen overnight. Maybe get some momentum against North but I can’t see us beating Brisbane at the GABBA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, layzie said:

Not going to be too harsh but I think all things considered a quick handshake and off the ground as fast as possible would have sufficed.

100%. You have to shake hands, but having a laugh with him is not on.

• Like 4

Well the era of dominance was always going to end sooner or later.

I just thought it would be much later given the players ages.

And also not to implode so much.

I thought a more gradual decline.

Also given our start it wouldn't happen this year. 

Boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

The amount of times Oliver got into position to win the ball but then see him blindly bang it onto his boot to nobody was so frustrating and self defeating.

Fully agree, most of the games I've seen in the past two years fully emphasise this tendency - and we all thought that the long bomb era should be over by now. We do not have the cattle to receive this way; in turn, it just doubles our opponents' rebound opportunities, pressurising our backs and leaving our midfielders a return run of around 120metres every intercept, leaving the midline almost open to opposition progress. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

That was just more rubbish.

Zero confidence. Zero intensity. Zero clue.

Deplorable skills. We are playing like a bunch of drunks. I can’t believe how far our form has plummeted in the space of 6 weeks or so. There is something rotten in the club. There’s no demon spirit anymore.

Goody survived one near death experience. He won’t survive another. He needs to sort this out and fast otherwise he’ll be in the jobs market come seasons end.

Goodwin is not a good coach 

Move on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Fully agree, most of the games I've seen in the past two years fully emphasise this tendency - and we all thought that the long bomb era should be over by now. We do not have the cattle to receive this way; in turn, it just doubles our opponents' rebound opportunities, pressurising our backs and leaving our midfielders a return run of around 120metres every intercept, leaving the midline almost open to opposition progress. 

Oliver is broken

1 minute ago, demon3165 said:

Well maybe the players are more grown up than some supporters. 

That's a [censored] poor comment mate how woke are you

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

4 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Well the era of dominance was always going to end sooner or later.

I just thought it would be much later given the players ages.

And also not to implode so much.

I thought a more gradual decline.

Also given our start it wouldn't happen this year. 

Boy was I wrong.

Didn't play another GF let alone even a PF after 2021, very underwhelming.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Are you a serious? One of their best mate’s careers was ended

Not mentioning that he could have suffered even more consequences after that hit. He was laying still for couple of minutes FFS!

• Like 2

Our handballing is disgusting. Clearly no priority put on the simplest of basic skills in the game, it’s where we fall down in most chains whether it be back / mid / forward. So many times today we were out and clean, but then a bumbling and half-hit and I’ll-timed and too-high and most commonly a too-short handball that bounces and doesn’t allow the receiver to keep moving handball completely ruins the chain and then we turn it over (meanwhile team mates have run forward and were exposed out the back).

• Like 4
  • Clap 1